PDA

View Full Version : OWS Occupy Together Meetup Meetings

nayjevin
10-27-2011, 02:27 AM
http://www.meetup.com/occupytogether/

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul/

Find Occupy meetings in your area. Map and calendar.

:toady::cool::toady:

CaptainAmerica
10-27-2011, 02:40 AM
sorry to break it to you but I focus on getting Ron Paul elected and thats the purpose of meetup for ron paul groups.I'd rather not play into the hands of global psyops.

http://www.fullertonsfuture.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Puppets-on-a-string1.jpg

nayjevin
10-27-2011, 02:50 AM
sorry to break it to you but I focus on getting Ron Paul elected and thats the purpose of meetup for ron paul groups.I'd rather not play into the hands of global psyops.

http://www.fullertonsfuture.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Puppets-on-a-string1.jpg

So you're saying that a large crowd of activists is a bad place to get Ron Paul elected?

CaptainAmerica
10-27-2011, 02:56 AM
So you're saying that a large crowd of activists is a bad place to get Ron Paul elected?
I have a better idea. HOW ABOUT we focus our energy towards bringing republicans to vote for Ron Paul..hm sounds like a way to get him elected.

Arklatex
10-27-2011, 03:08 AM
Hey Nay, thanks dude I see there is a rally right down the road from me this Saturday. Last time I went to a tea party there and held up a big Ron Paul sign a got many a good response and meet some people so we could network. Met the state CFL coordinator randomly like that and people from the local Paul meetup. It was a very productive day. Got my picture put in a local magazine, me holding the Paul sign and my bud with the Fort Moultrie flag.

nayjevin
10-27-2011, 03:14 AM
I have a better idea. HOW ABOUT we focus our energy towards bringing republicans to vote for Ron Paul..hm sounds like a way to get him elected.

Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to me. Think about this for a minute before you come to such a harsh conclusion. Why can't republican activists be at an OWS rally? And what difference does the (R) or (D) really make?

It's not really about any election is it? The federal reserve monopoly on the money system... the banker bailouts... the crony corporatism. Keeping true grassroots movements from being co-opted by the establishment... solidarity and the like. :)

Xelaetaks
10-27-2011, 03:29 AM
I'd bet you can find tons of people at OWS that would support ending the wars and ending the federal reserve, once they learn Ron Paul will do all these things they may be on board. I don't know how many OWS people will really vote when it comes down to ot but if they're politically active I don't see why not.

nayjevin
10-27-2011, 04:26 AM
ending the wars

No doubt. Lots of money goes into explosions. Old boy network corruption and no-bid contracts to the major players of the military industrial complex. Playing both sides of wars and inciting hatred among and between otherwise peaceful groups in the interest of profits. All connected, only Ron is talking about it. If they don't support him yet they will.

Brett85
10-27-2011, 07:39 AM
\ And what difference does the (R) or (D) really make?

Because Democrats don't vote in Republican primaries. This should be a very simple concept, but people here still don't seem to get it.

speciallyblend
10-27-2011, 07:53 AM
bottom line if they are not willing to join the gop. They are a waste of time right now. The focus should be folks willing to join the gop or are registered republican especially if they live in IOWA, If folks want to take action freakin OCCUPY IOWA, using occupy to make the point!

we should be encouraging all americans in iowa and across this country to join the gop and take back their country, Ron Paul 2012

slamhead
10-27-2011, 08:18 AM
I think it is a good idea if they were willing,to let you stump for RP. It would be a great way to educate the misguided outside the chaos down at OWS.

icon124
10-27-2011, 08:24 AM

here's the problem...the mainstream republicans are even more stupid then the so called activists. It's easier to talk to the activists because they are willing and want change. These stupid republicans vote on what they watch on T.V. and have such a closed minded view point it is almost impossible to get across to them.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-27-2011, 08:57 AM
http://www.meetup.com/occupytogether/

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul/

Find Occupy meetings in your area. Map and calendar.

:toady::cool::toady:

I really would like to support Occupy Wallstreet. Except many things they are shouting are not true, and Wallstreet is merely a host of the real parasite--the establishment/elite.

