PDA

View Full Version : 8 Months pregnant Lady jailed and lost custody of 3yr old child over a $5 sandwhich.

Mani
10-31-2011, 02:02 AM
There's not much to say here, thankfully the state custody was only 18hours and no one was beaten.

http://news.yahoo.com/couple-jailed-lose-custody-daughter-over-stolen-sandwiches-015632685.html

HONOLULU (Reuters) - A pregnant woman and her husband were arrested for allegedly stealing two sandwiches at a supermarket in Honolulu, resulting in their 3-year-old daughter being put into state care for 18 hours, officials said on Saturday.

The supermarket that called the police was a Safeway in Makiki, a neighborhood in Honolulu. A statement from a company spokesman said Safeway was checking on the incident.

"From our preliminary investigation, it appears we may not have handled this matter in the best possible way. We are taking this situation seriously, and giving it our full attention," Safeway said in a statement on Saturday.

Famished mother Nicole Leczcyzynski, 30-weeks pregnant, was feeling faint and noshed on a chicken salad sandwich while shopping at the store on Wednesday, Leczcyzynski said in an interview with local television station KHON.

She paid for roughly $50 dollars worth of groceries but forgot about the two sandwiches, valued at $5 each, according to Safeway.

The family was stopped by security staff while leaving the store. Leczcyzynski offered to pay for the sandwiches, she said, but the security guard called the police, the couple were arrested, and their daughter was taken into custody by Child Protective Services, a state welfare group.

"We walked a long way to the grocery store and I was feeling faint, dizzy, like I needed to eat something so we decided to pick up some sandwiches and eat them while we were shopping," she told the local station.

Both Leczcyzynski, and her husband, Marcin, were charged with theft, Honolulu police said. Bail was set at $50 apiece.

Mani
10-31-2011, 02:06 AM
It never ceases to amaze me the comments that follow a story like this. Comments blaming the lady for stealing.

CaptainAmerica
10-31-2011, 02:10 AM
It might have been an accident, I have accidentally left items in the cart while checking out and totally forgot to pay for them,though its rare it has happened.

Mani
10-31-2011, 02:15 AM
It might have been an accident, I have accidentally left items in the cart while checking out and totally forgot to pay for them,though its rare it has happened.

I have forgotten stuff once in a great while when it's on the BOTTOM of the cart, underneath it, that bottom area above the wheels. It happened once I recall and after that I'm always more careful if I put something down there. Especially with a small child, half the time I'm more pre-occupied about what they are doing then the actual shopping.

I forgot to pay for a fast food type meal recently. There are several of these chains, and most are pay as you order, but this one was a sit down then pay. I had never been to the sit down then pay branch before. I've been dozens of times to the ones where you pay at the register.

So in the beginning I had my money out and stood at the register but they asked me to sit down and handed me a menu and I was served the meal. Very different protocol, but it's the same fast food chain. and DUH, after the meal no one came up to me and I TOTALLY forgot to pay coz I thought I paid already.

It was a good 5 minutes I finished my meal and had my mind on something else and I walked out. TOTALLY embarrassed 2 minutes later a guy chased after me and I'm like, "What's wrong??" He said I forgot to pay, I WAS MORTIFIED, so embarrassed. I gave him some cash and I overpaid and he offered to bring me the change and I'm like, "No way." too embarrassed, I didn't want to step back into the store or even wait outside. He wasn't mean at all, in fact, he started acting extremely super nice when he saw I was so embarrassed, maybe afraid I'd be too shy to ever come back and lose a customer. He tried to make small talk and be extremely friendly.

Yet in AMERIKA, I could have been jailed, booked, and tagged for the event.

hazek
10-31-2011, 02:36 AM

Don't you know, you're living in USSA now where it's "Guilty until proven innocent." and not the other way anymore.

libertarian4321
10-31-2011, 02:53 AM
Famished mother Nicole Leczcyzynski, 30-weeks pregnant, was feeling faint and noshed on a chicken salad sandwich while shopping at the store on Wednesday, Leczcyzynski said in an interview with local television station KHON.

She paid for roughly $50 dollars worth of groceries but forgot about the two sandwiches, valued at $5 each, according to Safeway.

"We walked a long way to the grocery store and I was feeling faint, dizzy, like I needed to eat something so we decided to pick up some sandwiches and eat them while we were shopping," she told the local station.

