PDA

View Full Version : A short article to warm any freedom lover's (or railfan's) heart.

Anti Federalist
11-01-2011, 12:16 PM
acptulsa, I hope you get a chance to read this, from The Atlantic.

The Time Machine

By Ta-Nehisi Coates

Nov 1 2011, 10:00 AM ET 175

http://www.theatlantic.com/personal/archive/2011/11/the-time-machine/247516/#disqus_thread

You will recall, early last September, my resolution to abandon air-travel. It is a work in progress, given how often I have to leave home. I took my first step last week, taking a nine hour train ride to Pittsburgh instead of the one hour flight. The common calculation holds that the flight--even with delays, boarding, and the TSA--would have saved time. I think that's true in terms in terms of quantity, but less so in terms of quality.

More often than not, my flights end with stressed-out call to my wife, and me re-enacting some beef over cramped legs, or ridiculous delays. These are minor annoyances that don't really register in my mind on a moral scale. More disturbing is the security theater, the virtual, and actual, rifling through luggage, and the rather outrageous abuses which all too regularly reach our ears. The result is that I spend way too much time thinking about the perils of flying (not crashing) and the time I save is effectively experienced as "negative time."

Last week, I began my attempt to opt out. I was scared I'd be bored to tears, but at the same time I didn't feel like I should be too entertained. I declined to install the Baldur's Gate saga on my laptop, and resolved to bring only my books and my writing. It's true I endured a few askance looks from my wife, but once I explained my thinking, she was in support.

The train, in all aspects, was a superior experience.

The first thing was the feeling of everything melting away, of someone else taking control. When flying there are generally so many rules to be obeyed, and times when specific things can happen that I generally feel like, as a passenger, I'm actually a co-pilot. Lights tell you when you can and can't move. Announcements indicate (because I use a lap-top and iPad) when it's safe to read, write or listen to your music. Food and drink are administered at precise times. All of this within a confined space.

But there was a freedom on the train that you may need to be taller than six feet to really understand. You could walk as you needed to. You could sit in the cafe car and watch the scenery. You could fall into your book. Or you could just sleep, something I can't really do on airplanes.

Finally there is the fact that, as much as possible, I should avoid supporting airline travel in its current American iteration. As I said before I don't do this expecting any kind of policy change--but The God of Policy is not omnipotent. I expect an end to that sick feeling I get whenever I see passengers arbitrarily herded into full-body scans, or stranded on runways for hours, or yanked from their seats and stripped searched. There is still value in looking oneself in the mirror--whatever one might hope to see. Thoughtful resistance, in and of itself, is valuable.

As surely as I would not appeal to policy, I would neither appeal to your private morality. I had a cheeseburger as soon as I got to Pittsburgh. I do not evangelize. You have your own religion to keep. I am seeking mine.

*The picture is from the horseshoe curve in Altoona. Pennsylvania really is a gorgeous state.

Anti Federalist
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
///

Anti Federalist
11-10-2011, 02:06 PM
///

acptulsa
11-10-2011, 02:13 PM
And that was riding coach during the day on what the railfans call Anthrax. The ride was quicker and more enjoyable on the old Pennsylvania Railroad--and could be superior again if we can get the fedgov out of the business.

Then consider a Pullman ride on a trip like this. Business travelers regularly get up at three and four a.m. to get to a city about that far away by air. By Pullman, you show up at the rail station at bedtime, go to bed, sleep eight hours, and wake up with just enough time to do your morning thing before you arrive at breakfast time.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Exactly.

I bumped this specifically with you in mind, glad you got a chance to read it.

And that was riding coach during the day on what the railfans call Anthrax. The ride was quicker and more enjoyable on the old Pennsylvania Railroad--and could be superior again if we can get the fedgov out of the business.

Then consider a Pullman ride on a trip like this. Business travelers regularly get up at three and four a.m. to get to a city about that far away by air. By Pullman, you show up at the rail station at bedtime, go to bed, sleep eight hours, and wake up with just enough time to do your morning thing before you arrive at breakfast time.

acptulsa
11-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks, man.

There's getting there and there's civilized travel. There's a trip and there's a journey.

The railroad track is miles away,
And the day is loud with voices speaking,
Yet there isn't a train goes by all day
But I hear its whistle shrieking.

All night there isn't a train goes by,
Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming,
But I see its cinders red on the sky,
And hear its engine steaming.

My heart is warm with friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train [but] I'd rather take,
No matter where it's going. --Edna St. Vincent Millay

ShaneEnochs
11-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I've always wanted to ride a train...

UtahApocalypse
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Nice.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
I've always wanted to ride a train...

For fun, or to actually go somewhere, it does not matter, just jump onboard and do it.

You won't regret it.

ShaneEnochs
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
For fun, or to actually go somewhere, it does not matter, just jump onboard and do it.

You won't regret it.

