PDA

View Full Version : Newt Gingrich believes in the "blowback" theory

Brett85
10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
I came across this interview Newt Gingrich did a while back, and it's quite interesting. He discusses his views on foreign policy issues, and while they're certainly not Ron's views and people here certainly won't agree with them entirely, he says something that could be used to validate Ron's foreign policy views. I think it's a good thing that someone like Newt can lend credibility to Ron's foreign policy views, even though there are some key differences.

http://www.newt.org/news/arab-spring-fantasy

"I think this whole effort to have forces on the ground has turned out to be a swamp, whether it’s Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya. Because we are not prepared to be engaged deeply enough to change the culture, and we are [only] prepared to engage deep enough to get in and out. And that leaves you with the worst of all worlds. Because over time your enemies hate you, your very presence leads to more people deciding you are their enemy. You become a symbol around which to organize anti-Western radicalism."

Brett85
10-31-2011, 09:50 AM
I guess the moderators should move this thread. I forgot that it's supposed to be in the "opposing candidates" forum.

VBRonPaulFan
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
i'm very hesitant to give newt any support because i can't tell if he's being disingenuous and just playing the game or if he's really changed his tune. he's been in politics so long, i'm more inclined to believe he's just in it for the power. but i do like what he says in the debates and i think it's good for us overall.

iamse7en
10-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice find. I wonder if they'll ask Newt why he blames America for attacks and hatred others have for us around the world. Newt, they hate us because we are free. The fact that we install puppet dictators and use the military-industrial complex to influence our economy and guarantee profits for the oligarchs has nothing to do with people hating us.

RDM
10-31-2011, 04:16 PM
One thing you have to understand about Gingrich, he is a weather vane candidate just like Romney. Both of them will say anything based on the direction of the political winds. The only problem with Gingrich is he uses his intellect to disguise it and people buy it.

Sola_Fide
10-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Newt called Bradley Manning a terrorist.

Feeding the Abscess
10-31-2011, 04:27 PM
I came across this interview Newt Gingrich did a while back, and it's quite interesting. He discusses his views on foreign policy issues, and while they're certainly not Ron's views and people here certainly won't agree with them entirely, he says something that could be used to validate Ron's foreign policy views. I think it's a good thing that someone like Newt can lend credibility to Ron's foreign policy views, even though there are some key differences.

http://www.newt.org/news/arab-spring-fantasy

"I think this whole effort to have forces on the ground has turned out to be a swamp, whether it’s Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya. Because we are not prepared to be engaged deeply enough to change the culture, and we are [only] prepared to engage deep enough to get in and out. And that leaves you with the worst of all worlds. Because over time your enemies hate you, your very presence leads to more people deciding you are their enemy. You become a symbol around which to organize anti-Western radicalism."

I took that as him endorsing an even greater degree of intervention.

Brett85
10-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I took that as him endorsing an even greater degree of intervention.

I took it to mean that because we can't transform the middle east without much more engagement and money spent, we shouldn't have troops on the ground there. But I guess it can be interpreted in different ways. But I always like it when the other candidates at least appear to be coming closer to Ron on the issues. If that happens, Ron wins without even winning the GOP nomination.

Cutlerzzz
10-31-2011, 04:33 PM
You would have to be mentally impaired to not believe that bombing civilians, killing 500,000 Iraqi children, starting wars, giving terrorist organizations money, and occupying other people's countries does not does cause blowback. It really is that simple.

Deborah K
10-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Why would anyone give any consideration to a man who wants to be President during a very volatile economic period when he can't even control his personal debt, let alone his campaign debt?