PDA

View Full Version : Possible Ads in Iowa Magazines?

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Anyone have any interest in trying to get Dusman's "Oath" ad into this Iowa magaziene:
http://www.iowalivingmagazines.com/

J (http://www.iowalivingmagazines.com/)ust looking at the war veteran stories in the recent issues makes me think it could be a good audience for us. Here's the email I got from the ad guy in reply to my inquiry:

We have 20 magazines in all.
Adel
Beaverdale
Clear Lake
Downtown Des Moines (50309)
Grimes
Perry
Norwalk
Pleasant Hill
Webster City
Windsor Heights
Johnston
Clive
Waukee
Des Moines West (50312)
Boone
Altoona
West Des Moines
Fort Dodge
Ankeny
Urbandale

All go to every address in their respective community - around 167,000 total circulation. Our deadlines are working on third week of November ads now - various magazines break each week (5 a week). We can easily get you in all of them ahead of the caucus.

Price for a one time full page - color - in all 20 magazines is $9,900.
Price for a one time 1/2 page - color - in all 20 magazines is $6,822.50.

All political ads must be prepaid. We would need copy completed no later than November 16 to get you in all of our December publications. If you wanted to hit some in November instead of December, we would need copy by Nov 4, and could get you in 10 in November and 10 the first two weeks of December.

I can also put together a proposal for less coverage, but this would give you our entire network. Boasting an 82.8% readership score from CVC Audit, we can deliver your message to people who will read it!

I'll email him to get prices for smaller ads too as that is a lot of cash, but I think it could be fruitful for us, especially if we include some good contact info for people to follow up with.

http://www.blackthisout.com/extras/military-ad-outlined.jpg

trey4sports
10-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I think it's a good idea. Not only that but the timing is just right. people will be starting to really make up their mind as to who they're voting for.

IndianaPolitico
10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I think this is a fantastic idea, something that the grassroots can do VERY well! Would we want all the ads to be the "Oath" ad, or should we mix it up a bit?

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I think this is a fantastic idea, something that the grassroots can do VERY well! Would we want all the ads to be the "Oath" ad, or should we mix it up a bit?

I personally think "Oath" is pretty awesome, but am definitely open to suggestions.

dusman
10-27-2011, 01:07 PM
I like the idea of getting in on December. Hopefully the Vet Day moneybomb will raise awareness, then lead into December with a strong ad to back up the result, then Caucus on Jan. 3, then a release of Q4 donation totals, which might let us lead into NH with another ad showing off Q3 and Q4 numbers.

Karsten
10-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Lol let's advertise in Perry.

trey4sports
10-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I looked through the website and it looked like these are all veteran mag's, right? If that is correct I definitely think "oath" is a great ad to display. We should always remember our audience!

On a side note, what about doing 2 half page ads instead of one full page? I don't know I'm just brainstorming but wouldn't repetition be more effective? I'm sure there are tradeoffs just thinking out loud. probably not cost effective.

What about editing the graphic to have "Ron Paul" displayed more prominently? I'm afraid that readers who just glance over the ad wont associate "Ron Paul" with the troops because there is no prominent branding.

roversaurus
10-27-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm all for getting this in to newspapers and magazines all over Iowa.

I'd go with a half page ad over a full page ad just to save some money

anewvoice
10-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Great idea! The cost to coveraeg is phenomenal considering the same coverage would cost $50k+ in postage to mail direct.

Did they provide demographics of their readership, financial, gender, age...?

Lord Xar
10-27-2011, 04:26 PM
me like alot, but if the percentages show a greater degree of disparity if you include the 1st AND 2nd and 3rd Quarters, I'd include those numbers and mention it.. lends more credibility when you can site not jsut one instance, but multiple.

Lymeade-Lady
10-27-2011, 04:33 PM
What about editing the graphic to have "Ron Paul" displayed more prominently? I'm afraid that readers who just glance over the ad wont associate "Ron Paul" with the troops because there is no prominent branding.