At one time, my fiance lived up in Chicago, and it turned out the train would have been more expensive than to fly. I haven't really researched anywhere else.

phill4paul
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Long ago I use to ride the rail to Baltimore, MD to visit a girlfriend and future ex-wife. I loved it. I do love the thrill of flying if I can get a window seat but would rather travel by rail. A pint of whiskey in a back pack and a good book along the way.

freeforall
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
that was a bit reminiscent of passages from atlas shrugged.

Anti Federalist
11-10-2011, 03:33 PM
At one time, my fiance lived up in Chicago, and it turned out the train would have been more expensive than to fly. I haven't really researched anywhere else.

It does take a little research, as that is often the case with airline "cheap seats".

I took Anthrax's "Crescent" service once, for about $228 when the cheapest one way flight to NYC would have been over $600.

But that was because of a two day advance purchase window.

It was worth it, it had snowed down south in Feb. when I took that trip, lots of pretty countryside, on that route.

But just think of what would happen if all the railroads had a chance to offer passenger service again, to compete with Anthrax?

I'm convinced it would usher in a new age of rail travel, much superior to flying, as long as we kept the TSA fuckos out of it.

acptulsa
11-10-2011, 03:52 PM
It was worth it, it had snowed down south in Feb. when I took that trip, lots of pretty countryside, on that route.

Nothing more heartbreaking to me than to fly over the Rockies, and look down on those little bumps and spot a road or a track. It always reminds me how beautiful they are, and how much glory I'm missing high above them.

But just think of what would happen if all the railroads had a chance to offer passenger service again, to compete with Anthrax?

Anthrax could never compete. Just kick them off the rails (the vast majority of which they don't own anyway) and let the owners of the rail run the service. Just like that.

Then, perhaps, we can let the eight states where Anthrax does own rail take those rails over, and the people of Joplin, who aren't rich, didn't get FEMA until a week after the tornado, and see zero Anthrax trains per day, can stop subsidizing the dozen trains each way, and the FEMA that shows up a week before the hurricane, for the far wealthier city of New Haven. No?

I'm convinced it would usher in a new age of rail travel, much superior to flying, as long as we kept the TSA fuckos out of it.

Yeah, I had a little something to say about that not so long ago:

http://laughterandliberty.com/terror-plot-foiled/

Anti Federalist
11-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I had a little something to say about that not so long ago:

http://laughterandliberty.com/terror-plot-foiled/

That deserves a repost in full.

(Oh, and can you tell I've latched on the to Anthrax alliteration? ;) )

Terror Plot Foiled.

Washington, December 7, 2012

By: acptulsa

The president announced today that an attempt to bring down the newly finished New World Trade Center One–Freedom Tower with an Amtrak train was foiled today.

‘It seems we should have brought TSA into the train stations after all,’ said outgoing president Obama, exhibiting some sour grapes at the public indignation over his failed plan to spread official pedophilia to other modes of transport besides air travel.

FDNY officials admitted they were a bit suspicious when a crew of thousands showed up and dug a ramp up out of the 34th St. Tunnel and graded it to ground level. ‘Their hardhats looked official,’ was the only comment offered. ‘But it did look funny to see those tracks in the new plaza.’ The FRA has so far remained mute on the subject of how they got the tracks in the Elizabeth, NJ yard switched so they could pick up five cars of jet fuel from another siding. NHTSA officials would only say, off the record, that it’s awfully hard to get diesel fuel to explode.

When asked how the plot was finally foiled, Homeland Security head Janet Napolitano cited New York City’s precaution of laying Lower Manhattan out on a grid. ‘It seems that the eighty-five foot long passenger cars had trouble negotiating the corner at Park and Ninth St. We applaud both New York City and it’s officials both elected and appointed for being so square.’ When asked if any of the hundreds of workmen who dug the new tunnel and laid the new tracks down Park Ave. had been caught yet, Napolitano said simply, ‘If I told you I’d have to waterboard you.’

‘I couldn’t be more pleased that the naysayers were proven wrong on this issue [of airport-style security at rail stations],’ Napolitano continued. ‘Some said that a train lacks a steering wheel, and therefore couldn’t be redirected at any highly populated landmarks. Obviously, and thanks to the amazing obliviousness of the residents of Lower Manhattan, these theories were just wrong.’ No residents of Lower Manhattan were found who were willing to place on the record a printable response to her comment.

A candlelight vigil will be held for the twelve hot dog vendors and three street guitarists who died in the resulting derailment. A seperate service will be held for those who are actually sorry that the two mimes died as well.

acptulsa
11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Glad you liked it. Even with all of that, you can't easily take over a train; you have to crawl over the diesel prime mover to find out the cab wall is impenetrable.

Sounds from the Atlantic article that maybe the silly liberals are figuring out that high speed rail all over this massive country isn't happening anytime soon--and wouldn't be all that environmentally friendly. Would be a nice change of attitude. Of course, if the eight states where Anthrax has actual rail wanted to do that, and California wanted to between LA and San Diego, why not? Just as long as I don't have to help pay for it...