PDA

View Full Version : What Should We Call Ron Paul's Foreign Policy?

10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Please vote on what title you'd attach to Ron Paul's foreign policy. Usually now, he says "non-interventionist."

If we are to win this thing, we need to work on the foreign policy stuff. I have presented a few possible choices that both mesh with Ron Paul's actual stances and provide some alternatives. Please pick one.

Thanks.

Akus
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
how about a defeatist Islamic sympathizer policy

lol jk

10-31-2011, 03:38 PM
how about a defeatist Islamic sympathizer policy

lol jk

haha.

Sola_Fide
10-31-2011, 03:41 PM
A fiscally conservative foreign policy?

BuddyRey
10-31-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm fairly split between "Conservative Foreign Policy" and "Small Government Foreign Policy", because both of these point out (correctly) that the American warfare state is an invention of the left, and that there's nothing conservative about empire.

JoshLowry
10-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Added Just War Principles as an option. :)

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/statement-of-faith/

We must stand for life – not allow millions of innocent children to continue to be slaughtered with the government’s approval.

We must follow the Biblical mandate of using honest weights and measures – not printing money out of thin air in almost complete secrecy and then handing it over to oppressive dictators.
We must only send our men and women to fight for our country when the mission is clear, every necessary tool needed to win is provided, and we respect the Constitution by declaring war.

Once war is declared, it must be waged according to Just War principles. We should only fight when it’s in our national security interest, and we should no longer do the corrupt United Nation’s bidding by policing the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Dyyd4rcuZc&t=4m28s

10-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Added Just War Principles as an option. :)

Good idea!

Maybe call it "A Foreign Policy Based on Just War Principles" instead?

Sola_Fide
10-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Awesome quote. Love it.^^^

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
"Founder's Foreign Policy."

Crystallas
10-31-2011, 04:08 PM
all of the above

jene277
10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
I voted "An America First" foreign policy. I think it would play mind games on neocons. The, AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!!, crowd. I think it may make some take another look at his foreign policy who otherwise would have dismissed him because "he's crazy", or whatever derogatory phrase they feel like using that day.

rambone
10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
I wish that I could check all of them that I like.

clint4liberty
10-31-2011, 04:26 PM
The American Founders Doctrine or the Paul Doctrine

Crystallas
10-31-2011, 04:27 PM
The Greatest Foreign Policy Ever Had. <<<<-Poll option that :D

Brett85
10-31-2011, 04:27 PM

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
The American Founders Doctrine or the Paul Doctrine

1st one is legit.

Deborah K
10-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Peace and Free Trade. No way they can call him an isolationist once they know he's for REAL free trade.

MJU1983
10-31-2011, 04:33 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/MJU1983/FP_Comparison.jpg

Eric21ND
10-31-2011, 04:36 PM
A Constitutional Foreign Policy...Peace, Free Trade, Friendship with all. We'll speak softly, but carry a big stick.

PursuePeace
10-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Just my opinion, first things that popped into my mind:

A Constitutional Foreign Policy - I picked this one.
A Humble Foreign Policy - I actually love this, but humility doesn't seem to be such a sought-offer trait in this society. Pity.
A Foreign Policy to Defend America - I like this too.
A More Just Foreign Policy - Like this too, but don't think people will get it.
A Foreign Policy of Freedom - People will think freedom for the terrorists to come get us. (propaganda is a tough thing to overcome.)
A Non-Interventionist Foreign Policy - Most folks just (wrongly) associate that with isolationism.
A Conservative Foreign Policy - Look at what these so-called "coversatives" in recent years have gotten us into. Not a good association.
An America First Foreign Policy - Like this too, but it sounds awkward.
A Small Government Foreign Policy - Again, people will be scared of this, thinking that we won't be defended.
A Foreign Policy of Peace - This is my favorite. I love this. But... others will probably think "idealistic, not realistic". I would love to say oh screw everyone else, this is the best name! But when I realize what we're working with here, I don't think this name is feasible, right now.
A Foreign Policy Based on Just War Principles - Not bad.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-31-2011, 04:51 PM
i think it needs to have a name that reminds people of American History. That America fought to acquire freedom, not invade and slay "enemies" out of revenge. America fought for freedom out of defense and preservation of freedom/liberty. Not to abolish threats.

satchelmcqueen
10-31-2011, 04:52 PM
the golden rule??

JohnGalt1225
10-31-2011, 05:05 PM
I like more than one but voted for "A Constitutional foreign policy."

GeorgiaAvenger
10-31-2011, 05:44 PM
A Conservative foreign policy

FreeTraveler
10-31-2011, 05:53 PM
NOT America First (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_First_Committee). We'd get blasted for it. It still has terrible connotations to some people, particularly older conservatives. They were taught they were pacifists who'd give up in a heartbeat to any bully. Typical wartime spin.

Read your history.

idiom
10-31-2011, 05:57 PM
The Free Hugs Policy

eduardo89
10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
I'd say either Constitutional Foreign Policy or Conservative Foreign Policy. The problem with the second one is that it may not appeal to people on the left and independents who we wants to vote for Ron Paul

Travlyr
10-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Ron Paul calls it A Foreign Policy of Freedom (http://mises.org/store/Foreign-Policy-of-Freedom-A-P359.aspx)

Omnica
10-31-2011, 06:02 PM
It is all about framing the debate
most eloquently and simply, to spread the wisdom of Dr. Paul's views, beyond the liberty-choir.

Instead of "legalizing drugs," Dr. Paul would "bankrupt drug cartels,"
"dissolve destructive/failed drug policies," "stop governmental coercion," etc...