These people need to accept some blame for their own actions.

Look, if these folks were so weak that they were on the verge of collapse if they hadn't "noshed"- and I'm very skeptical- then they should have purchased the sandwiches, eaten them, then done the rest of their shopping.

Plus, they ate TWO sandwiches. Was the husband about to collapse from hunger, too? Not bloody likely.

People tend to give pregnant women a free pass on a lot of things, but what about the guy?

He was hungry and ate a sandwich without paying for it- he shouldn't have done that, even if he had planned to pay for it later. And they may have come up with that "we were going to pay for it, really, we were" line only after being caught. For all we know, these folks are among the many who feel it's their right to eat while shopping and not pay for the food- stores lose a lot of money to these "grazers" every year- people who feel that anything they consume before getting to the checkout is "free."

If they really were (fairly) honest people who intended to pay, they learned a valuable lesson. Hopefully, the next time they feel the need to steal, er, "nosh," they won't bring their children with them.

John F Kennedy III
10-31-2011, 03:06 AM
Eating in the store is fine as long as you pay for it.

WarNoMore
10-31-2011, 03:10 AM
A security guard calls the cops on a pregnant lady for eating a sandwich? Sounds like he needs a promotion. That's a man who knows how to keep America safe. She was probably working for Osama Bin Jared From Al Subway.

aGameOfThrones
10-31-2011, 04:20 AM
She's clearly a criminal!

Now this thing happened to a guy over $.99 cents...

In short, Richardson ate the hot dog while he was shopping, paid for his $28 worth of groceries, then walked out of the store without paying for his 99-cent hot dog.

At that point the jig was up--store employees followed him to the parking lot and held him there until police showed up and arrested him. This despite what nearly every report describes as Richardson's insistence that he simply forgot he ate the thing, and his willingness to pay the dollar for the hot dog right then and there.

Instead, he was arrested by the cops and charged with shoplifting by Cheney Municipal Prosecutor Julie McKay.

Eventually McKay offered Richardson a plea deal that would have dismissed the shoplifting charge if he'd pay the original $.99 for the dog, plus a $200 penalty for stealing it.

Richardon wasn't biting.

"So now the $1 hot dog was a $201 hot dog," Richter said.
So the wiener bandit took his case to trial (the cost of his public defender, McKay's time, the judge's time, and the jury pool's stipends all billed to local taxpayers).

In the end it took about five minutes for the jury to say "Yeah, he just forgot to pay for the stupid hot dog" and find him not guilty.

McKay tells the Spokesman that she felt she had to try the case.

"Did I want to try that? Certainly not," McKay said. "From my perspective, he took something without paying for it . . . The jury didn't feel he was guilty. I disagree with that."

After his acquittal, Richardson promptly walked out of the courtroom with a lawyer's pen he borrowed and never gave back.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/04/stolen_99-cent_hot_dog_leads_t.php

Seraphim
10-31-2011, 04:23 AM
A pregnant woman who actually paid for 50$ in groceries did not steal those sandwhiches. She did not steal them.

No rational adult steals 10$ worth when they have the money to pay for it AND ARE ABOUT TO EMBARK ON RAISING A CHILD.

Retard police officers are retards. Using some fucking critical thinking skills...oh wait...

aGameOfThrones
10-31-2011, 04:34 AM
Wannabe cop: ma'am you forget to pay for the sandwiches.

Pregnant lady: oh, ok.

End of story.

But instead...

Wannabe cop: she didn't pay for the sandwiches... Terrorist!

Anti Federalist
10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Bump 'cos I was late on this story.

tfurrh
10-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Remember that guy who payed a $20 bill that went into collections with pennies and wound up getting arrested?

Romulus
10-31-2011, 03:59 PM
So were the managers to blame or where the cops? Who made the order to arrest? Had to be the managers. Yes, I hate that the kid was taken. That was horrible.

But maybe they were some big losers trying to get a free meal only offering to pay when they got caught... I dont buy the 'Oh we were tired' excuse.

I hate when people eat in the grocery store. Its not a f'king restaurant! Eat before you leave for the damn store.

LibForestPaul
10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Damn, should of tazed their fat asses...

Voluntary Man
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm boycotting Safeway. :(

Mani
11-02-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm going to try to find the article that had extra details.

