PDA

View Full Version : Herman Cain Inappropriate Gesture: "You're the height of my wife"

low preference guy
10-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Van Susteren asked what Cain did that led to the accusation. There were reportedly more than one accusations in the complaint, but Cain said he recalled just one incident. "She was in my office one day, and I made a gesture saying -- and I was standing close to her -- and I made a gesture saying you are the same height as my wife. And I brought my hand up to my chin saying, 'My wife comes up to my chin.'" At that point, Cain gestured with his flattened palm near his chin. "And that was put in there [the complaint] as something that made her uncomfortable," Cain said, "something that was in the sexual harassment charge."

Link (http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/cain-details-gesture-led-sex-charge)

trey4sports
10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
lol, this guy is an asshat.

garyallen59
10-31-2011, 02:58 PM
He's giving too many details. A sign that may indicate he's lying. Why would he remember this specific day and incident?

LibertyEagle
10-31-2011, 02:58 PM
lol, this guy is an asshat.

He may well be, but it would be ludicrous for a woman to claim sexual harassment for the incident described above.

BernardoEmerick
10-31-2011, 03:00 PM
For someone who had a "vague recall" of this "incident", he remembers a lot of unimportant details...

low preference guy
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
He may well be, but it would be ludicrous for a woman to claim sexual harassment for the incident described above.

Many institutions teach that sexual harassment is "anything that makes a woman uncomfortable".

VictorB
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
He's an idiot. He should either shut up about the issue, or come out in the open.

It's suicide to deny it and then slowly start remembering details. It's going to make him look worse, and his character will never be able to recover from it.

trey4sports
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I would agree with that but we haven't heard her side of the story. Secondly, there is probably more to the story than meets the eye. He very well could have been eyeballing her and making sexual advances, and then retreating to a conversation about the height of his wife.

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm reposting the FEC violations from the Washington Post. The rino's can claim that is a leftist rag and racist lies by our political enemies if they want, but I think they'll have trouble doing so.

specsaregood
10-31-2011, 03:07 PM
//

Guitarzan
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
I could easily turn that incident into something lewd. Say, oh you are about the height of my wife, then push your flattened hand down towards the crotch. I have no doubt this guy did something lewd.

LOL...and then after he got his hand down there, he probably said, "and she's nuts over me..."

musicmax
10-31-2011, 03:17 PM
I could easily turn that incident into something lewd. Say, oh you are about the height of my wife, then push your flattened hand down towards the crotch. I have no doubt this guy did something lewd.

You're right:
http://ronpaulflix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/herman-cain-federal-reserve-audit.png

Brian4Liberty
10-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Many institutions teach that sexual harassment is "anything that makes a woman uncomfortable".

And it doesn't even have to make them feel uncomfortable at the time. They can decide later on that it made them uncomfortable. (After they kibitz with their friends and discuss every reason the person is a jerk they can come to a consensus that it was "sexual harassment").

Romulus
10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Now he's playing along with this game... its all about the attention.

sailingaway
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM

It could have been background and the most minor 'personal detail' of a long list. Or it could have been nothing.

but just because one detail in a complaint isn't in itself actionable doesn't mean there was nothing actionable in there.

Birdlady
10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
It really depends on what the mood was and what was going on. For someone who couldn't remember anything, he sure is remembering a lot now.

It's also a little different because Cain is married. If you are single, then I can see why some of you are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Cain shouldn't be sending any signals like that to any woman in his work place. He is either the biggest moron in the world or a very good liar. I think it's the latter considering everything else he has gotten away with.

Agorism
10-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I kinda laughed at his response there.

Sola_Fide
10-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Now he's playing along with this game... its all about the attention.

Agree. Cain is trying to play the Clarence Thomas card with conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole fiasco brings him a bump in the polls.

Rothbardian Girl
10-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Agree. Cain is trying to play the Clarence Thomas card with conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised if this whole fiasco brings him a bump in the polls.
Just got off the phone with my dad, who said "They're trying to do the same thing to him [Cain] that they did to Clarence Thomas". I think your words are prophetic there. :(

Sola_Fide
10-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Just got off the phone with my dad, who said "They're trying to do the same thing to him [Cain] that they did to Clarence Thomas". I think your words are prophetic there. :(

Yep.

low preference guy
10-31-2011, 04:02 PM

Might be true.

bluesc
10-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Cain isn't going down till he loses Iowa. Let this be a lesson to those who said he was done because of this.

freejack
10-31-2011, 04:04 PM
How would something like this come up in conversation? I don't recall ever having to say that to another woman. Any scenario I can think of would be inappropriate.

dannno
10-31-2011, 04:15 PM
LOL...and then after he got his hand down there, he probably said, "and she's nuts over me..."

Or maybe he was making one of these faces.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j141/ECKoolAid/lolsports/roethlishummer.jpg

dannno
10-31-2011, 04:16 PM
How would something like this come up in conversation? I don't recall ever having to say that to another woman. Any scenario I can think of would be inappropriate.

Well sometimes you don't have to say anything, but feel compelled to say something and then something sorta dumb and irrelevant comes out.

low preference guy
10-31-2011, 04:24 PM

One might just notice it and think aloud.

Romulus
10-31-2011, 04:29 PM

I've been saying that all along and so have others... this is what happens when the "liberal" media throw you in the brier patch.

Romulus
10-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Cain isn't going down till he loses Iowa. Let this be a lesson to those who said he was done because of this.

It is going to be a lesson here.. he's a bullshitter with the key media behind him... that's how it works...

Tina
10-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Right. I have a feeling his hand wasn't under his chin talking about his wife's height, if you know what I mean. I've had very similar occurrences at work. I'm wondering if this woman is short.

kylejack
10-31-2011, 04:34 PM
The public demands an answer about the basis for the accusation. Cain picks the most trivial piece from the allegations and gives that to the media hoping it satisfies them, knowing that the women are prevented from talking about it by the confidentiality agreement.

ninepointfive
10-31-2011, 04:36 PM
For someone who had a "vague recall" of this "incident", he remembers a lot of unimportant details...

You've just won detective of the month! =)

TexMac
10-31-2011, 04:39 PM
The public demands an answer about the basis for the accusation. Cain picks the most trivial piece from the allegations and gives that to the media hoping it satisfies them, knowing that the women are prevented from talking about it by the confidentiality agreement.

There is some talk going around now that some of the things Cain has been saying about the charges being false and trumped up, etc. may break the confidentiality agreement. If so, the women will be able to talk.

enoch150
10-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Sometimes sexual harassment claims get way out of hand. About 12 years ago, at my first job, an incident took place - one guy wrote a message on a piece of paper and showed it to a woman who complained (I never found out what it said) - and myself and every man in the room at the time were written up for sexual harassment even though we had no idea what happened. It was removed after I complained, but the whole affair left me permanently skeptical of these kinds of things.

ZanZibar
10-31-2011, 06:14 PM
A pic from the Des Moines Register:

http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/herman.bachmann.jpeg

Sola_Fide
10-31-2011, 06:16 PM
http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/herman.bachmann.jpeg

Go get her, Herb!

TexMac
10-31-2011, 06:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4ryn4.jpg

Original_Intent
10-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Sometimes sexual harassment claims get way out of hand. About 12 years ago, at my first job, an incident took place - one guy wrote a message on a piece of paper and showed it to a woman who complained (I never found out what it said) - and myself and every man in the room at the time were written up for sexual harassment even though we had no idea what happened. It was removed after I complained, but the whole affair left me permanently skeptical of these kinds of things.

Yeah. Girl I worked with who was on the verge of getting fired, says some other guy is harassing her. thing is, he is NEVER in her work space and she is half the time in his and a few times been caught laying on her back across his desk (we are not tlaking in an office, just a cubicle.) She is young, single he is married. Anyway, she makes the claim and it buys her six months - the manager (who was not involved) said it took him six months of weekly reports to get rid of her, and the only reason it happened at all was because he had already started termination procedure on her before the incident. He said if he hadn't he literally could not have gotten rid of her - ever - because then she would have said it was done as retaliation. So although I am obviously no fan of Cain, I'm skeptical of the whole thing, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it play out in Cain's favor and spun as a "liberal media hatchet job".

morely webb
10-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Why would anybody pay five-figure hush-up for 'You're about the same height as my wife?'

low preference guy
10-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Why would anybody pay five-figure hush-up for 'You're about the same height as my wife?'

If it's less than 0.5% of your wealth, why wouldn't you do it?

kylejack
10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't think they'd pay off for a "you're the same height as my wife" comment. Whether the claims are true or not, I am assuming that there was a more overt incident that was alleged.

Danke
10-31-2011, 08:37 PM

That's why I stay away from institutions.

FreedomProsperityPeace
10-31-2011, 08:46 PM
For someone who had a "vague recall" of this "incident", he remembers a lot of unimportant details...Yeah, I thought that while watching the interview. He keeps saying I don't recall, but his memory is clear on tiny details, like his office door being open and his secretary being just outside.

Why would anybody pay five-figure hush-up for 'You're about the same height as my wife?'That was one of the few allegations he could recall. It just so happens it was a relatively mild one. :rolleyes:

Bruno
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
"You the same height as my wife. Now here is $100,000."

SpiritOf1776_J4
10-31-2011, 08:52 PM
"You the same height as my wife. Now here is $100,000."

Cain, you've been hanging around the Federal Reserve too long.