YES, definitely!

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 04:56 PM

If I had to pick a second favorite, it'd probably be this one right now:

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Great idea! The cost to coveraeg is phenomenal considering the same coverage would cost $50k+ in postage to mail direct.

Did they provide demographics of their readership, financial, gender, age...?

They didn't specifically, but said that the mag gets mailed to every household in those towns. So, if we couldn't afford to do all of them I'd probably start with the more rural communities first, since I think that's where this would go over best.

Liber Team
10-27-2011, 04:59 PM
winning

garyallen59
10-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Let's do it!

Edmunster
10-27-2011, 05:14 PM
I would def. donate towards something like this!!

Lord Xar
10-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Two points: As others also noted.
1. Ron Paul needs to be branded in a much larger way
2. If the numbers show a greater percentage, include 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters and note that.

anewvoice
10-27-2011, 06:03 PM
If I had to pick a second favorite, it'd probably be this one right now:

Yeah, this is awesome, and it might align better to a magazine layout. Dusman's ad I think would fit better in a 1/2 layout for magazine pages.

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 06:24 PM
What about this magazine instead? Iowa Farmer Today:
http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/

It's obviously more rural, which I think is more our audience with the military donation numbers.

I think they are both good magazines for us, but which would be better?

I'm still leaning towards Iowa Living for the majority of our financial effort, but Iowa Farmer could be a good addition with a smaller ad maybe. Any ad guru's here?

(http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/)

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Iowa Farmer Today is also weekly, so we could hit that one up a few times with smaller ads maybe.

Here's their distribution and advertising rate info:
http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/app/pdf/ift_netrates.pdf

Sentinelrv
10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Wasn't Dusman going to take Obama out so it shows Ron beats all the other GOP candidates by a much larger percentage?

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Wasn't Dusman going to take Obama out so it shows Ron beats all the other GOP candidates by a much larger percentage?

Yes and I think he's actually planning on making a handful of different versions but from the looks of it he's got several other projects going too. I'd do it but I suck at photoshop/paint. We need $$ before we can reserve a space anyway.

GeorgiaAvenger
10-27-2011, 07:01 PM

It's obviously more rural, which I think is more our audience with the military donation numbers.

I'm still leaning towards Iowa Living for the majority of our financial effort, but Iowa Farmer could be a good addition with a smaller ad maybe. Any ad guru's here?

(http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/)http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2217/2105069107_cfac9cf4e5_b.jpghttp://earthhopenetwork.net/ron_paul_baby_tractor.jpg

IndianaPolitico
10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
I think we should go for it. The ad needs some small changes though, that others have pointed out. Removing Obama from the graph, and making Ron Paul's name more visible would pretty much do it. It appears that the magazine is mostly read by seniors, so be sure to make the text large enough.

Who wants to make the chip in?

dusman
10-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I'm just waiting on a consensus on what will happen with the ad first.

IDefendThePlatform
10-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I'm just waiting on a consensus on what will happen with the ad first.\

Well, I'll put in my .02 again.

I'd like to see the graph without Obama and having the other slice of the pie labeled "All other GOP candidates"
And I think adding a line directly below the "Visit RonPaul2012.com" line that says "or call (515) xxx - xxxx" with that being the Iowa office number for the official campaign would be good, with both lines being slightly bigger.

Just my thoughts...

Edit: Or did you mean where it would be appearing? I don't read so good.

simon1911
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
This is a great idea. You guys rock. I will donate.

FSP-Rebel
10-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah, count me in on this.

Lord Xar
10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
I agree with some others, I'd omit Obama - With Obama a distant second it draws a correlation betwee Obama / Paul - you don't want that..

You want the correlation to be between Ron Paul vs. other GOP Candidates.

