PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain Ron Paul has to bring up Aquila

Tunink
11-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Ron Paul needs to call Herman Cain and his "business experience" out in regards to his actions at Aquila:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/05/herman-cain-aquila-lawsuit-2012

NOW!

RonPaulFanInGA
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
No. Ron Paul can't say the truth about his opponents, it'll look mean and he's above that. The current strategy of taking the high road and refusing to hit, that the official campaign has been using since 2007, will be shooting Paul to the top of the polls any day now. :rolleyes:

sailingaway
11-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think RON should bring it up, but I'd sure like us to gather the info. So far Mother Jones and the quotes of the Mother Jones article are about all I know. Let's post other sources we find on it in this thread.

there are some in here: http://stuffedsuits.com/news/national-politics/947-aquila-scandal-cain-to-fix-social-security and it notes that Cain's time at Aquilla was scrubbed from at least some of the bio material handed out on Cain... don't know if it is still off his resume.

According to a massive class action lawsuit against Aquila’s board of directors – including Cain – he allegedly steered employees into heavily investing their retirement savings in company stock, while at the same time shifting their business model from straightforward energy generation to risky energy trading – the kind of corporate greed that infamously brought down Enron, Mother Jones reports. In the suit, it claims that Cain and other top officials violated a 37-year-old federal law that requires employers to responsibly manage the retirement programs for their employees. Their pensions and life savings were lost . . . ...

note that the settlement of millions admitted no wrongdoing (but they settled for MILLIONS....) Still, if Romney is haunted by Bain, it sure seems to me Cain should explain this.

braane
11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Attacks on candidates only harden their supporters. It might make a few people think twice about Herman, but the majority will either a) be a stronger supporter of Cain's for it or b) have little to no effect on their opinion of Cain but make them hold a grudge against Paul

sailingaway
11-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Attacks on candidates only harden their supporters. It might make a few people think twice about Herman, but the majority will either a) be a stronger supporter of Cain's for it or b) have little to no effect on their opinion of Cain but make them hold a grudge against Paul

Ron shouldn't do it. But this isn't an attack, it raises a huge question about, at minimum, his competence to lead the nation in exactly the sort of financial crises we are in.

John F Kennedy III
11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
How can Ron mention this without looking bad?

sailingaway
11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
and this message board refers to the story as : 'CAIN'S AQUILA'S HEEL? ' which is kinda clever: http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=535768&articleId=783566&func=6&channel=Member+Guided+News&filterRead=false&filterHidden=true&filterUnhidden=false

sailingaway
11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
How can Ron mention this without looking bad?

why can't we put it together?

We can clearly say that the settlement for $10+ million did not state that there was any fault, and also mention that Cain didn't see the housing bubble coming, thinks Greenspan is the model Fed Chair, and was a cheerleader for TARP.

"In economic times like these can we afford a president as clueless in economics as Herman Cain?"

(Substitute something for 'clueless' if we must)

Carole
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Ron Paul needs to call Herman Cain and his "business experience" out in regards to his actions at Aquila:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/05/herman-cain-aquila-lawsuit-2012

NOW!

No, Absolutely not! This would be a disaster. Only the media can do these things and get away with it. Of course, they should bring up the Aquila thing, but it is up to them. OR to someone else who asks him questions about it.

Dr. Paul is principled and will not and never would push for something like that.

John F Kennedy III
11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
why can't we put it together?

We can clearly say that the settlement for $10+ million did not state that there was any fault, and also mention that Cain didn't see the housing bubble coming, thinks Greenspan is the model Fed Chair, and was a cheerleader for TARP.

"In economic times like these can we afford a president as clueless in economics as Herman Cain?"

(Substitute something for 'clueless' if we must)

Let's do it. No need for Ron to do it, nothing good can come from punching down.

LibertyIn08
11-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Best thing to do is to push the story out to other media outlets - especially aggregators like Drudge.

Carole
11-02-2011, 11:27 AM
No, anything like that coming from Dr. Paul's supporters will reflect upon him. PERIOD.

Drop this like a hot potato. Please.

TheTexan
11-02-2011, 11:28 AM
He's run many businesses. Run enough businesses, one of them is going to go south. I agree that it's a serious issue worth investigating... but he can shrug this off easily unless we find a more substantial level of involvement.

Carole
11-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Please do not get involved in this. It is a mistake.

LisaNY
11-02-2011, 11:35 AM
the story is already out there and has been out there for awhile. The media, ESPECIALLY the conservative media will not touch this. If you haven't noticed they are all carrying water for Cain.

sailingaway
11-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Please do not get involved in this. It is a mistake.

we shouldn't push it until we know more about it. It sounds terrible, but Mother Jones is a pretty leftist slant outlet and definitely needs checking. But I think looking into it is fine. I also think that we'd raise Bain in a second about Romney, so I'm not sure why this shouldn't be just part of the general background of Cain, as Bain is for Romney?

this seems to be some of the lawsuit paperwork: https://motherjones.com/files/1232_cid_3_amended_consolidated_complaint.pdf

Note that these are unproven allegations.

Batman
11-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Ron Paul is too bashful to go on the attack - even if it's of issues of importance.

But you know who isn't too bashful? Rick Santorum. If Santorum and Bachmann get this story for their next debate, they likely will go on the attack - look bad doing so, but so will Cain. Then Romney will say something trite, Perry will agree with him, Brotha, and Newt will say something totally ambiguous and Ron Paul gets away looking squeeky clean.

All that's left is for somebody to hand over the necessary information to the Santorum/Bachmann Camps so they can do their stuff.

TonySutton
11-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Send the link to the reporter from Politico who did the Sexual Harassment article. It would make a nice followup piece.

sailingaway
11-02-2011, 01:30 PM
AT this point, I think we just need to look into it. I was expecting to see a lot more on it but the way it went radio silent actually makes me thing the Dem side is hoarding this for the general election. But meanwhile, we don't have a lot of independent background.