PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a revenue problem or a spending problem?

CaptUSA
10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
I mean, really? What's going on here? This is a popular line you hear conservatives spouting, but then Cain comes out with a new tax plan. Then Perry does a new tax plan.

It seems to me that this is an easy line for Ron Paul since he's the only one who has addressed the spending.

Congressman Paul, which tax plan do you like better? Perry's or Cain's?

"If we had a revenue problem, we could talk about different tax plans, but we have a spending problem! I want to shrink taxes for everybody, not come up with new schemes. But we need to dramatically fix the spending problem - trying to find new ways for the government to get revenue is avoiding the real issue!"

or... (even though he wouldn't do this)

"Mr. Cain talks about making sure you're working on the right problem, but he wants to mess with the revenue system. We all know the problem isn't revenue, it's spending!"

oyarde
10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Easiest question , ever . Spending .

Zippyjuan
10-25-2011, 12:18 PM
We (or rather the federal government on our behalf) do spend too much money. Unfortunately the hole we are in is so deep that if you want to balance the budget (and not reduce sacred cows like Social Security and Medicare which Ron Paul has also said he would not cut), you cannot do it without increasing revenues (tax collections). Even his proposed balanced budget plan assumes that government revenues (tax collections) increase by $700 billion over three years (you can verify this yourself here: http://c3244172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/RestoreAmericaPlan.pdf.

His revenue projections go from $2.4 trillion for 2013 to $3.1 trillion for 2016- about a 24% increase.

In the 2010 budget, 100% of "discressionary spending" including the Department of Defense, is basically the same total as the extimated deficit for the year or $1.4 trillion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_federal_budget

Bordillo
10-25-2011, 01:43 PM
We have both

We spend way to much

And tax way to much

CaptUSA
10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
My point is that the whole debate we seem to be having on the GOP side is about which scheme the government should use to get money from the citizenry. But every talking point they have when Obama brings up the tax code is "We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem."

Well, if that's the case then why is it only Dr. Paul that is not playing Obama's game of messing with the tax code to suit their needs?

Sematary
10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
both

PreDeadMan
10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
a government problem =p

Sematary
10-25-2011, 06:42 PM
a government problem =p

TRUE STORY