PDA

View Full Version : The Single Largest Benefactor of Occupy Wall Street Is a Mitt Romney Donor

pcosmar
10-30-2011, 01:35 PM
The Single Largest Benefactor of Occupy Wall Street Is a Mitt Romney Donor

http://gawker.com/adbusters/

Meet Robert Halper, a retired trader and former vice chairman of the New York Mercantile Exchange. Like a lot of wealthy Wall Street-connected 52-year-olds, Halper gave the maximum contribution of $2,500 to Mitt Romney's presidential campaign. But this guy also wrote a $20,000 check to help launch Occupy Wall Street.

I personally think Adbusters was a mistake. They joined late and brought their "social network". They did mobilize a lot of bodies,, but also brought a lot of confusion to the scene.

pcosmar
10-30-2011, 02:49 PM
What?
Folks didn't see this. or is it just sexier to paint it all as Soros inspired?

moderate libertarian
10-30-2011, 02:57 PM
The Single Largest Benefactor of Occupy Wall Street Is a Mitt Romney Donor

http://gawker.com/adbusters/

I personally think Adbusters was a mistake. They joined late and brought their "social network". They did mobilize a lot of bodies,, but also brought a lot of confusion to the scene.

That would make sense.

This may apply to some other sub-groups of OWS movement too. Question is how the sum of the parts would emerge in the end with various well funded forces out there looking to astroturph any grassroots movement that threatens status quo.

pcosmar
10-30-2011, 03:05 PM
These are still the stated goals.

As a broad-based network representing people across the political spectrum, we are working together to reach common ground and fight for pivotal political reforms. Members of this social network are part a decentralized movement that has two goals:

1) End the System of Political Bribery
2) Break Up the “Too Big To Fail” Banks and the Federal Reserve

Everything else is a distraction.

Anti Federalist
10-30-2011, 03:12 PM
What?
Folks didn't see this. or is it just sexier to paint it all as Soros inspired?

Maybe I'm just light headed from shoveling out two fucking feet of October snow, but I'm missing the significance of this, other than the connection to banksters and Flip Flopney.

Thumbnail it for me, if you would please, Pete.

specsaregood
10-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe I'm just light headed from shoveling out two fucking feet of October snow,

AF is officially out of the role as free state project advocate. :)

Brian4Liberty
10-30-2011, 03:24 PM
It's not odd for a guy who made his money in finance to spend money on causes hoping to curb the industry's worst abuses. (If anything, it's nice to have rich backers—it takes money to fight money.) It is a little odd, though, that Halper (who donates about $100,000 a year "to a variety of causes, mostly related to health care and the arts") would also be donating money to Wall Street's favorite candidate:

Is Romney Wall Street's favorite candidate? Last time around it was Obama, but these things are hidden until after the fact.

pcosmar
10-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe I'm just light headed from shoveling out two fucking feet of October snow, but I'm missing the significance of this, other than the connection to banksters and Flip Flopney.

This "movement" was not started by Adbusters. the occupywallstreet web site and forum was started by Adbusters.
Adbusters has a LOT of unsavory influences behind it. Not just any ONE.

The Movement was NOT started by Adbusters, but by other folks that also see the Federal Reserve and Central Banks as the Evil that they are.
Adbusters is a part of the Co-opting of the real movement.(IMHO)

Oh,, and sorry about the snow. Was expecting some here but have been missed so far.

pcosmar
10-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Anonymous

“We are a DECENTRALIZED non-violent movement. If you are looking to contact one of our leaders, go to the nearest mirror and peer deeply into it. It may take some time, but, eventually, one of our leaders will appear with answers to all of your questions.”

;)

Seraphim
10-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Shut up mundane. Global fucking warming is real.

Anti Federalist
10-30-2011, 06:33 PM
This "movement" was not started by Adbusters. the occupywallstreet web site and forum was started by Adbusters.
Adbusters has a LOT of unsavory influences behind it. Not just any ONE.

The Movement was NOT started by Adbusters, but by other folks that also see the Federal Reserve and Central Banks as the Evil that they are.
Adbusters is a part of the Co-opting of the real movement.(IMHO)

Oh,, and sorry about the snow. Was expecting some here but have been missed so far.

Got it.

No worries about the snow, I'll take it over heat any time.

Still, a two foot snowfall in October I'm pretty sure is unprecedented.

Danke
10-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Use a snow blower next time, chump. It has the added benefit of warming up the environment.

moostraks
10-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Good yet not a surprising find imo...I think media is being used to shape public opinion of it (OWS) being left leaning to keep people separated in their left-right camps. I think Romney is the intended winner of the GOP this time around and felt that way since he dropped out last time. Bread and circuses...

I feel more and more disjointed from society. I am not seeing any effective message being put forth but an enormous amount of noise. The fact that so many people lack the forethought to realize that freedom for themselves means allowing others to be or do that which may be repugnant in one's own eyes is really the largest hurdle imo we need to overcome. I am not quite sure how we can achieve this goal when tptb have so much working in their favor with the methods they have chosen and the various means by which they control popular opinion and the government which is at their disposal...

pcosmar
10-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Good yet not a surprising find imo...I think media is being used to shape public opinion of it (OWS) being left leaning to keep people separated in their left-right camps. I think Romney is the intended winner of the GOP this time around and felt that way since he dropped out last time. Bread and circuses...

Well some of the original motivators were likely from the progressive side. But the focus was on the Fed and Corruption, and a distaste for BOTH parties.

The Marxists and Radical "anarchists came in with Adbusters. The media has focused on them and on the confused crowd.
Anything to keep a division and the focus OFF the FED.

There are some there spreading disinfo hard,, to keep people from looking at Ron Paul and his long opposition to the Fed.
The general disgust with Republicans does not help him there.