PDA

View Full Version : *What am I?*

realtonygoodwin
10-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I would like some help defining myself. I have interchangeably used the following terms:

libertarian
Constitutionalist
Minarchist
Paleoconservative
Classical liberal

Am I wrong to think all these can overlap? I would like some of you to ask questions of me so I can answer and you can then tell me what I am.

What is the difference between these?

pcosmar
10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
"anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

I have that problem too.
I am an individual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcaxlxgnvf0

GeorgiaAvenger
10-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I am a paleolibertarian Constitutionalist.

Somebody that has conservative cultural values and classical liberal view of government embodied in the Constitution.

Travlyr
10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
I am not a number, I am a liberty loving man seeking a way to put an end to privileged people counterfeiting my money and then using that counterfeit money to buy security teams to control me.

"Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin. Bankers own the Earth. Take it away from them but leave them the power to create money, and, with the flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again. Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in. But, if you want to continue to be the slave of the bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the bankers continue to create money and control credit." - Sir Josiah Stamp, President, Bank of England (2nd richest man in England)
I don't wish to be a slave to the bankers and I am damn sure sick and tired of paying for it.

realtonygoodwin
10-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Lol, I am asking what I am, not what you are haha.

V3n
10-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't like getting hung up on labels, but other people like to categorize and want to know what box to put you in.

I've heard Ron Paul call himself a "Constitutional Conservative" so I usually just go with that.

Once you label me, you negate me.

Anti Federalist
10-22-2011, 01:21 PM
We are all, every one of us, "refuseniks".

flightlesskiwi
10-22-2011, 01:21 PM
if you want to strike up a convo, give yourself the opportunity to educate, (or freak people out) you could describe yourself as a classical liberal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism)

Sola_Fide
10-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm a free market purist.

realtonygoodwin
10-22-2011, 01:24 PM
if you want to strike up a convo, give yourself the opportunity to educate, (or freak people out) you could describe yourself as a classical liberal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_liberalism)

I actually do use that sometimes.

I guess what I am asking is, what is the difference between those that I listed?

pcosmar
10-22-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't like getting hung up on labels, but other people like to categorize and want to know what box to put you in.

They already know what box to put me in.

Here's to their lack of success to this point.

http://www.skyscanner.com/news/articles/2010/09/03/beer.cheers.JPG

pcosmar
10-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I would like some help defining myself.

Lol, I am asking what I am, not what you are haha.

Individual
Human (I assume)
A Man (again, I assume)

Why the need for labels?

realtonygoodwin
10-22-2011, 01:31 PM
For clarity and convenience.

pcosmar
10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
For clarity and convenience.

:confused:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3351291&stc=1&d=1305425098

My experience is that labels do neither.

pcosmar
10-22-2011, 02:21 PM
My experience is that labels do neither.

When I joined the forum a few years ago, I described myself as an Angry American.

I suppose a few labels may fit,, but may be colored by another understanding of those terms.
I am a constitutionalist, a libertarian, a conservative (by Reagan's description)
I am an independent voter. A redneck or a hippie (long haired country boy)
Smuggler, Mercenary, Bank Robber. Ex Con. Christian (though irreligious)
Bodyman, Fabricator, Farmer. Husband. etc.

I am sometimes called other things. Some may or may not be true.

I am an individual.

nobody's_hero
10-22-2011, 02:48 PM
You are Legion, for you are many.

someperson
10-22-2011, 03:11 PM
pcosmar and v3n have it exactly right. I'll just leave this (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?256938-Bloomberg-Neocons-Overtake-Tea-Party&p=2839527#post2839527) here.

realtonygoodwin
10-22-2011, 03:21 PM
So, none of you individuals are able to tell me the difference between libertarian, constitutionalist, minarchist, paleoconservative and classical liberal?

pcosmar
10-22-2011, 03:27 PM
So, none of you individuals are able to tell me the difference between libertarian, constitutionalist, minarchist, paleoconservative and classical liberal?

Not sure there is a lot of difference beyond varying degrees of perception.

low preference guy
10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm an orange

heavenlyboy34
10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
labels are stupid. Every time I try to come up with a sufficient label for myself, I find reasons it doesn't work.

someperson
10-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Individuals are encouraged to label themselves, in order to more conveniently describe themselves to others. In practice, this rarely, if ever, works out as intended. Discussions are immediately distorted by emotional reflex reactions to hearing the various labels: instant affinity to "friendly" labels, irrational antagonism to "enemy" labels. Each label means so many different things to so many different people. Is a person who adopts the label, "libertarian," one who generally appreciates the non-aggression principle, or a domestic terrorist with a desire to initiate aggression against representatives of the state? Some people honestly believe the first; others honestly believe the second; while still others believe things I've never even considered. Labels are unfit for their purpose.

For more, please read this post if you have time: Manipulation of the Individual (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?231130-Manipulation-of-the-Individual). It's a bit off-topic, but it describes some of the reasons why I believe labels are counter-productive and, in many ways, dangerous.

Southron
10-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I really like Constitutional Conservative. It helps me identify with family and friends the most and still push a purer form of "conservative".

If you listed your core beliefs I'm sure we subjectively put you in some group. I identify most closely with paleoconservatives.

If we don't label ourselves then other people will. I kind of like to know who is on "my side" too.

VBRonPaulFan
10-22-2011, 04:23 PM

there is a lot of overlap between all of those terms. they are used to describe slightly different things. libertarianism is more of a pure philosophical view of the world imo. i'd consider classical liberal and constitutionalist basically the same. i think of minarchism as applying the libertarian worldview to political reality and economics. not sure how helpful that is? you can wikipedia all of those for a strict definition i guess.

Anti Federalist
10-22-2011, 05:05 PM

As others have already noted, there is little difference between all of them.

They all describe a philosophy that holds the individual supreme and that any form of government only exists at the behest and consent of individuals and is there only to protect the rights of individuals.

Most all other labels describe the alternate philosophy, that the needs of the individual are always secondary to the needs of the collective group.