PDA

View Full Version : The Blaze slams Herman Cain over Creepy New Ad

FrankRep
10-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Have You Seen Herman Cain‘s New ’Smoking’ Ad? (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/have-you-seen-herman-cains-new-smoking-ad/)

The Blaze
October 25, 2011

The new ad from GOP front-runner Herman Cain has pundits scratching their heads, using it to tie the candidate to lobbying money from big tobacco, and in some cases, just laughing out loud.

Watch the ad in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qhm-22Q0PuM

That’s Mark Block, Cain’s chief of staff. While it may seem curious that the Cain campaign has decided to use a high-ranking official as a spokesperson, it is even more curious to some that the ad shows Block smoking a cigarette.

During the opening segment of MSNBC’s Morning Joe, the hosts were tripping over each other’s words to express their surprise, shock, outrage, etc. Mika stayed in her role as hall monitor of the show and confiscated the pack of cigarettes that New York Magazine writer John Heilemann brought out as a comedic prop.

Michelle Goldberg, Senior writer at Newsweek and the Daily Beast did not seem to be concerned about the smoking, but she did take issue with the smiling image of Herman Cain at the end of the ad:

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-shot-2011-10-25-at-7.27.39-AM.png

Over at The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/10/for-real-herman-cain-ad-shows-chief-of-staff-smoking-a-cigarette/247298/), Cain’s ad was the all Senior Editor Garance Franke-Ruta needed to tie both Block and Cain to Big Tobacco.

Before joining the Cain campaign, Block served as Wisconsin state director for free-market advocacy group Americans for Prosperity, which has opposed state smoking bans.

Cain also opposed smoking bans during his years working in Washington on behalf of a restaurant trade lobbying group.

I guess you can call it a “smokin’” ad.

SOURCE:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/have-you-seen-herman-cains-new-smoking-ad/

brushfire
10-25-2011, 06:59 AM
What a rocket scientist...

Philhelm
10-25-2011, 07:08 AM
What a rocket scientist...

Cain thinks it's Ron Paul supporters who are idiots...

sanssq
10-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Yeah. Herman Cain!

He'll unite America by raising taxes on 80% of the American people.

Go Herman! Unite us all in poverty.

Sola_Fide
10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
I thought Glen was a Cainiac?

brushfire
10-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Glenn has chased every spitball thrown. How he cant see these guys coming a mile away, is beyond me - given all his research talents and boxes of chalk.

Beck = Fraud

gls
10-25-2011, 07:55 AM
That must have been hard to secure the endorsement of his campaign manager.

VBRonPaulFan
10-25-2011, 07:55 AM
hahahahaha that video is just confusing. this is why i wasn't the least bit concerned when the news started pushing Cain as the front runner. he'll be his own demise. it is going to come down to romney or paul.

Lothario
10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
this ad is incredible!

SilentBull
10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Cain is just amazing. He's the biggest joke I've seen in a long time. And the fact that most Americans polled, like this guy? Holy shit, we are in trouble!

Cleaner44
10-25-2011, 08:57 AM

The music at the end is soooo Flashdance Maniac 1983 lol.

She's a maniac, maniac on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

COpatriot
10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Cain is just amazing. He's the biggest joke I've seen in a long time. And the fact that most Americans polled, like this guy? Holy shit, we are in trouble!
Product brought to you courtesy of the Frank Luntz/Faux Noise propaganda machine

wannaberocker
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Cain is a dumbass, but so are the people at "The Blaze" for very different reasons.

kahless
10-25-2011, 10:05 AM
I thought the Ad was both embarrassing and creepy. I was thinking maybe I am old and not the target, that perhaps the Ad was targeting young people and stereotypical internet campaign nerds that might think it is bad ass.

From my perspective I believe it came across to young people as trying too hard to do just that. It instead showed they are completely out of touch and full of themselves.

doctor jones
10-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Truly embarrassing ad for the Cain campaign. Are they purposefully sabotaging themselves?

hazek
10-25-2011, 10:18 AM
I actually laughed out loud. :rolleyes:

WarNoMore
10-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah. Herman Cain!

