PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves

Rael
10-31-2011, 12:36 PM
SPARTANBURG COUNTY, S.C. -- The Spartanburg County Sheriff is known for speaking his mind, and at a news conference on Monday, he didn't hold back his anger and frustration after a woman was attacked in a park over the weekend.

Investigators said 46-year-old Walter Lance grabbed a woman who was walking her dog in Milliken Park on Sunday afternoon. They said Lance choked the woman, made her take off her clothing and tried to rape her. (Full Story)

Lance is in custody and was denied bond on Monday.

Sheriff Chuck Wright opened his news conference by saying, "Our form of justice is not making it," and he said, "I'm really aggravated."

He said, "Carry a concealed weapon. That'll fix it."

Wright said Lance had been charged numerous times with crimes again women, and other crimes such as resisting arrest and escape. Wright said Lance had been on probation for a federal gun charge.

He referred to Lance repeatedly as an "animal," and expressed his disgust about Lance's long record and the attack.

He said Lance "doesn't fight police or men folk -- he just goes after women." He said Lance is not married because, "No woman can stay married to him because he beats them down too much."

Wright said, "This is a horrific crime … her life was threatened so many times."

Wright said he knows "liberals" don't think you can just keep people in jail, but that Lance "should not have the right or opportunity to violate a good, upstanding woman."

Wright said, "It's too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by. That would fix it." He said people are tired of doing the right thing and criminals getting away with their actions.

He said several times, "I want you to get a concealed weapons permit."

Wright said, "I'm tired of looking at victims saying, 'There's life after this' … I'm tired of saying, 'We're sorry, we can't keep them in jail.'"

Wright said in his view gun control is, "How fast can you can get the barrel of your gun back on the target?"

Wright said the attack is not the fault of Millken Park. He said, "It's a nice place for families."

He said officers patrol the area all the time and respond to various calls there. He said, "Don't blame anyone for having an animal on their property … We can't get it all."

He encouraged women to walk in groups, and he ended by saying again, "I want you to get a concealed weapons permit. Don't get Mace. Get a firearm."

And then he said, "I think I better stop before I get sanctioned."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29638219/detail.html

Krugerrand
10-31-2011, 12:40 PM
thanks for posting.

Kylie
10-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Good for him. I hope the people of his county listen and heed his words.

ThePiousPriest
10-31-2011, 02:14 PM
I go to school in Spartanburg County, and Miliken Park is near a sketch place in town. I'm not thrilled with Chuck Wright turns things into a police state on 85 during Operation Rolling Thunder though. Btw If you are in town for the debate on the 12th, take a stop by Delaney's Pub, great bar and place to reach out to folks with.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2011, 02:25 PM
Ya gotta love Sheriffs like this. :)

SpicyTurkey
10-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Ya gotta love Sheriffs like this. :)

To bad most are scum.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
To bad most are scum.

Sheriffs? Have any proof of that?

SpicyTurkey
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM

My opinion comes from personal experience, but you can always do a simple google search.

Kylie
10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
To bad most are scum.

I beg to differ.

Our county cops are cool. Don't screw with traffic, only show up when called. They don't give us shit for riding our toys around here and having a big ass fireworks display in my back yard. I think they are exactly what they are supposed to be, peace officers.

Now the feds and city cops that showed up at my house......they were complete with the black outfit and guns drawn.

I thanked them for NOT killing my dog. They didn't laugh.

:D

tfurrh
10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
You may or may not want to go to this man's concealed carry class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TepdEvqV8lw&feature=player_embedded

JohnGalt1225
10-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Good for that Sheriff. An armed citizenry makes for a polite society.

AFPVet
10-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Outstanding!

nobody's_hero
10-31-2011, 03:17 PM
I beg to differ.

Our county cops are cool. Don't screw with traffic, only show up when called. They don't give us shit for riding our toys around here and having a big ass fireworks display in my back yard. I think they are exactly what they are supposed to be, peace officers.

Now the feds and city cops that showed up at my house......they were complete with the black outfit and guns drawn.

