PDA

View Full Version : House to vote on affirming ‘In God We Trust’ as National Motto

bobbyw24
11-01-2011, 09:31 AM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ingodwetrust-AdMeskens.jpg

The U.S. House of Representatives will vote Tuesday on a resolution to affirm the phrase “In God We Trust” as the nation’s official motto, according to Politico.

Rep. Randy Forbes (R-VA), the founder and chairman of the Congressional Prayer Caucus, sponsored the legislation. It would encourage the public display of the motto in all public buildings, public schools and government institutions.

Forbes said he introduced the bill in January because he was troubled by a pattern of omitting God from the nation’s heritage.

“Tomorrow, the House of Representatives will have the same opportunity to reaffirm our national motto and directly confront a disturbing trend of inaccuracies and omissions, misunderstandings of church and state, rogue court challenges, and efforts to remove God from the public domain by unelected bureaucrats,” Forbes said.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/31/house-to-vote-on-affirming-%e2%80%98in-god-we-trust%e2%80%99-as-national-motto/

COpatriot
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Good to know that the GOP is still solely dedicated to creating jobs and fixing the economy. of course they already proved that with all the jobs created by the "defense of marriage" act but it's so comforting to know how much they care about the Murrican people.

green73
11-01-2011, 10:30 AM
What they don't tell you is that the God they really mean is the State.

oyarde
11-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Well .... I guess , I actually prefer this over them working on spending bills ...

Ranger29860
11-01-2011, 10:41 AM
This is dangerous

juleswin
11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Well .... I guess , I actually prefer this over them working on spending bills ...

And I prefer a punch to the stomach over a punch to the groin. Still doesnt mean I want either one to happen to me.

flightlesskiwi
11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
no wonder they have to give themselves raises ever so often.

being a congresscritter is hard werk.

oyarde
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
And I prefer a punch to the stomach over a punch to the groin. Still doesnt mean I want either one to happen to me. Well said .

donnay
11-01-2011, 11:00 AM

That was my first thought!

Napolitanic Wars
In God we trust what?

oyarde
no wonder they have to give themselves raises ever so often.

being a congresscritter is hard werk. Where did you find a Kiwi with a Blunderbuss ?

oyarde
11-01-2011, 11:01 AM
In God we trust what? I considered that too ...

Sola_Fide
11-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Bingo.

Wasn't it Lincoln that first put this motto on our money?

flightlesskiwi
11-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Where did you find a Kiwi with a Blunderbuss ?

you like? :p

ah, the miracles of online photo editing.

kojirodensetsu
11-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't be too bothered by the motto if it weren't for the fact that these politicians are all fake Christians and not real Christians.

Zap!
11-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Good for the House. I am 100% in support of this. If Ron Paul votes against this, it will certainly be brought up in the debates. The paleo-con Constitution Party supports this as well, one of the areas they differ with Libertarians.

eduardo89
11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Good for the House. I am 100% in support of this. If Ron Paul votes against this, it will certainly be brought up in the debates. The paleo-con Constitution Party supports this as well, one of the areas they differ with Libertarians.

I support this too. I wish the world had more trust in God than in government.

ExPatPaki
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Isn't this already the motto? Are they just voting on it now for shits and giggles?

Guitarzan
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm not fond of any 'national' motto.

dejavu22
11-01-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't agree with "In God We Trust" as I do actually think it is a federal endorsement of religion which is not within the defined parameters of government and i think that "E pluribus unum" is a more appropriate national motto if we need one at all... But how is this an issue worth bringing up?

Sola_Fide
11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
If we trust in God, why do we have a monetary policy based on theft? Why is this motto put on our money when it is clear that our policy of debasement means that we don't trust God?

"Trusting God" means believing what He says in His word is right. Uh....we don't trust God.

How do we "trust in God" when we have a policy of central planning? Trusting in God nullifies trusting in the State.

Sola_Fide
11-01-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't agree with "In God We Trust" as I do actually think it is a federal endorsement of religion which is not within the defined parameters of government and i think that "E pluribus unum" is a more appropriate national motto if we need one at all... But how is this an issue worth bringing up?

No, it is not an endorsement of religion. The prohibition for the congress was that they could not establish a FEDERAL denomination. The states had their own established churches at our founding.

The prohibition was for the federal government, not the states. And also "religion" meant "denomination", not "any mention of God."

dejavu22
11-01-2011, 04:35 PM
No, it is not an endorsement of religion. The prohibition for the congress was that they could not establish a FEDERAL denomination. The states had their own established churches at our founding.

