PDA

View Full Version : Is the USA capable of electing Ron Paul?

Suzu
10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I'd like to pose a question to this forum. Forget about "the issues" for a few minutes and tell me what you really think of the following: In order to elect a president who has real integrity and a high moral standard, the nation as a whole must be first of all be able to recognize Ron Paul as such a man. But is that even within the range of possibility anymore?

I want to hear from other members here, whether my premise is correct, as well as your answer to the question, are we already too "dumbed down" overall to pull off a Ron Paul victory. Please explain your answer, not just a simple yes/no.

Thanks!

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 09:50 AM
John Adams answered that question.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
- John Adams

bluesc
10-26-2011, 09:54 AM
The people like a winner, and conservatives like a conservative, so not Romney.

Can we win Iowa? Yes. Can we win NH, S.C or Florida? No. Romney will. We can win many of the other early Caucuses before Super Tuesday.. Colorado, Nevada, Maine, Washington state, Louisiana, ect. So who does that leave? Romney, and a conservative who has proved he can win.

If Ron wins Iowa, and some other early Caucuses, he will win Texas.

Sure, it will be tough, but yes, they are capable of electing him. I have no doubt he will beat Obama.

brushfire
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
It has to be, or it will no longer be.

The good news is - hunger is a pretty good cure for apathy. Our establishment happens to own the market on creating hunger, so they're working on a cure - whether its their intention or not.

The question is similar to the one you would ask an "addict". How far is rock bottom? How much pain must be applied before people achieve their moment of clarity?
Lets hope we are near that bottom this election...

LibertyEagle
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
John Adams answered that question.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
- John Adams

I don't even know if that is enough at this point in time. Christians elected Bush Jr. I also was pretty depressed at those who claim to be Christians that were swooning at the feet of Rick kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out Santorum. Some Christians have lost their way just as badly as the rest of America.

LibertyEagle
10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
It has to be, or it will no longer be.

The good news is - hunger is a pretty good cure for apathy. Our establishment happens to own the market on creating hunger, so they're working on a cure - whether its their intention or not.

The question is similar to the one you would ask an "addict". How far is rock bottom? How much pain must be applied before people achieve their moment of clarity?
Lets hope we are near that bottom this election...

Well-said.

Kotin
10-26-2011, 10:03 AM
for me, I think its possible.. and that's in line with a couple of things I think are possible..

but I only hold this opinion because of the founding of this nation.. had America never been formed, had there never been a single precedence for liberty or real moving forward, I would hold no hope that we could change things at this point..

but the founding of America has always stuck out in my mind as to what is possible and so yes I think its possible, the circumstances are dire enough again.. but people being angry isnt enough.. that will put us in the territory of the french revolutions.. we need an educated people.. otherwise the answer is no, no matter the possibility.

Created4
10-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I'd like to pose a question to this forum. Forget about "the issues" for a few minutes and tell me what you really think of the following: In order to elect a president who has real integrity and a high moral standard, the nation as a whole must be first of all be able to recognize Ron Paul as such a man. But is that even within the range of possibility anymore?

I want to hear from other members here, whether my premise is correct, as well as your answer to the question, are we already too "dumbed down" overall to pull off a Ron Paul victory. Please explain your answer, not just a simple yes/no.

Thanks!

I think your premise is incorrect: "In order to elect a president who has real integrity and a high moral standard, the nation as a whole must be first of all be able to recognize Ron Paul as such a man."

The premise should be: "In order to elect a president who has real integrity and a high moral standard, the nation as a whole must value such character and desire it themselves."

I am not sure there are enough Americans like that to even want to elect such a person. I think America has produced several generations now of Americans who expect someone else to take care of them, and really do not value personal responsibility and liberty.

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't even know if that is enough at this point in time. Christians elected Bush Jr. I also was pretty depressed at those who claim to be Christians that were swooning at the feet of Rick kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out Santorum. Some Christians have lost their way just as badly as the rest of America.
Being a "Christian" doesn't equal being moral.

John F Kennedy III
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
If the media was completely non-biased Ron Paul would be polling 70% nationally.

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM
If the media was completely non-biased Ron Paul would be polling 70% nationally.
The media will never be non-biased.

bluesc
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM

If

He's right. If they reported accurately, this election would be over already.

John F Kennedy III
10-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Being a "Christian" doesn't equal being moral.

This. You dont have to be christian to be moral. And most christians arent moral.

John F Kennedy III
10-26-2011, 10:21 AM

True.

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
If

He's right. If they reported accurately, this election would be over already.
If you haven't noticed, the majority of the people like big government R or D style.

Suzu
10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I think your premise is incorrect: "In order to elect a president who has real integrity and a high moral standard, the nation as a whole must be first of all be able to recognize Ron Paul as such a man."

