PDA

View Full Version : Federal Gov't plans to shut off all TV and radio nationwide on Nov 9th.

Deborah K
10-24-2011, 08:21 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-you-know-feds-will-temporarily-cut-off-all-tv-and-radio-broadcasts-on-nov-9/

If you have ever wondered about the government’s ability to control the civilian airwaves, you will have your answer on November 9th.

On that day, federal authorities are going to shut off all television and radio communications simultaneously at 2:00PM EST to complete the first ever test of the national Emergency Alert System (EAS).

This isn’t a wild conspiracy theory. The upcoming test is posted on the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau website.

Only the President has the authority to activate EAS at the national level, and he has delegated that authority to the Director of FEMA. The test will be conducted jointly by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through FEMA, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS).

In essence, the authority to seize control of all television and civilian communication has been asserted by the executive branch and handed to a government agency.

The EAS has been around since 1994. Its precursor, the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS), started back in 1963. Television and radio broadcasters, satellite radio and satellite television providers, cable television and wireline video providers are all involved in the system.

So this begs the question: is the first ever national EAS test really a big deal?

Probably not. At least, not yet.

But there are some troubling factors all coming together right now that could conceivably trigger a real usage of the EAS system in the not too distant future. A European financial collapse could bring down U.S. markets. What is now the “Occupy” movement could lead to widespread civil unrest. And there are ominous signs that radical groups such as Anonymous will attempt something major on November 5th- Guy Fawke’s day.

Now we know in the event of a major crisis, the American people will be told with one voice, at the same time, about an emergency.

All thats left to determine is who will have control of the EAS when that day comes, and what their message will be.

libertybrewcity
10-24-2011, 08:33 PM
can't wait.

CaptainAmerica
10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
The U.S. President has the ability to hack all cell phones with a national emergency alert system too.

dolphin
10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
I plan to keep my television off all day as a protest.

I refuse to participate.

Anti Federalist
10-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Just letting you know who the boss is.

pcosmar
10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Just letting you know who the boss is.

It's a demonstration of the "free market" and the "Free Press".

Miss Annie
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Right..... it's a demonstration. If it were a test they would do it at 4am so as not to interrupt general business.

Ronulus
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
In what situation would this even be practical? The only thinig that comes to mind is if the media is talking or covering something the government doesn't want the people to know about. What other reason can there be for a system like this?

If there was a national emergy all the news stations and tv channels would likely almost immediately start reporting on them. This whole system of government control is so tyrannical.

HOLLYWOOD
10-24-2011, 11:00 PM
http://www.synapseproductions.org/whatson/images/1984web.jpg

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/1984-movie-bb.jpg

kah13176
10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Ok, so they're doing it. Why would they choose 2PM and not 2AM?

Standing Like A Rock
10-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Why do you think?

donnay
10-24-2011, 11:29 PM

I think a better question is the date they chose to do it-- 11/9/11

2young2vote
10-24-2011, 11:35 PM
This is really bad. There is literally no reasonable point to have control over TV and Radio. Next is the internet. Unfortunately the rulers in America are smart enough to know that just shutting it all down at the same time would lead to revolt. People don't understand that the government uses incrementalism (baby steps) to get what they want without the people fighting back.

dolphin
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
This is really bad. There is literally no reasonable point to have control over TV and Radio. Next is the internet. Unfortunately the rulers in America are smart enough to know that just shutting it all down at the same time would lead to revolt. People don't understand that the government uses incrementalism (baby steps) to get what they want without the people fighting back.

In a totolitarian state it is mandatory.

Knightskye
10-24-2011, 11:47 PM
The headline is to scare you and entice you to click on the link.

This is an Emergency Alert System nationwide. Most people won't see it because they have jobs. Children will be upset that Dora/Spongebob/Barney is interrupted for a minute. There will be a Fox News Alert. Conservatives will momentarily care about federalism and enumerated rights. Bill O'Reilly will rant.

Then the next day, everything will go back to normal.

Deborah K
10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
The headline is to scare you and entice you to click on the link.

This is an Emergency Alert System nationwide. Most people won't see it because they have jobs. Children will be upset that Dora/Spongebob/Barney is interrupted for a minute. There will be a Fox News Alert. Conservatives will momentarily care about federalism and enumerated rights. Bill O'Reilly will rant.

Then the next day, everything will go back to normal.

No big deal then. The gov't is now going to do nationwide radio and TV emergency alert tests and the only reason is to entice us to click on a link? Whaaaa.....?

fisharmor
10-25-2011, 11:36 AM
It just occurred to me that if I didn't read about this on the internet, I probably wouldn't even know about it.
It's certainly not going to interrupt my info stream.
Maybe next the federal government would like to interfere with pennyfarthing bicycles, nixie tubes, and other useless crap from bygone eras.

oyarde
10-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Ok, so they're doing it. Why would they choose 2PM and not 2AM? I dunno

oyarde
10-25-2011, 11:40 AM
It just occurred to me that if I didn't read about this on the internet, I probably wouldn't even know about it.
It's certainly not going to interrupt my info stream.
Maybe next the federal government would like to interfere with pennyfarthing bicycles, nixie tubes, and other useless crap from bygone eras. What is a nixie tube ?