The couple just moved from CA to HI they were looking to get some groceries after moving into their apt got terribly lost. Finally they found a safeway and the lady was exhausted and hungry from being lost and walking forever. (I've had a pregnant wife and I've seen extreme sudden bouts of hunger, So I can completely understand that).

Also during the check out there was a "distracted parenting moment" (ever had to deal with a 2-3 year old at a check out counter??? Yes, I know how that can turn into a painful distracting experience and you can barely keep track of the checkout process).

This is ridiculous, accidents happen, the story even said they had kept the wrappers in their cart to remind themselves to pay. If they were free loaders, wouldn't they have ditched the evidence, and tossed the wrappers in the garbage when they finished??? It sounds like the had the sandwiches in the beginning of the shopping experience.

Anti Federalist
11-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Of course, that's just using common sense.

But that has no place in a police state.

And yes, that's just what we live in, a full blown police state, where you never know when or how the millions of rules, regulations, codes and edicts will be harshly enforced upon you, and you'll be carted off to join the largest prison population in the world.

I'm going to try to find the article that had extra details.

The couple just moved from CA to HI they were looking to get some groceries after moving into their apt got terribly lost. Finally they found a safeway and the lady was exhausted and hungry from being lost and walking forever. (I've had a pregnant wife and I've seen extreme sudden bouts of hunger, So I can completely understand that).

Also during the check out there was a "distracted parenting moment" (ever had to deal with a 2-3 year old at a check out counter??? Yes, I know how that can turn into a painful distracting experience and you can barely keep track of the checkout process).

This is ridiculous, accidents happen, the story even said they had kept the wrappers in their cart to remind themselves to pay. If they were free loaders, wouldn't they have ditched the evidence, and tossed the wrappers in the garbage when they finished??? It sounds like the had the sandwiches in the beginning of the shopping experience.

squarepusher
11-02-2011, 12:50 AM
clear violation of the stores private property rights!

libertarian4321
11-02-2011, 02:29 AM
But that has no place in a police state.

And yes, that's just what we live in, a full blown police state, where you never know when or how the millions of rules, regulations, codes and edicts will be harshly enforced upon you, and you'll be carted off to join the largest prison population in the world.

How is this a "police state" issue?

The people ate the food, and left without paying for it. Regardless of whether they had "intended" to pay for it, that is theft, and the store has the right to call for police assistance. Maybe it wasn't the best way to handle it, but it was within their rights to do so.

Once the store chose to prosecute, the police had to run through the process/paperwork. I don't see that as a "full blown police state."

The lesson here: If you are too stupid to remember to pay for items you have consumed, don't eat in the store. Frankly, this is probably the best policy in any case- it's a grocery store, not a restaurant. People should probably wait until they pay for the food and leave the store before gorging.

And I will reiterate- these people probably learned a valuable lesson. I'll bet they won't be stuffing their faces in the aisles next time they are in the grocery store.

Diurdi
11-02-2011, 03:12 AM
I think the issue here is that government takes away your child for something like this. Which is of course completely preposterous.

Calling the cops on a paying customer over a $5 sandwich is not good business, but perfectly within the rights of the shop to do.

angelatc
11-02-2011, 04:39 AM
These people need to accept some blame for their own actions.

Look, if these folks were so weak that they were on the verge of collapse if they hadn't "noshed"- and I'm very skeptical- then they should have purchased the sandwiches, eaten them, then done the rest of their shopping.

Plus, they ate TWO sandwiches. Was the husband about to collapse from hunger, too? Not bloody likely.

People tend to give pregnant women a free pass on a lot of things, but what about the guy?

He was hungry and ate a sandwich without paying for it- he shouldn't have done that, even if he had planned to pay for it later. And they may have come up with that "we were going to pay for it, really, we were" line only after being caught. For all we know, these folks are among the many who feel it's their right to eat while shopping and not pay for the food- stores lose a lot of money to these "grazers" every year- people who feel that anything they consume before getting to the checkout is "free."

If they really were (fairly) honest people who intended to pay, they learned a valuable lesson. Hopefully, the next time they feel the need to steal, er, "nosh," they won't bring their children with them.

