PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama With Lobbyist Donors, Obama Lets Himself Off on a Technicality

sailingaway
10-28-2011, 07:52 AM
With Lobbyist Donors, Obama Lets Himself Off on a Technicality

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/28/with-lobbyist-donors-obama-lets-himself-off-on-technicality/#ixzz1c5IWHEjb

giovannile07
10-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I read it in this article from the New York Times...

New York Times - Obama 'Bundlers' Have Ties to Lobbies Raise Millions (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/us/politics/obama-bundlers-have-ties-to-lobbying.html?_r=1&hp)

Very shady, taking no registered lobby money, but still actually getting money from lobbyists. Tsk... Only thing I don't like about New York Times article is that they state none of the Republicans have put a restriction on lobbyists' money, but I am pretty positive Ron Paul has said he doesn't take any PAC or lobbyist money. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JorgeStevenson
10-28-2011, 01:59 PM
There was an article this morning in the Washington Post about Romney's receipts from lobbyists. In the body of the article, they said that Romney, Perry, Huntsman, Santorum, Gingrich, and Paul all take money from lobbyists. The article mainly focused on how Romney is leading everyone, including Obama (who they said doesn't take money from lobbyists), in taking money from lobbyists with Perry a distant second.

They showed a graphic of all the candidates' receipts from lobbyists - Ron Paul was on there. He was in last place. He has received $210 from a total of 1 lobbyist.

Here's the article:http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/lobbyists-playing-key-role-in-2012-fundraising/2011/10/24/gIQAUg0GMM_story.html
(I guess they took Paul's name out of the body for the online version. It's there in the print version. I was shaking my head while reading it...very misleading)

As an aside, Gingrich and Huntsman receive a surprisingly large percentage of their donations from lobbyists.

giovannile07
10-28-2011, 02:21 PM
There was an article this morning in the Washington Post about Romney's receipts from lobbyists. In the body of the article, they said that Romney, Perry, Huntsman, Santorum, Gingrich, and Paul all take money from lobbyists. The article mainly focused on how Romney is leading everyone, including Obama (who they said doesn't take money from lobbyists), in taking money from lobbyists with Perry a distant second.

They showed a graphic of all the candidates' receipts from lobbyists - Ron Paul was on there. He was in last place. He has received $210 from a total of 1 lobbyist.

Here's the article:http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/lobbyists-playing-key-role-in-2012-fundraising/2011/10/24/gIQAUg0GMM_story.html
(I guess they took Paul's name out of the body for the online version. It's there in the print version. I was shaking my head while reading it...very misleading)

As an aside, Gingrich and Huntsman receive a surprisingly large percentage of their donations from lobbyists.

So, is it safe to say that Paul doesn't really take from lobbyists? Anyways, that's a bit annoying claiming Obama hasn't taken any lobbyist money acting as if there is only one strict definition of what a lobbyist counts as.

JorgeStevenson
10-28-2011, 03:55 PM
LOL I'm reading the print version of the article right now. Here's how it reads:

The analysis shows that dozens of Washington lobbyists have also given money to trailing candidates Jon Huntsman Jr., Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum, and Ron Paul, as well as Tim Pawlenty, who dropped out of the race in August.

Then, if you look at the graphic (which is identical to the one in the article I linked above), it shows that Congressman Paul has 1 lobbyist donor and accepted donations totaling $201 from lobbyists through "Sept. 31".

I guess they printed this article up before they edited it, because including Ron Paul was pretty misleading and then the whole September 31 not existing also doesn't look great.

Feeding the Abscess
10-28-2011, 06:23 PM
So, is it safe to say that Paul doesn't really take from lobbyists? Anyways, that's a bit annoying claiming Obama hasn't taken any lobbyist money acting as if there is only one strict definition of what a lobbyist counts as.

It's not that he refuses money from lobbyists per se, it's that lobbyists typically won't stand to gain much from donating to him.

Aratus
10-28-2011, 07:10 PM
true...

eduardo89
10-28-2011, 07:16 PM
It's not that he refuses money from lobbyists per se, it's that lobbyists typically won't stand to gain much from donating to him.

That's what Ron says. He talks about how he doesn't usually get PAC money and that lobbyists don't bother him in Washington, cause they know they won't get anything.