PDA

View Full Version : MoveOn "Close your bank account" campaign

gerryb
10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Well, they are finally starting to get SOME smart ideas. Too bad capitalism doesn't work! =P

And too bad they are just shifting money from one bank to the next, but it's a start. I posted it to FB with this message
It took them this long to realize this? I thought capitalism is the problem?! "Now the Occupy movement has inspired people everywhere to take action in protest and a lot of us have realized there's something we can do to fight back: close our accounts and move our money out of the big Wall Street banks and into community banks and credit unions." -- And sorry, that credit goes to Ron Paul in 2003 when he predicted this fiasco and laid out the solutions, and in 2007 when he gained a large following many of whom moved their cash out of the market before the crash..

Dear MoveOn member,

The big Wall Street banks crashed our economy, refused to clean up the mess, and still haven't been held accountable.

Now the Occupy movement has inspired people everywhere to take action in protest and a lot of us have realized there's something we can do to fight back: close our accounts and move our money out of the big Wall Street banks and into community banks and credit unions.

This week, in the lead-up to the November 5 Make Wall Street Pay day of action targeting the giant banks, we've set up a new "Move Your Money Pledge." Our goal is to get as many people as possible pledging to close their accounts with the big banks.

Are you ready to show the Wall Street banks that we're going to hold them accountable ourselves? If you're ready to stop banking with Wall Street—or if you already have—click here to sign the Move Your Money pledge:

Yes, I want to sign the Move Your Money pledge.

By signing the pledge you'll be able to turn your private choice as a bank customer into a powerful public display of outrage and protest by joining tens of thousands of others who are ready to switch banks and close accounts.

We have resources available to help you find a new bank and a guide for how to go through the process of closing an account. Whether it's a spare credit card, a savings account, or your personal checking, every account counts.

If we can get a huge number of accounts closed at the major banks we'll certainly impact their bottom line, but we'll also do something even more powerful—we'll send them a very clear message that the public's outrage is only growing stronger and that we're not going to let them off the hook for the damage they've done to our economy.

Can you sign the pledge and close an account?

Yes, I'll sign the pledge.

Thanks for all you do.

–Daniel, Elena, Robin, Stefanie, and the rest of the team

TheTexan
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
USAA is a very good bank for those eligible. They didn't take bailout money. I have nothing but great things to say about USAA.

torchbearer
10-31-2011, 06:15 PM
USAA is a very good bank for those eligible. They didn't take bailout money. I have nothing but great things to say about USAA.
isn't it a credit union?

LopTarDaBoo
10-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Move Your Money has been going for at least a year. It hasn't really had an effect. Corporations aren't people and they can shed their bad images very quickly. GM's bank was rebranded as Ally and are complete bailout whores, but they've already effectively rebranded as a no-tricks bank.

10-31-2011, 06:21 PM
wtly.

I've personally never used the big banks, always small local banks.

TheTexan
10-31-2011, 06:28 PM
isn't it a credit union?

Technically it's a bank. But the benefits are much like a credit union.

torchbearer
10-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Technically it's a bank. But the benefits are much like a credit union.

i know their insurance is top notch. i had a claim against them, and they were very expediant and professional.

Bern
10-31-2011, 06:38 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?325573-Bank-Transfer-Day

PierzStyx
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah just got the news about Wells Fargo fee hikes. Going to a credit union. Screw the banks.

torchbearer
10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
when the banks no longer provide a useful service at a fair price, the market will vote them out.

pcosmar
10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?325573-Bank-Transfer-Day

Yeah I know right.
Now all of a sudden it's a "move-on" thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mJJIxurAIQ