PDA

View Full Version : A return to the cottage system to create jobs?

Johnny Appleseed
11-03-2011, 06:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putting-out_system

I know I would be willing to work for less if I could do it from home. Think of the money you would save in childcare and transportation. Seamstresses, machinist,woodworkers ???

Seraphim
11-03-2011, 06:46 AM
My company has recently started setting up home offices for employees so we can take calls from home (call center).

Our new call system allows us to do that - I'm hoping I can get 5-6 home shifts a month...would be great for saving time and some money on gas/wear and tear (its a 20 year old car too!!! HAHA).

donnay
11-03-2011, 06:46 AM
The problem is, most people have absolutely no useful skills. This country has been driven to not teach manual labor skills. Most people I know, don't even know how to cook a meal from scratch, which is something everyone should know, in order to survive. Now is the time to pay attention and learn a skill, because ultimately you will need one when things get really bad!

Krugerrand
11-03-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm sure Dannno would approve of the Putting Out System.

This idea goes hand-in-hand with the Gandhi thread I just bumped yesterday:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?241094-Gandhi-ties-freedom-living-to-the-freedom-revolution

Summary quote:

He believed that the people of India, the vast majority of whom lived in the villages, would be in no position to take responsibility for governing themselves effectively until they were also able to feed, clothe, and shelter themselves.

TonySutton
11-03-2011, 06:55 AM
This is my current goal. To build an Earthship to lessen my need for societal infrastructure and then operate my business from home.

fisharmor
11-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Hahaha.... "putting-out" system? Wonder how that term got repurposed...?

The problem is, most people have absolutely no skills. This country has been driven to not teach skills. Most people I know, don't even know how to cook a meal from scratch, which is something everyone should know, in order to survive. Now is the time to pay attention and learn a skill, because ultimately you will need one when things get really bad!

Well, I assume you're up in NH and it kind of surprises me that there aren't more people like this up there... but believe it or not, among my circle of friends, most of us had to learn in our thirties when to realize that it's just not worth our time and effort to do something ourselves.

There are tons of hobbyists out there. I never took shop in high school, took only academic courses after school, and I work in IT in an office.
But I'm a competent welder (pretty good with gas, actually), I do a lot of my own auto repairs, I can blacksmith, cast metals, do carpentry work, some cabinetry, gardening, thermoforming plastics, I can sew - even large canvas tents... and like I said, I have a lot of friends who do likewise.

Cottage industry? Bring it! I'm not concerned for those who didn't bother to learn skills - they can do my laundry, or cut my grass, or mop my floor, or any of the other bothersome things that keep me from using my skills.
And if they want to learn the skills? Great, I'll teach them, for a price.

However, one thing that needs to be considered is zoning law. I already dance really close to the edge of being in trouble with the county sometimes. Since meting out irrational punishment is the primary job of the state, I can't imagine that switching over to cottage industry would be met with anything other than nightsticks.

jkr
11-03-2011, 07:05 AM
This is my current goal. To build an Earthship to lessen my need for societal infrastructure and then operate my business from home.

me too! do you have a plan yet?

Dark_Horse_Rider
11-03-2011, 07:15 AM
look at what mass production has done to the world, not to mention the quality, or lack of, of manufactured products

i believe it is the direction things will move

returning to our roots

donnay
11-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Hahaha.... "putting-out" system? Wonder how that term got repurposed...?

Well, I assume you're up in NH and it kind of surprises me that there aren't more people like this up there... but believe it or not, among my circle of friends, most of us had to learn in our thirties when to realize that it's just not worth our time and effort to do something ourselves.

There are tons of hobbyists out there. I never took shop in high school, took only academic courses after school, and I work in IT in an office.
But I'm a competent welder (pretty good with gas, actually), I do a lot of my own auto repairs, I can blacksmith, cast metals, do carpentry work, some cabinetry, gardening, thermoforming plastics, I can sew - even large canvas tents... and like I said, I have a lot of friends who do likewise.

Cottage industry? Bring it! I'm not concerned for those who didn't bother to learn skills - they can do my laundry, or cut my grass, or mop my floor, or any of the other bothersome things that keep me from using my skills.
And if they want to learn the skills? Great, I'll teach them, for a price.

However, one thing that needs to be considered is zoning law. I already dance really close to the edge of being in trouble with the county sometimes. Since meting out irrational punishment is the primary job of the state, I can't imagine that switching over to cottage industry would be met with anything other than nightsticks.