D.A.S.
10-27-2011, 10:47 PM
This is a great project, and I began discussing it in some detail about a month ago here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?321547-Where-do-we-stand-with-Newspaper-Adverts-in-early-primary-states

In that same thread, there are some excellent suggestions about targeting military publications, such as Stars and Stripes and Military Times, as detailed in this post:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?321547-Where-do-we-stand-with-Newspaper-Adverts-in-early-primary-states&p=3634470&viewfull=1#post3634470

The rates for publishing this ad in Stars and Stripes, which reaches about 430,000 readers, has been discussed on pages 4 and 5 of that thread:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?321547-Where-do-we-stand-with-Newspaper-Adverts-in-early-primary-states/page4
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?321547-Where-do-we-stand-with-Newspaper-Adverts-in-early-primary-states/page5

Whichever magazine we choose, as long as it targets the heartland such as rural Iowa, chances are we'll wake up some people. I'm in full support of this project, and the time is ripe.

pauliticalfan
10-27-2011, 10:50 PM
^Ditto those suggestions. Have Ron Paul vs. All Other GOP Candidates, possibly even have them individually. Also, you need a source somewhere on there. Source: FEC Donor List

Also, I had made some suggestions in the other thread about tweaking the wording to include Dr. Paul's military service as well.

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Let's get this project organized and funded. Post up the cost analysis for the project and start a chip-in.

This could get us some much-needed support from the demographic where we're currently lacking. I was proposing this very thing earlier, but since I'm completely tied up with the Iowa College Ad project right now, I can't volunteer to organize this one. So I hope someone steps up to channel this into a well-organized, concerted effort so we can push this along and collect the funds.

IndianaPolitico
10-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Before we start Chip in's, we NEED the final ad so people know what they are donating towards. I think highlighting Paul's military service as well might help.

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Before we start Chip in's, we NEED the final ad so people know what they are donating towards. I think highlighting Paul's military service as well might help.

I agree, some kind of a marketing aspect could be added to the ad, so people will not only look at the statistic but that there's a take-away message they can glance at and easily digest. So maybe there should be outlines of Ron Paul's face etched into the background on the side of the pie graph, or some kind of a mention of Ron Paul outside of the graph.

airborne373
10-28-2011, 07:37 AM
I really like the graphic. I am in for at least $100.00 as long as this project is run properly and is completed as advertised.

eduardo89
10-28-2011, 07:56 AM

(http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/)

I was looking at that a couple months ago. The rates don't seem to bad and I think that's an important demographic in Iowa.

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 08:19 AM
According to the FEC data I compiled through Q3 2011, there are 163 persons in Iowa that contributed over $200 to Ron Paul in their total donations so far. Of those 163, 14 are either running a farm or work on a farm -- so that's roughly 10%.

Of course, this doesn't include many many others whose total donations haven't yet exceeded $200, and thus aren't reported by the FEC yet.

G-Wohl
10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
One tiny suggestion for the ad... I think it would be better to have at least the top-tier GOP candidates represented on the pie chart, even if their area of coverage is so tiny that it renders the graph inaccurate. We need to nail into the heads of each voter that Ron Paul has a staggering amount of support above and beyond the rest of the candidates. The more recognizable GOP names we have, the more likely a viewer is to associate Dr. Paul with reading/hearing those names.

It's a very good ad, otherwise. And I will certainly chip in to help this campaign get off the ground. Cheers on the great work!

trey4sports
10-28-2011, 08:59 AM
One tiny suggestion for the ad... I think it would be better to have at least the top-tier GOP candidates represented on the pie chart, even if their area of coverage is so tiny that it renders the graph inaccurate. We need to nail into the heads of each voter that Ron Paul has a staggering amount of support above and beyond the rest of the candidates. The more recognizable GOP names we have, the more likely a viewer is to associate Dr. Paul with reading/hearing those names.

It's a very good ad, otherwise. And I will certainly chip in to help this campaign get off the ground. Cheers on the great work!

I like the idea of having individual GOP candidates and their totals. Makes the ad "hit" harder.

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 09:06 AM

I like the idea of having individual GOP candidates and their totals. Makes the ad "hit" harder.

