PDA

View Full Version : Now media are peddling their lie that Ron wants to end student loans to students at Uof I

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 07:01 PM
and are asking their responses as if it were true. Push poll much?

http://www.kgan.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/kgan_vid_8413.shtml

He said he'd move them to a different department.

Crystallas
10-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I hope he ends government backed student loans. It's making education quality low, and prices artificially high.

Grants will be moved to a different department.

10-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Ok, they are going too far with this now. This is beyond spin, this is outright lies.

They claim the restore america plan ends student loans. That's just not true.

We need to call them in the morning and demand a retraction.

itsnobody
10-23-2011, 07:06 PM
I thought he said it's not on his list right now....but I personally don't support government student loans in the long run anyway

bluesc
10-23-2011, 07:07 PM
So this is the giant hit piece to kill his momentum and hurt him with his major support group.

Motherfuckers. Our people are too smart to just be influenced by a bullshit headline.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 07:08 PM
The good news is that students know how to use the internet and find out the truth.

TheTexan
10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Honest journalism isn't near as profitable as entertainment news. Free market at work :(

itsnobody
10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
The exact quote regarding Federal student loans is "Eventually but my program doesn't do it there's a transition in this" (http://ronpaulflix.com/2011/10/ron-paul-on-meet-the-press-oct-23-2011/ @ 2:47)

So Ron Paul is not cutting Federal student loans in his trillion dollar budget cut plan it's just a lie

I can't believe they intentionally lied in the article claiming "Sunday Rep. Ron Paul unveiled a plan that would put federal student loans on the chopping block."

It's truthfully just a complete lie!

bluesc
10-23-2011, 07:13 PM
The good news is that students know how to use the internet and find out the truth.

Do the parents? Grandparents? We can't win without them.

10-23-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.kgan.com/sections/station/#feedback_form

Demand they retract it. Include links to the meet the press interview

Iowa people should call in. Don't let them get this on the air.

FSP-Rebel
10-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Likely, the average person will think X-ing out Dept of Ed = ending student loans along with it. Of course, the journOlists black out the details if possible.

walt
10-23-2011, 07:19 PM
I hope he ends government backed student loans. It's making education quality low, and prices artificially high.

+1

itsnobody
10-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Likely, the average person will think X-ing out Dept of Ed = ending student loans along with it. Of course, the journOlists black out the details if possible.

Some people even think no Dept. of Education = no public schools.

What a joke.

It's a shame that so many people are so uneducated and gullible.

10-23-2011, 07:30 PM
This is what I sent them.

The recent story you ran about Ron Paul's restore America economic plan ending student loans here-

is incorrect. The economic plan released on Ron Paul's official campaign website here-

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/ron-paul-plan-to-restore-america/

When asked about about ending student loans on meet the press on 10/23, Ron Paul replied. "Eventually but my program doesn't do it there's a transition in this"

The video of the interview is here-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/vp/45005727#VpFlash

Thank you for your attention to this.

Okie RP fan
10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Some of you may have seen the front page status on Fox News about this story.

It's pure spin. What's funny is that most of the comments on the story are actually in support of it.

No doubt it was intended to hit his main audience, though.

amy31416
10-23-2011, 07:42 PM
This is what I sent them.

The recent story you ran about Ron Paul's restore America economic plan ending student loans here-

is incorrect. The economic plan released on Ron Paul's official campaign website here-

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/ron-paul-plan-to-restore-america/

When asked about about ending student loans on meet the press on 10/23, Ron Paul replied. "Eventually but my program doesn't do it there's a transition in this"

The video of the interview is here-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/vp/45005727#VpFlash

Thank you for your attention to this.

Very similar to what I sent.

heavenlyboy34
10-23-2011, 08:05 PM

+a zillion. Another thing keeping the prices artificially high is government restrictions against intelligence/competence testing. If that was legal, employers wouldn't require a degree in many cases.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
It is everywhere on the internet as well. They pushed the meme. We have to put out the truth where we can.

Jandrsn21
10-23-2011, 08:31 PM
College Students that support Ron Paul aren't going anywhere! Relax word of mouth on campuses by our Youth for Ron Paul supporters will stop this tactic dead in its tracks!

edit - This may actually benefit us! Students who may not have been aware of Ron Paul or his policies are now being forced to look at him. Many will be shocked by this statement and hopefully we have damage control on campuses to point out the lies. This will then give us a chance to start a dialogue with the people on campuses.

Also before I graduated college, nearly everyone I talked complained about tuition costs increasing for some new building, sports program, or unneeded renovations. They knew that they were taking out loans to pay for a new "Campus Center" complete with Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, and Restaurants.

cdc482
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.kgan.com/sections/station/#feedback_form

Paul Fan
10-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Where does it say in the plan that student loans would be moved to another department? Which department would they be moved to?

I'd like a good citation I could point people to.

The campaign really needs to clarify this asap.

devil21
10-24-2011, 06:09 AM
Im wondering how many students would give their degree back if their loans were wiped out in exchange. Plenty feel like their degrees are a waste and the amount of debt they now carry over it isn't worth it. Im not sure this is all that damaging really.

