PDA

View Full Version : A fellow Ron Paul individual seeking to Run for Congress in NY needs advice.

Maximilian American
11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
A friend of mine who lives in Brooklyn NY is considering running for Congress in the NY-10th district against Ed. Towns in 2012.
He has a few questions:
1.The U.S. Constitution specifies only (in Article I, section 2) that No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen. Does this truly mean that if he lives in the NY that he cannot be elected to represent his own district? If so, what is the reasoning for this? And if so, does this also appy to the running for a state seat in NY?

2. He is trying to find information on the requirements needed to file for his candidacy in New York's 10th district, can anyone provide a link please?

3. He would like to run as a indepentant because he is against the party system and because in NY's 10th district the voting registration is nearly 90% Democratic/Independant with 10% or less registered Republican. Is there any extra hurdles to run as a independant for the seat?
Any information would be much appreciated!

Michael Landon
11-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Tell your friend good luck.

- ML

Maximilian American
11-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Tell your friend good luck.

- ML

He is not in it to necessarily win, its to spread the message of liberty through a campaign, that way he can reach more people who if they hear him would realize that they actually agree with him on many issues. Besides I know that district well, and tons of Dems/Inds are fed up with Obama and the 2 party cronyism. Of course he has to be careful because he just might win!!!

james1844
11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Dude, your friend will have to raise at least a half million dollars and spend a year of his life running for office. He will most likely be unsuccessful.

He'd better be sure he has the backing of one of the major parties, otherwise he will be SOL.

james1844
11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Dude, your friend will have to raise at least a half million dollars and spend a year of his life running for office. He will most likely be unsuccessful.

He'd better be sure he has the backing of one of the major parties, otherwise he will be SOL.

Maximilian American
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Dude he doesn't care about winning and he doesn't need tons of $$$ to go door to door, community centers, local businesses, etc. to just share his platform of ideas to give people an chance to think outside the establishment platform, and a legit campaign candidacy can make people take him seriously enough to at least listen to what he has to share. Its about speaking the truth and building coalitions of like minded principles.

DXDoug
11-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Ya seriously Just TELL THEM you have a army ready to help and a moments notice

GunnyFreedom
11-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I still say political newcomers need to start in the General Assembly.

LopTarDaBoo
11-01-2011, 10:56 PM
"Is there any extra hurdles to run as a independant for the seat?"

Collecting massive piles of signatures to get on the ballot--all of which will face legal challenges by his opposition.

Tell him to get in touch with NYC Campaign for Liberty. If he's having to ask his friend to find links to BOE requirements, and his friend in turn has to ask RPF, he's in over his head for a Congressional run.

Keep your energy, but get local help to make sure your efforts are going somewhere productive.

LopTarDaBoo
11-01-2011, 11:00 PM
1.The U.S. Constitution specifies only (in Article I, section 2) that No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

The sentence has double negatives, so that's why you were confused by what it read.

Here's where the fun begins (not):

http://www.elections.state.ny.us/RunningOffice.html

gerryb
11-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I still say political newcomers need to start in the General Assembly.

Winner.

If you are coming here to ask these question, heed this advice.

And run as a Democrat.