PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Facebook 'likes' data/graphs

JustinL
10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Well I was curious to see a graph of Facebook likes data and found. Here is a graph of data for Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, and Herman Cain:
http://pagedata.appdata.com/pages/facebook/-/6233046685+21392801120+235203259169
As you can see Herman Cain netted the most additional likes in the last day and last 7 days, Paul a good chunk behind on the 7 days, but not too far behind in the last day.

Page Likes Category Today 7 Days
Ron Paul 558,853 Politician +2,108 +14,350
Mitt Romney 1,142,357 Politician +1,511 +10,108
Herman Cain 297,380 Public Figure +2,573 +22,323

Here's the graph with just Cain and Paul: http://pagedata.appdata.com/pages/facebook/-/6233046685+235203259169

I'd like to specifically point out that while we got a good chunk of money we hardly got any benefit on garnering new support that would reveal itself somewhat with likes.
I'm suggesting FB likes is a loose metric for determining how well we're doing to expand the base and on that front we don't seem to be doing great. We're far behind Romney and even Herman Cain is gaining on us today despite recent negative news about him (getting slammed on the 999 and abortion fronts).

Current likes for others:
Michelle Bachman: 459,906
Rick Perry: 168,009
Newt Gingrich: 155,901
Rick Santorum: 30,911

For comparison I also looked current 'Talking About' section and got these numbers:
Herman Cain: 74,715
Ron Paul: 64,034
Mitt Romney: 40,737
Michelle Bachman: 37,053
Newt Gingrich: 14,510
Rick Perry: 7,796
Rick Santorum:2,805

We're currently doing well on the talking front, but I fear we're doing too much talking to ourselves and not enough talking to others. My question is how can we focus more on expanding our support and Ron Paul's general likeability to (indirectly!) improve these numbers? What do these numbers mean to you? How do we expand the message faster so we can see a notable slope change on that graph?

My fear is we're focusing too much on these money bombs and relying on ads to expand the message and base and discounting our own power to influence the people in what tends to be a fairly financially cheap way. I'm suggesting perhaps instead of us putting all our effort into money bombs where we tend to keep tapping people that already support Ron Paul we focus instead on spreading the message and let the new blood serve both as an expanded base (the goal) and a means to new campaign money (since they've probably given little to none to Ron Paul already).

Let's do message bombs where we focus on getting the message itself out. Get people on board with the message and show them how Ron Paul supports it more than any other.

Another thing of note that may be hurting Ron Paul's like-ability is his supporters being unfriendly and hostile. As his supporters we need to be as polite and respectable as possible. Do not look at people not onboard as enemies even if they support many things you disagree with. Help them understand Ron Paul like you do, be kind, find common ground, and respect that there will be differences of opinion no matter how well things are explained. Let's help Ron Paul by openly supporting him and being better ourselves. Love thy 'enemy'! Make a special effort to be polite to everyone and set that as the standard to be upheld to legitimately call yourself a Ron Paul supporter. Don't be arrogant and if you have difficulty explaining something don't be afraid to ask for help and to step back in a discussion and say you're not sure but will get back to the person on the topic. We can't spread the message of peace if we're at war with non-Ron Paul supporters! Don't be a hater!

There's things only a 'true Scotsman' would do, let's spread the message of Ron Paul and the idea of 'true Ron Paul' supporters to promote a higher standard for ourselves. But do it in a non-condescending way of course!

What do you guys think? Let's spread some love.

nayjevin
10-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Well I was curious to see a graph of Facebook likes data and found. Here is a graph of data for Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, and Herman Cain:
http://pagedata.appdata.com/pages/facebook/-/6233046685+21392801120+235203259169
As you can see Herman Cain netted the most additional likes in the last day and last 7 days, Paul a good chunk behind on the 7 days, but not too far behind in the last day.

Page Likes Category Today 7 Days
Ron Paul 558,853 Politician +2,108 +14,350
Mitt Romney 1,142,357 Politician +1,511 +10,108
Herman Cain 297,380 Public Figure +2,573 +22,323

Here's the graph with just Cain and Paul: http://pagedata.appdata.com/pages/facebook/-/6233046685+235203259169

Current likes for others:
Michelle Bachman: 459,906
Rick Perry: 168,009
Newt Gingrich: 155,901
Rick Santorum: 30,911

For comparison I also looked current 'Talking About' section and got these numbers:
Herman Cain: 74,715
Ron Paul: 64,034
Mitt Romney: 40,737
Michelle Bachman: 37,053
Newt Gingrich: 14,510
Rick Perry: 7,796
Rick Santorum:2,805

Thanks

We're currently doing well on the talking front, but I fear we're doing too much talking to ourselves and not enough talking to others. My question is how can we focus more on expanding our support and Ron Paul's general likeability to (indirectly!) improve these numbers? What do these numbers mean to you? How do we expand the message faster so we can see a notable slope change on that graph?

My fear is we're focusing too much on these money bombs and relying on ads to expand the message and base and discounting our own power to influence the people in what tends to be a fairly financially cheap way. I'm suggesting perhaps instead of us putting all our effort into money bombs where we tend to keep tapping people that already support Ron Paul we focus instead on spreading the message and let the new blood serve both as an expanded base (the goal) and a means to new campaign money (since they've probably given little to none to Ron Paul already).

I guess I don't understand how they calculate it enough to say how we can affect the graph, but spreading the word outside of existing liberty communities is a great suggestion.

Let's do message bombs where we focus on getting the message itself out. Get people on board with the message and show them how Ron Paul supports it more than any other.

How would that work? Sounds like a good idea.

What do you guys think? Let's spread some love.

Definitely a good idea :)

JustinL
10-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Today's numbers:
Links:
http://pagedata.appdata.com/pages/facebook/-/162625492360+22269950408+19182454196
http://pagedata.appdata.com/pages/facebook/-/44746457369+68288332783

Likes // Total/Today/7Day

Ron Paul: 562,711 +1,742 +14,161
Mitt Romney: 1,147,133 +1,931 +12,264
Herman Cain: 300,336 +1,228 +16,058
Michelle Bachmann: 459,929 -17 -98
Rick Perry: 168,330 +163 +875
Newt Gingrich: 156,560 +301 +3,619
Rick Santorum: 31,030 +59 +763
Jon Huntsman: 20,944 +76 +469

Talking About

Ron Paul: 69,843 (+5,809)
Mitt Romney: 52,061 (+11,324)
Herman Cain: 69,983 (-4,732)
Michelle Bachmann: 34,676 (-2,377)
Rick Perry: 10,767 (+2,971)
Newt Gingrich: 16,468 (+1,958)
Rick Santorum: 3,297 (+492)
Jon Huntsman: 2,150 (?)

Dark Aerow
10-25-2011, 11:46 PM
These graphs don't show a whole lot...

A graph that showed just the total increase/decrease in number of likes per day would be a lot more revealing.

JustinL
10-26-2011, 12:28 AM
These graphs don't show a whole lot...

A graph that showed just the total increase/decrease in number of likes per day would be a lot more revealing.

Yeah tracking just the new like numbers on a graph would be a good trend graph... working on that. May post one tomorrow after I finish plugging in all the data.

Article V
10-26-2011, 03:21 AM
We're having a tough time because Ron Paul supporters spend a lot of time talking to each other. When Ron Paul supporters aren't talking to themselves, they spend much of their time indirectly convincing the rest of America that the Ron Paul movement is out-of-touch and something to be avoided.

After all, we blame every bit of bad press or lack of press on some secret yet vast world-wide conspiracy. The truth is people, including the media, naturally reject and dismiss the anti-status quo. Admitting that we're the anti-status quo, but then blaming our poor press coverage on some secret yet vast conspiracy is INSANE! So it fulfills the stereotype that the status quo people already have of us and Ron Paul: that we're kooky and out-of-touch.

If we want to bring people to our side, we must fit in. We must acknowledge people's hesitation to accept the liberty message as a rational fear. Then we must patiently explain that while the Liberty message may seem dangerous and counter-intuitive, that doesn't make it any less true and viable. Just as people feared Columbus would sail off the edge of the flat world and thought he was crazy for thinking the Earth is round, Columbus had to have patience, acknowledge the truth of their fears, then slowly explain why his "crazy" idea might actually be true and work in their reality.

We must speak to people in their language. We can't insist on making ourselves so "other" that we are rejected by the group. All the people who go to vote for Ron Paul in these straw polls by walking in, hearing Ron speak, then walking out are hurting our chances of winning new voters. If we want to win more than straw polls, then we must sit for the entire weekend and fit in with the group, slowly convincing them that we're just like them and then beginning a dialogue with them. Running in to their conventions, chanting "End the Fed", voting for Ron Paul, then walking out only shows the non-Ron Paul people that we're not like them. And who wants to join a movement of people who insist that their not like you, then rub your face in it by skewing your straw poll results? No one.

Ron Paul supporters need to get their heads out of their asses. If we don't reach out to the community in the method the community wants, then we'll be stuck at a stagnant 8-13%. And that kind of polling is nothing to be proud of for a candidate who has a unique message. If the other candidates weren't all sharing variants of the same message, we'd be in dead last. Because the undecideds are now a small group, which makes the establishment vote 500%+ larger than our numbers. We must convince the establishment that we're not crazy if we're going to win. And the only way to convince the establishment that we're not crazy is to acknowledge to them that it's perfectly rational for them to think that we're crazy. In fact, it's human nature for them to think that we're crazy. But what at first seems crazy isn't always so once it's understood. Columbus was right, the world does spin; and we're standing on the continent that proved it.

fatjohn
10-26-2011, 03:53 AM
We're having a tough time because Ron Paul supporters spend a lot of time talking to each other. When Ron Paul supporters aren't talking to themselves, they spend much of their time indirectly convincing the rest of America that the Ron Paul movement is out-of-touch and something to be avoided.

Yet you appearantly want to blackmail the rest of the GOP in voting for Paul, judged by your "Paul or Nothing!" personal message.

Crotale
10-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Completely agree, the focus has to shift on reaching out to new people rather than talking amongst ourselves. I think less emphasis should be put on moneybombs from now on also. Let's not put all our eggs in one basket.

I've just bumped the 'An effective twitter strategy' thread because that for me is a fantastic way of utilising social media to reach out beyond our supporter base.

Fr0m_3ur0pe
10-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Message board-bomb - talk about Ron Paul on other forums than just RPF. And yes, too many are way too hostile. "Paul or nothing" may work in here, but it makes us look bad.

zerosdontcount
10-26-2011, 03:50 PM
graphs are great, fantastic!

ShaneEnochs
10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
While I was in the shower this morning (where I do my best thinking), I was thinking about going to Youtube and finding the people who are very negative toward Dr. Paul, and then messaging them asking what their opinions are.

We can easily win the economic debate. Foreign policy is more difficult because people have been POUNDED for years about if we don't go get the bad guys, they'll come get us. Either way, I think it would be a good start. Going on other forums would be great as well. The main thing is to be polite and NOT condescending toward neither the candidate nor their followers.

JustinL
10-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Posted graphs in the other thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?316181-Ron-Paul-vs.-Rick-Perry-facebook-likes&p=3691953&viewfull=1#post3691953