PDA

View Full Version : Roger Stone warns GOP about ‘Great Danger’ of a Third-Party candidate

bobbyw24
11-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Veteran Republican strategist Roger Stone says a serious libertarian third-party candidate could pose a “great danger” to the GOP’s hopes of winning back the White House in 2012.

“It certainly looms out there as a dangerous possibility,” Stone told The Daily Caller. “The Libertarian Party, for example, is on the ballot in all 50 states, and should the Republicans nominate, say, Romney, then a candidate running on a tea party fiscal platform would … pose a great danger for the Republicans.”
http://dc-cdn.virtacore.com/2011/09/17e703e7aa974ba58b44f346c2a486ff-300x276.jpg

Stone, who led a movement to draft real estate mogul Donald Trump into the race earlier this year, thinks one candidate in particular could pose a threat to the GOP should he choose to run on a third party line. According to Stone, former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson has both the record and the message needed to mount a serious Libertarian challenge to the GOP in 2012.

For now, Stone says he is assisting Johnson in a “volunteer capacity” because he agrees with the candidate’s message. “I think that anyone who will listen to Gary Johnson for 30 minutes will realize that here is a candidate who actually, as governor, did more with less,” he said.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/11/01/roger-stone-warns-gop-about-great-danger-of-a-third-party-candidate/#ixzz1cYPfsbgH

Bern
11-02-2011, 07:23 AM
So glad to see them pimping Johnson in this role and not Paul.

bobbyw24
11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Before Ron Paul contested the GOP presidential nomination in 2008 and now in 2012, he was the Libertarian Party’s standard bearer in 1988. He remains a life member of the Libertarian Party, and continues to have a good relationship with the LP.

Things might become a little difficult if former New Mexico governor and current long-shot candidate for the GOP presidential candidacy decides to seek the leadership of the Libertarian Party.

Is this likely? Yes, if Lew Rockwell’s inside contacts are to be believed:

An old LP insider tells me that Gary has reached out to the Libertarian Party to see if he would be welcome as a 2012 presidential candidate.

http://www.thevolunteer.ca/2011/09/will-gary-johnson-dump-gop-to-run-as-libertarian-party-presidential-candidate/

jkob
11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
I don't think Gary would pose much of a threat to Ron if he gets the nomination. If Romney is the nominee, more power to Gary then. Wish he would run for New Mexico senate but whatever.

It'll be interesting to see who Romney's VP pick would be in the event of a possible rebellion. Probably a "Tea Party" favorite like Marco Rubio. Barf.

FreeTraveler
11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Johnson grabs the Libertarian Pres nomination. If RP gets the Rep nom, Johnson throws his support to Paul in return for the VP slot. If Romney gets the Rep nom, RP takes Johnson's offer of a VP slot.

Word of this "insider arrangement" leaks to the GOP leadership -- soon, like today. ;)

Hilarity and heart attacks ensue. :D

RileyE104
11-02-2011, 08:16 AM
The only way an independent run OR a ticket with Dr. Paul as VP would work is if the funding for his current campaign follows him down that path.

sparebulb
11-02-2011, 08:38 AM
This Stone character wanted Trump and now is talking up Gary Johnson? This is a psy-op.

The only thing that we need to know is who this Stone handler is and which intelligence agency is working for.

bobbyw24
11-02-2011, 08:39 AM
In a letter to the RNC Chairman Reince Priebus on Friday, Johnson questioned whether the "Republican 'establishment' " had been pushing him out of the Republican debates, including the most recent presidential debate in Las Vegas, because of his outlier positions on social issues.

"It is no secret that not all of my views, particularly on some so-called 'social issues' are shared by certain elements of the Republican Party - elements who frankly exert inordinate influence within the Party," wrote Johnson in his letter. "Many of my supporters who are Independents - and even Democrats - are quick to suggest that the Republican 'establishment' doesn't want my voice heard. I hope that is not the case. To the contrary, as I travel the country, I find a great number of Republicans who not only share my views, but who feel disenfranchised by a vocal minority that has become the face of the Party."

The statement comes just days after Johnson said on a conference call with reporters that he'd consider pardoning all nonviolent marijuana offenders as part of what he called a "rational drug policy." It's a position that he hasn't shied away from politically, calling pot smokers an important "untapped voting bloc."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/23/gary-johnson-marijuana-gop-debates_n_1025972.html

speciallyblend
11-02-2011, 08:52 AM
In a letter to the RNC Chairman Reince Priebus on Friday, Johnson questioned whether the "Republican 'establishment' " had been pushing him out of the Republican debates, including the most recent presidential debate in Las Vegas, because of his outlier positions on social issues.