You would be amazed, in my area alone, there are lots of skilled people. We have a decent Mennonite community, which is a plus! We have ranchers, and farmers who do things like they did in my grandfather's days and further back.

I know how to make; candles, soap, yogurt/cheese, bread, garden, can and preserve foods. I can fish and hunt if need be. I taught myself, how to make tinctures for healing and eat herbs in the wild.

These are skills for survival. People need to know them, because when things get really bad, the only one you can rely on is, YOU. And, I am a transplanted city-slicker where I learned street smarts as well.

Seraphim
11-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Well...

Manufacturing just comes in more TYPES of quality.

The mass produced stuff is OK quality but at least there is decent stuff available to the poor and lower middle classes.

There is lots of high quality stuff...LOTS. 1) you need to look 2) just like all quality, not everyone can afford it.

look at what mass production has done to the world, not to mention the quality, or lack of, of manufactured products

i believe it is the direction things will move

returning to our roots

Krugerrand
11-03-2011, 07:29 AM
You would be amazed, in my area alone, there are lots of skilled people. We have a decent Mennonite community, which is a plus! We have ranchers, and farmers who do things like they did in my grandfather's days and further back.

I know how to make; candles, soap, yogurt/cheese, bread, garden, can and preserve foods. I can fish and hunt if need be. I taught myself, how to make tinctures for healing and eat herbs in the wild.

These are skills for survival. People need to know them, because when things get really bad, the only one you can rely on is, YOU. And, I am a transplanted city-slicker where I learned street smarts as well.

Can you share a high-level overview to how you learned the tinctures?

donnay
11-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Can you share a high-level overview to how you learned the tinctures?

Indeed. I have four great books on the subject, and a friend who is a Naturopath that gives me pointers.

1st book: The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook by: James A. Duke. Ph.D
2nd book: Naturopathic Handbook on Herbal formulas
3rd book: The Herb Book By: John Lust
4th book: Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health By: Rosemary Gladstar

Krugerrand
11-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Indeed. I have four great books on the subject, and a friend who is a Naturopath that gives me pointers.

1st book: The Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook by: James A. Duke. Ph.D
2nd book: Naturopathic Handbook on Herbal formulas
3rd book: The Herb Book By: John Lust
4th book: Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health By: Rosemary Gladstar

Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. And, if I could trouble you with one more (and the thread readers with one more hijack) question. What would be the top 4 or 5 herbs you suggest people grow from a healing tincture perspective?

Johnny Appleseed
11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
I debated on putting this in the freedom living section and went with the "cottage system" as opposed to the "putting-out" so it would get serious attention.

What got me to thinking about this was observing the Amish and how little affected they are by whats going on around them. I looked into the industrial revolution as the beginning of the end and found out about this system preceding it.

Now if only I had more than 2 nickles to rub together I'd start a cottage business

specsaregood
11-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Hell, I've been working from home for a decade now. Haven't seen my business partner of 7 years in real life in the last 5 years. And neither of us have ever seen 90% of our customers.

Revolution9
11-03-2011, 08:18 AM
I work from home for 20+ years. Art, music, computer driven projects like games, websites, apps, iPhone, 3D architecture and product pre-viz. Our flyer created yesterday for garnering local business has a blurb on it abut "No Jobs?! Create your own using the skills and talents you enjoy. Start your own business from home." I have been sying that Americans will have to work for themselves if they want to survive the new economy for a dozen years now. The corporations are down the tubes and there is no more mommy and daddy corporations to take care of you from school to retirement. It is the age of the rugged individual...again...

Rev9

donnay
11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. And, if I could trouble you with one more (and the thread readers with one more hijack) question. What would be the top 4 or 5 herbs you suggest people grow from a healing tincture perspective?

I like growing; Oregano (Greek), Echinacea, Lavender, Dandelion, Parsley, and Basil (Italian). I also like Mullein too--it grows wild all over my property like Dandelion.

This site gives the five best herbs to grow and explains why.

Oregano - Oregano is primarily used for culinary purposes but is a very potent medicinal herb as well. This herb is used to season sea foods, stews, soups, meats and vegetables. Medicinally it is used for indigestion, menstrual disorders, infections, headaches, urinary disorders and colds.

