PDA

View Full Version : Politico pretending: "Ron Paul: End U.S. student loans"

RonPaulFanInGA
10-23-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66645.html

cero
10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
grasping at straws now, that interview was fucking awesome!

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for posting. I was able to get in with the first comment and post a link to the interview. For those who read comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gfth22IuyXU

IterTemporis
10-23-2011, 10:54 AM
That title is misleading.. Only if you read the article, will you understand what it means.

Brian4Liberty
10-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Ron is 100% right.

WASHINGTON — Republican presidential contender Ron Paul said Sunday he wants to end federal student loans, calling it a failed program that has put students $1 trillion in debt when there are no jobs and when the quality of education has deteriorated.
Paul blamed government intervention in the economy for rising tuition.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66645.html#ixzz1bcnVjDJS

neverseen
10-23-2011, 10:58 AM
should we break that link?

bluesc
10-23-2011, 10:58 AM
AP article. Let's see how other news sites title it. The AP title was "Paul wants to phase out federal student loans"

Good job politico.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 11:01 AM
I saw it as Ron Paul wants to end student loans on Newser and commented there, as well.

lucent
10-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I would break the link. The title is misleading.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 11:05 AM

It's ap it will be everywhere. That being the case, I'd rather people went to this version which at least does have SOME of the nuance about government raising tuition prices and that the plan does not, in fact, cut student loans. Other shortened versions out there skip those parts. It also now has a link to the actual interview in comment #1 :p

bluesc
This is the title from the WaPo:

Calling the program a ‘failure,’ Paul says he would eventually eliminate federal student loans
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/calling-the-program-a-failure-paul-says-he-would-eventually-eliminate-federal-student-loans/2011/10/23/gIQAn3rX9L_story.html)

RonPaulFanInGA

Okay, done. There is not much point though when the link goes to a website as popular as Politico, and also when another poster (Brian4Liberty) has the link up too.

How many times has this thread's title changed now?

10-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Meh, leave the link up. If people don't understand the fallacy of $100,000 in government student loan debt for a degree that doesn't get a job, they will never get Ron.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Meh, leave the link up. If people don't understand the fallacy of $100,000 in government student loan debt for a degree that doesn't get a job, they will never get Ron.

They don't have to 'get' him, they only have to vote for him, and those with kids nearing college age, and under THESE circumstances unable to get an education without a loan might write him off as someone they can't afford. But I'm ok with the link being live. Just not broadcasting a misleading title further.

seapilot
10-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Smear and misrepresent media. Honest Truthful journalism is an endangered species.

lucent
10-23-2011, 11:12 AM
The funny thing is they actually think this puts him at odds with his student supporters. They must think his supporters are idiots or something.

neverseen
10-23-2011, 11:13 AM
student loans should be ended. Paul is correct as usual. I don't get why the freak out... i figured that one out back when i didn't get one and chose not to go to college right after high school. figured i'd work, save, and if i ended up wanting/needing it later i could afford to pay for it in cash. was an easy choice for me at 18yo. And at 27... i know for a fact the money i make less my debts is far, far more than any of my friends that went 6figures deep :X

Game of life... right?

specsaregood
10-23-2011, 11:13 AM

I know why the AP ran with it; but I get the impression this might backfire on them. Just think of all those with student loan debts and no job that are regretting getting those non-dischargeable debts into slavery. They are only non-dischargeable because they are govt loans. A LOT of them are probably gonna read this and say, "he's right".

10-23-2011, 11:16 AM
They don't have to 'get' him, they only have to vote for him, and those with kids nearing college age, and under THESE circumstances unable to get an education without a loan might write him off as someone they can't afford. But I'm ok with the link being live. Just not broadcasting a misleading title further.

I see your point but we shouldn't mislead people to vote for Ron. Then we are no better than the others. Ron doesn't support these programs. He thinks you support yourself and work your way to an education, he said that on meet the press today.

erowe1
10-23-2011, 11:17 AM
the plan does not, in fact, cut student loans
It doesn't?