The prohibition was for the federal government, not the states. And also "religion" meant "denomination", not "any mention of God."

I understand where you are coming from and i am not saying that you are wrong but i always looked at this as one of the areas of the constitution that did fall into interpretation. The way I see it is that any state is allowed to do whatever they want. Although i would not support it in any way i have no problems "constitutionally speaking" with what Mass and other states did in the early years of the country. On the other hand even though constitutionally it is acceptable i always took the Jeffersonian belief in the wall of separation that he spoke of later in his life and believe that religion has no place in the federal government. Removed from currency, pledge, schools, courts etc.

bobbyw24
11-02-2011, 04:33 AM
The House passed a resolution reaffirming that the nation’s motto remains “In God We Trust” on a 396-9 vote today.

The resolution does not change existing law. Instead, it expresses the sense of the House that the motto remains the same and should be displayed in public places.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/house_passes_in_god_we_trust_measure-209949-1.html

bobbyw24
11-02-2011, 04:39 AM
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll816.xml

eduardo89
11-02-2011, 05:24 AM
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll816.xml

Fox News: "Ron Paul hates God"

Edit: Bachmann didn't vote either, why doesn't she resign her seat? She's never there. Nevermind, she needs the paycheck to feed her 28 children.

Smash voted no...wonder why?

bluesc
11-02-2011, 05:28 AM
The hilarious thing is that the reddit crowd were saying this was all Republican, calling it ridiculous, ect. I'd like to show them the roll call now.

GunnyFreedom
11-02-2011, 05:33 AM
It's a cotton candy bill. essentially meaningless, but gives legislators the opportunity to smile for cameras and talk about how much they care. Kinda like voting for gold as the State mineral, NASCAR as the State sport, and some random town as the official home of the fatback festival.

Cotton candy bills were the only bills freshmen were allowed to bring to the floor in NC this year. I didn't introduce any cotton candy bills.

eduardo89
11-02-2011, 05:39 AM
It's a cotton candy bill. essentially meaningless, but gives legislators the opportunity to smile for cameras and talk about how much they care. Kinda like voting for gold as the State mineral, NASCAR as the State sport, and some random town as the official home of the fatback festival.

Cotton candy bills were the only bills freshmen were allowed to bring to the floor in NC this year. I didn't introduce any cotton candy bills.

You should have brought a bill congratulating Ron Paul on being the champion of liberty and the most conservative member of congress!

GunnyFreedom
11-02-2011, 05:47 AM
You should have brought a bill congratulating Ron Paul on being the champion of liberty and the most conservative member of congress!

LOL! that would have never made it out of committee, I guarantee it. ;)

PastaRocket848
11-02-2011, 07:06 AM
this is disgusting. "in god we trust"... ummm... no. in god you trust maybe. i trust only in myself and my family. to make a statement like that only reinforces the fact that in america you're "free to accept jesus christ as your savior any way you choose" lol. we have religious freedom, just not freedom FROM religion. our motto should be "i don't know.. and neither do you".

oyarde
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Cotton candy bills were the only bills freshmen were allowed to bring to the floor in NC this year. I didn't introduce any cotton candy bills. Well , count me in for the fatback festival :)

stuntman stoll
11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
It makes God look bad to be associated with the US government.

The motto should be: "In government, Keynes, and democracy we trust."

Zap!
11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
If Ron Paul opposed it, at least he did the smart thing and missed the vote. He should have done the same thing with DADT, citing scheduling problems. I can't believe that little weasel Amash voted no. I'm done with him, paleo-cons are so much better.

eduardo89
11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
paleo-cons are so much better.

+1

limequat
11-02-2011, 01:44 PM
If congress can do this, it can also change it to "Allah Akbar"

eduardo89
11-02-2011, 01:46 PM
If congress can do this, it can also change it to "Allah Akbar"

It could, but that wouldn't make much sense. The United States is built upon Christian traditions.

Zap!
11-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Any liberal who ever tells me we need to change the motto on our currency, I tell them "Fine. We'll change it to In Jesus We Trust." That usually shuts their traps.

mczerone
11-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Isn't "trusting monotheism" endorsement of religion?

Sola_Fide
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
If Ron Paul opposed it, at least he did the smart thing and missed the vote. He should have done the same thing with DADT, citing scheduling problems. I can't believe that little weasel Amash voted no. I'm done with him, paleo-cons are so much better.