I used to advocate for keeping Obama in the pie chart, since he's the current Commander-In-Chief so this is a big point in itself that Paul outdoes him, but I guess it's more important to address the Republican demographic more than anything else now, and we'd be more effective doing this by taking Obama out and redrawing with Paul, Cain, Romney, Perry, Bachmann and Other.

trey4sports
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
I used to advocate for keeping Obama in the pie chart, since he's the current Commander-In-Chief so this is a big point in itself that Paul outdoes him, but I guess it's more important to address the Republican demographic more than anything else now, and we'd be more effective doing this by taking Obama out and redrawing with Paul, Cain, Romney, Perry, Bachmann and Other.

completely agree.

IndianaPolitico
10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Looking through this thread, the things people would like to see changed on the ad are as follows:
1: Make sure that Ron Paul's name is more visible.
2: Remove Obama from the graph, and break the repulbicans into the frontrunners, and the rest.
3: Try to add in Paul's military service.
4: Make sure all of the text is large enough to read.

Also, I am thinking that overlaying the American Flag over the background would help.

pauliticalfan
10-28-2011, 09:33 AM
bump so dusman can see

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Looking through this thread, the things people would like to see changed on the ad are as follows:
1: Make sure that Ron Paul's name is more visible.
2: Remove Obama from the graph, and break the repulbicans into the frontrunners, and the rest.
3: Try to add in Paul's military service.
4: Make sure all of the text is large enough to read.

Also, I am thinking that overlaying the American Flag over the background would help.

Yep, that about sums it up.

I'd also love to incorporate into the ad some kind of a black-n-white graphic of Ron Paul, like on the Black This Out website:
http://i.imgur.com/OZQJi.jpg

... maybe with an American flag.

anewvoice
10-28-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm exact opposite, showing Ron Paul beats the GOP candidates is 1 thing, showing Ron Paul beats Obama is another thing. More importantly though is showing that Obama beats all of the other GOP candidates.

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm exact opposite, showing Ron Paul beats the GOP candidates is 1 thing, showing Ron Paul beats Obama is another thing. More importantly though is showing that Obama beats all of the other GOP candidates.

It would be cool is we could fit both graphics in... One matching Ron Paul against all Republican candidates... And one just matching Ron Paul to Obama. That way the graph won't be too busy, and the contrasts would be apparent.

Problem is -- can we fit both graphics in?

IndianaPolitico
10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Yep, that about sums it up.

I'd also love to incorporate into the ad some kind of a black-n-white graphic of Ron Paul, like on the Black This Out website:
http://i.imgur.com/OZQJi.jpg

... maybe with an American flag.
I am not sure that putting Ron's picture in the ad would work, having two people in the ad I think would distract people. The one thing that might work, is putting a picture of him on the graph.

IDefendThePlatform
10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Reply I just got from Iowa Farmer Today:
Thanks for your inquiry.* Iowa Farmer Today (IFT) is Iowa’s best-read farm publication.* In fact we are the second largest newspaper serving Iowans.* IFT reaches over 90% of Iowa’s farmers every week with our tabloid-sized newspaper.* We do deliver all copies via US Postal Service, Periodical Class.* Over 70,000 copies are mailed weekly.* Each recipient has requested to receive the publication and provided us with written evidence of their farming operation.* I personally have experience helping political campaigns, as I have run advertising in past years for Senator Grassley, Congressman Latham, Greg Ganske and many others.
A full page (9.75” wide x 10” tall) 4/color political ad costs $3517.50 per insertion.* That works out to roughly 5 cents per farm household reached.* *You can learn much more about our publication from our online media kit.* There we have a circulation map, rate card, readership survey, online rates and more.* That information is available to you at:
http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/site/advertise/.
Political ads receive our lowest published advertising rate, which is the Rural Living rate on our Display Ad rate sheet. Our online inventory is limited, so if you are interested in those ad positions please contact me again soon.* *We do require pre-payment for all political advertising.*
I look forward to working with you and would be glad to answer any questions about Iowa Farmer Today. We publish Missouri Farmer Today as well and are part of an ag publications group called Lee Agri Media.* You can learn more about advertising opportunities for those entities at: http://www.missourifarmertoday.com/site/advertise/ and http://www.leeagrimedia.com/.
Please reply or call with any questions,

