PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else boycotting Black Friday?

jcbraithwaite7
11-06-2007, 08:45 AM
I am downsizing Christmas this year. I'm sick of buying crap and getting crap I don't need and increasing Wal-mart and other retailer's bottom line.

I'm scanning all our family photos and saving them to discs and making them into music slide shows. That is a priceless gift and gets back to the meaning of Christmas.

My extra money is going to Dr. Paul.

I'm realizing that life is like traveling. When I pack too much I'm miserable and burdened by crap I don't need. I'm simplifiying my life, my priorities and at the same time boycotting the advertisers on MSM for snubbing Dr. Paul.

Anyone else?

piotr1
11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Count me in. Great idea.

walt
11-06-2007, 08:47 AM
better yet

give a second dis to everyone with ron paul speeches on it

jcbraithwaite7
11-06-2007, 09:04 AM
If they won't report on our money donated then maybe our money withheld would be news.

If you truly believe in Ron Paul's fiscal policy we should begin applying it to our personal lives. Balance our own budgets and end our personal deficits. That is the only way to protect ourselves from being held captive. We must stop falling for the 0% dangling carrots of credit cards and all the other bs that the banking industry wants us to fall for.

Take a stand, avoid the crowds and start living the policy we believe in. Freedom from tyranny AND freedom from debt

nexalacer
11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
If they won't report on our money donated then maybe our money withheld would be news.

If you truly believe in Ron Paul's fiscal policy we should begin applying it to our personal lives. Balance our own budgets and end our personal deficits. That is the only way to protect ourselves from being held captive. We must stop falling for the 0% dangling carrots of credit cards and all the other bs that the banking industry wants us to fall for.

Take a stand, avoid the crowds and start living the policy we believe in. Freedom from tyranny AND freedom from debt

Funny, if most people understood the real implications of your message, they would fight you tooth and nail. I, on the other hand, am fully embracing freedom in every aspect of my life.... including my personal relationships.

micahnelson
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I'll be in those lines at Best Buy....

With Slim Jims.

hopeforamerica
11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I'll be in those lines at Best Buy....

With Slim Jims.

Yep, the best way to spend black friday! My meetup will be hitting several different malls hard!

Mortikhi
11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
My neighbors were over last night and were talking with the Mrs. and I over a few beers.
After a couple of beers, my wife tries to joke about the size of our 10yr old 50" TV and how HUGE it was and was trying to get the neighbor's wife to chime in and pressure me into buying a wall-mountable plasma TV.

I told them that there is no way I was going to purchase such an item because the economy was about to crash. I said Merrill-Lynch is writing off billions of losses and Citigroup has just done the same, bad credit could reach as high as $1 trillion, the dollar was falling against all the major currencies, gold was higher now back in the '70s, and oil was nearing $100/barrel.

Everyone looked at me dumbfounded :)

born2drv
11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Or you can support Ron Paul Merchants this year ;) Ask them who they've voting for in the republican primary, if you don't get a satisfactory answer, shop somewhere else! :)

born2drv
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM
My neighbors were over last night and were talking with the Mrs. and I over a few beers.
After a couple of beers, my wife tries to joke about the size of our 10yr old 50" TV and how HUGE it was and was trying to get the neighbor's wife to chime in and pressure me into buying a wall-mountable plasma TV.

I told them that there is no way I was going to purchase such an item because the economy was about to crash. I said Merrill-Lynch is writing off billions of losses and Citigroup has just done the same, bad credit could reach as high as $1 trillion, the dollar was falling against all the major currencies, gold was higher now back in the '70s, and oil was nearing $100/barrel.

If your wife is smart she'll tell you to buy the plasma now before prices double and big macs cost $10 :)

thehittgirl
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I only did one Black Friday and never again. Greed and disrespect was the only thing it was about.

If I go out anywhere, it will be to pass out RP materials :D

Mortikhi
11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
If your wife is smart she'll tell you to buy the plasma now before prices double and big macs cost $10 :)
I'll pass. A $2k TV won't feed the kids if the fit hits the shan.

I can get everything we currently watch on TV on the internet with the commercials edited out. The only difference between that and what we do now is that we can watch the shows on the night they come on versus the night after.

Johnnybags
11-06-2007, 09:23 AM

I feel like my relatives think I have gone mad. They simply cannot comprehend anything no matter how simply it is explained. I am starting to break thru marblehead though. Mr Inflation is my friend in these discussions, everyone complains about prices so I bring it home in a simple simon fashion. Its like sculpting granite though, long and arduous.

princessredtights
11-06-2007, 09:28 AM
For several reasons ... I don't "do" the usual splurging for Christmas ....

1) I worked in retail management for years .... I can't stand the holiday season!!!

2) Also, I was blessed to have been raised in a family where we had a few gifts exchanged but there wasn't a huge emphasis on it!