He'll unite America by raising taxes on 80% of the American people.

Go Herman! Unite us all in poverty.

Republicans love more taxes.

ctiger2
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow, it's amazing that he's being taken serious.

Romulus
10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
What the fuck was that???

Romulus
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM

If the polls are real, it proves how much of a joke the gop voting block is.

Zatch
10-25-2011, 11:04 AM
This ad may turn out to be a good thing for his campaign. It's going to go viral and it's so pathetic it's endearing.

silentshout
10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
What the heck was the point of that ad? I lol'd.

kill the banks
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
lighting up the air waves :toady:

Anti Federalist
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
He's catching on I'm tellin ya! LOLOLOL

wgadget
10-25-2011, 11:13 AM
BLOWING SMOKE comes to mind.

And Cain had stage IV LUNG CANCER, to boot.

Ah, n/m..He had COLON AND LIVER CANCER, not lung cancer. But still...

kahless
10-25-2011, 11:14 AM
If the polls are real, it proves how much of a joke the gop voting block is.

Nothing has changed. History keeps repeating itself and has been proven time and time again for decades. The same people that wanted Bush in 2000/2004 and McCain in 08 are the same ignoramuses that want Cain or Romney. If they got their way in 08 they would do it again in 2012. They bitch and moan that government is too big all the while completely failing to recognize the cause is due to the candidates THEY voted for.

oyarde
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
What the fuck was that??? My thoughts as well , and I was smoking when I saw it ...

Anti Federalist
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Nothing has changed. History keeps repeating itself and has been proven time and time again for decades. The same people that wanted Bush in 2000/2004 and McCain in 08 are the same ignoramuses that want Cain or Romney. If they got their way in 08 they would do it again in 2012. They bitch and moan that government is too big all the while completely failing to recognize the cause is due to the candidates THEY voted for.

Thus the No One But Paul push.

They won't ever like us, agree with us, or support us.

But we can make them scared of us.

oyarde
10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Thus the No One But Paul push.

They won't ever like us, agree with us, or support us.

But we can make them scared of us. Well put .

AlexG
10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
To be honest, this is a great ad because it dosen't take itself so seriously. I wouldn't approve it for a presidential candidate ad, but this thing will go viral and people will be drawn to Cain's sense of humor

Kludge
10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
No way that's real. Who could have edited that with a straight face?

You've got a chief of staff who's bombastic in body language to the point where it's unbelievable. There's a low background techno beat while this floppy old White fellow's talking, and when he finishes, this loud electronic music starts going off with empty talking points in the lyrics while the guy who the audience is supposed to be taking advice from starts smoking, with a weird-ass smile while he exhales. Cut to Cain with the electronic music still blaring, and you get Cain with this slow, utterly insincere smile.

Mike Gravel had more compelling ads, ffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

oyarde
10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
No way that's real. Who could have edited that with a straight face?

You've got a chief of staff who's bombastic in body language to the point where it's unbelievable. There's a low background techno beat while this floppy old White fellow's talking, and when he finishes, this loud electronic music starts going off with empty talking points in the lyrics while the guy who the audience is supposed to be taking advice from starts smoking, with a weird-ass smile while he exhales. Cut to Cain with the electronic music still blaring, and you get Cain with this slow, utterly insincere smile.

Mike Gravel had more compelling ads, ffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8 I could not keep a straight face , but would have had fun doing it ....

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Glenn has chased every spitball thrown. How he cant see these guys coming a mile away, is beyond me - given all his research talents and boxes of chalk.

Beck = Fraud

What has Beck been saying about Newt lately?

Truly embarrassing ad for the Cain campaign. Are they purposefully sabotaging themselves?

It's possible. Make way for Newt...

