PDA

View Full Version : YouTube/Google removes all functionality for News/Politics section

amy31416
10-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Only 16 videos (likely of their choosing) can be viewed.

All of those people that we've liked (or disliked) and made popular will likely be hit hard by this because their videos are now only available if you search specifically for them. Off the top of my head:

MoxNews <--- That one will hurt us quite a bit
RamZPaul
All the Ron Paul channels
That guy Bob who drinks and yells
Lee Doushen
Young Turks
Alex Jones
Schiff
G4Title (no loss, just sayin')
Various police abuse channels

Etc., etc.

I used to get some news (and amuse myself) by going to the News & Politics section, then sorting for "top rated" and I'd usually get a good mix of RP stuff, some liberal OWP/TYT stuff, conspiracy stuff and just some general goofiness. Now there's only what they decide you see:

http://www.youtube.com/news

I'm looking for alternatives, if anyone has any good suggestions. It also hurts the reasoning behind the "viral video" concept that we used a lot in 2008. Fortunately we're in a better position this time around.

bluesc
10-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Yep, my MTP video would have been front page of that section, especially after the official campaign linked to it. Judging by the type of videos that used to dominate it, there is no surprise they changed it.

amy31416
10-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Yep, my MTP video would have been front page of that section, especially after the official campaign linked to it. Judging by the type of videos that used to dominate it, there is no surprise they changed it.

Not surprising, but quite damaging to anyone who is, say, shunned by the MSM.

Sorry to hear about your video...it'd definitely been front page. When Digg changed their format, they went down--but since YouTube is now backed by Google, they won't have the same free market-type effect.

I just really, really feel especially bad for a guy like MoxNews--he ain't rich, but I think he got by on donations to his channel, which he did a lot of work to maintain. He caught videos for us on C-Span all the time, and quite a few people here donated to him. People here used these clips to create other grassroots campaign videos from compilations--then could go back to YouTube and have it go viral, it helped immensely with our name/issues recognition problems in 2008. And poof, it's gone.

There was almost always a Ron Paul video on the front page of the "top rated" videos--even after the '08 elections.

DamianTV
10-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Don't be Evil was Googles motto, which caught on. I say "Don't be Google".

AGRP
10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
The real question: If this move is for the better then will they do it to ALL genres?

bluesc
10-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Not surprising, but quite damaging to anyone who is, say, shunned by the MSM.

Sorry to hear about your video...it'd definitely been front page. When Digg changed their format, they went down--but since YouTube is now backed by Google, they won't have the same free market-type effect.

I just really, really feel especially bad for a guy like MoxNews--he ain't rich, but I think he got by on donations to his channel, which he did a lot of work to maintain. He caught videos for us on C-Span all the time, and quite a few people here donated to him. People here used these clips to create other grassroots campaign videos from compilations--then could go back to YouTube and have it go viral, it helped immensely with our name/issues recognition problems in 2008. And poof, it's gone.

There was almost always a Ron Paul video on the front page of the "top rated" videos--even after the '08 elections.

Not to make money (no ads), I just wanted it to reach the front page to reach thousands of more people. Seriously sucks for Moxy. He (literally) works all day recording the major networks, and has no ads. I have a $5 a month subscription to him for all his work. He's still going!

I support petitioning them to change it back, not that it's likely to change their minds.

amy31416
10-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Not to make money (no ads), I just wanted it to reach the front page to reach thousands of more people. Seriously sucks for Moxy. He (literally) works all day recording the major networks, and has no ads. I have a $5 a month subscription to him for all his work. He's still going!

I support petitioning them to change it back, not that it's likely to change their minds.

It didn't even occur to me to think that you did it for the money!

Not sure how to work around this--they're such a behemoth with name recognition, that the lesser-known sites can't even give them much competition, yet. I'm hoping that there are so many lesser-recognized YT personalities who can somehow band together and get something changed at YT, or start something new. Imagine the "DrinkingwithBob" guy working with the "TrutherGirls", "MoxNews" and a host of other wacky characters. :p

But we **need** that format for so many things we do here. Argh!