FreedomHorn
10-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I think it makes sense that they would want to get behind someone that would bring about real change. They want Paul whether they know it or not. It's our job to get out there and spread the word. Don't be fooled by the media into thinking they're communists.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-27-2011, 08:58 AM
here's the problem...the mainstream republicans are even more stupid then the so called activists. It's easier to talk to the activists because they are willing and want change. These stupid republicans vote on what they watch on T.V. and have such a closed minded view point it is almost impossible to get across to them.

I think they're being stupid, but I don't think they are stupid. They've just lost the ability to critically think, and merely need an awakening.

Neocons support many senseless things.
Neoliberals support a president that's ripping them off.

Both are to blind to see it.

dannno
10-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Agreed, young activists are much more open to new ideas than old Republicans.

dannno
10-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I really would like to support Occupy Wallstreet. Except many things they are shouting are not true, and Wallstreet is merely a host of the real parasite--the establishment/elite.

That's why we should help change and shape the message to better fit reality.

ronpaulhawaii
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Much depends on location and prioritizing. In open primary states (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?315740-State-by-State-Voting-Information) such outreach has more value than in closed primary states, but ISTM such outreach should take a backseat to other more effective activism for winning a GOP primary. If people are already phonebanking, attending GOP events, etc..., doing educational outreach at OWS seems a decent diversion to add variety and avoid burnout. People should not fool themselves to think that such outreach will translate to very many actual GOP primary votes.

Nate
10-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Because Democrats don't vote in Republican primaries. This should be a very simple concept, but people here still don't seem to get it.

Tell that to the 217 former Democrat voters I have pledged to vote for Ron Paul in the Illinois primary. Thanks for your "expert" advice but instead I'll actually do something positive instead of sit on a message board & criticize other people's activism. I've found it's easier to cure the Democrats/liberals/progressives of their ignorance of economics than to cure Republicans/conservatives of their blood lust & xenophobic paranoia. If you are better at reaching out to "conservatives" then by all means do that but stop pissing on other activists who take a different path, IT DOES NOT HELP GET RON PAUL ELECTED, no matter what you think. We need as many votes as we can get & I DO NOT CARE from which plantation of ignorance they come from, left-Hegelian or right-Hegelian, as long as they break free of the left-right prison & then vote for Ron Paul.

nayjevin
10-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Much depends on location and prioritizing. In open primary states (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?315740-State-by-State-Voting-Information) such outreach has more value than in closed primary states, but ISTM such outreach should take a backseat to other more effective activism for winning a GOP primary. If people are already phonebanking, attending GOP events, etc..., doing educational outreach at OWS seems a decent diversion to add variety and avoid burnout. People should not fool themselves to think that such outreach will translate to very many actual GOP primary votes.

Tell that to the 217 former Democrat voters I have pledged to vote for Ron Paul in the Illinois primary. Thanks for your "expert" advice but instead I'll actually do something positive instead of sit on a message board & criticize other people's activism. I've found it's easier to cure the Democrats/liberals/progressives of their ignorance of economics than to cure Republicans/conservatives of their blood lust & xenophobic paranoia. If you are better at reaching out to "conservatives" then by all means do that but stop pissing on other activists who take a different path, IT DOES NOT HELP GET RON PAUL ELECTED, no matter what you think. We need as many votes as we can get & I DO NOT CARE from which plantation of ignorance they come from, left-Hegelian or right-Hegelian, as long as they break free of the left-right prison & then vote for Ron Paul.

Well said ya'all.

CaptainAmerica
10-27-2011, 07:02 PM

please stfu. most of the activists are anti-capitalists who have their heads up their asses and don't understand a damn thing about what they protest.I am fucking fed up with you people telling us to waste our fucking TIME on the OWS bullshit! WE donate WAY TOO MUCH money and invest WAY too much time into getting Ron Paul elected to go play activists at the OWS. Sorry but I don't see any future investment worth giving into OWS...they are doomed to fail with their democracy mentality.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-27-2011, 07:05 PM
please stfu. most of the activists are anti-capitalists who have their heads up their asses and don't understand a damn thing about what they protest.

Unfortunately, this is true. A majority of the activists are shouting things like "Capitalism Failed!"

