11-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Fred states "He doubts he will be President."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/06/wuspols106.xml

american.swan
11-06-2007, 07:22 AM
that is hilarious.

Give me liberty
11-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Lol @ fox news they are still keeping fred because i know for a reason fox is sacred to death by
ron paul.

I think this there way of keeping ron paul under the radar.

Badger Paul
11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Talk about running not to win.

Check out his performance on Meet the Press last Sunday on You Tue, its editied but you'll get the impression Thompson is like the hound dog who rests on the porch while everyone else is out fox hunting.

Mortikhi
11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Southern Fried Reagan eh?

Kregener
11-06-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...wuspols106.xml

Even Fred Thompson doubts he'll be president

By Toby Harnden in Bedford, New Hampshire
Last Updated: 11:06am GMT 06/11/2007

Even Fred Thompson doesn’t think he will become president. Chatting off-air to a television reporter, a stunningly candid off-the-cuff quip from the Hollywood actor cemented the impression that his heart is not in the 2008 race.

Trying to encourage his studio to hurry up so an interview could start, Carl Cameron of Fox News said into his microphone: “The next president of the United States has a schedule to keep.” Standing beside him, a deadpan Mr Thompson interjected: “And so do I.”

As some Thompson aides looked bemused and others cringed, a taken-aback Mr Cameron, Fox’s chief political correspondent, exclaimed: “You can’t do that kind of stuff!”

The self-deprecating quip said much about the former Tennessee senator’s candidacy.

He was lampooned mercilessly after a YouTube clip showing him asking an audience Iowa underwhelmed by his stump speech: “First of all, could I have a round of applause?”

Having entered the 2008 contest in September, more than six months after all his rivals, Mr Thompson, 65, has kept a light schedule, delivered rambling speeches and shown little fondness for the glad-handing and back-slapping that is the very stuff of US politics.

He was visiting New Hampshire yesterday for just the third time despite having said two months before that he would appear there “early and often”.

In the meantime, his chief opponents for the Republican nomination Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney have virtually taken up residence in the New England state, which holds its crucial early primary on January 8th, five days after the first votes of the election are cast in the Iowa caucuses.
advertisement

Mr Thompson is running at about 17 per cent in the national Republican polls, second behind Mr Giuliani.

But he is languishing in fifth place in New Hampshire and fourth in Iowa.

Just before his Fox interview, Mr Thompson had given a long, meandering speech to a group of New Hampshire businessmen and state politicians.

When he entered the room there was barely a stir as people continued their conversations while he took his seat.

Once sitting down, Mr Thompson signalled to an aide for his glasses and then proceeded to write notes on a piece of paper, initially ignoring the hosts at his table for the “Politics and Eggs” forum in Bedford, New Hampshire – a must-do event for every candidate.

During a 20-minute, meandering speech, Mr Thompson – who has long been accused of being lazy - joked about rearranging his campaign schedule the previous evening so he could watch the New England Patriots play the Indianapolis Colts football game on television.

“I also want you to know that I’ve got my priorities in order. When I saw yesterday that I was scheduled to catch a plane to leave at about four o’clock I did a little scrambling around and to make a long story short I saw to it that I got here at 11 o’clock.”

Many at the breakfast were dismayed by Mr Thompson’s performance.

“The American people like folks that have a positive, hopeful message,” said one prominent Republican.

“This felt very pessimistic. He doesn’t have the kind of fire and brimstone that excites people or gives them a reason to vote for him.”

Fergus Cullen, New Hampshire’s state Republican chairman, said Mr Thompson had made a big mistake in September when he opted to declare his candidacy on the “Jay Leno” talk show rather than attend a New Hampshire debate.

“He got off on the wrong foot here and he has been struggling to get onto the right foot ever since. He is still at the introducing himself stage of the campaign whereas most of the other candidates went through that six or 12 months ago.”

evadmurd
11-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Dead candidate walking--and I liked Fred as a senator and actually I was hopeful for his candidacy before I "found the light" as a Ron Paul Conservative.

ConstitutionGal
11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Gee..finally something I agree with Fred about!! As he was one of my senators, I can tell you that he's no real conservative. He was inconsistent in supporting everything from gun control to illegal immigration.

Perry
11-06-2007, 09:57 AM
By Toby Harnden in Bedford, New Hampshire
Last Updated: 3:34pm GMT 06/11/2007

Even Fred Thompson doesn’t think he will become president. Chatting off-air to a television reporter, a stunningly candid off-the-cuff quip from the Hollywood actor cemented the impression that his heart is not in the 2008 race.

Trying to encourage his studio to hurry up so an interview could start, Carl Cameron of Fox News said into his microphone: “The next president of the United States has a schedule to keep.” Standing beside him, a deadpan Mr Thompson interjected: “And so do I.”

As some Thompson aides looked bemused and others cringed, a taken-aback Mr Cameron, Fox’s chief political correspondent, exclaimed: “You can’t do that kind of stuff!”

The self-deprecating quip said much about the former Tennessee senator’s candidacy.

He was lampooned mercilessly after a YouTube clip showing him asking an audience Iowa underwhelmed by his stump speech: “First of all, could I have a round of applause?”

Having entered the 2008 contest in September, more than six months after all his rivals, Mr Thompson, 65, has kept a light schedule, delivered rambling speeches and shown little fondness for the glad-handing and back-slapping that is the very stuff of US politics.

