PDA

View Full Version : Americans Forced Afghan Civilians To Walk Through Minefields: Multiple Allegations

Agorism
10-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Americans Forced Afghan Civilians To Walk Through Minefields: Multiple Allegations

http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2011/10/20/americans-forced-afghan-civilians-to-walk-through-minefields-multiple-allegations/

Why is the United States still at war against the Taliban in Afghanistan, more than 10 years after the fighting started? The standard explanation is that American soldiers are fighting to protect Afghanistan against the cruel and violent Taliban, supporting a just and democratic Afghan government that will respect the rights of the people.

What if the government that the United States has installed in Afghanistan turns out to be unjust and cruel, just like the Taliban? What if, in its conduct of the war in Afghanistan, the United States begins to adopt some of the brutal tactics of the Taliban? When that happens, the rationale for the long Afghanistan war crumbles to dust.

Today, NPR is reporting a story that provides one more blow to the credibility of the war in Afghanistan. Many Afghan villagers have independently given the same story: Soldiers from the American-installed Afghan government, accompanied by American soldiers, pulled civilians out of their houses at night and forced them to march in front of the soldiers, along a road that was known to conceal unexploded land mines.

The U.S. military says that there’s no physical evidence to corroborate the story, but what were the villagers supposed to do? Grab digital cameras from their remote, rural homes as they were being dragged out of bed in the middle of the night? The U.S. military, for its part, has failed to explain how so many independent sources could be telling similar stories about an incident that never took place.

If this incident did indeed take place, it’s a war crime. It wouldn’t be the only of its kind on the part of the Americans in Afghanistan, however. The more we see of what actually happens in war, the more clear it becomes that “war crime” is a redundant term.

moderate libertarian
10-21-2011, 11:45 PM
If true, those responsible probably would never be tried as luckily we have immunity from war crime prosecutions when waging wars in poor countries. Civilians of a poor country like that are not of our nationality, race and their lives would have to have lesser value.

Reminded of this recent prosecution of war crimes in Afghanistan under Obama regime.

US soldier who killed Afghan civilians for sport convicted, gets 7 years in prison (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?318133-US-soldier-who-killed-Afghan-civilians-for-sport-convicted-gets-7-years-in-prison)

oyarde
10-23-2011, 02:59 PM
I hate mine fields

oyarde
10-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Fastest way to clear a minefield is either an airstrike or fire for effect with a battery of .155's . Just do not tell anyone what you are doing , call it in as a target :)

james1844
10-23-2011, 03:19 PM
It looks like Afghan soldiers were doing this, its not standard operating procedure for US forces.

pcosmar
10-23-2011, 03:55 PM
I hate mine fields
I like them well enough.
a great supply of re-usable explosives.

;)

moderate libertarian
10-29-2011, 02:41 PM
It looks like Afghan soldiers were doing this, its not standard operating procedure for US forces.

If true, that would only encourage more hostile attitudes among local forces.

Had read while back that for some operations Afghan troops were locked in the buses to transport them for fear of them fleeing. Not exactly a trust building exercise.