PDA

View Full Version : Huffpost: Fox Host Startles, Depresses Stewart

Agorism
10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/28/jon-stewart-andrew-napolitano_n_1063521.html

Jon Stewart had a lively discussion with Fox Business host Judge Andrew Napolitano on his Thursday show.

Napolitano is an avowed libertarian, and one of Stewart's favorite themes is the virtues of government, so sparks flew immediately between the two.

"Government exists to take away rights," Napolitano said by way of an opening. "...We have natural rights by virtue of our humanity, and government negates those rights." Stewart said that he sees government as an often "benevolent force" that enhances freedom through things like roads and the social safety net.

Napolitano disagreed, saying that government should not be in the business of picking "winners and losers" through things like a social safety net, or bailouts for banks. "The free market" should do those things, he said. "So what should we do with the losers that are picked by the free market?" Stewart asked. He told Napolitano he was troubled by his take on life because it clashed with his view that "everybody's success is predicated on the hard work of all of us."

A minute later, Napolitano startled Stewart by agreeing completely with his seemingly baited question about whether he viewed government as an inherent evil. "it is an inherent evil!" he said. "You're not pushing me where I don't want to go." Stewart laughed out loud.

In the extended, web-only portion of the chat, Stewart told Napolitano it was "insane" to trust a corporation more than the government, and seemed downright crestfallen at the Judge's view that, if the government stopped regulating the health care market, "we would be able to go to health care facilities that would be as plentiful and inexpensive as Starbucks."

Lothario
10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
There is something very coarse about the Judge...I just wish his knowledge could be delivered in a softer, perhaps more charismatic way.

edit: wow, the article made it sound like their interaction was much more heated...the judge actually did well keeping it pretty light and palatable.

...but look at all the comments about how wrong Napolitano is. Its a scary world we live in...

COpatriot
10-28-2011, 01:42 PM
There is something very coarse about the Judge...I just wish his knowledge could be delivered in a softer, perhaps more charismatic way.

edit: wow, the article made it sound like their interaction was much more heated...the judge actually did well keeping it pretty light and palatable.

...but look at all the comments about how wrong Napolitano is. Its a scary world we live in...
He's Italian. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoyed watching those two interact though.

BuddyRey
10-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Normally, that gruff and full-steam-ahead style is an enormous part of The Judge's charm, but you're right that it probably isn't the most effective when it comes to communicating these ideas to liberals.

Not much chance of this happening any time soon, but what I'd really love to see would be Tom Woods or Stefan Molyneux on the show. They could make some serious inroads.

Melissa
10-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Wow the comments are scary...they really think government will save us all and everyone else is greedy and trying to screw you over. Do they realize that the people in government are the same scary greedy people but now with other peoples money to spend

matt0611
10-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Wow the comments are scary...they really think government will save us all and everyone else is greedy and trying to screw you over. Do they realize that the people in government are the same scary greedy people but now with other peoples money to spend

Its depressing isn't it?
But like Tom Woods says its not at all surprising given what they are told every day. Public schools brainwash kids with this stuff. Not to mention the MSM.

Romulus
10-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Mind control.. simple answer.

Lothario
10-28-2011, 03:15 PM

But don't forget that we the people have the power with our votes!!! oh, but the congress' approval rating is 9%? ...nevermind

heavenlyboy34
10-28-2011, 03:25 PM
But don't forget that we the people have the power with our votes!!! oh, but the congress' approval rating is 9%? ...nevermind
lolz! :) ;)

specsaregood
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Individual representatives approval ratings are much higher. ie: a larger sum of people like their representative; but don't like other peoples.

Lothario
10-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Not much chance of this happening any time soon, but what I'd really love to see would be Tom Woods or Stefan Molyneux on the show. They could make some serious inroads.

Stefan Molyneux would be phenomenal on the show...