PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry Perry: 'I'll Show You Coyotes' That'll Come And 'Eat Your Little Puppy'

Agorism
10-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Perry is still in meltdown mode after the base abandoned him over immigration so now he's just pandering.

Perry: 'I'll Show You Coyotes' That'll Come And 'Eat Your Little Puppy'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/23/rick-perry-coyote-shooting_n_1027536.html

Rick Perry has a message for skeptics: His story of shooting a coyote during a morning jog is no tall tale.

In an interview with Parade Magazine, the presidential contender was asked whether he really killed the animal, as he claimed last year. Governor Perry responded, "Yes, ma'am. One shot right in the shoulder." When asked whether the coyote had died, Perry said, "Yeah, right there." And when further questioned about the implausibility of the incident, Perry said that while some have doubted that a coyote would be so aggressive," "I'll show you coyotes that will come and get in your backyard and eat your little puppy."

Perry's tale dates to April, 2010, when Perry told an AP reporter that he had taken decisive action when a coyote threatened his Labrador retriever during a February run. "Either me or the dog are in imminent danger," Perry said. "I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go."

Perry said he used a .380 Ruger pistol with hollow-point bullets. He was carrying the weapon while running "because he is afraid of snakes," according to the AP.

Perry's account immediately piqued media interest, and when the governor was close to joining the presidential race, The New York Times' Gail Collins called him "The Coyote Candidate."

But questions soon emerged about his story. Last month, The Daily Beast's Carol Flake Chapman published a lengthy article questioning many aspects of the narrative, including its legality. She concludes:

Upon a closer look, Perry's description of the coyote incident seems to offer a little wiggle room with regard to “truthiness.” He doesn't actually state flatly that he killed the coyote, nor does he say where the coyote was wounded, an odd omission for a hunting tale, but he does say that it “was not in a lot of pain” and that it “pretty much went down at that particular juncture.” Did it go down or not? He’s also careful to include the detail that “either me or my dog are in imminent danger,” which made it legal for him to shoot an animal in self defense within the city limits. The wording reminds me of the stilted language of police reports I’ve read over the years describing a controversial incident in which questionable force or tactics were used.

McDermit
10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
He carries a 380 with a laser sight... loaded with hollow points... because he's afraid of snakes??? Lol, that may be the dumbest thing he's said yet.

LibertyEagle
10-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Except that the varmint dispatching happened in an ultra-posh suburb of Austin, where mansions start at near $1 million, and the gun in question is not exactly a standard at the OK Corral.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/09/10/rick-perry-says-he-shot-a-coyote-while-jogging-but-where-are-witnesses.html

LOL. I live in Austin. I just do not believe Perry's story for one minute.

Cutlerzzz
10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
A lone coyote attacked a lab and a full grown man? Or am I misreading something?

McDermit
10-24-2011, 02:01 AM
A lone coyote attacked a lab and a full grown man? Or am I misreading something? that's his story and he's sticking to it!

I want to see this guy try to shoot a rattlesnake with a hollowpoint from 15 ft... out in front of someone's mansion.

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2011, 03:44 PM
A lone coyote attacked a lab and a full grown man? Or am I misreading something?

Purely rumor, but some say that a lone coyote will attempt to lure domestic dogs into an ambush.

FreeTraveler
10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Lotsa people with no knowledge of guns or coyotes in this thread.

Cutlerzzz
10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Purely rumor, but some say that a lone coyote will attempt to lure domestic dogs into an ambush.Never heard that before, interesting. That might explain why a 25 pound animal would threaten a 75 pound dog and a 200 pound man.

FreeTraveler
10-25-2011, 06:45 PM
He carries a 380 with a laser sight... loaded with hollow points... because he's afraid of snakes??? Lol, that may be the dumbest thing he's said yet.
You always carry a weapon that can deal with the biggest threat you're likely to encounter, not the smallest. A bb gun or a .22 with snakeshot is worthless against larger predators, four-legged or two-legged.

