PDA

View Full Version : Mitt declines invite to "Constitutional Conversation" debate in NH

muzzled dogg
10-27-2011, 02:39 PM
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20111025-NEWS-110250325

By Aaron Sanborn
asanborn@seacoastonline.com
October 25, 2011 2:00 AMEXETER — There will be no Great Debate in town next month.

The Granite State Patriots Liberty Political Action Committee announced on Friday that its Nov. 10 Constitution-focused Republican presidential debate previously scheduled for Exeter High School's auditorium has been moved to St. Anselm College in Manchester. The group also confirmed Mitt Romney declined an invitation to participate.

Representatives from the tea party group said they want to hold the debate at a smaller location.

"We have not been very pleased with the various debates we've seen so far," said Jerry DeLemus, chairman of the Granite State Patriots Liberty PAC. "We wanted to make it more intimate."

The group is scheduled to announce its full slate of participating candidates and a media sponsor early this week.

The debate will now be called Constitutional Conversation, rather than the Great Debate.

DeLemus said the Exeter auditorium, as a larger venue, would've had greater costs associated with it, including more security, equipment and technology.

He said the group likely would've had to charge admission to cover the costs.

"Exeter is a beautiful location, but we just wanted to do it our own way and have it look different than the other debates."

DeLemus said the location at St. Anselm is much simpler and will be much more suited for a more casual roundtable discussion with the candidates.

"We don't want the candidates to feel like they're under the gun, we want them to relax and have a relaxed conversation," he said.

The debate is still scheduled to take place Nov. 10 from 6 to 8 p.m.

DeLemus said the debate will entirely focused on how the Constitution will play into the candidates' decision making.

An economy-focused debate sponsored by CNBC is being held the night before at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich.

bluesc
10-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Hahaha. Shocking that Mitt won't attend.

If it's not televised, how many candidates will skip it?

KEEF
10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Dr. Paul will be here though correct? Also, is he going to be at the one at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich. that was stated in the above article?

tsai3904
10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Dr. Paul will be here though correct? Also, is he going to be at the one at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich. that was stated in the above article?

We don't know if Ron Paul has confirmed yet.

The Constitution debate is scheduled for the day after the debate in Michigan. You can find a schedule here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?297081-Debate-calendar-with-relevant-info-%28time-location-media-ticket%29

Cowlesy
10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't blame him at all.

If I were as far ahead in the polls as Mitt is, I wouldn't even go to the debates.

RDM
10-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't blame him at all.

If I were as far ahead in the polls as Mitt is, I wouldn't even go to the debates.

Of course, he's taking the front runner approach which is probably a good strategy on his part.

J-Reg
10-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Naturally he won't go. Ron Paul would shred him up and toss him out!

sailingaway
10-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Well, it's sort of a weak subject for him. He'd have to consult his attorneys.

eduardo89
10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
I'd love to hear Herman Cain talk about how he'd sign a constitutional amendment into law

speciallyblend
10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
We don't know if Ron Paul has confirmed yet.

The Constitution debate is scheduled for the day after the debate in Michigan. You can find a schedule here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?297081-Debate-calendar-with-relevant-info-(time-location-media-ticket)

ron paul needs to do every debate period. hell they usually give him 30-40 minutes between ?? so just fly him back and forth;) Ron Paul vs Status Quo , XXX XXXX 2012

RIPLEYMOM
10-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Condense Ron's performance at this debate into a New Hampshire ad. We need to show MORE of Ron. We can then allude to the fact that Romney isn't as dedicated to the citizens of New Hampshire. :D Hee

Liberty74
10-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Mitt is against the Constitution like all Democrats and most Republicans. Of course he would skip such "conservation." It doesn't fit into his agenda of more government which is the status quo.

Both parties see the Constitution as a hurdle to do what they want - illegal wars, assassinations, bailouts, welfare spending, entitlement spending, healthcare, police state, etc. For them, it all comes down to how they use the government to reward their friends and punish their enemies.

Oddone
10-27-2011, 03:31 PM
First, I doubt they will or have invited Ron Paul. Second, if they did the smaller venue would be just that, to small to fit all the Ron Paul supporters coming to see him. Third, Herman Cain would and will fail misserably at this debate. Fourth, Newt will do destroy Cain, and I doubt Cain really wants to against Ron Paul. Have you ever seen Newt attack Ron directly on stage?

ShaneEnochs
10-27-2011, 03:49 PM
First, I doubt they will or have invited Ron Paul. Second, if they did the smaller venue would be just that, to small to fit all the Ron Paul supporters coming to see him. Third, Herman Cain would and will fail misserably at this debate. Fourth, Newt will do destroy Cain, and I doubt Cain really wants to against Ron Paul. Have you ever seen Newt attack Ron directly on stage?

Not DIRECTLY, but he Newt alluded to Ron's foreign policy. Said it would be naive or something to that effect.

RDM
10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Not DIRECTLY, but he Newt alluded to Ron's foreign policy. Said it would be naive or something to that effect.

I think if Newt attacked Ron Onstage, I believe Ron would break the "Reagan Rule" and expose Newt for all he is and Newt knows it. I think Newt treads lightly around Ron because Ron knows too much about his "dirty politics".

Kords21
10-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Newt remembers what Paul did to McCain in the last election how stupid he made him look. Newt's not stupid, he'll avoid picking a fight with Paul.

Nate
10-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Newt remembers what Paul did to McCain in the last election how stupid he made him look. Newt's not stupid, he'll avoid picking a fight with Paul.

+1

Newt is many things but stupid is not one of them. He knows that there is nothing to gain from attacking Ron, he can't shake his support & even if he could he knows he will never gain the support of those who would leave Paul's camp. Attacking Paul directly is just bad politics & Newt knows it.

Working Poor
10-27-2011, 04:32 PM
+1

Newt is many things but stupid is not one of them. He knows that there is nothing to gain from attacking Ron, he can't shake his support & even if he could he knows he will never gain the support of those who would leave Paul's camp. Attacking Paul directly is just bad politics & Newt knows it.

I think all of them know attacking Ron is a bad idea.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Am I the only one that got this? Hahaha.

rideurlightning
10-27-2011, 04:41 PM

No I got this too haha I forget which debate it was from though.

donnay
10-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Mitt declined because he is clueless about the Constitution!

Occam's Banana
10-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Oh, man! You beat me to it! :)

milo10
10-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Well, Herman Cain won't know until he's elected and in possession of all the facts, then he could really look into the Constitution.

walt
10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Can we turn Mitt's denial into a NH campaign ad? I think this could backfire if it's exposed right...

eleganz
10-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Mitt would ignore the Constitution if it were tatoo'd on the back of his hands.

AlexMerced
10-27-2011, 06:30 PM

I got it too, awww 2008 memories