PDA

View Full Version : Slashdot on the Student Loans issue

wstrucke
10-24-2011, 09:19 AM
I was more than surprised to see voices of reason shining through this morning:

http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/10/24/1316228/ron-paul-wants-to-end-the-federal-student-loan-program

gregb
10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Yes, I have long advocated for an increased focus on the Slashdot community. When you see 800 reasonable comments in about an hour ... when "slashdotted" is a verb almost as well known as "googled" .... lots of people, and lots of intelligent people to assist in honing of arguments .... etc.

gls
10-24-2011, 09:28 AM
The comments look horrible to me. Even the decent ones seem to be missing the point.

raystone
10-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Who has a chart showing correlation between growing student loan amounts with tuition cost increases ?

sailingaway
10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
This perpetuates the myth that Ron is ending student loans. IMHO we don't need right now to get out how badly student loans distort the market causing tuition to skyrocket, but the FACT that Ron Paul is NOT ending student loans. Our arguments that 'this is great' when Ron's 3 year plan to balance the budget CLEARLY finances student loans and grants is feeding the misinformation.

People who vote for Ron for President are voting for someone who understands the economic pitfalls, sure. That is great because he will be able to adapt as unforseen circumstances arise.

But a presidential term is only 4 years and Ron Paul's plan to balance the budget and end inflation will take three of those four years -- and passing it and getting it going will take the first year.

It is much easier to sell what Ron actually plans to do as president than 'first principles' of libertarian thought. And the other sides are using first principles to try to scare off one of Ron's most enthusiastic support groups -- students. They can't adapt to lack of student loans as the economy currently is, and need to know he is NOT ending them. The meme that Ron is ending them is intellectually dishonest in the extreme, since his 3 year plan clearly provides for them, as well as for senior entitlements, which he views as a contract issue.

What seniors and students need to know is that Ron Paul is the only one who will make the necessary cuts so we can continue to PAY FOR student loans and senior entitlements.

heavenlyboy34
10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Most of the comments on that piece are grossly ignorant.

PastaRocket848
10-24-2011, 09:48 AM
what the hell is slashdot?

gls
10-24-2011, 09:56 AM

A geek/technology blog that has been around forever (like 15 years).

chris41336
10-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Who has a chart showing correlation between growing student loan amounts with tuition cost increases ?

I'm in class typing this on my phone or I would get the link myself, but if you go to my blog (lulzingon.blogspot.com) and click the second hyperlink in the newest article, there is a GREAT analysis with charts and everything.

specsaregood
10-24-2011, 10:11 AM
A geek/technology blog that has been around forever (like 15 years).
Yeah it used to be pretty cool too; back when there was more signal and less noise. sub 2000 UID here!

The Free Hornet
10-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm in class typing this on my phone or I would get the link myself, but if you go to my blog (lulzingon.blogspot.com) and click the second hyperlink in the newest article, there is a GREAT analysis with charts and everything.

Here is that link - it is a good start:

http://financemymoney.com/student-loan-market-college-loans-for-profit-education-pell-grants-debt-educational-outcomes-bubble-in-higher-education/

chris41336
10-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Here is that link - it is a good start:

http://financemymoney.com/student-loan-market-college-loans-for-profit-education-pell-grants-debt-educational-outcomes-bubble-in-higher-education/

Thanks! Yeah I thought it was pretty good.

freejack
10-24-2011, 10:29 AM
The comments really aren't that bad. Ron is seriously making people think. Here's one:

"Extremely interesting...
I'm no republican, and at first I was thinking "here we go again - another GOPer trying to take money away from the little guy" - but I think he has a valid point.

People would only be willing to spend a hundred-grand on education if there was someone standing right there willing to easily loan them a hundred-grand to do so. I've always thought there was some odd market force that was allowing the cost of education rise in such a bizarre way - this is probably it.

If if were really up the the "free market" - i.e. there were no "special" loans, scholarships, or free-rides, people would be willing (and able) to spend a LOT less. Schools would have to come *WAY* down in price to get people in. It would be a very different landscape."

dannno
10-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Wow... Edit: Dammit freejack you beat me by less than a minute!!

Extremely interesting...

I'm no republican, and at first I was thinking "here we go again - another GOPer trying to take money away from the little guy" - but I think he has a valid point.

People would only be willing to spend a hundred-grand on education if there was someone standing right there willing to easily loan them a hundred-grand to do so. I've always thought there was some odd market force that was allowing the cost of education rise in such a bizarre way - this is probably it.

If if were really up the the "free market" - i.e. there were no "special" loans, scholarships, or free-rides, people would be willing (and able) to spend a LOT less. Schools would have to come *WAY* down in price to get people in. It would be a very different landscape.

sailingaway
10-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Here's the campaign's official response "Ron Paul is not 'ending student loans'" http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2011/10/24/ron-paul-is-not-ending-student-loans/

freejack
10-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Wow... Edit: Dammit freejack you beat me by less than a minute!!

hehe great minds think alike?

matt_
10-24-2011, 10:36 AM
It is good to see Ron Paul being discussed by different audiences. Hopefully some slashdot people will open their minds. The slashdot posters generally stink, though. I quit reading and participating on slashdot years ago. They aren't very welcoming and if you post a comment or question that reveals that you don't know the technical junk very well, expect to be ridiculed and attacked. I'm not planning on participating in the Ron Paul discussion there, because the slashdot user base sucks.

kpitcher
10-24-2011, 01:50 PM
slashdot is generally libertarian leaning. Having read it for years I can say that typically users are against warrantless wiretaps, against obtrusive rules, against big government overall, dislike the TSA, like wikileaks, you know.. liberty lovers. Lots of Ron Paul supports in the crowd. I wouldn't say the user base sucks at all but like any forum if you don't fit the user base it just might not be for you.

He's had a few stories tagged to him recently with his /. tag
http://politics.slashdot.org/tag/ronpaul
(http://politics.slashdot.org/tag/ronpaul)

PastaRocket848
10-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I've been a geek for a long time (I first began programming on a DEC Starion), and this is the first time I've heard of a slash dot. Maybe I'm out of the loop nowadays. I don't spen much time browsing I guess.

Paul Fan
10-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Sailingaway, thanks for posting the link to the campaign's student loan response. I will spread it on the web. I hope YAL can spread it to college campuses.

ZanZibar
10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
/. was my addiction before RPF

slamhead
10-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Slashdot.org - News for nerds, stuff that matters.

kpitcher
10-29-2011, 03:51 AM
Just saw a /. story of the TSA expanded non-airport searches. Lots and lots of negatives about the TSA and liberty, lots of positives for Ron Paul.
an example of comments moderated to 4 informative (comments can be moderated from 1 -5, higher the better, with a descriptive tag) - http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2498968&cid=37877094