rich34
10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
When adding Paul's military service I'd try to put something in there like the only veteran that served during the vietnam era, or the only veteran running for president period. I know Perry was in what the air national guard? My dad was in the Army and fought in the vietnam war and he said that by joining the guard that was actually just another form of draft dodging. So I wouldn't want to be dishonest, but it would sound better saying Paul is the only veteran running for president. Might get there attention a little better.

IDefendThePlatform
10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
So $3,500 for a full page, color ad mailed to 70,000 Iowa farming households. Sounds good to me.

D.A.S.
10-28-2011, 02:27 PM
So $3,500 for a full page, color ad mailed to 70,000 Iowa farming households. Sounds good to me.

That's single-run, right? One issue?

I think we need to be gunning for at least 2 issues with this, any thoughts?

I say we don't need full-page -- half-page would be just as well - but the frequency is more important, and settling for a smaller ad that can run in SEVERAL issues rather than one may be our best strategy when money is short.

dusman
10-28-2011, 09:19 PM
A full page (9.75” wide x 10” tall) 4/color political ad costs $3517.50 per insertion.*

That is a lot better than I was expecting. The size seems to work well, as I won't have to modify it too much, since it's pretty close to what I have. I'll have to rework the graphic a bit to work for a half-ad, but that might make it easier to do multiple runs.

IDefendThePlatform
10-29-2011, 06:56 AM
5 cents per Iowa farm household reached, with a full page color ad in a magazine people probably actually read.

Direct mail would be easily 10x as expensive, and probably actually less effective since its more overt. This is a great ad in a magazine that people like and have requested to receive.

D.A.S.
10-29-2011, 02:49 PM
5 cents per Iowa farm household reached, with a full page color ad in a magazine people probably actually read.

Direct mail would be easily 10x as expensive, and probably actually less effective since its more overt. This is a great ad in a magazine that people like and have requested to receive.

I agree. The ad is perfect for Iowa and South Carolina demographic, and the magazine hits just the right demographic.

I would just suggest again to aim for a half-page ad, so that we are able to do more than one run. It's very important to be able to get it in print more than once. And half-page is still a great size ad - it won't get lost.

trey4sports
10-29-2011, 02:51 PM
i like it.

D.A.S.
10-29-2011, 07:14 PM
So what else needs done before this project can be realized? Is the ad finalized?

The sooner this project flies the better.

IndianaPolitico
10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Bump!

IndianaPolitico
10-30-2011, 07:59 AM
So what are we going to do then? I think this is a great way to expand our base.

D.A.S.
10-30-2011, 08:48 AM
dusman - what do you need to do with the ad to make it ready for print? if you need to alter the ad to make it suitable for half-page placement, could you do that when you have a chance?

dusman
10-30-2011, 09:23 AM
dusman - what do you need to do with the ad to make it ready for print? if you need to alter the ad to make it suitable for half-page placement, could you do that when you have a chance?

Yeah, my main concern is the sizes that will be needed as that can dramatically change how I proceed with the ad design. It sounds like for full page I am pretty close on ad size, but I'll have to make some adjustments to get it to fit into a half page format if that is the route we are going.

Once I have the sizes, I'll make the adjustments that were recommended by a few people so that there can be a few to choose from.

D.A.S.
10-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, my main concern is the sizes that will be needed as that can dramatically change how I proceed with the ad design. It sounds like for full page I am pretty close on ad size, but I'll have to make some adjustments to get it to fit into a half page format if that is the route we are going.

Once I have the sizes, I'll make the adjustments that were recommended by a few people so that there can be a few to choose from.