I'm probably one of the most cynical people out there, but I'd be inclined to give her a pass on this. When you're pregnant, you're scatterbrained. They had a kid in tow, which always adds a layer of distraction. I figure the Dad was probably bagging groceries and kid sitting simultaneously while not even paying attention to what she was paying for. Common sense would be just to let them pay, ban them from the store forever if management thought it was necessary, and move on with life.

freeforall
11-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Can I have the managers arrested at my local grocery store when they accidentally overcharge me when I'm having a distracting child moment?

speciallyblend
11-02-2011, 05:33 AM
does this thread prove the search function has issues. I have done searches many times on stories and get nothing. there is some type of search delay or blackout for a time on rpf. Multiple threads seems to be an issue but i wanted folks to know.

GunnyFreedom
11-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Obvious overreaction by the store, almost certainly had they merely reminded her she would have paid. HOWEVER, I'm with Romulus. I HATE it when people eat in the grocery store. of all the selfish self absorbed me-people crap. It's a farging grocery store! Someone else is going to have to buy those grapes you picked at, and IT ISN'T YOURS UNTIL YOU DAM PAY FOR IT.

If I'm dying of thirst, I can't bear the thought of cracking the bottle open until I have receipt in hand. Anything else feels like theft.

Massive overreaction by the Safeway, and I hope they learn their lesson behind it, but as far as I am concerned, the couple has a lot more to learn from the experience than the grocery store. WAY too many Americans think it their right to eat/drink whatever stuff in a grocery store before they pay for it, and that just annoys me to no end. I'm not kidding. I literally detest that crap.

FreeTraveler
11-02-2011, 06:14 AM
The arrest was definitely an overreaction.

That said, eating food you don't own in a public space deserves a hard smack upside the head. It's a grocery store, not a restaurant, FFS. A dropped pickle slice or gob of mayonnaise could end up as a slip-and-fall lawsuit costing the store big money. And to restate the obvious, IT WASN'T THEIR FOOD TO EAT.

They couldn't buy the sandwiches and go eat in their car before shopping?

Sorry, inconsiderate asshats are inconsiderate asshats, regardless of the over-reaction.

angelatc
11-02-2011, 06:30 AM
If I'm dying of thirst, I can't bear the thought of cracking the bottle open until I have receipt in hand. Anything else feels like theft.

I used to be that way, but two things happened. One, I married a man who works in grocery, and they're perfectly happy to have you eat while you shop as long as you pay for it on the way out. (I'm not talking about the people who eat grapes - that's indeed theft.)

Two - I had a kid. Yes, I know there will be the childless contingent saying this is teaching them to behave badly, but parents know you pick your battles. Putting a box of juice boxes in your cart then listening to a two year old fuss for the next 30 minutes because you won't give him one isn't worth the hassle.

ETA: Husband weighed in - says it sounds to him like this particular store probably has a bigger than average shoplifting problem, and store policy is probably just to arrest everybody. He doesn't believe her story, but says its technically plausible enough that the store should have just let them pay for the sandwiches.

donnay
11-02-2011, 06:55 AM

The people ate the food, and left without paying for it. Regardless of whether they had "intended" to pay for it, that is theft, and the store has the right to call for police assistance. Maybe it wasn't the best way to handle it, but it was within their rights to do so.

Once the store chose to prosecute, the police had to run through the process/paperwork. I don't see that as a "full blown police state."

The lesson here: If you are too stupid to remember to pay for items you have consumed, don't eat in the store. Frankly, this is probably the best policy in any case- it's a grocery store, not a restaurant. People should probably wait until they pay for the food and leave the store before gorging.

And I will reiterate- these people probably learned a valuable lesson. I'll bet they won't be stuffing their faces in the aisles next time they are in the grocery store.

C'mon...you have never forgot something at a grocery store? I once got bologna at the deli counter and put it in the top part of the basket, my purse was too heavy on my shoulder to carry so I put it in the basket--did my whole grocery shopping and checked out. While I was putting my groceries in my car, I realized the bologna was under my purse, and I had not paid for it. I put the rest of my groceries in the car, and ran back with my receipt and the bologna to pay for it. I went straight to the customer service department, and they were absolutely shocked that I came back in and paid for it. I could have very easily just put it in one of the bags, and took off, but in good conscience I could not. I suppose they could have technically had me arrested because I left the store without paying $6.50 for bologna! :rolleyes:

This was a case of Five Freakin' dollars here, we are discussing and a pregnant woman. We are not talking about a women who at a five course meal, for goodness sakes! Not to mention, the child kidnappers (CPS) are involved in this! This is an outrage! For five freakin' dollars!!!