"It is no secret that not all of my views, particularly on some so-called 'social issues' are shared by certain elements of the Republican Party - elements who frankly exert inordinate influence within the Party," wrote Johnson in his letter. "Many of my supporters who are Independents - and even Democrats - are quick to suggest that the Republican 'establishment' doesn't want my voice heard. I hope that is not the case. To the contrary, as I travel the country, I find a great number of Republicans who not only share my views, but who feel disenfranchised by a vocal minority that has become the face of the Party."

The statement comes just days after Johnson said on a conference call with reporters that he'd consider pardoning all nonviolent marijuana offenders as part of what he called a "rational drug policy." It's a position that he hasn't shied away from politically, calling pot smokers an important "untapped voting bloc."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/23/gary-johnson-marijuana-gop-debates_n_1025972.html

the ? for the gop is, do they want me to support a gop ticket of Ron Paul or a 3rd Party ticket with Johnson.

sparebulb
11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
My first random thought is that this would be a good way for the neocons to blame the re-election of Obama on the socially-liberal, pot-smoking elements of the republican/libertarian party. This will be justification for ethnic cleansing of any rational thinkers from the republican party.

speciallyblend
11-02-2011, 09:05 AM
My first random thought is that will be a good way for the neocons to blame the re-election of Obama on the socially-liberal, pot-smoking elements of the republican/libertarian party. This will be justification for ethnic cleansing of any rational thinkers from the republican party.

i hear ya, then i would suggest the gop will become a 3rd party as a new coalition grows and becomes a 2nd Party! It would not happen overnight then again that is how the gop was formed thru a new coalition as the whig party died. The gop might become a relic in politics!! I would suggest in many states this could happen within months which in politics is overnight. Colorado being one of those states!!
ps let the colorado gop think that and they will be a 3rd party overnight;)

sparebulb
11-02-2011, 09:25 AM
I am ready for the gop in its present form to go away. The remaining neocon party needs to be downgraded to fringe status and associated with a leader that can forever be ridiculed and scorned. Much like was done to Lyndon LaRouche.

Aratus
11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
if ron paul is not on the GOP ticket and some of us are angry at what goes down in tampa, heck yes gary johnson could be quite a lightening rod!

trey4sports
11-02-2011, 11:47 AM
if Ron doesn't get the nom. then I'm all for a GJ LP run.

Anti Federalist
11-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Yup, the idiot GOP is doing everything it can to make sure Obama finishes out his 8 years.

No One But Paul

Roy Bleckert
11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
if Ron doesn't get the nom. then I'm all for a GJ LP run.

If this happens & Gary sticks to what he said at the debate & names Ron as VP ...... not a bad back up plan ?

This ticket could poll 10-20% & get in the national debates .....you never know... that is how Ventura became gov of Minnesota ?

nbhadja
11-02-2011, 01:08 PM
This would work out perfectly in the unfortunate event that Ron Paul does not win the Republican nomination.

I am sure Gary would not run 3rd party if Ron wins the nomination. He will only do it if Ron loses the nomination.

Benefits to Gary Johnson as a Libertarian candidate in the national election (in the event that Ron Paul does not win the GOP nomination).

1. Will prevent a rhino from winning the presidency. This will be a benefit in 2 ways: the first way is that if a Rhino wins the presidency, then you can forget about Rand Paul or any Republican having any shot at winning the election in 2016 or 2020 (depending on how long the rhino stays in office).

The 2nd way is that it sends a message to the GOP: "You better start backing freedom candidates instead of corporatist pro-war liberals like Cain, McCain, Romney, Perry, Bush. If you keep doing that, you will NEVER win the presidency again. The only chance of a Republican winning the presidency will be Rand Paul because if it is another rhino then it's another Gary Johnson 3rd party run.

2. If Ron Paul ran 3rd party some fear it would harm Rand Paul and other freedom activists in the GOP that support Ron Paul.....this could be true...so with Gary Johnson as 3rd party instead of Ron Paul then it would prevent any harm to Rand Paul etc.

3. Gary Johnson would spread the message of liberty far and wide- helping us in the future. I think he could even make a big splash in 2012, especially if Romney wins the GOP nomination.

He would have the pro-drug and anti-war vote in his bag instantly. He would attract many small government supporters, especially if Romney wins the GOP nomination. Also Romney has flip flopped on abortion, so if he is the GOP man then the conservatives will have no real anti-abortion candidate in the race so it would not harm Gary as much.

Gary would have the pro-gun vote as well. Romney has supported gun control in the past.

4. It would send the GOP a message: NO ONE BUT PAUL!

Man if RP does not win the GOP nomination, I really hope Romney wins it then.

Gravik
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Would be cool to see a Paul/Johnson ticket for 2012. Imagine that, a president and vp with common sense :D

silentshout
11-02-2011, 05:21 PM
If RP doesn't get the nomination or run as a third-party candidate, I would very much like to see Johnson as the LP candidate and would definitely vote for and support him.