Here are the ad sizes indicated on their webpage:

Full Page . . . . . . . . .9 3/4” x 10” (Width X Height)
1/2 Pg. Horz. . . . . . . .9 3/4” x 5” (Width X Height)

I think going with the half-page over 2-3 issues would be the best bang for our buck, which would run us around $5700 for 3 issues, and we'd also get a multi-issue discount, I believe.

IndianaPolitico
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Bump! Are we going to do this? If so, we need to get the ad finalized and the chip ins set up.

pauliticalfan
10-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Time is of the essence...

HOLLYWOOD
10-31-2011, 03:21 PM
This photo should be used by the campaign and plastered across IOWA, RFD TV, Ag media and any Livestock festivals/auctions etc... for political ads, Meet N Greets, appearances.
http://earthhopenetwork.net/ron_paul_baby_tractor.jpg

dusman
10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Here are the ad sizes indicated on their webpage:

Full Page . . . . . . . . .9 3/4” x 10” (Width X Height)
1/2 Pg. Horz. . . . . . . .9 3/4” x 5” (Width X Height)

I think going with the half-page over 2-3 issues would be the best bang for our buck, which would run us around $5700 for 3 issues, and we'd also get a multi-issue discount, I believe.

I'll create variations for both.

D.A.S.
10-31-2011, 04:43 PM
I'll create variations for both.

Awesome - thanks, dusman!

IndianaPolitico
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Coming down to the wire, especially if we have to pre pay!

Who is handling the money side of this?

D.A.S.
11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Coming down to the wire, especially if we have to pre pay!

Who is handling the money side of this?

Well we're waiting for the ads. Can't really collect money until we can see both the half-page and full-page formats for dusman's ad. Then, after seeing the ads, we have to decide if we're going with the half-page and multiple runs or full-page and single run. Before those things happen, it would be premature to collect the dough.

IndianaPolitico
11-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Dusman, how are the ads coming? Due to cost, I am guessing that a half page ad would work the best.

GeorgiaAvenger
11-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Bump for quality grassroots

I really love this target-specific stuff; exactly what we need

IDefendThePlatform
11-02-2011, 08:09 PM
What's everyone think of this as the landing page for the ad? Was thinking we'd use www.veteransforpaul.com as a redirect to this:
http://ronpaulronpaul.com/

GeorgiaAvenger
11-02-2011, 08:19 PM
What is Ron Paul's position on Monsanto?

Lord Xar
11-03-2011, 12:09 AM
What is the status of this?

D.A.S.
11-03-2011, 12:41 AM
What's everyone think of this as the landing page for the ad? Was thinking we'd use www.veteransforpaul.com as a redirect to this:
http://ronpaulronpaul.com/

Landing page? We're advertising in Iowa Farmer Today in print, right? I doubt the older crowd that will be reading these will want to go to a website. Plus, we don't assume they are Paul supporters - we want to make them Paul supporters. So it isn't quite like with the Iowa College Ad project I'm involved in, where we're simply after registering Ron Paul supporters and signing them up to the grassroots locator service.

However, if we really want a landing page, it would make more sense advertising the site we're working on for the Iowa College Ad project, to coalesce some of those people into the grassroots locator service we're developing and get their contact info for the get out the vote initiative, etc... Granted, our site is several days from launch, but so is this ad buy.

IDefendThePlatform
11-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Landing page? We're advertising in Iowa Farmer Today in print, right? I doubt the older crowd that will be reading these will want to go to a website. Plus, we don't assume they are Paul supporters - we want to make them Paul supporters. So it isn't quite like with the Iowa College Ad project I'm involved in, where we're simply after registering Ron Paul supporters and signing them up to the grassroots locator service.

However, if we really want a landing page, it would make more sense advertising the site we're working on for the Iowa College Ad project, to coalesce some of those people into the grassroots locator service we're developing and get their contact info for the get out the vote initiative, etc... Granted, our site is several days from launch, but so is this ad buy.

