PDA

View Full Version : Question: Should Ron Paul focus more on local media?

lx43
10-27-2011, 11:33 PM
As you know Ron Paul's campaign has been spending a lot of money in key local markets such as IA, NH, SC, and NV for advertisement. I feel with the amount of money he has spent in these local markets, and will spend in the future, local stations would be receptive to giving him more coverage. After all, a big win in an early state would probably propel him nationally; resulting in national media clamoring for Ron Paul to go on their show.

Ok here is my question, do you think Ron Paul should focus most of his efforts in getting on local TV stations, newspaper, and radio in early primary states such as IA, NH, and SC instead of dealing with national media which will not give him much airtime?

Someone Else
10-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Whatever it takes.

It's a No-Brainer.

FSP-Rebel
10-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I say all of the above. However, lots of people (probably not so many politics perusers) watch their local news @ whatever time (7pm, 11pm) so it is extra beneficial to go local in the early states.

lx43
10-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Basically what I'm saying is I think the local media would give him more coverage and be fairer than the national media; and thus, should focus his efforts in that venue. Especially early states.

harikaried
10-27-2011, 11:59 PM
He's on local TV and school TV tomorrow in New Hampshire! (Also streamed to the web.)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?326479-Live-stream-amp-transcript-of-The-Telegraph-s-Ron-Paul-Interview-10-28-11am-ET

McDermit
10-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Definitely. The local nbc/abc/fox affiliates (heck, any local reporter/personality) would go nuts over getting to interview him, and it would get a good amount of replay.

I just remember Biden doing an interview with the local abc affiliate here in 2008... they replayed outtakes for 6 months. Everyone who owns a tv catches local news at least once in a while, and tons of people watch it daily or every other day. Comparatively, far fewer watch Fox News or CNN regularly.

The campaign knows at least a few days in advance where he'll be; it wouldn't hurt to call at least one local tv station and offer a brief interview a few days ahead of time. They'll hype the heck out of it. Just 5-10 minutes with a local reporter before he hops back on the plane...

dante
10-28-2011, 05:36 AM
How do you know he isn't already doing this?

10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
He's on local TV and radio in the early states all the time, also lots of local newspaper interviews. The campaign is on top of this one. The best part is that local media in the early states is less biased so most of the interviews are positive or at least fair.

cucucachu0000
10-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Absolutely the older people which is our worst section watch local news more than anybody. We have the most to gain from that then the national media plus he had his best interview with local papers and stations so far.

walt
10-28-2011, 06:59 AM
I agree with the poster from Iowa that was shocked that there were no radio ads. Just because the current Gen Y campaign manager loves video, doesn't mean that is what influences old people - ya know the people that actually vote. Lot more bang for the buck too. Lots more ability to bang the messages home. People think more when they listen to radio as well.

IndianaPolitico
10-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I agree with the poster from Iowa that was shocked that there were no radio ads. Just because the current Gen Y campaign manager loves video, doesn't mean that is what influences old people - ya know the people that actually vote. Lot more bang for the buck too. Lots more ability to bang the messages home. People think more when they listen to radio as well.
Yeah, I think flooding the early states with radio ads are a great, cheap way of getting the word out. A local candidate in my area was endorsed by a State Rep, and they had him do a radio ad for the candidate. It went over VERY well, I would like to see something like that on local Iowa radio stations.

eduardo89
10-28-2011, 07:49 AM
I said this before: every day that he's out campaigning he should do 1 or 2 quick interviews with the local news channels. Most people do not watch cable news, but they do watch their local evening news! Also it seems he gets much more fair coverage from local stations and papers than from elitist national media sources.

Napolitanic Wars
10-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Some here are saying that Ron IS getting local coverage. If that's the case, why is he not shooting up in the polls? I rationalize it by saying that the campaign hasn't been polled since the $2 million media buy. But if he's been getting local coverage where are the fruits of the labor? On top of that, why haven't RPF members been exposed to this local coverage like they were with Rand's senate run?

Okie RP fan
10-28-2011, 08:08 AM
You know, we could help just as much in local markets.

Writing in to newspapers, sticking signs out in your yard, commenting on local news sites, not arguing, just enlightening, buying ads in newspapers or local magazines (which may be pricey). And a big sticking point would be calling into local radio shows. That's where we can be effective with conservatives and Republicans. Always be sure to bring your a-game when calling in to radio shows, though.

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Absolutely they should not neglect promoting Ron with the local TV and radio stations.

But the Campaign seems to be totally overlooking print ads in local newspapers, and that bugs me a bit! This is a critical marketing method in the early states, especially with the crowd we need on board the most - 40+ and 50+. They read their local papers. If the campaign devoted the same energy into this strategy as they do into those big TV ads, I believe our number would start creeping up.

If they waited to advertise locally, we're coming upon the time to do it now, or risk leaving an important stone unturned.

tbone717
10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Radio is cheap and easy to target. Just need to simply look at the Arbitron ratings for the top stations in a market.

RonPaul101.com
10-28-2011, 09:04 AM
It depends on the marketplace, but certainly "yes" for Iowa. Iowa local news, and the news radio AM stations for ads is always good. Be part of the community, not just another candidate from somewhere else.

I would also recommend at least a minimal exposure in all/any pre April contests. I understand that early states set the tone and build momentum, but there is no reason for not being introduced to folks in places like Virginia, Tennessee, Texas, etc.,. especially those open primary states.

lx43
11-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I said this before: every day that he's out campaigning he should do 1 or 2 quick interviews with the local news channels. Most people do not watch cable news, but they do watch their local evening news! Also it seems he gets much more fair coverage from local stations and papers than from elitist national media sources.

Agreed, this interview from Benn Swann is why I said Ron should be focusing on interviews with the local media in IA, NH, SC, NV, and else where. The local media is a way to counteract the MSM blackout.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?1140-Ron-Paul-Reality-Check-from-Ben-Swann-on-Fox-19-WXIX

sailingaway
11-18-2011, 10:05 PM
He needs both. The ONLY exposure he will get in dense markets is national news. He can't afford ads in Los Angeles and Miami

lx43
11-18-2011, 10:07 PM
He needs both. The ONLY exposure he will get in dense markets is national news. He can't afford ads in Los Angeles and Miami

I'm not talking about ads, I'm more so referring to getting interviews with local reporters.

sailingaway
11-18-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm not talking about ads, I'm more so referring to getting interviews with local reporters.

but local reporters that anyone reads in LA is the LA Times, which is national.

roversaurus
11-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, he should do local TV, radio and newspapers in Iowa every day.

SL89
11-18-2011, 10:22 PM
You know, we could help just as much in local markets.

Writing in to newspapers, sticking signs out in your yard, commenting on local news sites, not arguing, just enlightening, buying ads in newspapers or local magazines (which may be pricey). And a big sticking point would be calling into local radio shows. That's where we can be effective with conservatives and Republicans. Always be sure to bring your a-game when calling in to radio shows, though.

+rep