Feeding the Abscess
10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Somebody please isolate the frame with Cain in full smile mode. It's trollface.jpg in the flesh, and everybody deserves to see that plastered over EVERYTHING

WarNoMore
10-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Seems more fitting in a Pokemon cartoon than a presidential campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93R8DryOXZc

Bruno
10-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Hopefully, this Cain ad = "Dukakis in the tank"

FreedomProsperityPeace
10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Fox has been beating Cain up all day today over this ad.

bunklocoempire
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
What the fuck was that???

A coded tap out...

I noticed there was no "I'm ____ ____, and I approved this message." Has it even aired?

Edit:

Or is this some kind of 'Dicks Pick' bootleg designed to squeeze some more mileage out of this Cain-wreck?

Bunkloco

BlackTerrel
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Fox has been beating Cain up all day today over this ad.

Clearly they are afraid of him because he is anti-establishment.

FSP-Rebel
10-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Clearly they are afraid of him because he is anti-establishment.
wut

farrar
10-26-2011, 12:43 AM
The AD was payed for by "Friends of Hermain Cain" Could that have something to do with it being crap?

DamianTV
10-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Dont think about Pink Elephants.

Now, what are you thinking about? It isnt about portraying Cain as a good or a bad guy, it is more effective to just get you to think about him period. The people on the forum need to flat out FORGET THIS VIDEO.

Do NOT Talk about this Video.

Do NOT Link to this Video.

Do NOT Share this Video.

Do NOT Tell people about this Video.

Lets give Cain the same treatment that the MSM gives Ron Paul. Media Blackout. Any one who visits the forums even irregularly knows there is a Media Black Out on Ron Paul (seen our Avatars?) because if people dont hear anything about him, the less people talk about him. I think it is time we returned the favor.

willwash
10-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Dont think about Pink Elephants.

Now, what are you thinking about? It isnt about portraying Cain as a good or a bad guy, it is more effective to just get you to think about him period. The people on the forum need to flat out FORGET THIS VIDEO.

Do NOT Talk about this Video.

Do NOT Link to this Video.

Do NOT Share this Video.

Do NOT Tell people about this Video.

Lets give Cain the same treatment that the MSM gives Ron Paul. Media Blackout. Any one who visits the forums even irregularly knows there is a Media Black Out on Ron Paul (seen our Avatars?) because if people dont hear anything about him, the less people talk about him. I think it is time we returned the favor.

Are you implying that this commercial is some twistd work of genius designed just to get tons of views?

Dianne
10-26-2011, 03:45 AM

Somtimes I think Cain is an Obama plant, lmao. The man is totally off his rocker !!

Sola_Fide
10-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Are you implying that this commercial is some twistd work of genius designed just to get tons of views?

Maybe.

Kludge
10-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Bad ads are bad ads. Being recognized for failure doesn't help. McCain Girls and the fellow who ran for county treasurer nomination of his party by shouting he'll "hit the ground running" and misquoting one of his favorite quote are great examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaP9eiWuX3s <- Over 2m views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhV5RgcNJjE <- Over 370k views.

Both lost terribly.

A. Havnes
10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

Especially now that even the MSM is ripping apart this ad. Really, what is up with the smoking bit? It's pretty random, unless Cain intends to show that he's... well... I got nothin'...

Remember, kids, smoking isn't cool. You want proof? Watch this Herman Cain ad.

DamianTV
10-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Especially now that even the MSM is ripping apart this ad. Really, what is up with the smoking bit? It's pretty random, unless Cain intends to show that he's... well... I got nothin'...

Remember, kids, smoking isn't cool. You want proof? Watch this Herman Cain ad.

It was intentionally designed to be provocative and go viral. Do not support a Viral Outbreak of this video. The more people that DONT hear about this guy, the better off we ALL are.

Diurdi
10-27-2011, 02:00 AM
It was intentionally designed to be provocative and go viral. Do not support a Viral Outbreak of this video. The more people that DONT hear about this guy, the better off we ALL are. I dont buy that. If you have a look at the rest of his ads, they're pretty shit too.