By landing page I meant the URL in the lower right hand corner of the ad. I think it would be nice to send them to a page that specifically promotes dr ps military support. Did you go to the website? It's 2ndfor1sts and I think it does a great job of exactly what we need, which is reinforcing the "the troops support the veteran Paul" meme of the ad and then also asks for contact info.
And I actually do think the vast majority of farmers are online. They prob don't have facebook but most prob use the Internet for quite a bit of ther stuff these days.
I think the portal project website is good but not as specific to this ad, IMO.

D.A.S.
11-03-2011, 06:45 AM
By landing page I meant the URL in the lower right hand corner of the ad. I think it would be nice to send them to a page that specifically promotes dr ps military support. Did you go to the website? It's 2ndfor1sts and I think it does a great job of exactly what we need, which is reinforcing the "the troops support the veteran Paul" meme of the ad and then also asks for contact info.
And I actually do think the vast majority of farmers are online. They prob don't have facebook but most prob use the Internet for quite a bit of ther stuff these days.
I think the portal project website is good but not as specific to this ad, IMO.

Yea, it's definitely a very nice website, and I did visit it a couple times before. Sure, including it won't hurt.

GeorgiaAvenger
11-03-2011, 09:24 PM

GeorgiaAvenger
11-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Lord Xar
11-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I am kinda curious what is going on with this - great idea. Seems to come to a sudden halt.

IDefendThePlatform
11-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I am kinda curious what is going on with this - great idea. Seems to come to a sudden halt.

I just hit up RevPAC for possible funding. Project is still on, just gotta get our ducks in a row. Magazine comes out weekly, so should be plenty of opportunities to run it. Also, that same magazine has a website that takes ads:

M (http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/)ight be a good place for one of the SupportThemNow moneybomb ad banners. I just emailed the ad rep about, will post when I hear back. Hopefully we can get this running and have a chip in up very soon.

Lord Xar
11-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I just hit up RevPAC for possible funding. Project is still on, just gotta get our ducks in a row. Magazine comes out weekly, so should be plenty of opportunities to run it. Also, that same magazine has a website that takes ads:

M (http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/)ight be a good place for one of the SupportThemNow moneybomb ad banners. I just emailed the ad rep about, will post when I hear back. Hopefully we can get this running and have a chip in up very soon.

Get a chipin going, don't rely RevPac - Get the ad, or a few to see what works, and start the chipin... once you get the money, do it.
Perhaps if RevPac see's that it is of benefit, they might chipin but I think the grassroots can do this.

What ad are you going with? What size?

D.A.S.
11-05-2011, 12:26 PM
We'd like the half-page ad, I think... I sent dusman a PM, but he must be way busy, so I haven't heard back from him at all.

IndianaPolitico
11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
We need to get this going fast, deadline coming up. I hope Dusman gets the ad done quick, this is what we need to boost Ron in Iowa! How much do we want to win?

dusman
11-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey guys. Here is a half page version with the Obama numbers. I'm working on the graph for just GOP.

I stripped away all the wording and just focused on the pie chart in the half-page. Part of this was because such a lack of space (kind of like fitting a round peg into a square hole), but also simple is better in a lot of cases.

What do you think?

http://www.blackthisout.com/extras/halfpage-mil-ad-all.pdf

D.A.S.
11-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Great job, dusman! I love the simplicity - straight to the point and very quickly readable.

Thank you so much!

D.A.S.
11-06-2011, 06:03 PM
The only suggestion I would make it to make "TO PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES" some other color, so that it stands out more... Maybe make those words yellow, like the website address is specified in Yellow?

Also, the ad should probably include the following fine print:

"The data is based on the candidates' financial reports available from the FEC for Q2 and Q3 2011, which only include donors whose aggregate donations exceed $200."

IndianaPolitico
11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Hey guys. Here is a half page version with the Obama numbers. I'm working on the graph for just GOP.

I stripped away all the wording and just focused on the pie chart in the half-page. Part of this was because such a lack of space (kind of like fitting a round peg into a square hole), but also simple is better in a lot of cases.