Capitalism is the closest to being perfect, out of any foundation. The problem is that capitalism can be ruined by the ill-intent.

cajuncocoa
10-27-2011, 07:18 PM
please stfu. most of the activists are anti-capitalists who have their heads up their asses and don't understand a damn thing about what they protest.I am fucking fed up with you people telling us to waste our fucking TIME on the OWS bullshit! WE donate WAY TOO MUCH money and invest WAY too much time into getting Ron Paul elected to go play activists at the OWS. Sorry but I don't see any future investment worth giving into OWS...they are doomed to fail with their democracy mentality. Well said.

icon124
10-27-2011, 07:19 PM
please stfu. most of the activists are anti-capitalists who have their heads up their asses and don't understand a damn thing about what they protest.I am fucking fed up with you people telling us to waste our fucking TIME on the OWS bullshit! WE donate WAY TOO MUCH money and invest WAY too much time into getting Ron Paul elected to go play activists at the OWS. Sorry but I don't see any future investment worth giving into OWS...they are doomed to fail with their democracy mentality.

I was at OWS for 4 days two weeks ago, been at my local occupy about 9 times, traveled to the D.C. occupy twice. Unless you have been to the source please do not assume you know what you are talking about. So, you please stfu sir...that is unless you have been to an occupy site near you and they are all anti capitalist I have no idea what you are talking about.

It's probably 60%-40%. and about 90% that know something is wrong....10% who is just being a part of history just because.

40% understand some sort of corporatism, Fed issues, sound policies, liberty, and overall respect for other people. 60% is the crowd that is either just asleep or mixed with a few that are all about just what they want without really to many regards for the overall outcome.

NOW, I have been fighting to get Dr. Paul elected for aobut 5 years, following him for about 8 (understanding liberty, Austrian economics, and the likes). I have delt with plenty of neo-cons. Some easier than others, but most are just plain delusional. At least with this group we are actually focusing on the respect of people and to also get money out of politics.

Arklatex
10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Semantics get us into so much trouble. When they say Capitalism they are referring to our current system, and they are right.

PaulConventionWV
10-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Yes, very bad. Your use of generalizations doesn't fool anybody.

PaulConventionWV
10-27-2011, 07:40 PM
That's why we should help change and shape the message to better fit reality.

Change and shape the message, eh? Whatever you say, boss.

PaulConventionWV
10-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I was at OWS for 4 days two weeks ago, been at my local occupy about 9 times, traveled to the D.C. occupy twice. Unless you have been to the source please do not assume you know what you are talking about. So, you please stfu sir...that is unless you have been to an occupy site near you and they are all anti capitalist I have no idea what you are talking about.

It's probably 60%-40%. and about 90% that know something is wrong....10% who is just being a part of history just because.

40% understand some sort of corporatism, Fed issues, sound policies, liberty, and overall respect for other people. 60% is the crowd that is either just asleep or mixed with a few that are all about just what they want without really to many regards for the overall outcome.

NOW, I have been fighting to get Dr. Paul elected for aobut 5 years, following him for about 8 (understanding liberty, Austrian economics, and the likes). I have delt with plenty of neo-cons. Some easier than others, but most are just plain delusional. At least with this group we are actually focusing on the respect of people and to also get money out of politics.

Good job pulling statistics out of your ass.

ShaneEnochs
10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I'd just like to throw in my two cents here. I don't know about the OWS people in your home towns/states, but not all of them are as bizarre as MSM makes them out to be. I had a conversation with a guy the other day who was a part of the group that's protesting in front of the Chase near my house. He's very aware that CORPORATISM is what's causing the problem, not capitalism. Apparently, they're protesting that the government is helping out businesses, banks, etc. with tax payer dollars. He said that if the government wanted to help people out, they should have flooded those dollars back into the economy instead. Though that may be a little naive, I can see where he is coming from.

I asked what his stance was on Ron Paul, and he said he didn't know much about him. So I let him know. He said he would have to research him on his own, but if what I said was true (I mentioned the FED), then RP had his vote.