Here are some ideas to reframe the debate on foreign policy:

Healthy Foreign Policy
Sound Foreign Policy
American Foreign Policy
Diagnostic Foreign Policy
World-Wise Foreign Policy
Medical Foreign Policy
Protective Foreign Policy
Peaceful Foreign Policy
Life-Valuing Foreign Policy
Military Approved Foreign Policy
Pro-National Security Foreign Policy
Anti-Corruption Foreign Policy
Anti-Death Foreign Policy
Pro-Life Foreign Policy
Pro-American Foreign Policy
Ultra-Long Term Foreign Policy

Foreign Policy of Omni-Security
Omni-Merican / Omni-Sea-Cure-a-Tea-Party Foreign Policy

I hope that someone is collecting and
condensing all of the great ideas from the RP forums (and daily Paul),
in order to present Dr. Paul's actual campaign staff with a grassroots study guide.

10-31-2011, 06:03 PM
I know "non-interventionist" is a popular choice. But I made the poll because I am working on messaging and I know that "non-interventionist" sounds like "isolationist" to many conservatives.

I personally think we need to get away from it.

extrmmxer
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
I voted for a foreign policy of peace. But I would tilte it as "A Foreign policy of Peace and Prosperity"

Ron has talked about bringing the troops home and they can spend their money in America. Plus, saving tax payers billions.

Dianne
10-31-2011, 06:11 PM
A realistic foreign policy. A foreign policy that can be attained, achievable, without bankrupting the entire country and throwing millions more on the unemployment line.

steph3n
10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Please vote on what title you'd attach to Ron Paul's foreign policy. Usually now, he says "non-interventionist."

If we are to win this thing, we need to work on the foreign policy stuff. I have presented a few possible choices that both mesh with Ron Paul's actual stances and provide some alternatives. Please pick one.

Thanks.

Freedom Policy

KingRobbStark
10-31-2011, 06:49 PM
America First policy?

Number19
10-31-2011, 08:30 PM
I've started recently, to referencing the Swiss model of Neutrality.

tremendoustie
10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I think, to put my Luntz on, "Humble foreign policy" will play best. It's the term bush used, after all -- and I bet he didn't pick it out of a hat.

And, if I put my neocon on, I think that phrase is most convincing. Consider the opposite -- an "arrogant" or "prideful" foreign policy.

"Humble foreign policy" is a term you cannot disagree with, without looking like an asinine megalomaniac.

I really think we should start using this term as frequently as possible.

ONUV
10-31-2011, 08:56 PM
certainly have to emphasis de-funding military creates a more efficient and stronger defense. bringing all the soldiers home is a smarter defense strategy than spreading them thin in dangerous territories.

MJU1983
10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
I think, to put my Luntz on, "Humble foreign policy" will play best. It's the term bush used, after all -- and I bet he didn't pick it out of a hat.

And, if I put my neocon on, I think that phrase is most convincing. Consider the opposite -- an "arrogant" or "prideful" foreign policy.

"Humble foreign policy" is a term you cannot disagree with, without looking like an asinine megalomaniac.

I really think we should start using this term as frequently as possible.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/MJU1983/GeorgeBushBiography.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." -Matthew 5:9

"Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all." -George Washington

"My first wish is to see this plague of mankind, war, banished from the earth." -George Washington

"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home." -James Madison

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln

"If men do not now succeed in abolishing war, civilization and mankind are doomed." -Ludwig von Mises

"Peace is not absence of conflict, it is the ability to handle conflict by peaceful means." -Ronald Reagan

idiom
10-31-2011, 09:09 PM
It is a Pro-Trade Policy.

The Open Markets Policy.

The sell crap to Cuba policy.

Friendly, Open, connected, trading,

It has to be the opposite of isolation.

The Co-dependent Foreign Policy

jkob
10-31-2011, 09:22 PM
"Non-interventionist" is fine to me but other than that I'd go real or true conservative foreign policy. Humble foreign policy is good to but I think it should be put into context so not to confuse anyone.

coffeewithchess
10-31-2011, 09:45 PM
RN Defense

Gotta keep it short and simple...call it the RN Defense, for "Ready Now Defense" because under RP we know our defenses would be ready to defend and support us.

Rocket_pilot
11-01-2011, 02:13 AM
I say we call it, "Don't go in the pool"....

CaptainAmerica
11-01-2011, 02:51 AM
A foreign policy of strong national defense. Emphasize "Strong Defense"

Moo2400
11-01-2011, 04:57 AM
I think non-interventionism describes it best, though I understand many conservatives have been led to misinterpret that as isolationist.

Calling it an America first foreign policy might work, but I wouldn't get zealous about it (I wouldn't use it like a label) because somebody in the media is bound to link it to the group during WWII that advocated not entering the war (you don't want people thinking Ron Paul wouldn't have wanted to get involved in WWII) as well as actual isolationist groups that used the phrase "America First". A constitutional foreign policy would be fine. A conservative foreign policy could work, but unfortunately I think it would only cause confusion given that most, a lot of conservatives included, are accustomed to thinking that a conservative foreign policy = an aggressive interventionist foreign policy. Calling it a conservative foreign policy would have to be accompanied with a brief explanation of what a truly conservative foreign policy is, otherwise I don't think it will work. The others either sound like fluff or sound weak.

mczerone
11-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Foreign Policy of Peace is fine, but what about Jeffersonian foreign policy?

RDM
11-01-2011, 05:49 AM
How about we call it G.R.E.A.T. = Global Relations and Economic Alliance Treaty