PDA

View Full Version : How high will silver go?!

xFiFtyOnE
11-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I've seen several projections saying between $100 and $1,000 an ounce for the next decade (some claim within the next year or so we will see those numbers). While a few others claim it will flaten out an maybe even drop. Anybody have any good articles or opinions on this for a newbie in precious metals investing? Thanks.

Seraphim
11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
That depends on how low the USD/EURO/YEN/POUND go.

Seraphim
11-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I expect silver to appreciate IN REAL TERMS, quite a bit.

Real terms meaning valued against other real assets, outside of cash. Against cash, it will probably appreciate a lot and the amount depends on the weakness/strength of currency markets.

brandon
11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
I dunno but I bought a bunch of Jan '12 SLV calls at $36 strike price yesterday so lets shoot for the stars!

Bern
11-02-2011, 09:19 AM
In terms of the dollar (as most people think of it), I am eyeing (not trading) the low 40s by end of the year unless Ben cranks up the QE3 machine. This assumes that Europe doesn't completely collapse which at this point is not necessarily a safe bet.

A decade from now, I expect the world monetary system to be very different from what it is today. I hold precious metals as a hedge to preserve wealth against that expectation (and don't really care to project what the value would be in today's dollars).

Seraphim
11-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I agree with Bern.

The global monetary system is toast. A new one will be ushered in and PM's will help preserve your purchasing power over the transition. I lean towards thinking it will grow your purchasing power and not just retain it.

RDM
11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I believe we could see $40-50/oz range by end of the year.

cubical
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
How low can the dollar go?

There's your answer.

Zippyjuan
11-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Nobody can say for sure. But they are free to guess- and have as much of a chance of being right as anybody including yourself. One thing is certain- it will change over time. It will go up and it will go down.

Steven Douglas
11-02-2011, 09:19 PM
One thing is certain to me: the price of silver continues to be artificially suppressed, to the point where I am long past being astonished, and still knowing that it cannot happen indefinitely. Silver is grotesquely undervalued, even relative to commodities outside fiat currencies. No rubber band has infinite elasticity, and there will come another point where silver snaps once again, in sawtooth fashion (just as it did recently, before settling back to its new 30-something levels). To me this is fantastic news, because it encourages one-way consumption (making it yet more rare in reality), while buying me nothing but more time. In fact, nothing could be better in my mind than for the muddle-heads who think silver and gold are in bubbles to appear right, even temporarily. An outright crash in silver prices, with dumping and short-term profit-taking would be wonderful, as I would not sell, and would continue to buy everything I could get my hands on. There will come a point where it is no longer in anyone's interest to artificially suppress prices, and when that happens, we will see silver's real value come bobbing to all-time new surface.

Seraphim
11-03-2011, 06:16 AM
This to a T.

One thing is certain to me: the price of silver continues to be artificially suppressed, to the point where I am long past being astonished, and still knowing that it cannot happen indefinitely. Silver is grotesquely undervalued, even relative to commodities outside fiat currencies. No rubber band has infinite elasticity, and there will come another point where silver snaps once again, in sawtooth fashion (just as it did recently, before settling back to its new 30-something levels). To me this is fantastic news, because it encourages one-way consumption (making it yet more rare in reality), while buying me nothing but more time. In fact, nothing could be better in my mind than for the muddle-heads who think silver and gold are in bubbles to appear right, even temporarily. An outright crash in silver prices, with dumping and short-term profit-taking would be wonderful, as I would not sell, and would continue to buy everything I could get my hands on. There will come a point where it is no longer in anyone's interest to artificially suppress prices, and when that happens, we will see silver's real value come bobbing to all-time new surface.