PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama State Department buys $70,000 worth of Obama books

sailingaway
10-25-2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/oct/25/state-department-buys-70000-worth-obama-memoir/

The State Department has bought more than $70,000 worth of books authored by President Obama, sending out copies as Christmas gratuities and stocking “key libraries” around the world with “Dreams from My Father” more than a decade after its release.

The U.S. Embassy in Egypt, for instance, spent $28,636 in August 2009 for copies of Mr. Obama’s best-selling 1995 memoir. Six weeks earlier, the embassy had placed another order for the same book for more than $9,000, federal purchasing records show.

About the same time, halfway around the world, the U.S. Embassy in South Korea had the same idea and spent more than $6,000 for copies of “Dreams from My Father.”

One month later, the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, spent more than $3,800 for hardcover copies of the Indonesian version of Mr. Obama’s “The Audacity of Hope,” records show.

A review of the expenditures in a federal database did not reveal any examples of State Department purchases of books by former Presidents George W. Bush or Bill Clinton. The purchases of Mr. Obama’s literary work mostly, but not always, took place in the months after Mr. Obama captured the White House.

Leslie Paige, a spokeswoman for Citizens Against Government Waste, a watchdog group, said if the federal government is looking to cut costs, eliminating purchases of Mr. Obama’s books is a good place to start.

more at link

flightlesskiwi
10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
oooh, this is just RIPE how the msm is spinning obombya's "charitable givings".

There’s no indication the White House knew about the purchases, which overall represent just a fraction of the nearly quarter-million dollars Mr. Obama donated to charities last year and his more than $1.7 million in overall income.

LBennett76
10-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Can you imagine the leader of Saudi Arabia being given a copy? He'd glance at it, then toss it aside laughing. "I see America has given me another puppet. Good. I was getting tired of playing with the old one."

mrrzstor
10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Kind of like ol Herman?

Cain Spent Campaign Cash to Buy Own Book
http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/10/18/herman_cain_fec_filing_shows_cain_paid_campaign_ca sh_to_t_h_e_ne.html

sailingaway
10-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Kind of like ol Herman?

Cain Spent Campaign Cash to Buy Own Book

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/10/18/herman_cain_fec_filing_shows_cain_paid_campaign_ca sh_to_t_h_e_ne.html

I have all kinds of problems with Can't-Make-Up-His-Mind Cain, but to be honest, I have less problem with someone spending volunteered campaign funds to puff himself up than spending our taxpayer money to do it.

undergroundrr
10-26-2011, 10:41 AM
That's almost twice as much as Ron Paul's presidential salary.

specsaregood
10-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I have all kinds of problems with Can't-Make-Up-His-Mind Cain, but to be honest, I have less problem with someone spending volunteered campaign funds to puff himself up than spending our taxpayer money to do it.

Even worse, buying it on the debt credit card and paying interest on it indefinitely. We are still broke and penniless ya know.

sailingaway
10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Even worse, buying it on the debt credit card and paying interest on it indefinitely. We are still broke and penniless ya know.

ouch.

specsaregood
10-26-2011, 11:08 AM
ouch.

Just think, your great great great grandkid will still be paying off those books.

gls
10-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Now other countries can learn what it is like to read an entire book that doesn't say anything.

Romulus
10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
What a sham.

flightlesskiwi
10-26-2011, 12:24 PM
in the past few months i've discovered that the state department's main purpose seems to be "working with" foreign countries in order to gain/keep US military (among other 3 letter agencies) access.

access meaning: bases, sovereign air space to route through, places to operate in, places to operate out of, sovereign waters to navigate in/through.

the state department's other purpose seems to be smoothing things over (aka "keep the doors open") when the military or others operatives do things to make locals upset (such as destroy property, rape citizens, etc).

in other words, the state department is (obviously-- but unconstitutionally) another arm of the war departme...err, defense department.

that the employees hand out Obomya's book as christmas gifts while my children foot the bill is just cherry.

HOLLYWOOD
10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
US State Department... "Not only do we launder American Taxpayer money to; terrorists, puppet dictators, huntas, rebels, apartheids, and the Military Industrial Complex... now we launder money to our own politicians!"

This US government is more corrupt than the 3rd world banana republics

mac_hine
10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Maybe a few of these books will find their way to a remote military outpost in Afghanistan and meet the same fate as BillO's tome. :D

Colbert Defends O'Reilly From Book-Burning Soldiers In Afghanistan (VIDEO) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/21/colbert-defends-oreilly-from-soldiers_n_1024466.html