PDA

View Full Version : Fred Thompson Rejects GOP's Pro-Life Platform Plank

LibertyEagle
11-06-2007, 12:38 AM
(CNSNews.com) - Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, now running for the Republican presidential nomination, said on Sunday he does not support the pro-life plank that has been included in the Republican National Platform since the presidency of Ronald Reagan.

Appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press," Thompson told host Tim Russert that he favors overturning Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision that took the issue of abortion away from the states by declaring abortion a constitutional right. Thompson said he wants to keep abortion legal at the state level.

"People ask me hypothetically, you know, OK, it goes back to the states," said Thompson. "Somebody comes up with a bill, and they say we're going to outlaw this, that, or the other. And my response was, I do not think it is a wise thing to criminalize young girls and perhaps their parents as aiders and abettors or perhaps their family physician. And that's what you're talking about. It's not a sense of the Senate. You're talking about potential criminal law."

For the rest of the article:
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200711/POL20071105c.html

Danny Molina
11-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Paul 1 Thompson 0

Primbs
11-06-2007, 01:12 AM
I think Fred will lose about ten points in the polls.

Bluedevil
11-06-2007, 01:43 AM
Atleast hes not playing politics, he gains a point in my book for that.

Corydoras
11-06-2007, 05:37 AM
I thought he was playing politics by redefining what "pro-life" means, by watering it down to approximately "I like babies."

MicroBalrog
11-06-2007, 05:41 AM
He wants it to go back to the states. That's just what Ron wants. Though of course he worded it so awfully that's not how the voters will read it.

trispear
11-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Of course Thompson is playing politics - he's just not that good at it.

I already see him as a has-been. He was the great hope when entering and has fizzled since. They talked most seriously about his candidacy when he wasn't in the race. Now, I think most people in the political sphere wrote him off.

I do as well. Another tired (literally) republican candidate spouting the same old shit (SOS) and who doesn't believe have of it (Federalism or Frederalism?)

Corydoras
11-06-2007, 06:55 AM
He says he wants it to go back to the states, yet he says he wants the states to keep abortion legal. That's at least as pro-abortion as Ron Paul's position is pro-life.