PDA

View Full Version : Peter Schiff at OWS and on CNN Tonight

Created4
10-27-2011, 05:37 PM
From Euro Pacific Newsletter:

A week ago today, I spent the afternoon visiting the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations in lower Manhattan. I brought a film crew and a sign that said "I Am The 1%, Let's Talk." The purpose was to understand what was motivating these protesters and try to educate them about what caused the financial crisis. I went down there with the feeling that much of their anger was justified, but broadly misdirected.

Indeed, there were plenty of heated discussions. I was called an idiot, a fool, a slave-driver, and a selfish person. But when we started talking about the issues, it seems like the protesters fell into two categories: those who generally understood and agreed that Washington caused this mess, and those who could only recite Democrat/union/Marxist talking points. It was the latter that usually resorted to calling names once I pointed out the hypocrisy of their positions. Usually, their argument boils down to, "the rich should be taxed until everyone is equal" or "the banks have taken over the regulatory agencies, so we need more regulations!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGL-Ex1CD1c

I think some of the leadership of Occupy Wall Street comes from this kind of radical Marxist background, and perhaps they're smart to intentionally keep quiet about their goals. Because the vast majority of protesters I met did believe in capitalism - they're just tired of being screwed over by crony capitalism. Noted school-choice activist Michael Strong calls it "crapitalism," and that's what it is. It's a rotten deal for everyone, and they know it.

The problem is that many of these people are under the mistaken impression that Wall Street banks are to blame. That's like blaming the dogs for getting into the trash can. Sure, it's bad behavior, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the authority figures - in this case, Washington. After all, it's not the New York metro area that has benefitted the most from this crisis. Rather, the counties around DC are now ranking as the wealthiest in the country. And while wealthy New Yorkers have historically made their living providing essential financial services to the global economy, Washington has always made its living one way: at your expense.

And be sure to tune in to CNN's AC360 tonight at 8pm to see me talk about my experience and my thoughts on the movement.

Let's hope the next round of protests call to Occupy Washington, the Fed, and the White House. Then maybe we'll get some real change.

Sincerely,

Peter Schiff
CEO and Chief Global Strategist
Euro Pacific Capital

Corto_Maltese
10-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Haha lively debate. Peter should have the proffesor he was debating on his show.

Imaginos
10-27-2011, 06:35 PM
The first guy with hat on is the representative of current average low income Americans.
Create nothing, produce nothing yet claiming/yelling at a business owner that he and his ghetto buddies pay for him?
Again, it's very obvious that the Democracy is a total failure (as my hero Nietzsche predicted) and it is robbery against all the productive, intelligent, high-ideal, aristocratic, noble, creative, and superior people in general.
Never give power to lower people because only thing they know is drink, sex, doing nothing but collecting welfare checks.
So as a result, they will always have multiple times more babies (which they cannot afford, i.e. you and I have to pay for their babies) than productive/ intelligent/ self respecting individuals.
So after sometime, non-productive low people's number getting increase, then they demonstrate their mob rules based upon numbers.
I fear the future of this world and mankind.

Imaginos
10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Peter said during his radio show that one woman from above crowd claimed that Peter should pay 70% of income tax!

WarNoMore
10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
I think that lady who claimed to be part of the 1% yet only paid 10% of her income in taxes suggested he pay 70%. Also one loud mouthed idiot also suggested it, and said misunderstood facts to support his argument. Peter set him straight, although I'm not sure it actually got through to him.

Glad to finally see a longer version of this, I saw bits and pieces of it elsewhere, and wanted to see more.

iamse7en
10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Anyone toobage this on CNN? I missed it.

WarNoMore
10-27-2011, 07:32 PM
It repeats at 10pm so you can catch it on tv if there isn't a toob before then.

Imaginos
10-28-2011, 04:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcteDgMZ1c

overcastpatriot
10-28-2011, 04:37 AM
When Schiff was interviewing the protesters, you could almost pinpoint the exact moment when their attempts at dialogue ended and the brainwashing kicked in. They would try to answer maybe 2 or 3 of his questions, and then, hitting the brick wall of logic, would being spouting rhetoric about ending the Bush tax cuts, Warren Buffet's secretary, or making iPhones overseas. None of which really gets to the root of the problem. The OWS movement derailed before even leaving the station.

Nate-ForLiberty
10-28-2011, 05:21 AM
When Schiff was interviewing the protesters, you could almost pinpoint the exact moment when their attempts at dialogue ended and the brainwashing kicked in. They would try to answer maybe 2 or 3 of his questions, and then, hitting the brick wall of logic, would being spouting rhetoric about ending the Bush tax cuts, Warren Buffet's secretary, or making iPhones overseas. None of which really gets to the root of the problem. The OWS movement derailed before even leaving the station.

Yes, but this is our chance to really change peoples' thinking about these problems. There is a massive fireball which was created from lots of newspaper, lighter fluid, and a long match. Unless we throw it something that it can chew on for a while, like a healthy tree trunk, the fire will burn itself out for good.

Healthy tree trunk = the philosophy of Freedom (particularly economic freedom)

Krugerrand
10-28-2011, 07:01 AM
It would be fun to watch that debate that was requested at the end.

vita3
10-28-2011, 07:03 AM
I'd love to see an hour/30 min long talk with these two