The premise should be: "In order to elect a president who has real integrity and a high moral standard, the nation as a whole must value such character and desire it themselves."

I am not sure there are enough Americans like that to even want to elect such a person. I think America has produced several generations now of Americans who expect someone else to take care of them, and really do not value personal responsibility and liberty.

I think the nation still has enough people who "value such character and desire it themselves". But are there enough who are still able to recognize Ron Paul as an embodiment of those ideals? I somehow doubt our collective discernment is strong enough.

frodus24
Every single "sheep" in this country need an enema. They must be cleansed or the country is doomed!

bluesc
If you haven't noticed, the majority of the people like big government R or D style.

If you haven't noticed, that appetite was caused by the media in the first place.

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 10:29 AM

If you haven't noticed, that appetite was caused by the media in the first place.

More than just the media caused this problem. Look at what's being taught in government schools.

bluesc
10-26-2011, 10:37 AM
More than just the media caused this problem. Look at what's being taught in government schools.

True, but the media is the one that controls perception. Cain's surge certainly had nothing to do with public schools.

We all saw the light, and we would never vote for anyone else. Many, when presented with the facts both on Ron and others, would be with us.

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 10:59 AM
True, but the media is the one that controls perception. Cain's surge certainly had nothing to do with public schools.

Who controls the media?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO8OnxEld3M

Created4
10-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I think the nation still has enough people "value such character and desire it themselves".

I don't agree, and I don't agree that "If the media was completely non-biased Ron Paul would be polling 70% nationally." People have to first value liberty and personal responsibility, and I think too many people expect government to take care of them. This is true of both liberals and conservatives, although probably a little less so with conservatives which is why Dr. Paul is in the GOP.

But don't take my comments to mean that I don't think Dr. Paul doesn't have a chance. I think he does. But he will never poll 70% - nobody ever will. To win early primaries he only has to poll around 25% to 30% - maybe even less with a crowded field. And once the field is narrowed, you just have to poll higher than the opposing candidate. Nobody has really ever won the Presidency with more than 50% of the support of the American people. First of all, not that many vote. Secondly, when it gets down to two main choices, a good percentage of the votes are protest votes to keep the other person out of office based on fear. Even Bush won the Presidency in his first term while losing the popular vote! So there is hope.

Todd
10-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Yes. I think the American people would welcome such person. If more American's were more involved in the political process I think it's possible.

It's the GOP who presents a candidate to the American voters....those few that vote in primaries and general elections and pay attentions. That is where my concern lies. American's tend to be ignorant and complacent in the political process

Travlyr
10-26-2011, 11:04 AM

We all saw the light, and we would never vote for anyone else. Many, when presented with the facts both on Ron and others, would be with us.

Yep. The media picks the president. If there is some way to expose the media bias, then we can win.

John F Kennedy III
10-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Its a giant life long brainwashing program. Media, tv shows, movies, school, etc.

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Yep. The media picks the president. If there is some way to expose the media bias, then we can win.
Who picks the media?

John F Kennedy III
10-26-2011, 11:17 AM

This. They may still be sheeple but

A) They are desperate for real improvement in their quality of life

B) Most are still intelligent enough to pick the only candidate that would deliver on A if they were presented with unbiased unfiltered facts of each candidate.

John F Kennedy III
10-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Who controls the media?

The globalists.

bluesc
10-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Who controls the media?

I know who controls the media. I know their agenda. Who here doesn't?

The original point was that if they did their jobs, the other candidates would be laughed off stage, and Ron would be a sure thing.

John F Kennedy III
10-26-2011, 11:29 AM
I know who controls the media. I know their agenda. Who here doesn't?

The original point was that if they did their jobs, the other candidates would be laughed off stage, and Ron would be a sure thing.

Yep.

Simple
10-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Its sad that the biggest obstacle to winning elections is name recognition. To me this means that most people don't even know who's running. I think if Ron Paul is nominated, he'd energize the base and be able to challenge Obama with some real hope and change.

Travlyr
10-26-2011, 11:34 AM
If the economy stays as it is today, then people will likely choose whoever the media tells them. However, if the economy tanks from here, then people will be looking for answers and a $1 Trillion budget cut will be enticing... especially since it was offered by an honest, consistent, principled, Christian man.

FrankRep
10-26-2011, 12:10 PM
However, if the economy tanks from here, then people will be looking for answers and a $1 Trillion budget cut will be enticing...
What happened in Post-WWI Germany? Who took control? See a pattern yet?

Travlyr
10-26-2011, 12:27 PM
What happened in Post-WWI Germany? Who took control? See a pattern yet?
The dollar was still fully redeemable at that time, and the Internet hadn't exposed their shenanigans. The truth machine makes the world a much different place.