What's up with that?

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I know why the AP ran with it; but I get the impression this might backfire on them. Just think of all those with student loan debts and no job that are regretting getting those non-dischargeable debts into slavery. They are only non-dischargeable because they are govt loans. A LOT of them are probably gonna read this and say, "he's right".

They are trying to get the occupy types to stop looking to him. Most don't but some do. and they should.

The left desperately wants Occupy to become THEIR tea party.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 11:18 AM
It doesn't?

What's up with that?

You can't do it at the height of the cost bubble, you have to transition. And his plan was to show that a real start didn't have to be scary.

10-23-2011, 11:18 AM

AP went with it as a scare tactic, they bank on people that are dependent on government.

But you do have a point, there is a building backlash against being straddled with crushing student loan debt.

erowe1
10-23-2011, 11:19 AM
You can't do it at the height of the cost bubble

Why not?

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Why not?

because it is too disruptive to immediate education plans to be accepted. No plan goes forward if it is not accepted.

Edu
10-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Wow, they are really grasping at straws here. Ron Paul always says "phase out" and transition and things like that, then these people take it as on/off, you either have the energy department or you don't.

It's amazing how many times Ron has to school these people that don't bother to read his plan.

theczar1776
10-23-2011, 11:28 AM
As usual Ron brings up an issue that needs to be discussed. Because the government subsidizes education, the market place is not able to counsel people on what field they should enter to assure a good living. The colleges and teachers love it. Because of the loose money they have so many more consumers than they would otherwise have or deserve. The quality of education suffers because its value is undermined. Students are lulled into the idea that if they have an education, however costly, they will be assured employment. Can you say education industry? Another feeder at the trough of big government. Everybody will be all abuzz about it and after the dust has settled, people will realize that Ron is right. Ron makes everybody think and that is an excellent thing!

Edu
10-23-2011, 11:35 AM
As usual Ron brings up an issue that needs to be discussed. Because the government subsidizes education, the market place is not able to counsel people on what field they should enter to assure a good living. The colleges and teachers love it. Because of the loose money they have so many more consumers than they would otherwise have or deserve. The quality of education suffers because its value is undermined. Students are lulled into the idea that if they have an education, however costly, they will be assured employment. Can you say education industry? Another feeder at the trough of big government. Everybody will be all abuzz about it and after the dust has settled, people will realize that Ron is right. Ron makes everybody think and that is an excellent thing!You are right on.

When the students have deep pockets due to the funding, these colleges grow like a big government department, they add unneeded staff, pay them outrageous salaries, and add a lot of fluff so they can keep that unending supply of money coming.

That's the distorted market he was talking about.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 11:53 AM
This story is being outright run as if Ron said he'd eliminate student loans. It is SUCH A LIE. Unlike when they lie to say he'd eliminate social security however, students read the internet and if they are interested presumably will find the truth.

ItsTime
10-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Come on guys, the media is doing the best they can, ease up on them, they are our friends /sarcasm.

cdc482
10-23-2011, 12:01 PM
The media has a low opinion of us college students. They think that we will vote for whoever gives us the most free stuff, but in reality, we're not that selfish. We are smart enough to know what's right, and that's what we'll vote for.

greeksta59
10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
One of the comments in the article posted this, which I think hit the nail on the head

"The student loan program is not part of those cuts,"

And the story is therefor fearmongering.