I thanked them for NOT killing my dog. They didn't laugh.

:D

Yeah, my experience is that as well. Sheriff departments are usually more laid-back than the uber-militaristic urban police forces. Maybe direct-election has something to do with that.

XTreat
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Getting a CWP in SC is a huge pain in the ASS. They also do not have reciprocity like all the other southern states. I have my CWP for GA that allows me to CC in 22 other states, but I drive back and forth over the border all the time between GA/SC and have to put my firearm in my glovebox. If I had seen that man attacking the woman, I would have either had to run back to my car and get my gun or get into a physical fight with the creature who my be carrying god knows what disease and put myself at risk.

CableNewsJunkie
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
In order to raise awareness of this issue as well as lift Ron's numbers in SC, the question now becomes...

How do we convince/cajole Ron into:
(1) voicing support for what this Sheriff has said, and
(2) reminding people that their county Sheriff has more authority than federal agents

knarf
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
here is the video to put on thp of the thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AZOG4ufgNc

flightlesskiwi
10-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Getting a CWP in SC is a huge pain in the ASS. They also do not have reciprocity like all the other southern states. I have my CWP for GA that allows me to CC in 22 other states, but I drive back and forth over the border all the time between GA/SC and have to put my firearm in my glovebox. If I had seen that man attacking the woman, I would have either had to run back to my car and get my gun or get into a physical fight with the creature who my be carrying god knows what disease and put myself at risk.

along these lines:

i know there have been countless threads about the state v. federal 2nd amendment argument.

and while i don't want to deter a sheriff that wants citizens to arm themselves...

i DO NOT AGREE that a person needs a PERMIT to carry a loaded, concealed weapon.

permit = permission to do so.

the 2nd amendment guarantees my right to be armed. it is my natural, God-given right to have the ability to defend myself if need be. i choose to carry a gun for self-defense purposes.

the whole CCW fiasco seriously gets on my nerves. and encourages me to free my inner outlaw (http://www.backwoodshome.com/columns/wolfe0106.html)

the crap we put up with just irritates me.

Ben Bernanke
10-31-2011, 04:20 PM
along these lines:

i know there have been countless threads about the state v. federal 2nd amendment argument.

and while i don't want to deter a sheriff that wants citizens to arm themselves...

i DO NOT AGREE that a person needs a PERMIT to carry a loaded, concealed weapon.

the 2nd amendment guarantees my right to be armed. it is my natural, God-given right to have the ability to defend myself if need be. i choose to carry a gun for self-defense purposes.

the whole CCW fiasco seriously gets on my nerves. and encourages me to free my inner outlaw (http://www.backwoodshome.com/columns/wolfe0106.html)

the crap we put up with just irritates me.

Actually, concealed weapon permits stem from British common law, and I would argue are not unconstitutional. It stems from the line of thinking that gentlemen fight fairly, while the crooks use deception, and therefore hide their weapons.

I do see where you are coming from though, in general the amount of stuff you need permits for is ridiculous.

phill4paul
10-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Really all that needs to be said on this matter.

SL89
10-31-2011, 06:37 PM

Bad apples everywhere.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/10/31/41047.htm

I do like the Sheriffs in the counties I have dealt with here in Montana. :D

pcosmar
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM

Flirt.
:p

I actually prefer Open Carry. It just seems more honest to me.
And I say that as a prohibited person. (outlaw)

Pericles
10-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah, my experience is that as well. Sheriff departments are usually more laid-back than the uber-militaristic urban police forces. Maybe direct-election has something to do with that.

There probably is a relationship between being elected and somewhat more responsive to the will of the citizens.

hillbilly123069
10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
:eek:
http://www.wyff4.com/news/29638219/detail.html

flightlesskiwi
10-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Actually, concealed weapon permits stem from British common law, and I would argue are not unconstitutional. It stems from the line of thinking that gentlemen fight fairly, while the crooks use deception, and therefore hide their weapons.

I do see where you are coming from though, in general the amount of stuff you need permits for is ridiculous.