Some (or, dare I say, most) of these people can be reasoned with. There's no reason to lump them all together. The OWS movement is a loose group of angry people. A lot of them are angry for different reasons. I think RP's message would resonate with a lot of them. Those of us who are not in the early primary states may do well to go and at least hand out fliers to the people. It beats talking to ourselves.

nayjevin
10-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I encourage associating with people who care about the issues, no matter what persuasion to which they think they align. Much more productive than randomly trying to find people out of an open crowd. Most care not a whit about the issues.

At OWS, guaranteed to find political conversation, no need to get someone interested in the first place. The first hurdle is already resolved.

mainstream economist
10-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I see both sides being less than cordial with each other. If someone wants to go to OWS and attempt to educate the crowd, that is his/her right. If a person feels that his/her skills and opportunities best align with that mission, so be it.

That said, personally, I do not think that concerning ourselves with OWS is not the best use of our time. 1 Iowa voter or 1 New Hampshire voter is more important than 10 voters in any state where OWS is big right now. Instead of arguing with the people who want to go to OWS and give it a shot, I say that we devote our energies to the Phone From Home program and fundraising for TV ads in IA/NH. Iowa is probably the more important of the two at this moment.

CaptainAmerica
10-27-2011, 08:13 PM
For every hour you spend at OWS you could have phone banked some Iowa voters.

Brett85
10-27-2011, 08:15 PM

That strategy certainly didn't work in 2007. Think what you want, but the only way Ron has a chance to win the GOP nomination is if he convinces Republicans that he's the most conservative candidate in the race. He won't accomplish that by pandering to the OWS crowd.

speciallyblend
10-27-2011, 08:17 PM
That strategy certainly didn't work in 2007. Think what you want, but the only way Ron has a chance to win the GOP nomination is if he convinces Republicans that he's the most conservative candidate in the race. He won't accomplish that by pandering to the OWS crowd.

really?? cause last time i looked i joined the gop and became a republican and a delegate. My example proves your flatout wrong.

ShaneEnochs
10-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I encourage associating with people who care about the issues, no matter what persuasion to which they think they align. Much more productive than randomly trying to find people out of an open crowd. Most care not a whit about the issues.

At OWS, guaranteed to find political conversation, no need to get someone interested in the first place. The first hurdle is already resolved.

Right. Apathy is a pretty tough thing to battle against. Ignorance is too, but it's slightly easier than apathy.

icon124
Good job pulling statistics out of your ass.

funny how the same people that hate how the MSM treats Dr. Paul listens to them about OWS. Just go to one near you my friend I'm telling you..

Here is Peter Schiff at OWS watch the end.

http://youtu.be/UGL-Ex1CD1c

nayjevin
http://www.meetup.com/Kc-Ron-Paul-for-President-2012/events/38890362/

Brett85
10-27-2011, 08:19 PM
really?? cause last time i looked i joined the gop and became a republican and a delegate. My example proves your flatout wrong.

So your specific example over shadows the results from 2008? I'm not opposed to getting people to join the GOP and vote for Ron. I'm just saying that the main priority should be to reach out to conservative Republicans who are much more likely to vote in GOP primaries. It just makes sense to reach out to the people who vote in the largest numbers.

speciallyblend
10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
So your specific example over shadows the results from 2008? I'm not opposed to getting people to join the GOP and vote for Ron. I'm just saying that the main priority should be to reach out to conservative Republicans who are much more likely to vote in GOP primaries. It just makes sense to reach out to the people who vote in the largest numbers.

i heard ron paul supporters can chew gum and walk at the same time;) no reason not to cover all the bases!!

ronpaulhawaii
10-27-2011, 09:10 PM
... and to also get money out of politics.

I heard that down at OWS... makes for a good soundbite, but seems a

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/canofworms.jpg

How would that work? Who would pay for the campaigns?

I look at the "getmoneyout" website and see two proposed amendments that seem ill thought.

The first says no-one can contribute directly or indirectly... Does this mean taxpayer funded? Who would be the gatekeepers? And would I be forced to help fund candidates from NAMBLA/etc...?

The second states that no-one can contribute more than the equivalent of $100, how would in-kind donations factor into that?

