PDA

View Full Version : Youtube censorship?

WarNoMore
10-27-2011, 08:34 PM
So I noticed the video on the Youtube channel RonPaul uploaded the Ron Paul Plan To Restore America Press Conference, and it got a lot of attention. In fact it seemed like it got too much attention for youtube's liking, since the like/dislike buttons were disabled on the video. It could just be an error, but if it is the error is still affecting the video since the like/dislike buttons are still disabled. What's also important to note is that the video has more likes than other videos uploaded witin the same time period, and also has the most comments, yet videos in the same timespan have double or nearly double the views. And keep in mind this video's like and comment count have been "broken" for over a week now. I have a screenshot from 10/19 that shows the video had 13,000 comments back then. It still has 13,000 comments 8 days later.

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-2Zs0-N1dA

Here's a video of his to compare it to that was uploaded in the same time period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7RaYbToq7Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Cenorship? I remember reading the claims of censorship the last campaign, in fact it was the first time I had noticed the freezing of view counts on youtube. Now it's a standard practice to block spammers from artificially boosting their view totals(so they go from one type of view count manipulation to another by freezing view counts), but I've never seen the like button disabled like this. Certainly not for this amount of time anyway. The comment count staying the same for over a week despite new comments constantly being added is bizarre as well. There's no way I'm going through all the comments, but I do wonder if old comments are being deleted or if the comment counter simply isn't working properly.

brushfire
10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Not sure, but I do know that youtube recently added "thumbs" ratings on embedded videos. Perhaps that coincides with what you had seen?

BTW - thumbs up'd the videos again.

mport1
10-27-2011, 08:44 PM
YouTube is not censoring. 13,895 comments, like button works.

Okie RP fan
10-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Well, many people believe Youtube purposely holds down the amount of views and "thumbs ups" there really are. I know many people are skeptical of how Youtube works, considering they are now owned by Google.

Like I said, speculation. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Youtube did censor.

WarNoMore
10-27-2011, 08:46 PM
YouTube is not censoring. 13,895 views, like button works.
13,895 views? It says 86,921 views for me, and the like button does not work. Did you like the video already? Perhaps it works for people who already liked the video, because it's a common complaint on the comment section that the like button doesn't work.

mport1
10-27-2011, 08:53 PM
13,895 views? It says 86,921 views for me, and the like button does not work. Did you like the video already? Perhaps it works for people who already liked the video, because it's a common complaint on the comment section that the like button doesn't work.

I meant to say comments, not views. Yes, my like button worked. I assume once you've already liked something it may stop working.

bluesc
10-27-2011, 08:55 PM
The first video was originally a live stream, hence the huge amount of comments and likes compared to views. There must have been ~30,000 people watching it live that were not counted in the views.

WarNoMore
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
The first video was originally a live stream, hence the huge amount of comments and likes compared to views. There must have been ~30,000 people watching it live that were not counted in the views.

Good to know. I've never watched a live stream on youtube. The likes and comments from a live stream are added to a video's page? That would explain the large amount of comments, but it doesn't explain the fact that so many people are reporting the like button doesn't work, though. I think it stopped working on the 18th and hasn't worked since. it's been stuck at 4,000 likes since then.

bluesc
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Good to know. I've never watched a live stream on youtube. The likes and comments from a live stream are added to a video's page? That would explain the large amount of comments, but it doesn't explain the fact that so many people are reporting the like button doesn't work, though. I think it stopped working on the 18th and hasn't worked since. it's been stuck at 4,000 likes since then.

I don't think the video was uploaded until the 18th, that may have something to do with it. The video page is the same as the live stream page, the video was just added a few hours after the stream had ended.