PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Caucus moves to February 4th

JTforRP
10-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Good or bad for us? Vets let's hear some input.

http://www.newser.com/article/d9qhgpi02/national-gop-moves-caucus-to-feb-4-to-avoid-december-start-of-presidential-calendar.html

TexMac
10-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Good, I think. Romney wanted it all moved up. This gives us more time.

cero
10-22-2011, 12:51 PM
IA set to go on the 3rd already, damn it

JamesButabi
10-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Personally I think the longer the primary season the better for Ron. Our rise is steady yet slow and gradual. It takes time for us to break through propaganda barriers and blackouts. The biggest thing that could benefit Ron is having colleges in session when voting occurs which I believe (not positive) this could help with.

Karsten
10-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Bad. The only reason IA moved up is that Nevada moved up. Now NV moved back but IA stays. Sucks. Also NV early would have been wonderful cause RP was likely to win there.

V3n
10-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Personally I think the longer the primary season the better for Ron. Our rise is steady yet slow and gradual. It takes time for us to break through propaganda barriers and blackouts. The biggest thing that could benefit Ron is having colleges in session when voting occurs which I believe (not positive) this could help with.

Agreed.

sailingaway
10-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I hope Iowa moves to after Jan 9, but I have no confidence it will. Which will make it a negative since momentum building in NV helps blunt the fact that SC is not Ron's best state right now...

sailingaway
10-22-2011, 01:05 PM
IA set to go on the 3rd already, damn it

I know they said they wouldn't move it BACK towards December more, even if NH changed, but are we sure they won't consider moving it the other way?

tsai3904
10-22-2011, 01:11 PM
I know they said they wouldn't move it BACK towards December more, even if NH changed, but are we sure they won't consider moving it the other way?

The Chairman said the January 3 date is set in stone. There's nothing that will make them move the date.

libertybrewcity
10-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Bad. now Florida goes before Nevada.Whoever wins Florida has momentum elsewhere.

HOLLYWOOD
10-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Who's lobbying the Iowa GOP?

More time would be better for the 18-29 voter group.

I think a huge snow storm would be an advantage too. Anybody have a farmers almanac? ;)

tsai3904
10-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Another big story out of the Nevada GOP is that they will not allow same day registration at the caucus. They were going to put it up for a vote but dropped it from the agenda because they had to discuss the caucus date.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/state-gop-takes-same-day-registration-for-caucus-off-the-table-132337648.html

VegasPatriot
10-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Bad. The only reason IA moved up is that Nevada moved up. Now NV moved back but IA stays. Sucks. Also NV early would have been wonderful cause RP was likely to win there.

I disagree. RP is not likely to win NV, Romney is likely to win the majority of the votes on caucus day (just like in 08). The only reason RP did so well in NV last election is because we did not have delegates bound by the caucus results. That rule has been changed now (hopefully at the state convention we can change it back). Romney dropped out last time so his supporters did not show up in force at the convention - leaving the door open for us (RP supporters) to sweep the delegates in 08. I doubt Romney will drop out before the state convention this time around.

sailingaway
10-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Another big story out of the Nevada GOP is that they will not allow same day registration at the caucus. They were going to put it up for a vote but dropped it from the agenda because they had to discuss the caucus date.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/state-gop-takes-same-day-registration-for-caucus-off-the-table-132337648.html

WHAT? That is a HUGE change!! Can they do that without a vote?

We really need to organize that and let Blue Republicans know.

sailingaway
10-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I disagree. RP is not likely to win NV, Romney is likely to win the majority of the votes on caucus day (just like in 08). The only reason RP did so well in NV last election is because we did not have delegates bound by the caucus results. That rule has been changed now (hopefully at the state convention we can change it back). Romney dropped out last time so his supporters did not show up in force at the convention - leaving the door open for us (RP supporters) to sweep the delegates in 08. I doubt Romney will drop out before the state convention this time around.

I think under the current split delegate version he is likely to get delegates, though.

tsai3904
10-22-2011, 01:40 PM
WHAT? That is a HUGE change!! Can they do that without a vote?

Well, it's not really a change because in 08, it was closed to Republicans. They wanted to change it to allow same day registration but because the tea party was vocal against it and this caucus date drama, they decided to drop the vote and keep the same rules from 08.

It would have been huge for us if they did vote to allow same day registration though.

VegasPatriot
10-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I think under the current split delegate version he is likely to get delegates, though.

Sure RP will get delegates now... I'd say about 15-25 percent. In the old system we could win the majority of delegates because we RP supports show up rain or shine and are far more organized than other campaigns. Now with the new system we are limited to the percentage of votes received on caucus day. NV has a high population of Mormons who will mostly vote Romney. Remember Romney won about 50 percent of the vote in 08... this new rule change hurts us in NV imo.

sailingaway
10-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, it's not really a change because in 08, it was closed to Republicans. They wanted to change it to allow same day registration but because the tea party was vocal against it and this caucus date drama, they decided to drop the vote and keep the same rules from 08.

It would have been huge for us if they did vote to allow same day registration though.

I actually read your post wrong the first time, and thought it was about Iowa, and freaked. Then left in part. Sorry!

Invi
10-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Didn't moving up to Jan. end with us getting less delegates? This sounds like a god thing if we can get enough of the vote. Sucks to be after FL but we need the delegates.

sailingaway
10-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Sure RP will get delegates now... I'd say about 15-25 percent. In the old system we could win the majority of delegates because we RP supports show up rain or shine and are far more organized than other campaigns. Now with the new system we are limited to the percentage of votes received on caucus day. NV has a high population of Mormons who will mostly vote Romney. Remember Romney won about 50 percent of the vote in 08... this new rule change hurts us in NV imo.

No question. Ron has Morman support as well, but you are right that Romney is the favorite. That is why he wanted to move the caucus up.

tsai3904
10-22-2011, 01:52 PM
The new order will be:

1. Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Nevada

The campaign will have to shift resources to focus more on South Carolina and Florida now. It sucks that the campaign just opened two offices in Nevada this past week.

sailingaway
10-22-2011, 01:53 PM
The new order will be:

1. Iowa
2. New Hampshire
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Nevada

The campaign will have to shift resources to focus more on South Carolina and Florida now. It sucks that the campaign just opened two offices in Nevada this past week.

Steve Bierfeldt has always struck me as pretty mobile.

All the same, we need him for caucus states.

dante
10-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Bad. now Florida goes before Nevada.Whoever wins Florida has momentum elsewhere.

Correct. I personally think its better for us if Nevada goes before Florida. We have a better shot of winning Nevada and that will provide a boost going into Florida.