PDA

View Full Version : Feds cracking down on "Bath Salts" today

willwash
10-22-2011, 09:04 PM
ht tp://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/pressrel/pr102111.html

Chemicals Used in "Bath Salts” Now Under Federal Control and Regulation
DEA Will Study Whether To Permanently Control Three Substances

OCT 21 - WASHINGTON, D.C. – The United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) today exercised its emergency scheduling authority to control three synthetic stimulants (Mephedrone, 3,4 methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) and Methylone) used to make products marketed as “bath salts” and “plant food”. Except as authorized by law, this action makes possessing and selling these chemicals, or the products that contain them, illegal in the United States. This emergency action was necessary to prevent an imminent threat to the public safety. The temporary scheduling action will remain in effect for at least one year while the DEA and the United States Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) further study whether these chemicals should be permanently controlled.

The Final Order was published today in the Federal Register to alert the public to this action. These chemicals will be controlled for at least 12 months, with the possibility of a six month extension. They are designated as Schedule I substances, the most restrictive category under the Controlled Substances Act. Schedule I status is reserved for those substances with a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted use for treatment in the United States and a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug under medical supervision.

Over the past several months, there has been a growing use of, and interest in, synthetic stimulants sold under the guise of “bath salts” or “plant food”. Marketed under names such as “Ivory Wave”, “Purple Wave”, “Vanilla Sky” or “Bliss”, these products are comprised of a class of chemicals perceived as mimics of cocaine, LSD, MDMA, and/or methamphetamine. Users have reported impaired perception, reduced motor control, disorientation, extreme paranoia, and violent episodes. The long-term physical and psychological effects of use are unknown but potentially severe. These products have become increasingly popular, particularly among teens and young adults, and are sold at a variety of retail outlets, in head shops and over the Internet. However, they have not been approved by the FDA for human consumption or for medical use, and there is no oversight of the manufacturing process.

In the last six months, DEA has received an increasing number of reports from poison control centers, hospitals and law enforcement regarding products containing one or more of these chemicals. Thirty-seven states have already taken action to control or ban these or other synthetic stimulants. The Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984 amends the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to allow the DEA Administrator to temporarily schedule an abused, harmful, non-medical substance in order to avoid an imminent hazard to public safety while the formal rule-making procedures described in the CSA are being conducted.

“This action demonstrates our commitment to keeping our streets safe from these and other new and emerging drugs that have decimated families, ruined lives, and caused havoc in communities across the country,” said DEA Administrator Michele M. Leonhart. “These chemicals pose a direct and significant threat, regardless of how they are marketed, and we will aggressively pursue those who attempt their manufacture and sale.”

It started with Spice about a year ago, where they did the same thing. I think these synthetic drugs are awesome (not in the sense of using them!) because they illustrate the futility of anti-drug laws in a fundamentally "free" society. Everything is legal until the government says it is illegal. So they ban one thing, and chemists tinker around in the lab for a while, tweak the formula and come up with something new. This has been going on since the 60's at least, after they banned LSD. In the 80's they came out with ecstasy which was legal. Then there was Salvia divinorum (still legal in some states). Then there was spice. Then there was these "bath salts". Next it'll be something else.

donnay
10-22-2011, 09:09 PM
But we still have Aspartame, MSG and High Fructose Corn Syrup--by golly! :mad:

willwash
10-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Where did that George Washington quote in your signature come from? Glenn Beck did a big thing about a year ago claiming that America was founded on Christianity and that Washington was a supporter of this. Intuitively I knew that was wrong, but I'd love to have a direct quote such as that.

PatriotOne
10-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Where did that George Washington quote in your signature come from? Glenn Beck did a big thing about a year ago claiming that America was founded on Christianity and that Washington was a supporter of this. Intuitively I knew that was wrong, but I'd love to have a direct quote such as that.

Treaty of Tripoli

roho76
10-22-2011, 09:25 PM
"This action demonstrates our commitment to keeping our streets safe from these and other new and emerging drugs that have decimated families, ruined lives, and caused havoc in communities across the country,” said DEA Administrator Michele M. Leonhart. “These chemicals pose a direct and significant threat, regardless of how they are marketed, and we will aggressively pursue those who attempt their manufacture and sale.”

As if tyranically telling someone they can't do something they want to and then throwing them in jail doesn't decimate families, ruin lives, and cause havoc in the community.

Has this person ever been to Detroit? It's a fucking war zone. The word 'sociopath' really sums it up.

donnay
10-22-2011, 09:29 PM

George Washington's second term as president and the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli.

Library of Congress:
"Treaty of Peace and Friendship between The United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary," 1796-1797. Treaties and Other International Acts of the United States of America. Edited by Hunter Miller. Vol. 2. 1776-1818. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 1931, p. 383.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

asurfaholic
10-22-2011, 09:59 PM
If govt is going to control drugs and all... then "bath salts" are probably one of the best ones to regulate...

They are horrible, and users are a true threat to others. Justified 100%

Crickett
10-23-2011, 12:14 AM
What I do not get is that the article says several states have already taken action to ban these things--why did the FED step in? MAN..we just gotta make Ron President! No way we can fail..we just HAVE TO!!

willwash
10-23-2011, 08:08 AM
If govt is going to control drugs and all... then "bath salts" are probably one of the best ones to regulate...

They are horrible, and users are a true threat to others. Justified 100%

That's yet another reason the real stuff should never have been banned. Most drugs are naturally occuring (or at least have a natural base). When these drugs get banned, the market demand supports this chemical tinkering with the formulas of drugs...There's no real way to know how they will affect the human body in the long run. The guy who invented JWH-018 (the active chemic al of spice) did so purely for scientific research and has commented that people whjo smoke it are idiots. It just so happens to mimic the effects of THC in the brain, among who knows what other long term effects. Thus it was marketed as a legal alternative to weed.

If weed had never been banned in the first place, spice would never have been marketed (shouldn't say that though, because spice also does not show up on drug tests intended to detect THC, thus there would still be a demand for something like that)

mrsat_98
10-23-2011, 10:46 AM
The WAR ON DRUGS appears to be another scam and fraud similar income tax as it is being successfully defeated by some very astute patriots.

http://www.naturalnews.com/023719_silver_Texas_FDA.html

ronpaul12
10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Legalize marijuana. People will always want to get high. The prohibition gets mostly teens to become desperate and are willing to get high off of manythings. Bath salts are stupid.

dannno
10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
these products are comprised of a class of chemicals perceived as mimics of cocaine, LSD, MDMA, and/or methamphetamine.

Um, I am going to take a wild guess and say that these substances do not mimic LSD or MDMA in any way, shape or form except for a possible single side effect.. but as far as how they actually work on the body and brain I doubt they come anywhere close.

You can actually get similar hallucinogenic effects to LSD if you stay up on meth for long enough, but I wouldn't say that meth "mimics" LSD... in fact the hallucinating I believe comes from the fact that you have been up for so long rather than from the drug itself.. plus it only mimics ONE of the side effects.. MDMA makes you feel "good".. and these bath salts make you feel "good".. again, ONE of the side effects is mimicked and suddenly the entire drug is mimicked?? This is something that somebody who has absolutely zero experience with hallucinogens might come up with.. I highly doubt they function in nearly the same way and sound more just like they are similar to meth.

heavenlyboy34
10-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Are they going to come for my Crystalux (http://uncommonscents.com/Crystalux-Natural-Deodorant-s/27.htm) next? :eek: NOOOOOOOO!!!!! SOMEONE STOP THEM!!! :mad: