PDA

View Full Version : Leading by Example... Just like Ron Paul.

11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Ron Paul has gained so much respect in large part because he is a man of character.

If Ron Paul were just some guy, who had done some bad things or had a sordid past, who cussed and made angry remarks about his fellow candidates, who had questioned others on a personal level, he would not be nearly as effective a leader for the liberty movement... maybe he wouldn't be at all.

Ron Paul is who he is because he is a good man of strong convictions. Ron Paul runs into battle, sure, but it is on the battlefield of politics and ideas, not on the battlefield of ad hominem attacks, character assassinations, or mud-slinging.

He rarely speaks ill of his fellow candidates, or of Barack Obama, instead preferring to trade in the currency of powerful ideas. Ideas which are more powerful than any pot-shot. Ideas which can move mountains and change the tide of our nation's future.

If we are to win people over to Ron Paul, I think we could take a few lessons from the old man himself. We need to learn how to be cool and collected in our person, yet strong in our convictions, just like he has. After all, we were drawn to him in the first place. We know how effective he is as a messenger of these ideas.

Ron Paul is too humble to ever claim to be a moral example. But he clearly is one.

Here, then, are a few discernible Ron Paul life principles:

Humility. He never toots his own horn.

Kindness. He does not speak ill of others.

Charity. He has given much of himself and his life to others.

Perseverance. He works towards his goals with purpose.

Hard work. He always gives his best effort to what he does.

There aren't many people like Ron Paul in the world. But we can certainly keep in mind when we are spreading the message of liberty and trying to win people over to Ron Paul's side in this Republican primary, and promoting liberty even beyond that, that we could learn something from the messenger. And if we are honestly good towards others and remember to be good-natured like Ron Paul, maybe we'll be more effective.

If we focus more on being examples of good character, then we can win more people over.

We are lucky to have a man of integrity like Ron Paul leading this liberty movement.

Please note: I do not think I'm anything special. Not by a long shot. But I can't help but notice that Ron Paul is special, and in this way that I think we, his ardent supporters, sometimes forget.

Bruno
11-01-2011, 12:26 PM
+ rep, great post!

11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
+ rep, great post!

Thanks!

KramerDSP
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
RP is one of the all-time greats, no doubt about it. He reminds me a lot of Mohandes K. Gandhi.

PursuePeace
11-01-2011, 05:46 PM
+REP
I wholeheartedly agree.
Excellent post.
Wish it was stickied to the top of the page.

Travlyr
11-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Mises and Austrian Economics (http://mises.org/books/paulmises.pdf)
A Personal View
Congressman Ron Paul

Mises’s Character and Its Influence
My association with the Austrian School of economic thought has been invaluable to me, but so have the personal testimonials as to the character of Mises. He never yielded to any temptation to soften his stand to be more acceptable to the conventional economic community, which proved him to be a man of strong will and character. If he had softened his stands, his recognition during his lifetime would have been enhanced. But his goal was economic truth, not a prestigious academic position and superficial acclaim. His determination and consistency were buoyed by the confidence that he was right, and that rectitude was all that mattered. Mises was always a gentleman, kind and considerate of all, and I have tried to emulate him. When the world of economists and politicians is going mad, it is difficult to respond with quiet and deliberate discussion. Yet this response served him well and enhanced his ability to teach. In due time, his quiet voice and those of his students will be heard, despite the shouting and demagoguery that afflicts Washington, D.C.

Impressive influences indeed.

scrosnoe
11-01-2011, 06:41 PM
+Rep
marvelous post and a challenge to us all!

carmaphob
11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
+rep

limequat
11-01-2011, 08:01 PM
WWRPD?

FreeTraveler
11-01-2011, 08:14 PM
+rep

It's also worth noting that he never collectivizes people, either. White, black, straight, gay, young, old, or even Cain supporters; it's always about the individual.

SL89
11-01-2011, 08:15 PM
+rep.

sdsubball23
11-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Following along with all of this, I think all of us also should not do any name-calling to any of the candidates and their supporters.

Lymeade-Lady
11-01-2011, 09:12 PM
+rep

J_White
11-01-2011, 10:46 PM
great post.

11-02-2011, 11:17 AM
In light of Herman Cain's anger towards reporters today, I couldn't help but think of how well Ron Paul handled all the nastiness against him in 2008. Really brings out a contrast.

cdc482
11-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Ron Paul has gained so much respect in large part because he is a man of character.

If Ron Paul were just some guy, who had done some bad things or had a sordid past, who cussed and made angry remarks about his fellow candidates, who had questioned others on a personal level, he would not be nearly as effective a leader for the liberty movement... maybe he wouldn't be at all.