Parsley - Is a plant primary used as a culinary herb but is also interchangeable and can be used as a medicinal herb as well. In the culinary field this herb is traditionally used in soups and salads enhancing the tastes of these foods in remarkable ways. In the medicinal area the root, seeds and leaves have been used in the treatment of urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal disorders and menstrual disorders.

Echinacea - This is a perennial medicinal plant that is commonly used to build a week immune system or to maintain a balanced system. The herb is particularly taken just before the seasons change so that you can be protected and not come down with colds. Some other benefits of Echinacea is that it aids in fighting infections and is food to use to fight respiratory infections. The leaves of the Echinacea plant can be used to make hot tea.

Dandelion - This is a perennial plant that deserves to grow in a pot all by itself due to the fact that it needs lots of space for its roots as the root of dandelion is what is typically used for medicinal purposes. Dandelion root is known and used to purify the liver and blood. Furthermore, it promotes healthy digestion and lowers high blood pressure. Overall, dandelion is a great super food containing lots of essential vitamins and minerals that your body requires. The leaves of this plant can also be interchangeable and used in salads.

Lavender - This is a perennial plant and is traditionally used to calm the stressed. The scent of lavender has been used in aromatherapy to relax individuals that are feeling stressed, tense and anxious. The flowers and foliage of the lavender plant are used to make tea and has the same relaxing effect as the oil from the lavender plant. Other benefits of lavender are its known use as an antibacterial agent, also for its relief of pain, hair loss, and depression; this plant can also be used as a insect repellant.

http://taosdining.com/Food-Growing/growing-medicinal-a-culinary-herbs-in-pots.html

specsaregood
11-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Parsley - Is a plant primary used as a culinary herb but is also interchangeable and can be used as a medicinal herb as well. In the culinary field this herb is traditionally used in soups and salads enhancing the tastes of these foods in remarkable ways. In the medicinal area the root, seeds and leaves have been used in the treatment of urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal disorders and menstrual disorders.

Parsely is also chock full of vitamin K which is really important for good, healthy blood.

NYgs23
11-03-2011, 10:39 AM
I think the zoning laws would be a problem here.

Dark_Horse_Rider
11-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Well...

Manufacturing just comes in more TYPES of quality.

The mass produced stuff is OK quality but at least there is decent stuff available to the poor and lower middle classes.

There is lots of high quality stuff...LOTS. 1) you need to look 2) just like all quality, not everyone can afford it.

Yeah, i can see your point and i do believe mass production has served a purpose, but still want to believe that a better way will emerge.

FreeTraveler
11-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Google "Homebrew Industrial Revolution".

Tod
11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I've been working from home for the past few years now and my expenses have plummeted. I live out of town a short distance, but there is a grocery store not too far from me (walking distance). It has been there for years and is surrounded by farm land. The owner lives very nearby. Very convenient. Lately I've been bicycling into town for other errands, saving even more money.

Previously, I had a half-hour drive one way to work.

amy31416
11-03-2011, 07:46 PM
I like growing; Oregano (Greek), Echinacea, Lavender, Dandelion, Parsley, and Basil (Italian). I also like Mullein too--it grows wild all over my property like Dandelion.

This site gives the five best herbs to grow and explains why.

Oregano - Oregano is primarily used for culinary purposes but is a very potent medicinal herb as well. This herb is used to season sea foods, stews, soups, meats and vegetables. Medicinally it is used for indigestion, menstrual disorders, infections, headaches, urinary disorders and colds.

Echinacea - This is a perennial medicinal plant that is commonly used to build a week immune system or to maintain a balanced system. The herb is particularly taken just before the seasons change so that you can be protected and not come down with colds. Some other benefits of Echinacea is that it aids in fighting infections and is food to use to fight respiratory infections. The leaves of the Echinacea plant can be used to make hot tea.

Dandelion - This is a perennial plant that deserves to grow in a pot all by itself due to the fact that it needs lots of space for its roots as the root of dandelion is what is typically used for medicinal purposes. Dandelion root is known and used to purify the liver and blood. Furthermore, it promotes healthy digestion and lowers high blood pressure. Overall, dandelion is a great super food containing lots of essential vitamins and minerals that your body requires. The leaves of this plant can also be interchangeable and used in salads.