What do you think?

http://www.blackthisout.com/extras/halfpage-mil-ad-all.pdf
Wow, you have out done yourself again! I am wondering if the text, "2011 Military Donations" should be a bit bigger, and maybe say, "2011 Military Donations to Presidential Candidates". But, I am just thinking out loud. A very nice, simple, eye catching design. Now I am wondering who is handling getting the donations? +rep!

pauliticalfan
11-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Am I the only one that thinks it might be too simple? I feel like it needs some text, even if it's minimal.

What about moving 2011 Military donations beneath the graph and having:

I Support Him
...and I'm not alone.

in the space between the soldier and the graph?

Also, "3rd Quarter-FEC" looks kind of strange. What about just having "3rd Quarter" and then "Source: FEC" beneath it.

Lord Xar
11-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I like it, the simplicity is impressive - but two things..

1. Make sure the graphic of the man is public domain (someone already brought this up in another thread)
2. I would perhaps have a catch line -- "Politicians want wars, servicemen want peace"

IDefendThePlatform
11-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I like it, but I like the full page better. I think the "I took an Oath....And I'm not alone" text was very powerful and a big part of the ad. If we can't raise the full amount for a full pager I understand, but I really think one of the best qualities of the ad is how compelling it is visually and getting people to stop and stare at the whole page makes it more effective, IMO. While I'd like to run the ad more than once, I think its more important we maintain the visually compelling nature of it.

In either case I'm eager to see it with the Obama-less graph to see what that looks like. I really think we've got a good opportunity here.

D.A.S.
11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I like it, but I like the full page better. I think the "I took an Oath....And I'm not alone" text was very powerful and a big part of the ad. If we can't raise the full amount for a full pager I understand, but I really think one of the best qualities of the ad is how compelling it is visually and getting people to stop and stare at the whole page makes it more effective, IMO. While I'd like to run the ad more than once, I think its more important we maintain the visually compelling nature of it.

In either case I'm eager to see it with the Obama-less graph to see what that looks like. I really think we've got a good opportunity here.

I'm just not sure full-page is viable for this project. But half-page ain't small, though!

It could be a good idea to add "I took an Oath... And I am not alone" as the header above the pie chart... But "2011 Military Donations... TO Presidential Candidates" is very effective there in the middle.

Hope we can get this finalized and just run with it.

IndianaPolitico
11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
So is this still a go? Who is heading up this project?

dusman
11-10-2011, 10:49 AM
So is this still a go? Who is heading up this project?

I'll do my best to get the other variations finished. I have been so crammed this past few weeks, I haven't had much time to work on them. =/

IDefendThePlatform
11-10-2011, 01:05 PM
I'll do my best to get the other variations finished. I have been so crammed this past few weeks, I haven't had much time to work on them. =/

Once those are ready I'd be happy to throw up a poll, get a final vote on which version to use, and start a chip in.

IDefendThePlatform
11-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Just got this from the Iowa Living Magazine ad rep: (Looks great, but I still think Iowa Farmer is our better option if we have to pick between the two)

GeorgiaAvenger
11-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Lord Xar
11-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Just got this from the Iowa Living Magazine ad rep: (Looks great, but I still think Iowa Farmer is our better option if we have to pick between the two)

Well, we have just 5 days to finalize the ad AND raise the money based on that attachment, so this needs to be decided fast. Else, it would be cheaper, but with fewer magazines.

The Chipin should of already been started with some drafts with a note of a finalized one 'coming soon'.

Lord Xar
11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Maybe we can cross-reference those counties with percent of registered republican voters. = and concentrate on those. Anyways, can we get this ball rolling?

IDefendThePlatform
11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Maybe we can cross-reference those counties with percent of registered republican voters. = and concentrate on those. Anyways, can we get this ball rolling?

Ok, yes its probably time to "get this ball rolling"...
Please contribute (and bump) here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?329306-Help-Win-Iowa!-quot-Oath-quot-Ad-Chip-In