Ron Paul is who he is because he is a good man of strong convictions. Ron Paul runs into battle, sure, but it is on the battlefield of politics and ideas, not on the battlefield of ad hominem attacks, character assassinations, or mud-slinging.

He rarely speaks ill of his fellow candidates, or of Barack Obama, instead preferring to trade in the currency of powerful ideas. Ideas which are more powerful than any pot-shot. Ideas which can move mountains and change the tide of our nation's future.

If we are to win people over to Ron Paul, I think we could take a few lessons from the old man himself. We need to learn how to be cool and collected in our person, yet strong in our convictions, just like he has. After all, we were drawn to him in the first place. We know how effective he is as a messenger of these ideas.

Ron Paul is too humble to ever claim to be a moral example. But he clearly is one.

There aren't many people like Ron Paul in the world. But we can certainly keep in mind when we are spreading the message of liberty and trying to win people over to Ron Paul's side in this Republican primary, and promoting liberty even beyond that, that we could learn something from the messenger. And if we are honestly good towards others and remember to be good-natured like Ron Paul, maybe we'll be more effective.

If we focus more on being examples of good character, then we can win more people over.

We are lucky to have a man of integrity like Ron Paul leading this liberty movement.

Please note: I do not think I'm anything special. Not by a long shot. But I can't help but notice that Ron Paul is special, and in this way that I think we, his ardent supporters, sometimes forget.

100% agree before you even said it. Well done job putting into words what makes Ron Paul so awesome!

11-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Contrast Perry possibly leaking this Cain stuff to the tactful RP response...

klamath
11-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Good post.

11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Perhaps there is a way to get this message, the idea of Ron Paul as a man of excellent character, out there in some way? I can't see the campaign doing it, but perhaps there is a way the grassroots could.

12-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Bump. Roooon Pauuul!

georgiaboy
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM
+rep. Always been one of my favorite attributes about Ron, doesn't get nearly enough attention by even us. He's made me a better person already by following his example.

Wish one of the media outlets would pick up on this and run with it. Great story here. Brings the whole personal responsibility, personal accountability aspect of conservatism into wonderful relief.

12-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Ron's character certainly deserves as much attention as we can give it!

KramerDSP
12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I hope this doesn't sound sacreligious, but Ron Paul reminds me a lot of Pope John Paul II. Their names even sound the same. Anyone else ever think of that comparison?

WilliamC
12-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Ron Paul's humility and integrity are to be admired and emulated, I need to to better myself.

+ rep

12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I hope this doesn't sound sacreligious, but Ron Paul reminds me a lot of Pope John Paul II. Their names even sound the same. Anyone else ever think of that comparison?

In manner, you could certainly draw a comparison between Ron Paul and any respectable religious leader. Great religious leaders are kind, humble, and pensive. Ron Paul is all three and very respectful, generally speaking, to those around him.

Another way to think about it is: what if all of our country's leaders were like Ron Paul? Whether they were on the left or right, what if they thought about each issue greatly, put a lot of study in, were kind to one another, and encouraged real discussion instead of platitudinous talking points?

If all of our politicians had the graceful manner of Ron Paul, wouldn't the country be better off?

KramerDSP
12-07-2011, 06:41 PM
In manner, you could certainly draw a comparison between Ron Paul and any respectable religious leader. Great religious leaders are kind, humble, and pensive. Ron Paul is all three and very respectful, generally speaking, to those around him.

Another way to think about it is: what if all of our country's leaders were like Ron Paul? Whether they were on the left or right, what if they thought about each issue greatly, put a lot of study in, were kind to one another, and encouraged real discussion instead of platitudinous talking points?

If all of our politicians had the graceful manner of Ron Paul, wouldn't the country be better off?

No question.

Indy Vidual
12-07-2011, 11:46 PM
[B]Humility. He never toots his own horn.

I knew there was something I liked about Dr Paul. :p

mport1
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM

Very important advice to take to heart.

J_White
12-08-2011, 12:52 AM
totally agree !!
be polite and focus on issues, people will see the truth !

12-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Indeed.

12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Rise and shine!

qwerty
12-08-2011, 07:31 AM
like this topic a lot! :)

Johnny Appleseed
12-08-2011, 08:54 AM
If all Americans had the graceful manner of Ron Paul, wouldn't the country be better off?

fixed it for ya

12-19-2011, 07:42 PM
We need more people like Ron Paul in politics. Now more than ever we need people of character with principles.

12-20-2011, 03:41 PM
bump

12-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Bump. Be optimistic and confident!

InTradePro
12-24-2011, 09:20 AM
man of character bump