Lavender - This is a perennial plant and is traditionally used to calm the stressed. The scent of lavender has been used in aromatherapy to relax individuals that are feeling stressed, tense and anxious. The flowers and foliage of the lavender plant are used to make tea and has the same relaxing effect as the oil from the lavender plant. Other benefits of lavender are its known use as an antibacterial agent, also for its relief of pain, hair loss, and depression; this plant can also be used as a insect repellant.

http://taosdining.com/Food-Growing/growing-medicinal-a-culinary-herbs-in-pots.html

I bet you also have this growing somewhere on your property--it's growing all over the place here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Portulaca_oleracea.JPG/800px-Portulaca_oleracea.JPG

Contains a good quantity of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and can be used to treat various infections.

angelatc
11-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm sure Dannno would approve of the Putting Out System.

This idea goes hand-in-hand with the Gandhi thread I just bumped yesterday:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?241094-Gandhi-ties-freedom-living-to-the-freedom-revolution

Summary quote:

The Ghandi cottage industry model failed miserably though. The onslaught of Indian prosperity is related to the abandonment of that ideal.

donnay
11-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I bet you also have this growing somewhere on your property--it's growing all over the place here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Portulaca_oleracea.JPG/800px-Portulaca_oleracea.JPG

Contains a good quantity of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and can be used to treat various infections.

Oooo! yes! It is scrumptious in a Greek Salad!

LibForestPaul
11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Isn't project management PMP the wave of the future...everybody's doing it.

Johnny Appleseed
11-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Instead of a single business from a single home I'm thinking more along the lines of a single business run from many homes.
Like a clothing company that is owned by the seamstresses. They design make and sell collectively. They receive raw materials and patterns, make the item and ship it directly to their own store. I know its pretty vague and someone I'm sure will come along and shoot holes in it but when your belly is empty your mind becomes full of ways to fill it

amy31416
11-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Oooo! yes! It is scrumptious in a Greek Salad!

I figured you knew about it! It's really, really good stuff that most people (who don't get their lawns chemically treated) probably already have on their property or in their local park. :)

tod evans
11-04-2011, 06:57 AM
I've been a self-employed carpenter for going on three decades.
My son is learning self sufficiency too.

Arklatex
11-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Greenhouses!

Grow 12 months a year using the sun. Check out Aquaponics.

Our farming industry is bigtime unsustainable. Food prices are going to do nothing but skyrocket.

Krugerrand
11-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Greenhouses!

Our farming industry is bigtime unsustainable. Food prices are going to do nothing but skyrocket.

Hydroponics has my interest. I just haven't had time to investigate.

Krugerrand
11-04-2011, 07:25 AM
The Ghandi cottage industry model failed miserably though. The onslaught of Indian prosperity is related to the abandonment of that ideal.

That's interesting. I don't know all that much about India. Somebody mentioned the Amish. I think of the idea somewhat like that. I don't think the Amish ever prosper. But they survive comfortably.

donnay
11-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Greenhouses!

I haven't tried this type of hydroponics, but this site makes it look easy as 1, 2, 3! I do have a couple of Aerogardens, but I am not so happy that it uses fluorescent lights. I would also use bottles, BPA-free as well!

http://our.windowfarms.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkCuPrsPn_I

Krugerrand
11-04-2011, 07:41 AM
I haven't tried this type of hydroponics, but this site makes it look easy as 1, 2, 3! I do have a couple of Aerogardens, but I am not so happy that it uses fluorescent lights. I would also use bottles, BPA-free as well!

http://our.windowfarms.org/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkCuPrsPn_I

See shemdogg's recent thread:
How plastic food containers (even BPA-free) could be making you fat, infertile and sick
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?327384-How-plastic-food-containers-%28even-BPA-free%29-could-be-making-you-fat-infertile-and-sick

donnay
11-04-2011, 08:37 AM
See shemdogg's recent thread:
How plastic food containers (even BPA-free) could be making you fat, infertile and sick
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?327384-How-plastic-food-containers-%28even-BPA-free%29-could-be-making-you-fat-infertile-and-sick

Thanks, that is great info!

I am going to think about doing a window farm with glass...I haven't figured it out, but I am working on it.

jason43
11-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Greenhouses!

This is what I've been focusing on. Right now I work from home selling motorcycles and parts, mostly on eBay, but I've been researching different ways to build a more nessisary skill set because the future economy (as I see it) is going to look very different from what we have now.

I think aquaponics is the future as well.

Johnny Appleseed
11-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Whatever it is you do if you found like minded people in your community, you could pool your resources together and get a store.

amy31416
11-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I like this thread.