I think Amash had good reasons:

“The fear that unless "In God... We Trust" is displayed throughout the government, Americans will somehow lose their faith in God, is a dim view of the profound religious convictions many citizens have,” said Amash, a first-term freshman.“

The faith that inspired many of the Founders of this country—the faith I practice—is stronger than that,” Amash wrote. “Trying to score political points with unnecessary resolutions should not be Congress's priority.”

Can't argue with that. I would vote no too if I was in congress.

Actually, "from many, one" is a fine motto I think....because it begins with the presupposition of the individual.

Statists believe "from one, many".

Zap!
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I think Amash had good reasons:

Can't argue with that. I would vote no too if I was in congress.

Actually, "from many, one" is a fine motto I think....because it begins with the presupposition of the individual.

Statists believe "from one, many".

I disagree. I would vote Yes proudly.

tfurrh
11-02-2011, 02:53 PM
In God We Trust, has only been around since 1950ish. It has been on some of the coins for a little longer (post civil war), but not on every coin until the mid 1940s. In fact, we had bare breasts (1916-1917), and greek gods on our coins until 1945.

Before the 50s, 'In God We Trust' wasn't on our paper notes, our Motto, or on all of our coins. 'Under God' wasn't in the pledge until the 50s either.

Good grief people. Weren't we a 'Christian' nation before all of this state progaganda?

acptulsa
11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
...and greek gods on our coins until 1945.

Myth. That wasn't Mercury on the dime, it was a rather androgynous version of the standard staple from the founding of the republic until the twentieth century--namely Lady Liberty.

tfurrh
11-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Myth. That wasn't Mercury on the dime, it was a rather androgynous version of the standard staple from the founding of the republic until the twentieth century--namely Lady Liberty.

Lol, I figured some coin buffs would call me out on that. I was stretching it to make a point. 'the wings of free thought' on lady liberty.

CaptainAmerica
11-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Most likely yes.

Sola_Fide
11-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Good grief people. Weren't we a 'Christian' nation before all of this state progaganda?

Yes. The state propaganda (and the state itself) grew because true Christianity (Calvinism) started to wane.

History has shown that Calvinism has been the most effective bulwark against statism.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
In God we trust what?

The Declaration of Independence was written to address the Book of Romans chapter 3. Our Founding Fathers were being submissive to the authority of the Apostle Paul. This made them Christians.
In order to divorce our nation out from under tyranny, our Founders used the scientific method of natural law. As traditional law judges matters depending on legal precedence, our Founders established a political natural law which superceded such long standing traditions. As legal precedence will always favor tyranny, the new natural law favors the people.

Sola_Fide
11-02-2011, 03:17 PM
The Declaration of Independence was written to address the Book of Romans chapter 3. Our Founding Fathers were being submissive to the authority of the Apostle Paul. This made them Christians.
In order to divorce our nation out from under tyranny, our Founders used the scientific method of natural law. As traditional law judges matters depending on legal precedence, our Founders established a political natural law which superceded such long standing traditions. As legal precedence will always favor tyranny, the new natural law favors the people.

Hmmm. What a wonderful chapter that Romans 3 is that declares the wonderful truth of justification by faith alone. But why do you connect it to the DOI? Just trying to get your thinking on this.

My argument for why the DOI has failed is precisely because of the logical failure of natural law (is/ought fallacy). Marqui de Sade justified torturing women on the basis of nature. Natural law does not provide a ground for prescriptions at all. Conclusions cannot contain more than the premises in a valid argument. It is never valid to argue that nature is this way, therefore we should behave this way.

libertarian4321
11-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I support this too. I wish the world had more trust in God than in government.

Yup.

Because government's often work against what you want- and there is little you can do to stop government.

But God is whatever we want him to be- and therefore, much easier to deal with than government.

My God is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and I trust him (and his son, Jesus Christ).

Still, despite my strong Pastafarian beliefs, I'm a libertarian, and not sure this is really an appropriate role for government...

Philhelm
11-02-2011, 05:40 PM

I thought it was a reference to FRNs.

Justinjj1
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Any liberal who ever tells me we need to change the motto on our currency, I tell them "Fine. We'll change it to In Jesus We Trust." That usually shuts their traps.

yeah thats right. you tell them goddamn libruls whats up. They can either except Jesus Christ as their personal savior, or they can git out.

