PDA

View Full Version : A way to get turn out from young people in Iowa.

AlexAmore
10-27-2011, 03:44 AM
SMS campaigns! Apparently it was used by Barack Obama but I don't know any details about how, but I have some ideas.

Fun Facts:

1. 18-29 year old consumers use text messaging more often than voice to communicate.
2. On average, 94% of text messages are read.
3. 80% of consumers keep their mobile with them all day.

A plan:

So I'm thinking you could hit up colleges with anti-war materials (an example) with a big giant call to action that could say things like
- "To help us end these wars text 'keyword' to 99000"
- "Are you anti-war? Text 'keyword' to 99000"
- "If your anti-war and want to get a free hot dog at Joe's Pizza text....etc"
(Joe's pizza would be a local Ron Paul supporting business and they just show the proof of text)

Then whenever they text, you get their number in your database and can contact them via mass text ANY TIME you want.

Obviously there are a million different ways to do this. I'm just trying to give a proven idea that does work for businesses today.

I would recommend using Trumpia. They're the most well-known polished company that does this.

orenbus
10-27-2011, 04:27 AM
If there is a mobile device/web developer with the skills or knowledge to put something like this together with the help of some other techies and creative people PM D.A.S. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=32566) or me.

Our "Iowa & Early States" project, post launch, may want to adopt this idea into our scope and coordinate efforts to develop a solution.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?323238-The-Iowa-College-Ad-Project-and-Grassroots-Web-Portal-Chip-in-Included

Elwar
10-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Beer at the polls.

D.A.S.
10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
If there is a mobile device/web developer with the skills or knowledge to put something like this together with the help of some other techies and creative people PM D.A.S. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=32566) or me.

Our "Iowa & Early States" project, post launch, may want to adopt this idea into our scope and coordinate efforts to develop a solution.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?323238-The-Iowa-College-Ad-Project-and-Grassroots-Web-Portal-Chip-in-Included

Indeed - the reach of mobile apps cannot be underestimated these days. And Ron Paul tends to lead with the young people, so this could be a way to extend our reach and organizational efforts.

If there's a developer with some experience doing something like this, we definitely want you involved with our project!

McDermit
10-27-2011, 10:36 AM
A local libertarian council candidate has a short code set up for this. You text his last name to the 5 digit number, and get a thank you and "we are counting on your vote on Nov 8" text back. He intends to send out a text on the 7th to remind everyone, and again midday on the 8th.

This is something HQ should definitely look into

PastaRocket848
10-27-2011, 10:45 AM
SMS is simple to send from a web app. No need to pay a third party. There are open source libraries available that'll do just fine.

EDIT: turns out you have to pay for the server time regardless... clickatell.com has a plugin that makes integration simple. definitely worth it to not have to mess with the server side.

roversaurus
10-27-2011, 10:48 AM
AWESOME idea!!!!!

zHorns
10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Obama does this. It was a huge success back in '08.

sailingaway
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm going to put a copy of this thread into the campaign suggestion box forum. Which isn't to say grass roots shouldn't brainstorm on it, as well.

Brendan Wenzel
10-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Contact Michael Maresco (RonPaulHawaii). He's been working on something very similar to this for months.

cdc482
10-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Excellent idea! I hope iowans read this and take your advice. All it takes is a cell phone with texting capabilities.

Brendan Wenzel
10-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Obama does this. It was a huge success back in '08.

God, if we did everything Obama did and does... then... then... well, I guess we'd be close to winning this thing.