Zippyjuan
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
A bit misleading (but the source is "The Blaze" after all). TV and radio broadcasts will not be shut off but all stations will be participating in the test.
The government does not have the power to shut off all TV and radio stations anytime they want to.

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/49490/

At 1 p.m. CST on Wednesday, Nov. 9, radio stations, local television stations, wireline video services, and cable and satellite providers in the Kansas City metropolitan area will join other broadcasters across the country for a simultaneous test of the system. Although the test will be similar to the routine monthly tests most of us are familiar with, there are a few key differences:
• The nationwide test will last longer than normal — approximately three minutes.

• While the audio message will include the words “This is a test” and be the same for everyone, the video test may vary due to differing technologies. Viewers should be aware that the video messages may or may not include the words “This is a test” in the background image or scroll at the bottom of the screen.

• The test will be conducted through broadcast media only — it will not include NOAA weather radios, mobile devices or outdoor warning sirens.

Anti Federalist
10-25-2011, 12:27 PM
What is a nixie tube ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.rougier/clock4.jpg

JK/SEA
10-25-2011, 12:29 PM
If i leave my TV off that day, will a black SUV show up in front of my house?

Deborah K
10-25-2011, 12:30 PM
A bit misleading (but the source is "The Blaze" after all). TV and radio broadcasts will not be shut off but all stations will be participating in the test.
The government does not have the power to shut off all TV and radio stations anytime they want to.

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/49490/

They have the power to run emergency alerts across all TV and radio media but not to shut them down?

zach
10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
No cable, no worries

Deborah K
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
This is really a strange coincidence....I'm organizing a media black-out demonstration out in front of NBC studios on Nov.9th during the next debate: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?322568-I-just-organized-a-meetup-demonstration-in-front-of-NBC-studios-for-Nov-9-debate

hehe

Dr.3D
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
So if I'm talking on my Amateur (Ham) Radio when they "shut down" all radio, will I be in violation of the law? LOL

Deborah K
10-25-2011, 12:35 PM
So if I'm talking on my Amateur (Ham) Radio when they "shut down" all radio, will I be in violation of the law? LOL

I didn't know you were a HAM, doc! So am I.

Dr.3D
10-25-2011, 12:42 PM

LOL, and so is the :Collins:

Glad to hear that.... perhaps someday we will have the only way to communicate. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Deborah K
10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
LOL, and so is the :Collins:

Glad to hear that.... perhaps someday we will have the only way to communicate. I hope it doesn't come to that.

same here. I sent you my handle. Maybe we can talk repeaters someday. :)

bunklocoempire
10-25-2011, 01:38 PM

Ooo! Ooo! I passed my Tech exam this past Sat. and should have my call sign in a week or so, can I be in the club?:D

Utah Apocalypse is also a HAM if I recall correctly.

(should get my General in a few months when the locals again run the exams:) )

Back on topic, here's some other 11-9-11 scheduled happenings:

2011-11-09 APEC Finance Deputies MeetingNovember 9, 2011

APEC Leaders' Week Event

Hawaii Convention Center

Honolulu, HI

and-

2011-11-09 Asia-Pacific Business SymposiumPacific Basin Economic Council / East-West Center Conference

November 9 - 11, 2011

Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa

Honolulu, HI

Finding out about the 'drills' that were going on 'round 9-11 tend to make one jumpy about 'tests' and their timing.

Edit: And rightly so.

Bunkloco

DXDoug
10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
im already on satelite internet jeeze what if he breaks something and then everything else breaks

Deborah K
10-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Ooo! Ooo! I passed my Tech exam this past Sat. and should have my call sign in a week or so, can I be in the club?:D

Utah Apocalypse is also a HAM if I recall correctly.

(should get my General in a few months when the locals again run the exams:) )

Back on topic, here's some other 11-9-11 scheduled happenings:

and-

Finding out about the 'drills' that were going on 'round 9-11 tend to make one jumpy about 'tests' and their timing.

Edit: And rightly so.

Bunkloco

Just +rep'd ya and gave you my call sign. :D

Dr.3D
10-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Bunkloco

Congratulations on getting your ticket. :D

smartguy911
10-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I believe this came in handy during Japan earthquake where they were able to warn people in advance on their cell phones/tv etc and this saved millions of lives.

Romulus
10-25-2011, 03:47 PM
I believe this came in handy during Japan earthquake where they were able to warn people in advance on their cell phones/tv etc and this saved millions of lives.

Something tells me it will used a little differently here. Just a hunch.

bunklocoempire
10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Congratulations on getting your ticket. :D

Thank you much!:)

Bunkloco

tropicangela
11-02-2011, 08:02 AM
//

unklejman
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I'll be sure to watch Netflix and listen to Pandora at the same time when it happens.