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Never heard that before, interesting. That might explain why a 25 pound animal would threaten a 75 pound dog and a 200 pound man.

Well, the story says that the dog will run off to chase the single coyote, and will be attacked by a whole pack. Never heard of them threatening an adult though, or coming very close.

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Gun won't help with a rattlesnake. Either you accidentally step on it and it bites you (where a gun won't help), or you just step around it and you both go your merry way (or you stop and take pics with the cell phone). ;)

sratiug
10-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Gun won't help with a rattlesnake. Either you accidentally step on it and it bites you (where a gun won't help), or you just step around it and you both go your merry way (or you stop and take pics with the cell phone). ;)

Maybe the gun was to blow a whole in his leg to stop the venom after he steps on the snake and gets bit.

TheTexan
10-25-2011, 08:04 PM

A 380 is kinda useless without a laser, outside of point blank range. LCP has very shitty sights. But not even a laser is gonna let you aim and shoot a snake before it bites you lol.

FreeTraveler
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
No, but if you see the snake before you step on it, it will let you move off, protect yourself and your dog, and make sure the next person along doesn't step on the snake.

I hate Perry too, but this thread is just full of [redacted to be nice.]

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2011, 08:19 PM
No, but if you see the snake before you step on it, it will let you move off, protect yourself and your dog, and make sure the next person along doesn't step on the snake.

One time I was watching a pretty large rattler moving along a well worn path and a woman jogger was approaching from the other direction (with headphones on). I tried to tell her to watch out, but she ignored the verbal warning. She actually tried to move over to the side of the path where the rattler was, and would have stepped right onto it, but I quickly physically blocked her path. She just went around me without slowing or acknowledging at all. At least the snake probably appreciated it. I guess I'm lucky the Police didn't show up and accuse me of being some kind of trail stalker. :eek:

FreeTraveler
10-25-2011, 08:24 PM
One time I was watching a pretty large rattler moving along a well worn path and a woman jogger was approaching from the other direction (with headphones on). I tried to tell her to watch out, but she ignored the verbal warning. She actually tried to move over to the side of the path where the rattler was, and would have stepped right onto it, but I quickly physically blocked her path. She just went around me without slowing or acknowledging at all. At least the snake probably appreciated it. I guess I'm lucky the Police didn't show up and accuse me of being some kind of trail stalker. :eek:
If you'd pulled out a .380 with a laser sight, she'd have stopped in a hurry as soon as she saw it in your hand. :D

Justinjj1
10-25-2011, 08:37 PM
The story is complete bullshit. I'm from Texas and I've hunted coyotes for past 15 years. No way in hell is a coyote going to attack you or your dog while you are running. They will run away at the slightest sight or sound of a human, and they are rarely seen in the daytime except the very early morning or very late at twilight.

Also, who runs with a loaded pistol? Any poisonous snake we have in Texas is not going to come chasing after you, that is just asinine.

The whole story was probably crafted by Perry's PR team to try to make him look like some kind of good old boy, Texas hardass. He's just trying to take a page from GW Bush and his phony rolled up sleeves chainsawing, brushcutting photo ops. It's all a lie, just like his fake accent.

Invi
10-25-2011, 08:50 PM
A coyote would have to be starving or rabid to even think about going after a grown man and a dog. :-/
They're not exactly huge or made for hunting thing much larger than rabbits.

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2011, 09:25 PM
If you'd pulled out a .380 with a laser sight, she'd have stopped in a hurry as soon as she saw it in your hand. :D

Then there would be no doubt that a SWAT team would show up...

McDermit
10-25-2011, 09:59 PM

I hate Perry too, but this thread is just full of [redacted to be nice.]

In every version of this story I've read, Perry never once claimed to carry for any purpose other than shooting snakes.

I don't buy any part of the story regardless, so it's a moot point.

TheTexan
10-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Also, who runs with a loaded pistol?

Who runs with an unloaded pistol?

(I in fact do carry a 380 when I run)