Seems more a can o worms than a panacea to me...

http://neighbourhoods.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341ce56753ef014e6025ed32970c-320wi

Jingles
10-27-2011, 09:16 PM
I think they're being stupid, but I don't think they are stupid. They've just lost the ability to critically think, and merely need an awakening.

Neocons support many senseless things.
Neoliberals support a president that's ripping them off.

Both are to blind to see it.
I'm pretty much with you on this. Some are really stubborn, but it just takes some work. When you truly explain and make them understand our financial situation they get it. Average Republicans have a belief that government should be limited, but they get stuck on the cheap words and talking points. You just need to push the record over rhetoric and that we need the person who will seriously limit government. With the religious ones you just need to explain his faith. We'll have an easier time with the traditional conservative, fiscal conservative block, and as well a decent amount of the religious voters. The hardest are the hawks and the super socialcons.

If there is anything I love Reagan for its really this quote (when they bring up "well he is a libertarian"): "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is."

Its hard to get a democrat to register republican. The one's that really care just refer them to the Blue Republican stuff. Independents can just be too apathetic sometimes or stubborn to join a party. They take work as well.

I personally think we are getting too caught up with the OWS crap. It seems like some of you guys just want to hop into ever protest or "activism" that happens. While that's all fine and dandy we are trying to win an election, not just trying to throw information at anyone we see. I just find a lot of people don't like it when your trying to give them a bunch of information if they really don't want it. You need to know when to hold 'em or fold 'em. What's going to get us primary votes? Screaming outside with a megaphone, or getting involved with GOP groups/talking with them/being nice/door to door/campaigning for the people that always vote?

I'm not trying to diss activism/protesting or anything, but I don't understand the obsession some have with OWS here. That's, just like, my opinion, though, man.

Maybe somehow it will all just jumble together and work. Who knows. I just think its more effective to go after Republican voters and I have a much easier time with them than any other group. I was once a neocon/typical republican years ago. I get why they would be. They just aren't getting the full picture of what limited constitutional government is. When you explain it right they embrace it. To me it comes back to economics. Its why a lot of democrats still support Obama and won't support Ron Paul even though they will agree with his foreign policy and things involving civil liberties. Its a size of government problem and its role. The people with the inclination for limited government are much easier to get than those with the inclination of larger government.

/rant I just need to get that of my chest :rolleyes:

nayjevin
10-27-2011, 09:29 PM
If there is anything I love Reagan for its really this quote (when they bring up "well he is a libertarian"): "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is."

This is key, once understood that the words have been used against both groups, and it's essentially the people vs. the establishment, it's all downhill.

I personally think we are getting too caught up with the OWS crap. It seems like some of you guys just want to hop into ever protest or "activism" that happens. While that's all fine and dandy we are trying to win an election, not just trying to throw information at anyone we see. I just find a lot of people don't like it when your trying to give them a bunch of information if they really don't want it. You need to know when to hold 'em or fold 'em. What's going to get us primary votes? Screaming outside with a megaphone, or getting involved with GOP groups/talking with them/being nice/door to door/campaigning for the people that always vote?

Who? Who has a megaphone? I think a lot of this is just imagery in your mind.

Will you allow me the freedom to go where I wish without your judgment?

Will you trust me to consider how effective any given conversation I have truly is?

Is it okay to post links on a forum, once, without being labeled obsessed?

:) Perhaps you aren't directing your comments at me.

It's all good to persuade, attempt to change hearts and minds. For both the people who wish to go, and the people who wish that others would do something else. It's probably not effective for either group to do much browbeating.

The way I see it, it could be any type of rally for all I care. If it's the hottest thing going in political activism, we ought consider the value of being there.

Jingles
10-27-2011, 09:40 PM
:) Perhaps you aren't directing your comments at me.

I'm not at all, I'm just being general. I just fall in the pessimistic camp in regards to my views on OWS. What I view as fruitless people to apply time and effort to others look as an opportunity to educate.

nayjevin
10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm not at all, I'm just being general. I just fall in the pessimistic camp in regards to my views on OWS. What I view as fruitless people to apply time and effort to others look as an opportunity to educate.

OK, just hope we can all choose freely where we spend our time and help each other learn to do so with wisdom.