ShaneEnochs
10-24-2011, 09:55 AM
I wrote a nice long letter demanding a retraction/rewrite.

sailingaway
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Where does it say in the plan that student loans would be moved to another department? Which department would they be moved to?

I'd like a good citation I could point people to.

The campaign really needs to clarify this asap.

cite the Meet the Press actual interview, and even half of the bad spin articles bury in paragraph four that despite the article title (Ron Paul would end student loans is typically what they say) that 'these loans are not part of the suggested cuts'. Politico has that in their article as one example. But the MTP interview is where they should go. NOT just the tiny clip on how student loans are bad policy, theoretically. Also point to his plan being a 3 year plan and the Presidency being a 4 year term.

Paul Fan
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Ok, thanks.

It would be good to have the campaign put out something in writing though. Maybe a one-page flyer that could be handed out to students.

Paul Fan
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
It just would be better if the campaign could say where the loans would go -who will be administering them etc. Also, people don't always want to listen through a lengthy video or read a possibly inaccurate article. The information should be posted at the campaign site.

sailingaway
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Ok, thanks.

It would be good to have the campaign put out something in writing though. Maybe a one-page flyer that could be handed out to students.

I agree. Or YAL or Students for Ron Paul could put it out

on ALL bulletin boards at every college.

bluesc
10-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Judging by the comments on the Fox News site, this is seen as positive to them. If we manage to keep our young supporters, this may give us yet another boost. Where are these damn national polls? Ron has had an awesome week. Everyone else? Not so much. They have all been beaten up pretty bad.

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I just called their station to file a complaint for presenting misinformation in the media.

Talked to some guy name Rod.

Me: "Hello, my name is <name> and i'd like to file a complaint about a webpage article you've published."

Rod: "Okay sir. Go ahead."

Me: "As a political activist and Ron Paul supporter, I find your recent article to be a blatant lie or spreading of misinformation. As it pushes the idea that Ron would end Federal Student Loans upon entering the seat of the Presidency, when he clarified on the Meet The Press interview, that this was not part of his current plans. He stated that he'd like to see them removed *following* the lowered cost to go to school and a reduced cost of living.

Rod: "I'm sorry sir (passionate), but this news agency does not present misinformation and we based this article on what was said at the source, and I will not comment further."

Me: "I understand dirty journalism too my friend."

Rod: ... click

bluesc
10-24-2011, 10:30 AM
^^ Dude, it came from the AP, they didn't write it, they just chose the headline. Not much the guy on the phone could do about that..

Philosophy_of_Politics
10-24-2011, 10:34 AM
^^ Dude, it came from the AP, they didn't write it, they just chose the headline. Not much the guy on the phone could do about that..

They know what type of reaction people get from those headlines. The title leaves a huge impression in the minds of readers, ask any academic writing professor.

It doesn't matter who defends it, as a news source, and as a company. They must be held accountable.

seapilot
10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Judging by the comments on the Fox News site, this is seen as positive to them. If we manage to keep our young supporters, this may give us yet another boost. Where are these damn national polls? Ron has had an awesome week. Everyone else? Not so much. They have all been beaten up pretty bad.

Dr.Paul places first or second in a national poll think the propaganda media would be fair about it? Would be interesting to see them dismiss national polls do not mean anything.

sailingaway
10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Here is the official campaign response:
There are many headlines out there now stemming from his Meet the Press interview yesterday claiming that Ron Paul wants to end student loans. Well no, in fact, though he abolishes the Department of Education along with four other federal departments, the student loan part is taken out and handled elsewhere.

Everyone recognizes we have major problems with Social Security and Medicare, and yet when anyone attempts to address these problems, they are immediately accused of “ending,” “slashing” or “getting rid of” them. Ron Paul is not suggesting this for anyone currently reliant on these programs or for those who will be in the near future. In fact, Paul’s opt-out for Social Security in his budget plan is age 25—not exactly imminent doom for the program or those on it.

The same is true of student loans.

more here: http://www.ronpaul2012.com/2011/10/24/ron-paul-is-not-ending-student-loans/

Feeding the Abscess
10-24-2011, 10:51 AM
This is why I will never understand why he didn't produce a balanced budget in year one. He's going to get hacked and his positions manipulated anyway; what's another 10% in budget cuts in a year?

10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
They won't change the story. This is the response I got. They don't seem to understand that although the dept of ed goes away, the loans are shifted elsewhere for now. Maybe if somebody can get them to look at the official campaign release on the subject it might help.

Thanks for contacting us.
We stand by the story and find it in no way "libelous".
If you look at Rep. Paul's published budget proposals you find he eliminates the Department of Education (along with several other departments) starting with the 2013-14 Fiscal Year.

Thanks for your feedback,
Rod Jackson
Managing Editor
KGAN/KFXA

pen_thief
10-24-2011, 02:51 PM
They won't change the story. This is the response I got. They don't seem to understand that although the dept of ed goes away, the loans are shifted elsewhere for now. Maybe if somebody can get them to look at the official campaign release on the subject it might help.

UGH! I wrote in too, and I bet I'll get the exact same response. :mad: