PDA

View Full Version : Reporter inadvertently tapes his arrest at an OWS event and records false charges

Agorism
10-31-2011, 04:02 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/special/2011/10/31/357037/protest-police-nashville

State troopers, on orders from Gov. Bill Haslam (R-TN), have repeatedly conducted nighttime raids on the Occupy Nashville encampment outside of the state capitol. During the raid at 2:30 a.m. Friday night, Nashville Scene reporter Jonathan Meador was detained along with 25 peaceful protesters. Meador, who had his camera on to interview attendees at the occupation, inadvertently recorded the state troopers as they appeared to conspire to slap fictitious charges against him.
The Nashville Scene’s Jim Ridley reports:

Thanks to him, Meador was able to produce this unedited video of his own arrest — or to be more accurate, the audio, since with troopers slamming Meador to the ground from behind and rendering him helpless, the image isn’t so hot.
No matter. The sound speaks volumes. What you will hear, very clearly, is a trooper telling another officer to book Meador for resisting arrest. You will also hear, very clearly, audio evidence of Meador’s contention: that he was simply doing his job as a reporter and tried to get off the plaza to comply with the law — but the troopers wouldn’t let him off that easy.
What you will not hear, in any form or fashion, is the slightest mention of public intoxication — the specious charge against Meador the THP has broadcast to the world. If that charge was made up later to discredit Meador — or even more appallingly, to divert attention from what a Metro Night Court judge last night told officers was a blatantly unconstitutional overstepping of government and police authority — nobody who cares about their First Amendment freedoms should sleep in Tennessee tonight.

Chris Ferrell, the publisher of the company that owns the Nashville Scene, wrote a letter to Gov. Haslam asking him for an apology for arresting a member of the media. Ferrell and Meador are disputing the charge of public intoxication. Ferrell said Meador was not intoxicated but had one drink at dinner.
Despite the fact that the Haslam administration has continually ordered night time raids of the peaceful protesters, the local magistrate Thomas Nelson ordered their release each time.
This morning, attorneys from the American Civil Liberties Union filed a federal lawsuit to stop the nightly arrests of Occupy Nashville demonstrators, arguing that the state is violating their First Amendment rights, reports the Tennesseean.

AGRP
10-31-2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6piPFkg0GLQ

Can we please start holding these tyrants personally responsible for their crimes?

hazek
10-31-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6piPFkg0GLQ

Can we please start holding these tyrants personally responsible for their crimes?

The only way that's going to happen is if you arm yourself, go out there and join the protest and refuse to comply and defend yourself with deadly force when met with force until you die. Are you prepared to make this sacrifice? Do you have anyone to join you and do the same?

I didn't think so.

Agorism
10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
bump

PaulConventionWV
10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Why aren't more people talking about this? This is absurd.

Danke
10-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Who were those people in the beginning he was asking their names? The cops walked right by them.

Revolution9
10-31-2011, 09:39 PM
The only way that's going to happen is if you arm yourself, go out there and join the protest and refuse to comply and defend yourself with deadly force when met with force until you die. Are you prepared to make this sacrifice? Do you have anyone to join you and do the same?

I didn't think so.

Rod Class recently won in State Court NC. He proved police departments were private and not a part of the state government. Shortly thereafter a memo was sent around telling cops to get property out of their personal names due to possible lawsuits. So. It appears that if a police department is traded on Dun & Bradstreet or is not mandated under state law they are private entities and those working for them do so in private capacity and are liable to be sued for their actions.

So...yes...there is remedy. It does not involve violence or the pointing of firearms. Kinda tough jackbooting about all day when you don't have any home to go to at night because the guy you punched out two years ago owns it using what you thought were your private courts against you.

Rev9

MJU1983
10-31-2011, 09:53 PM

I didn't think so.

Funny you mention that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLl54K4zteI

Bordillo
10-31-2011, 10:38 PM
Funny you mention that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLl54K4zteI

I like this guy

Vessol
10-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Why aren't more people talking about this? This is absurd.

Honestly, nothing really surprises me anymore.

If they pulled another Kent State, Waco, or anything else. I really wouldn't be shocked.

hazek
11-01-2011, 04:05 AM
It appears that if a police department is traded on Dun & Bradstreet or is not mandated under state law they are private entities and those working for them do so in private capacity and are liable to be sued for their actions.

Any sources for this? I've seen this mentioned on DP but the only source was a 3hour long podcast which I wasn't willing to spend my time on. If it's true though I agree it could really change a lot.