3) As a Christian, I know that Christmas is not really His day of birth and also, believers were never commanded to celebrate His birth but to honor and remember His Resurrection

4) I am baffled and mystified at all the way people spend all this time and money shopping for "things" to give other people ... only to have those recipients spend all that time AFTER the holiday taking the items in for exchange!

That said, I really DO like the idea of giving shoppers waiting in line something to read to pass the time ... ;)

micahnelson
11-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I feel like my relatives think I have gone mad. They simply cannot comprehend anything no matter how simply it is explained. I am starting to break thru marblehead though. Mr Inflation is my friend in these discussions, everyone complains about prices so I bring it home in a simple simon fashion. Its like sculpting granite though, long and arduous.

Sing them this little song
http://www.micahnelson.com/?p=127

tonyr1988
11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I won't be shopping on Black Friday, because I'll be working from 3 or 4 in the morning to at least 5 in the evening. :'(

jcbraithwaite7
11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm not only boycotting Black Friday but the entire holiday season as well. I'm not scrooge... just discouraged!

constituent
11-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I am downsizing Christmas this year. I'm sick of buying crap and getting crap I don't need and increasing Wal-mart and other retailer's bottom line.

I'm scanning all our family photos and saving them to discs and making them into music slide shows. That is a priceless gift and gets back to the meaning of Christmas.

My extra money is going to Dr. Paul.

I'm realizing that life is like traveling. When I pack too much I'm miserable and burdened by crap I don't need. I'm simplifiying my life, my priorities and at the same time boycotting the advertisers on MSM for snubbing Dr. Paul.

Anyone else?

i worked at a mall kiosk a couple x-mas seasons in a row, christmas... never again.

but tell everyone you don't want any "goods" for christmas and see how much they force it on you, prepare for a fight.

typical pagan holiday.

Santana28
11-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately, i'll be pulling a 12 hour day (night). Our mall for whatever reason is opening at MIDNIGHT - So I've got to work my full shift on 2nd and then help out overnight.

What really sucks is that we won't get Holiday pay for working it. This is going to suck.

Whoever came up with the idea of shopping ALL NIGHT LONG sucks.

IowaSupport
11-06-2007, 10:05 AM
I'll be seeing about getting a bunch of hot chocolate together and hand out material to the folks waiting in line.

I wont be shopping afterwards, either.

constituent
11-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately, i'll be pulling a 12 hour day (night). Our mall for whatever reason is opening at MIDNIGHT - So I've got to work my full shift on 2nd and then help out overnight.

What really sucks is that we won't get Holiday pay for working it. This is going to suck.

Whoever came up with the idea of shopping ALL NIGHT LONG sucks.

yea they just call it pay, right? act like you're one of the chosen just to have your job. then people wonder why the economy (and country as a whole) is crapping out.

Santana28
11-06-2007, 10:34 AM
yea they just call it pay, right? act like you're one of the chosen just to have your job. then people wonder why the economy (and country as a whole) is crapping out.

huh? that didnt make any sense.

i love my job. but staying up til 4am in a mall packed with crazed shoppers isn't exactly something i'm looking forward to. would you?

jcbraithwaite7
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Going to the mall the day after Thanksgiving... and during the holiday season in general reminds me of that National Geographic documentary about the wildabeast migration.

Meatwasp
11-06-2007, 10:51 AM
I have thrown away all my seed and bulb catalogs so I won't be tempted. Also cutting down on gradchildren presents. They always have a ton and don't appreciate them anyway. My money is justly served to try and give them a better country if Paul wins.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm down.

A Ron Paul Rebel
11-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Or you can support Ron Paul Merchants this year ;) Ask them who they've voting for in the republican primary, if you don't get a satisfactory answer, shop somewhere else! :)

And please keep an open and public list so that we can build and share this 'freedom loving list' with everyone...

That's what I'd like to see become a website of it's own. In the long run, that could be a major strategic influence.

A Ron Paul Rebel

hummtide
11-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Oooh Oooh Oooh!! Hey how bout this theme for Black Friday.... Dont shop Wal-Mart on Black Friday, give your business to Ron Paul Mart!

jcbraithwaite7
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Put Ron Paul's campaign further "in the black" on Black Friday.

Be fiscally conservative for the true fiscal conservative.

constituent
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
huh? that didnt make any sense.

i love my job. but staying up til 4am in a mall packed with crazed shoppers isn't exactly something i'm looking forward to. would you?

well you're very fortunate then... i've done it before and don't care to do it again. worked 13 hr. days seven days a week (including the whole black friday bit) from black friday until new year's (excluding christmas)....

i can't stand to even get near a mall. the thought of all those eager shoppers, and food court, face stuffing junk food junkies burning their credit cards up in an endless frenzy makes me want to vomit....

almost everyone shopping is frustrated (even though christmas is supposed to be about cheer and goodwill, all that) and has a miserable look on their face... Christmas music full-blast morning, noon and night...

too much for me. there's money but it just doesn't add up to enough all considered.

that's my take on it.

micahnelson
11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=32936

Here is something you can do on Black Friday