1. i've never heard that explanation as an excuse clearing the way for CCW permits. in fact, permits for concealing a weapon are, from what i understand, a recent phenomenon. if you have links/books/papers/court rulings to back up your "gentlemen v crooks/commonlaw" statement, i'd be interested.

2. it's not the amount of stuff you need permits for, it's that, if you were viewing the world solely through a permit-needing lens, one would come to the conclusion a person has zero natural rights. that's what gets up in my crawl.

Flirt.
:p

I actually prefer Open Carry. It just seems more honest to me.
And I say that as a prohibited person. (outlaw)

flirt? definitely.

i agree with you about open carry. to a point. as a small-framed (but know how to fight dirty) female usually accompanied by small children, i prefer to be clandestine. ;) and nobody truly has the authority to tell me i don't have a right that is mine. yup, i've embraced my inner outlaw.

Krugerrand
11-01-2011, 05:51 AM
There probably is a relationship between being elected and somewhat more responsive to the will of the citizens.

In even the most corrupt areas, there is still that window of opportunity to remove a bad sheriff. No such practical opportunity exists for police.

Enforcer
11-01-2011, 06:12 AM
I agree with the sentiment. It's just too bad you have to listen to the crybabies with that "you can't take the law into your own hands" mantra.

Krugerrand
11-01-2011, 06:28 AM
more discussion on this story happening here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?327121-Sheriff-Time-For-Citizens-To-Arm-Themselves

qh4dotcom
11-01-2011, 07:02 AM
"It's too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by. That would fix it."

and then that someone could get sued, arrested, etc. Not worth it.

hazek
11-01-2011, 07:02 AM
more discussion on this story happening here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?327121-Sheriff-Time-For-Citizens-To-Arm-Themselves

Yeah it's like the third or fourth thread about it. I don't understand why mods don't simply merge these threads.

CaseyJones
11-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Yeah it's like the third or fourth thread about it. I don't understand why mods don't simply merge these threads.

well we don't see everything... thanks for flagging these :) merged

Kylie
11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
1. i've never heard that explanation as an excuse clearing the way for CCW permits. in fact, permits for concealing a weapon are, from what i understand, a recent phenomenon. if you have links/books/papers/court rulings to back up your "gentlemen v crooks/commonlaw" statement, i'd be interested.

2. it's not the amount of stuff you need permits for, it's that, if you were viewing the world solely through a permit-needing lens, one would come to the conclusion a person has zero natural rights. that's what gets up in my crawl.

flirt? definitely.

i agree with you about open carry. to a point. as a small-framed (but know how to fight dirty) female usually accompanied by small children, i prefer to be clandestine. ;) and nobody truly has the authority to tell me i don't have a right that is mine. yup, i've embraced my inner outlaw.

I completely agree with you on all points.

I'm a small woman with two children, and though I may not be able to physically fend off an attack, I sure the hell can play dirty if an attack is what you plan.

Life isn't fair, and neither is a fight between a 100lb woman and a 200lb man so as a man you'd better be prepared for me to use everything in my repertiore to keep you away.

RSLudlum
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
It was definitely good to hear him state half way through the press conference that "gun control for government purposes has never worked."

osan
11-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I would have been more favorably impressed had he added that all state and federal gun laws should become null and void in SC including any prohibitions on open carry. I would have added that all sheriffs departments should refuse to aid BATF in any way whatsoever and must arrest all BATF agents operating within the state as well as any SC police officer rendering any aid to BATF in any form or degree. THAT would have been impressive. Had he expressed an equal disgust for the notion of having to obtain permission to exercise a FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT, I would have been more impressed still.

He did well as far as he went, but did not go far enough. He spoke to human decency but not to liberty, and it is there that I see a possible problem with his thinking. Of course, given what he did say, he may be open to edumacation. Given the usual fare in such areas of consideration, I must say I am happy that he did as well as he did, vis-a-vis the usual "don't fight back, it will only make him angry" tripe. As if a rapist were not already angry.