I say we take it even further. I say congress renames The United States of America, to The United States of Jesusland.

PastaRocket848
11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I love the "America was built on Christian values" revisionists. Many of the founders were indifferent, if not anti-religion. Thomas Jefferson even went to far as to publish a revised version of the bible omitting all of the claims to divinity, talking snakes, etc. They wrote extensively about the need to limit the influence of religion in politics. The constitution is a reflection of this. America wasn't founded on "Christian values" any more than it was that of any other brand of mythology.

People act like the idea that people shouldn't steal or kill people is uniquely Christian...

GeorgiaAvenger
11-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Good.

Meaningless when it comes to law, but a fine tradition

farrar
11-02-2011, 08:05 PM
I think its kind of dumb. Not the saying but that it is being voted on, and that the congress is going to spend money on it to make the additions to some government buildings. An official motto is pretty dumb in general. As an unofficial motto, I don't mind it.

eduardo89
11-02-2011, 08:08 PM
I think its kind of dumb. Not the saying but that it is being voted on, and that the congress is going to spend money on it to make the additions to some government buildings. An official motto is pretty dumb in general. As an unofficial motto, I don't mind it.

I don't think any extra money is being spent. It's just a symbolic vote.

Ranger29860
11-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't think any extra money is being spent. It's just a symbolic vote.

Extra money is being spent since they have to actually vote on it. This whole thing is completely retarded.

Echoes
11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't be too bothered by the motto if it weren't for the fact that these politicians are all fake Christians and not real Christians.

Agreed !! war criminals grandstanding, makes me wanna vomit

Aden
11-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Here in Kentucky we have two standard license plate options. One reads, "In God We Trust," and another reads, "Unbridled Spirit (horse thing)." I chose the Unbridled Spirit plate. As a born-again Christian, I recognize that my salvation rests on a one-to-one personal relationship with Jesus. I trust in God. "We" (substitute any group for "we") do not trust in God. Every Resident of Kentucky trusts in God? Every citizen of American? Please. I find that plate disgusting.

Jingles
11-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Can we just not have a national motto?

bill1971
11-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Agreed !! war criminals grandstanding, makes me wanna vomit

Yeah, I'm fairly certain Jesus would not be for these wars and capital punishment the bible thumpers are for.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Hmmm. What a wonderful chapter that Romans 3 is that declares the wonderful truth of justification by faith alone. But why do you connect it to the DOI? Just trying to get your thinking on this.

My argument for why the DOI has failed is precisely because of the logical failure of natural law (is/ought fallacy). Marqui de Sade justified torturing women on the basis of nature. Natural law does not provide a ground for prescriptions at all. Conclusions cannot contain more than the premises in a valid argument. It is never valid to argue that nature is this way, therefore we should behave this way.
I know the justification for addressing the king in The Declaration of Independence resulted from the Book of Romans. Christ, through the Apostle Paul, God's chosen vessel, forgave the kings of the earth which were the ordained rightful rulers over the earth. In other words, when the rulers of the earth first chose not to follow after the Apostle Paul's absolute authority over every emperor and king on earth, this wouldn't have held them responsible under judgement as their offenses were original sin. After the book of Romans, they are now held accountable. Because king George didn't see in his conscience the self evident and unalienable truths, he was judged inhumane by our Founders, unfit to serve as our king, and divorced as a tyrant.
Check out Romans chapter 13. Actually, the whole Book of Romans deals with authority.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
11-04-2011, 04:43 PM
I love the "America was built on Christian values" revisionists. Many of the founders were indifferent, if not anti-religion. Thomas Jefferson even went to far as to publish a revised version of the bible omitting all of the claims to divinity, talking snakes, etc. They wrote extensively about the need to limit the influence of religion in politics. The constitution is a reflection of this. America wasn't founded on "Christian values" any more than it was that of any other brand of mythology.

People act like the idea that people shouldn't steal or kill people is uniquely Christian...

Christianity was once forgotten. The Word was buried away and people were only allowed to read it in Latin which was a poor translation. So, Christianity was and still is a reawakening or reinassance. The significance of Martin Luther is how he could perceive the truth in the Latin bible. He then obeyed the authority of the Catholic Church by writing down his complaints about the popes ignornace of it and then nailing them onto the door.
In other words, there was a time when Catholic ministers in meetings would be preaching the word of the pope while "protestant" Catholic members in the congregation would be standing up to challenge them by reading the true Word from the bible.