PDA

View Full Version : Poll - How much do you own in student loans?

Aden
10-21-2011, 10:03 PM
If you are married, please add together all student loans. How much do you and/or spouse owe in student loans?

Misspelled "owe" in title post if mod could fix.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2011, 10:34 PM
I have a certificate of completion. You also need options for AA degrees and so forth.

Aden
10-21-2011, 10:44 PM
I have a certificate of completion. You also need options for AA degrees and so forth.

Good point. I actually had this one divided into smaller increments, but had to get rid of them because it only allows for 20 options.

Aden
10-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Morning bump. I know people who are 300k in debt to student loans.

123tim
10-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Misspelled "owe" in title post if mod could fix.

I think that your current phrasing is perfect....."How much do you own in student loans?" is a very good way to think about any loan. You do own them. They're a negative asset and a responsibility that belongs to you. I wish that some of the O.W,S, student crowd would realize this.

GopBlackList
10-22-2011, 10:35 AM
i have 0 and working on a phd now

bkreigh
10-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I have 0 and dropped out after 1.5 semesters. (best thing that ever happened to me)

My wife has 0 and will graduate at the end of this year.

wannaberocker
10-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Damn it , i messed up on another poll (Note to self read before voting).

kylejack
10-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I did two semesters and paid off 9K in full a few months ago.

Aden
10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
bump

Demigod
10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
i dont see an option 0 with graduating in future

Keith and stuff
10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Some people are so bad at planning that they go to college and don't even declare a degree and get student loans. If you aren't sure about college, then either do not go or go to a community college or trade school. Live with parents, other family members or in one room of a multi-room house. Get a job so you don't need to take out loans for the community college degree. It's pretty simple and easy for almost everyone to do.

This should be one of the main focuses for students their senior year of high school. Students should be taught about savings, money market and checking accounts. They should be taught about checkbooks and online banking. They should be taught how mail and package shipping works. They should be taught about comparison shopping, budgeting, how to get a job, how to get a place to live, auto expenses and so on. This is adult 101.

Aden
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Bump for the noobs in a different thread.

Son of Detroit
02-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I'll have about 25k for undergrad, who knows for law school. Hoping I can have a good enough GPA and LSAT to get some substantial money from some good schools.

NidStyles
02-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Owe 0, and still going.

Headed towards a Masters. What I learned on this path is that with careful planning and knowing where you want to go, you can do it with out a loan whatsoever. Do your first two years at a Comm College to get the prereqs out of the way, because those are the big money courses at every major Univ.. Once you get to where you simply take your core course work, it get's a lot cheaper. College is not for the un-motivated. Which reminds me, I should be working on a paper :-P.

outspoken
02-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I know plenty of doctors who are well over 300K in loans and will get out paying 8% interest. As you cannot ever wipe out student debt, we are quickly approaching the point where many of our health care professionals are entering into indentured servatude and don't realize it til they get their degree. Ignorance is bliss until the music stops and the party is over.

robert9712000
02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Never went to college.No desire too.I believe more jobs could be apprenticeships.

Now granted it is my choice ,but ive always thought it odd that my profession in surveying and others that don't require you to have a degree pay so much less.It would take a person years to learn all i know which would be equal time of learning as a standard college education.I think college to a point has disproportionately inflated wages.

Like i said though,it is my choice so im not complaining.Just an observation.

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM
why 0-20k? That's a big margin. How about 0? I didn't owe 1 penny my entire education.

MRoCkEd
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Fortunately I will graduate with little or no debt due to scholarships and family help. But I definitely think the best plan is to take as many AP classes as possible in HS, knock out prerequisites at a community college, and then transfer to a good state school. Work during summers and part time during school to cover all or most of the costs. Also, get a useful degree so you will end up with a job. Don't even bother if you are going to major in art history or philosophy.

Stupified
02-23-2012, 07:22 PM
I'll have about 25k for undergrad, who knows for law school. Hoping I can have a good enough GPA and LSAT to get some substantial money from some good schools.

Almost the same situation for me. ~$25k for undergrad and anywhere from probably $10k-40k per year of law school.

pcgame
02-23-2012, 07:54 PM
$3,000K
Sophmore going toward bachelors. I have no plans on getting anymore loans.

pcosmar
02-23-2012, 08:41 PM
No Option for just $0.

Self and life experience educated.
Masters in Survival. Professional Bodyman and Painter
Homeowner (20 acres paid for)

Jingles
02-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I have no clue. You should have that option.

Titus
02-23-2012, 09:01 PM
I have about 140,000 after law school. Most of it is on IBR but I just graduated and had two cross country moves and set up my own business. I plan on paying back every dime of it. I moved out for the first time and I did not know how to manage money.

That being said, law school is a gamble right now. The market puts out much more supply than there is demand thanks to government loans. The school one should go to greatly depends on what they want they want to do afterwards. The stats put out by US News World Report resemble Maine reporting.