PDA

View Full Version : Can you name some legislation that was enacted at the behest of a corp looking to stifle

Tod
10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Can you name some legislation that was enacted at the behest of a corporation looking to stifle competition? What was the legislation, what was the company that requested it, and, if they had particular competition in mind, who were they?

Acala
10-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Can you name some legislation that was enacted at the behest of a corporation looking to stifle competition? What was the legislation, what was the company that requested it, and, if they had particular competition in mind, who were they?

Just off the top of my head,

The ban on incandescent lightbulbs.
The ban on red rice yeast
the ban on importation of small stationary diesel engines
the ban on tryptophan
Everything the FDA does
All business and professional licensing laws

I'm not going to try and find out the lobbying history. You can do the research yourself.

pcosmar
10-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Prohibition of Hemp.

It was competition to both Paper and Cotton industries.
A leading Media Mogul owned the patent for wood pulp paper.

Krugerrand
10-28-2011, 12:58 PM

the ban on tryptophan
Everything the FDA does

I'm not going to try and find out the lobbying history. You can do the research yourself.

Lots of hatin' towards alternative medicine these days.

dannno
10-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Almost every piece of legislation in existence.

Are you arguing with someone about this? Do they not agree that big lobby firms from big banks and corporations run D.C.?

Rothbardian Girl
10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagner_act
The entire New Deal
If we include banks... the Federal Reserve Act

As dannno said, pretty much every piece of legislation falls under this category somehow.

BattleFlag1776
10-28-2011, 01:39 PM
TARP.
For: US Banking Cartel
Against: Real Estate Developers/Investors that buy on the downside of boom/bust periods as that same cartel liquidates assets to remove debt from their books.

kah13176
10-28-2011, 01:46 PM
The Jones' Act: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

Supports: Huge companies who can afford to comply with it.

Against: Smaller companies who can't afford to comply with it.

This act is the reason why cruise ships are mandated, by law, to visit a foreign port before returning to their home port in the US.

jason43
10-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Exactly. They pass legislation after something bad happens, but the people that write the legislation are the lobbyists of the big companies being regulated. Its a total scam.

Feeding the Abscess
10-28-2011, 02:29 PM

the ban on tryptophan
Everything the FDA does

The red rice yeast ban finally went through? I'm out of the supplement industry these days; when did it pass?

CaptainAmerica
10-28-2011, 02:34 PM
auto manufacturer safety regulations
auto manufacturer carbon emissions regulations
the federal income tax and the tax code(stifles mom and pop shops)
civil rights act of 1964 (stifles mom and pop shops)

pcosmar
10-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Freon Ban.
Enacted when the patent ran out on Freon and anyone could produce it.

Brian4Liberty
10-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Dodd-Frank.

Tod
10-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Are you arguing with someone about this? Do they not agree that big lobby firms from big banks and corporations run D.C.?

No, not yet, at least not in general. :D But I figure I better have some sized repertoire of good specific examples beyond Perry's Gardasil scandal....

Thanks, everybody....I'll do a bit of research on the scraps you've tossed me!

Pizzo
10-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Cash for Clunkers as well.

angelatc
10-28-2011, 06:58 PM

You know the $800 in platinum that sits at your curb every night? (In your catalytic converters?) When the EPA decided to limit pollutants, one of the auto makers ( I think it was GM) lobbied for them to specify that particular system had to be used to accomplish the goal for two reasons: GM owned the patent on that system, and Toyota had another system that accomplished the same thing for less money.

acptulsa
10-28-2011, 07:01 PM
There was a food handling bill passed about a year and a half ago, not long after Obama got into office and shortly after salmonella was found in peanut butter, which was largely written by Vilsack's USDA and a great benefit to Monsanto.

donnay
10-28-2011, 07:17 PM
There was a food handling bill passed about a year and a half ago, not long after Obama got into office and shortly after salmonella was found in peanut butter, which was largely written by Vilsack's USDA and a great benefit to Monsanto.

Senate Bill S 510 Food Safety Modernization Act

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/030418_Food_Safety_Modernization_Act_seeds.html#ix zz1c84S7R2Y

CODEX ALIMENTARIUS! Codex Compliance!

This bill is to come after the small farms and ranches. Shut down Farmers Markets. Not to go after Big Agra or Big pHarma!

FunkBuddha
10-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Fire safe cigarrettes.This was pushed by RJR and Phillip Morris.

PierzStyx
10-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Also the internation sugar imports quota.

Natural Citizen
08-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Please update this thread with any recent skullduggery.

better-dead-than-fed
08-25-2013, 11:35 PM

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/behest:

Definition of BEHEST

1: an authoritative order : command
2: an urgent prompting <called at the behest of my friends>

No legislation has been enacted by corporations, or on their command. Legislation is enacted by government employees, not by corporations. Corporation employees have the First-Amendment right to free speech, including the right to draft legislation and to urge government employees to enact it.

Many legislators are for sale, but they would sooner do business with an unincorporated billionaire than a corporation with no money and one employee who functions as everything from CEO to janitor.

enoch150
08-26-2013, 01:28 AM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/behest:

No legislation has been enacted by corporations, or on their command. Legislation is enacted by government employees, not by corporations. Corporation employees have the First-Amendment right to free speech, including the right to draft legislation and to urge government employees to enact it.

Many legislators are for sale, but they would sooner do business with an unincorporated billionaire than a corporation with no money and one employee who functions as everything from CEO to janitor.

Not at a command, but the second definition fits. An urgent prompting.

To answer the OP's question, the federal government and 35 states require anyone who wants to open a new medical facilities to obtain a Certificate of Need before constructing it. The express purpose of requiring a Certificate of Need is restricting competition. The bizarro world explanation for this is that to much competition would result in higher prices.

No joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_of_need

Reason #59490 why medical costs are so outrageous.

You could also point to medallions issued to taxi drivers. They serve no other purpose other than limiting the number of taxi drivers in a city.

luctor-et-emergo
08-26-2013, 02:00 AM
FAP, also known as the 'Monsanto Protection Act'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmer_Assurance_Provision

AFPVet
08-26-2013, 02:15 AM
The federal government is the ultimate monopoly. They starve off the lower competitors... only the larger monopolies survive.

better-dead-than-fed
08-26-2013, 02:26 AM
but the second definition fits. An urgent prompting.

Agreed. There are cases where corporations urge lawmakers to enact bad legislation, and no doubt cases where corporations outright bribe lawmakers to do it. The ability to pay bribes, though, comes from wealth itself. Being a corporation is not the same thing as being wealthy. I don't understand why this thread was framed in terms of "corporations", as if politicians taking bribes from unincorporated entities (e.g., sole proprietorships, partnerships, and LLC's) is any better? This seems important to me, but I realize I am outnumbered and the vilification of corporations will continue.