PDA

View Full Version : AP Exclusive: NASA sting terrifies woman, 74

123tim
10-25-2011, 05:48 AM
A curious story....

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-exclusive-nasa-sting-terrifies-woman-74-080213944.html

OS ANGELES (AP) — The elaborate mission to recover a moon rock led NASA agents to one of the most down-to-earth places: a Denny's restaurant in Riverside County.

But at the end of the sting operation, agents were left holding a speck of lunar dust smaller than a grain of rice and a 74-year-old suspect who was terrified by armed officials.

Five months after NASA investigators and local agents swooped into the restaurant and hailed their operation as a cautionary tale for anyone trying to sell national treasure, no charges have been filed, NASA isn't talking and the case appears stalled.

The target, Joann Davis, a grandmother who says she was trying to raise money for her sick son, asserts the lunar material was rightfully hers, having been given to her space-engineer husband by Neil Armstrong in the 1970s. (Continued)

pacelli
10-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Apparently NASA still has too much of a budget. If they can organize a sting operation, they can be defunded some more. They have been chasing a needle in a haystack for so long that now they're terrorizing US citizens with the same behavior. They should probably be re-named TSA.

Seraphim
10-25-2011, 06:02 AM
"I have a real moral problem with what's happened here in California," Gutheinz said. "I've always taken the position that no one should own an Apollo-era moon rock. They belong to the people. But if we did such a poor job of safeguarding (lunar samples,) I cannot fault that person."

Nice contradiction captain fuck wad - if no one can own it, how can the people own it? Fuckwad captain doucher theif.

fisharmor
10-25-2011, 06:32 AM
"I have a real moral problem with what's happened here in California," Gutheinz said. "I've always taken the position that no one should own an Apollo-era moon rock. They belong to the people. But if we did such a poor job of safeguarding (lunar samples,) I cannot fault that person."

Nice contradiction captain fuck wad - if no one can own it, how can the people own it? Fuckwad captain doucher theif.

These people aren't heroes. Check out John Glenn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Glenn

Glenn lifted off for a second space flight on October 29, 1998, on Space Shuttle Discovery's STS-95, in order to study the effects of space flight on the elderly. At age 77, Glenn became the oldest person to go into space until that time. Glenn's participation in the nine-day mission was criticized by some in the space community as a junket for a politician.
Glenn vehemently opposed the sending of Dennis Tito, the world's first space tourist, to the International Space Station on the grounds that Tito's trip served no scientific purpose.

If you get to go up again, it's important scientific research... but if the guy who's funding the research goes up, that's suddenly not cool.

Ron Paul is right... the ideas we're advocating really are young ideas.

ZanZibar
10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Well if possession is 9/10ths of the law....

No but seriously. If NASA wanted to fund itself, they should just auction off these pieces of the moon since they are very valuable and in demand.

Or better yet, they could actually send more missions to the moon to gather more rocks to sell to meet demand. Oh wait a minute, that would almost be like a for-profit business. Imagine that! :rolleyes: