PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming ideas for a 2-minute stump speech promoting Ron Paul (for Iowa caucus)

harikaried
10-26-2011, 08:40 PM
At the caucus just before people vote, two minutes will be given for each candidate if somebody wants to talk about the candidate.

We should brainstorm to figure out what topics to cover in the 2 minutes. Once we have a good set of key ideas, we can then figure out the actual flow and then the actual speech. Then hopefully we can get this to people voting at the caucus and have them practice delivering it.

The goal is to convince any undecided voters.

Here's some topics that should be good for Iowa:

- delivered 4000 babies and knows how to protect life
- veteran and best choice for commander-in-chief to defend this country; the troops support him with the most money
- serious about turning the country around; has a plan that cuts $1 trillion in spending in just the first year while also cutting $500 billion in taxes
- is the conservative that can beat Obama because he gets widespread support

My list is mostly unprioritized, but people can number their suggestions if something is really important that must be included.

Suzu
10-26-2011, 09:35 PM
I know it's only two minutes and you can't say much in that time. The manner of delivery of whatever you say must be powerful and must GRAB people by the gut and get them to make the right decision that very night.

Check these videos to get a glimpse of what I mean:

#1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZTpYTQLz6c

#2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj17sHDWamw

Eryxis
10-26-2011, 10:24 PM
John Killian... a helluva speaker. Old fashioned fire and brimstone preacher, who isn't preaching fire and brimstone.

Uriah
10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
In 2007 we held a speech contest to select the two speakers for Ron Paul in Jefferson county Iowa. I think it's best if someone creates their own speech. It comes from the heart that way and they can deliver it with passion instead of trying to memorize what they should say. It worked wonders, we gave feedback and they got better. The speeches converted some fence sitters. There is probably a thread somewhere on this site about our speech contest last go around.

FSP-Rebel
10-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Since it's an IA stump speech, mention that Paul has been married to the same woman for 54 years and is a family guy (along w/ ure other pts) and can be trusted to do what he campaigns on doing (cutting spending significantly, lowering taxes, reform monetary policy and protecting <religious> freedom). Perhaps relate to his voting record to paint his integrity along with my 1st comment.

Eric21ND
10-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Hammer home that we need someone serious about cutting spending, that's what has lead our country down the tubes, we need someone serious about changing it. None of the other candidates are proposing serious cuts. Hammer home that Ron is the only republican that attracts more independent voters in a general election, all the other lose to Obama.

Eric21ND
10-26-2011, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9OhYOBabc

tobefree
11-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Just like they did in Jefferson County, the one County they won in 2008:

"One great thing we did that we recommend to all the campaigns. We held a speech competition a week before the caucus and we had nine contestants participate. We went out of our way to recruit young people to participate. The two winners were Samara Burnes who is 21 years old, and Monty Congden a 28 year old military veteran. Both of them attended the local public high school. They absolutely blew people away at the caucus, both of them had many people approach them to let them know that their speeches tipped them over to Ron Paul. The speech competition also served to completely energize all the supporters who attended. We blew it by not getting their speeches taped for youtube. We have asked them if they will let us video their speeches so hopefully we will have them up for you soon."

http://www.dailypaul.com/21737/what-was-done-to-win-jefferson-co-ia

There were other reasons they won in Jefferson: 1) good demographics 2) good organization and outreach

However I think the speeches did wonders!

SpicyTurkey
11-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Hammer home that we need someone serious about cutting spending, that's what has lead our country down the tubes, we need someone serious about changing it. None of the other candidates are proposing serious cuts. Hammer home that Ron is the only republican that attracts more independent voters in a general election, all the other lose to Obama.

This