People make mistakes, but I believe the consequences outweigh the alleged crime!! This is the part where I wished I was called for jury duty, when this woman sues the hell out of these rat bastards!

:mad::mad::mad:

CrissyNY
11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I totally sympathize with the woman in this case.

Why would they spend 50 dollars on groceries and steal a 5 dollar sandwich?

Icymudpuppy
11-02-2011, 11:13 AM
No common sense on the part of store security. No need for police. Could have easily just asked them to pay for the sandwiches.

fisharmor
11-02-2011, 11:21 AM

They were put in jail, they had to pay bail, and their child was taken from them.
Do we seriously have to paint you a picture?!??

Romulus
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm going to go into a store, grab a 6 pack, walk around drinking all my beer while I shop, then expect to that store to let me pay for it on the way out?

No, sorry, that wouldn't fly in my store. My grocery store would have a no eating/no drinking policy until you pay for it.

liberalnurse
11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Charges dropped by Safeway. http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/apnewsbreak-pregnant-mom-will-be-not-be-prosecuted-for-safeway-sandwich-theft/2011/11/01/gIQA4rm4dM_story.html

Romulus
11-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Charges dropped by Safeway. http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/apnewsbreak-pregnant-mom-will-be-not-be-prosecuted-for-safeway-sandwich-theft/2011/11/01/gIQA4rm4dM_story.html

Good. And the police should be ashamed for taking their child into custody. They always have the option to call a relative.

nbhadja
11-02-2011, 12:43 PM
The store was stupid calling the police over it. They should have just had them pay for it and banned them from the store if they wanted.

With that said, the couple are morons for eating in the store and not paying. There is no excuse for that. No one is that hungry that they have to eat in the store. They aren't starving and not even close to starvation. Just because they have probably bombarded their stomach with extreme amounts of food their entire lives, tricking their stomach into "hunger" pains even when you don't need food does not give them an excuse. Suck it up and eat at home. This is the type of story where the world laughs at Americans and says "LOL fat americans can't even go 5 seconds without food"

libertarian4321
11-02-2011, 04:17 PM
They were put in jail, they had to pay bail, and their child was taken from them.
Do we seriously have to paint you a picture?!??

What option did the police have?

The idiotic parents committed a crime (sorry, folks, even if they did "intend" to pay for the sandwiches they'd eaten in the store, they had committed theft once they left without paying for them). The store called the police and asked that they be prosecuted.

With the parents in jail, where were the kids going to go?

Sounds like it was a case of the parents being held for a few hours, and by the time they were released, the CPS office was closed, so the kid was kept until the next morning.

This wasn't the Lindbergh kidnapping, folks, the kid spent a PART OF A DAY in the system, not because it's a "police state", not because CPS are all axe murderers, but simply because THE STUPID PARENTS were either thieves or screwed up, and the store decided to be hard asses about it.

Next time, maybe they'll think twice before using a grocery store as a buffet.

libertarian4321
11-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Good. And the police should be ashamed for taking their child into custody. They always have the option to call a relative.

It sounds like that wasn't an option. These folks had recently moved to Hawaii from CA- a good chance they had no friends or relatives nearby.

Other stories I've read on this said they kept the kid NOT as "punishment," but simply because they had no other place to put the kid while the ding dong parents were being held.

libertarian4321
11-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Obvious overreaction by the store, almost certainly had they merely reminded her she would have paid. HOWEVER, I'm with Romulus. I HATE it when people eat in the grocery store. of all the selfish self absorbed me-people crap. It's a farging grocery store! Someone else is going to have to buy those grapes you picked at, and IT ISN'T YOURS UNTIL YOU DAM PAY FOR IT.

Massive overreaction by the Safeway, and I hope they learn their lesson behind it, but as far as I am concerned, the couple has a lot more to learn from the experience than the grocery store. WAY too many Americans think it their right to eat/drink whatever stuff in a grocery store before they pay for it, and that just annoys me to no end. I'm not kidding. I literally detest that crap.

I agree 100%. Maybe that's why I'm not weeping for these people. The stupid, arrogant, entitled jerks did it to themselves, but are not accepting any blame, pointing fingers at everyone but themselves.

Yeah, the people at the store were hard asses- maybe they've been burned by similar "I was going to pay for it, really, I was" types lots of times before. Grazers (can we just call them "thieves"?) often don't pay for the food they eat (though if caught, I'll bet 100% of them say "I was gonna pay for it"), causing big losses for stores.

Zap!
11-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I totally sympathize with the woman in this case.

Why would they spend 50 dollars on groceries and steal a 5 dollar sandwich?

That's two $5 sandwiches, so $10. And why? Because spending $50 is better than spending $60. Many thieves buy something and steal something, it increases their chances of getting away with it. If you walk out without buying something in a supermarket, guards will always suspect something.

dntrpltt
11-02-2011, 04:58 PM
A typical store policy would be to allow the people to pay for their items if at all possible; I'm betting that this is Safeway's policy as well, and that the guards in that particular store just were ignorant (or chose to ignore) that fact. While it is in the store's right to call the police, and press charges, this is simply a case where they took that power and abused it by choosing to complain over $10 of theft. If you add up the cost of the gas and time for the police to pick up and prosecute this individual, and the court costs that will ultimately be the responsibility of the taxpayers once this woman is proven innocent, you have far surpassed $10 of theft. Ridiculous.

libertarian4321
11-02-2011, 05:05 PM
If you add up the cost of the gas and time for the police to pick up and prosecute this individual, and the court costs that will ultimately be the responsibility of the taxpayers once this woman is proven innocent, you have far surpassed $10 of theft. Ridiculous.

The store has decided not to prosecute because of the bad publicity.

However, they DID commit the crime of theft (both, not just the woman)- and "I meant to..." or "I was gonna..." does not change that. Once they walked out of the store without paying for their buffet, they had committed the crime. They would have received trivial punishment (if any), but they were NOT "innocent."

I'm not sure I buy the "we meant to pay" bit. Every thief who get caught tries that dodge.

I agree with the person above who said the store probably should have just made them pay for the items, then banned them from the store.

But I wasn't the victim here, and the folks at the store have the right to prosecute shoplifters.

klamath
11-02-2011, 05:06 PM

I have a problem with browsers as well but if you haven't been around pregnant women you don't quite get the picture of sudden hunger and I would be making excuses for that. They have to eat now much like diabetic person.

klamath
11-02-2011, 05:13 PM
The store has decided not to prosecute because of the bad publicity.

However, they DID commit the crime of theft (both, not just the woman)- and "I meant to..." or "I was gonna..." does not change that. Once they walked out of the store without paying for their buffet, they had committed the crime. They would have received trivial punishment (if any), but they were NOT "innocent."
Oh wait a minute, when selected for jury duty is that how you go into trial? "They were NOT innocent they were arrested right????" That is sounding exactly like the arguement people are making for the execution without trial of an american citizen. "He was a terrorist!!!"
If someone walks out the door of a store and suddenly realizes that the store tripple charged them. Does that automatically convict the store of theft?

Warrior_of_Freedom
11-02-2011, 05:17 PM
People do this all the time at my local supermarket. I just shake my head, especially when they snack on things that are paid by weight.

osan
11-02-2011, 05:42 PM
This past summer I walked out of the market with a 50# bag of dog food I had forgotten was on the bottom of the cart. I got to the car, realized my error, walked back inside, paid for the food, apologized for the mistake, was told "not a problem", and went on my way. No harm, no foul.

Such things appear to be handled rather differently here in West Virginia. Of course, the fact that I had a large-bore pistol on my hip may have served to dissuade any wannabe hero from acting precipitously.

The blindly presumptive hubris of some people never ceases to amaze me. That some of these bozos don't get themselves seriously injured amazes me further still.

Zap!
11-02-2011, 05:54 PM
This past summer I walked out of the market with a 50# bag of dog food I had forgotten was on the bottom of the cart. I got to the car, realized my error, walked back inside, paid for the food, apologized for the mistake, was told "not a problem", and went on my way. No harm, no foul.

Such things appear to be handled rather differently here in West Virginia. Of course, the fact that I had a large-bore pistol on my hip may have served to dissuade any wannabe hero from acting precipitously.

The blindly presumptive hubris of some people never ceases to amaze me. That some of these bozos don't get themselves seriously injured amazes me further still.

That's a lot more of a believable mistake than eating/drinking food. It's so common I doubt they ever arrest anyone for that. They don't even notice 90% of the time, and when they do, they should always believe the customer. Although, I suppose some scheme to try to get away with free water/dog food, etc.