He made it clear he was talking about ending them only after he had ended the price bubble created by government funding which is the reason a kid can't work their way through college as he did himself. So that was a philosophical view, unlike his program, which takes 3 years to balance the budget, leaving not enough time in a presidential term to get to cutting student loans.

specsaregood
10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
One of the comments in the article posted this, which I think hit the nail on the head

And the fact that this is what they chose to run with (something so easily fact checkable that they have to fact-check themselves in the article) demonstrates how well he did in that interview.

sailingaway
10-23-2011, 12:07 PM

He made it clear he was talking about ending them only after he had ended the price bubble created by government funding which is the reason a kid can't work their way through college as he did himself. So that was a philosophical view, unlike his program, which takes 3 years to balance the budget, leaving not enough time in a presidential term to get to cutting student loans.

yezz that was mine....

seapilot
10-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Come on guys, the media is doing the best they can, ease up on them, they are our friends /sarcasm.

Friends like that who needs enemies? The czar1776 comment was spot on about student loans.

The OWS people from what Ive read many do not get the connection that the Big Financial Banks OWN the Government. This was obvious for all to see when over 75% of the US populace was against TARP and the rats that voted for it sided with the Banks. Advocating for more government to solve the problems only empowers the banks they protest against. Student loans via Government empower the banks by putting many students in a lifetime of debt.

JohnGalt1225
10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
More fear mongering and misrepresentation from our friends in the media. I'm sure David Gregory's "solution" to this government created problem would be more government involvement. I won't hold my breath waiting for Anderson Cooper to come out with a "Keeping Them Honest" segment on this.

rideurlightning
10-23-2011, 12:53 PM
More publicity for us. How DO ya DO.

Feeding the Abscess
10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Since the federal government is now involved in all student loans thanks to Obamacare (as opposed to implicitly backing everything before), ending them entirely is the correct position to take. It will then allow the private sector to reinstate a proper market for loans.

Birdlady
10-23-2011, 01:13 PM
People in this country are obsessed with college and it's a touchy subject for most. I'm not sure how this article will go over, but Ron Paul is right!

Friends of mine complain about their school loans, but you cannot talk bad about any aspect of it or they freak out at you. They will even start to say that I'm jealous or something, which makes no sense because I have no school loans. lol

No one even wants to talk about the fact most college degrees are worthless. Even if you are talking to someone who can't find a job! The country as a whole is in denial about college. These people will defend their schools and degrees until they are homeless and even still, they will be clutching their university sweatshirts and alumni bumper stickers to feel better about themselves. At least that's how it is in PA. It is such a sick mentality.

This is once again another great discussion the country should be talking about. Ron Paul is right on.

nayjevin
10-23-2011, 01:40 PM
I went to a community college library and did a survey of books in the section about Constitutional law. It's pretty disgusting how many of the books take an anti-freedom approach to the subject. It would appear that there is an 'activist judge' in the book buying department.

ThePiousPriest
10-23-2011, 01:53 PM
This also shows complete ignorance on behalf of the public with regards to inflation and why all this government stimulus to "retrain workers" is a bad idea. I've got 30 grand in student loans. Not insurmountable, but it is an obstacle.I've kicked around the idea of whether or not I would discharge my loan in exchange for the degree (how are you going to repossess the knowledge in my brain) and go with certifications for IT paid in cash if it were possible to do such. As someone majoring in History .I knew the money isn't in that field, but it was more so for the knowledge(shoulda done this major in the first place as opposed to being an education major).

If our education system worked, people would be able to notice that whenever the government inflates the money supply and borrows to "prop up" and help others, that it drives prices up and screws the middle class and poor people over. Most high school economics courses are a joke so they are ripe for the Keynesian indoctrination when they hit Econ 101. I will say this, it's not by accident that the quality of education is getting worse. The idiots in charge think education is getting better since there is more state intervention, but all the kids are doing are learning to game the system and don't develop the critical thinking skills or motivation to work hard.

My history professor blatantly told me that he doesn't believe college is for everyone and that there are so many problems with the educational system that instead of having time to address important historical issues, they have to focus on mechanics of writing. Apparently, the establishment gets their jollies by burning YOUR money, but the minute they have to pony up for something, every fire department within 3 counties is there to save it.

Czolgosz
10-23-2011, 02:02 PM
People are dumb.