He was visiting New Hampshire yesterday for just the third time despite having said two months before that he would appear there “early and often”.

In the meantime, his chief opponents for the Republican nomination Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney have virtually taken up residence in the New England state, which holds its crucial early primary on January 8th, five days after the first votes of the election are cast in the Iowa caucuses.

Mr Thompson is running at about 17 per cent in the national Republican polls, second behind Mr Giuliani.

But he is languishing in fifth place in New Hampshire and fourth in Iowa.
ust before his Fox interview, Mr Thompson had given a long, meandering speech to a group of New Hampshire businessmen and state politicians.

When he entered the room there was barely a stir as people continued their conversations while he took his seat.

Once sitting down, Mr Thompson signalled to an aide for his glasses and then proceeded to write notes on a piece of paper, initially ignoring the hosts at his table for the “Politics and Eggs” forum in Bedford, New Hampshire – a must-do event for every candidate.

During a 20-minute, meandering speech, Mr Thompson – who has long been accused of being lazy - joked about rearranging his campaign schedule the previous evening so he could watch the New England Patriots play the Indianapolis Colts football game on television.
“I also want you to know that I’ve got my priorities in order. When I saw yesterday that I was scheduled to catch a plane to leave at about four o’clock I did a little scrambling around and to make a long story short I saw to it that I got here at 11 o’clock.”

Many at the breakfast were dismayed by Mr Thompson’s performance.

“The American people like folks that have a positive, hopeful message,” said one prominent Republican.

“This felt very pessimistic. He doesn’t have the kind of fire and brimstone that excites people or gives them a reason to vote for him.”

Fergus Cullen, New Hampshire’s state Republican chairman, said Mr Thompson had made a big mistake in September when he opted to declare his candidacy on the “Jay Leno” talk show rather than attend a New Hampshire debate.

“He got off on the wrong foot here and he has been struggling to get onto the right foot ever since. He is still at the introducing himself stage of the campaign whereas most of the other candidates went through that six or 12 months ago.”

:p:p
Sounds like Bush II all over again. Another man that just doesn't the fit mold of president yet he is being prepped by some uknown forse that he might be a figurhead instead of a leader.

Fox’s chief political correspondent, exclaimed: “You can’t do that kind of stuff!”

What the hell is that about? Since when does a television correspondent tell a candidate how to act? What a sideshow.:rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/06/wuspols106.xml

MedicSean37
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Well there you go. I hope he doesn't drop out. Him being in the race helps Ron Paul IMO. It dilutes the votes for the neocons.

Perry
11-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Well there you go. I hope he doesn't drop out. Him being in the race helps Ron Paul IMO. It dilutes the votes for the neocons.

Actually I disagree with this. Of all the potential Paul voters I know a good percentage of them are going to be voting for Fred. I've converted more Fred heads then any other candidate. I believe that when Fred drops it will be a huge boost to the Paul campaign especially among evangelical Christians who will not vote for Rudy or Mitt.

rockwell
11-06-2007, 10:29 AM
"Fox’s chief political correspondent, exclaimed: “You can’t do that kind of stuff!”

What the hell is that about? Since when does a television correspondent tell a candidate how to act?"

The media controls the government, not the other way around.

Winning the Presidency without them is going to be a twofer.

Matt Collins
11-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Another man that just doesn't the fit mold of president yet he is being prepped by some uknown forse that he might be a figurhead instead of a leader.
The force is his wife. Fred doesn't want to be President, his wife does.

terlinguatx
11-06-2007, 10:37 AM

Matt Collins
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Well there you go. I hope he doesn't drop out. Him being in the race helps Ron Paul IMO. It dilutes the votes for the neocons.Yes, but Fred and Huckabee will draw the most votes AWAY from Ron Paul unfortunately :(

Tn...Andy
11-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Fred needs to pack it up and go home. You can see in his face he is tired, trying to recover from cancer, and has no enthusiasm for this race. He must have had his arm severely twisted to even enter.

Bunch of folks in this area ( enter zip code 376xx in the FEC website under Thompson ) gave the max 2300 bucks to his campaign.....he slipped into town one day, had dinner at a private residence, picked up the check and flew back out....no public appearance at all. I'd imagine those folks are wondering "What the heck did we give that money for, anyway ?" :D

Matt Collins
11-06-2007, 10:56 AM
WE NEED TO SPREAD THIS ARTICLE FAR AND WIDE!!!

Make sure EVERY talk show host gets a copy of this! E-mail them all!!!

This could be the beginning of the end of Fred!

dmitchell
11-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Too bad. Thompson seems to me probably the best of the big four. As president, I think Thompson wouldn't do much of anything at all - a welcome change from the overreach of George W. Bush, and a safe alternative to Giuliani's and Clinton's delusions of grandeur.

LinearChaos
11-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Fred just wants to go back to sleep.

Smiley Gladhands
11-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Giuliani at 40, but this will soon decline when america actually learns about his slimey past outside of 9/11

How's that gonna happen? I don't think the media is going to help out too much in that respect.

Is it time to start some grassroots (non-campaign, of course) attack ads on certain inferior candidates? That might the only way america gets to know the real ghouliani.

qednick
11-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Damn. I was just about to post this - you beat me to it. :D

EvilEngineer
11-06-2007, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't put it past Thompson to simply sit back and let the money keep rolling in for a bit and then quit and pocket it all.