PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Paul's Suit

Okie RP fan
10-21-2011, 09:25 PM
I have seen many people complain about it, supporters, and non supporters.

Is it really that big of a deal? I mean, personally, I couldn't care less. But, if it really is detrimental to voters, should we try and contact the campaign and tell them to consider getting a smaller suit?

Seems he just doesn't have time for stuff like that...

bluesc
10-21-2011, 09:28 PM
His suit looked great tonight :)

KCIndy
10-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Apparently in this age of Bread and Circuses there are a lot of people out there who think a well tailored suit, manicure and slick movie star haircut are more important to the running of a country than a knowledge of economics and the Constitution. :(

CaptainAmerica
10-21-2011, 09:48 PM
I have seen many people complain about it, supporters, and non supporters.

Is it really that big of a deal? I mean, personally, I couldn't care less. But, if it really is detrimental to voters, should we try and contact the campaign and tell them to consider getting a smaller suit?

Seems he just doesn't have time for stuff like that... It is not a big deal,and it looks like he is wearing body armor..good for him.

Okie RP fan
10-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Apparently in this age of Bread and Circuses there are a lot of people out there who think a well tailored suit, manicure and slick movie star haircut are more important to the running of a country than a knowledge of economics and the Constitution. :(

Isn't it ridiculous?

Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal. I have heard it mentioned several times before.

McDermit
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
It wouldn't hurt anything to get him a few tailored suits... and if it helps his image with non supporters even a little bit, it is worth it. It wouldn't take much time. Hire someone to come to his hotel to take his measurements/fit him, and they could have a few suits altered the same day. It's not like Ron would need to go spend hours in a men's store.

GopBlackList
10-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Ron paul looks good with a blazer with a sweater and tie underneath it.

Texan4Life
10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Ron Paul JAMMIES FTW!!!!!!!

Paul Fan
10-22-2011, 01:37 PM
I like his suit fine. He is real, not slick.

On his 39k presidential salary he shouldn't be wasting money on more suits.

McDermit
10-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I like his suit fine. He is real, not slick.

This is the way someone already supporting Paul thinks. I agree. But we need to think about what appeals to the rest of America. Probably 10% of GOP voters will vote or Romney simply because he "looks presidential." Every debate, there is a slew of comments about how presidential each candidate looks. The sentiment amongst these people is that Ron Paul looks frumpy and that he doesn't look presidential. The fact that his ill-fitting suits are so often a conversation topic should tell you something. If $5000 would bolster his image and make him look "more presidential" to the superficial masses, it is money well spent.

Okie RP fan
10-22-2011, 02:25 PM
This is the way someone already supporting Paul thinks. I agree. But we need to think about what appeals to the rest of America. Probably 10% of GOP voters will vote or Romney simply because he "looks presidential." Every debate, there is a slew of comments about how presidential each candidate looks. The sentiment amongst these people is that Ron Paul looks frumpy and that he doesn't look presidential. The fact that his ill-fitting suits are so often a conversation topic should tell you something. If $5000 would bolster his image and make him look "more presidential" to the superficial masses, it is money well spent.

Yep. There are some people who want someone who looks like a leader.

Johnny Appleseed
10-22-2011, 03:59 PM
That suit fit him like a shell but I think thats alright... made me think that the Good Dr. is like a turtle... steadily marching on as a hand full of jackalopes run circles around him.

anaconda
10-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Suit chip in? I bet for a thousand bucks we could get him something real nice.

Pizzo
10-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Honestly, I think it is less the suit itself, and more of a combination of his posture at times as well as his pants bunching up because of him not wearing dress shoes. Personally, I do not care one bit.

TC95
10-22-2011, 04:08 PM
I never pay attention to any of their suits. I don't care. I guess I'd notice if a candidate showed up to a debate in some suit that was tattered and torn or some brightly colored florescent looking thing, but I think most people try to look respectable.

Seraphim
10-22-2011, 04:29 PM
A classic grey suit fits his persona.

http://ak2.ostkcdn.com/images/products/L10776928.jpg

Throw in some nice shoes, a nice tie and dress shirt that pops out a bit and I think he would look the bit.

Grey suits are NOT boring. They are VERY versatile, suit all situations and in Dr. Ron Paul's case, not too flashy.

I like this Navy tie for him:

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Versace-Mens-Silk-Navy-Patterned-Tie/5520922/product.html

Navy is strong and says I'M THE BUSINESS.

Seraphim
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Other people do, therefore it matters.

WE know that Ron Paul DEFINES substance. In order to attract the eye of the casual voter he needs to add style to his abundance of substance.

I never pay attention to any of their suits. I don't care. I guess I'd notice if a candidate showed up to a debate in some suit that was tattered and torn or some brightly colored florescent looking thing, but I think most people try to look respectable.

Seraphim
10-22-2011, 04:33 PM
For the whole outfit (shoes, tie, shirt, suit, cuff links, etc) 2.5K would be better. This is the President (hopefully) we are talking about. The suit alone would be about 1200$ for a well tailored designer suit + the ammenities.

Of course, he could spent much more - but 2500-3000$ should cover it.

Suit chip in? I bet for a thousand bucks we could get him something real nice.

giovannile07
10-22-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't believe it is necessary, but he would look damn good in a fine suit. In my opinion toward those who don't think he looks presidential, I would say that if you knew what he stood for then you would know he looks like a perfect fit for president.

willwash
10-22-2011, 09:20 PM
You know, the suit is just conventional. But the message isn't conventional!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7RnlPQCKBQ

Just watc h the first 20 seconds. It gets bad afterwards

Darthbrooklyn
10-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Guys, we have to realize that we live in a society where the highest tv ratings go to mindless drivel like American Idol, TMZ, Housewives etc.. We as a people have an attention span of a gnat... Therefore people will choose based on looks and Ron needs to capitalize on it.. like it or not... Im trying to get him to win, after hes elected i dont give a sh** what he wears..

Tim724
11-01-2011, 11:53 AM
He has looked good in some recent appearances, but yeah, I believe it was the last debate where his suit was too big and Chris Cillizza at WaPo commented in his article the next day that Dr Paul's jacket was at least 2 sizes too big. And, I think it was a debate or two prior where Dr Paul wore a tie with some sort of blue grid pattern that was too busy for TV and looked bad on screen.

Also, as noted in this thread, there is something about Dr Paul's posture or something that always makes his jacket lapels look bad - they end up far away from his shirt collar and bowing outward, instead of laying flat, neat, and hugging the collar. I always cringe a little when I turn on a debate and see his jacket doing that.

This topic has been discussed to death since 2007, but I can understand why: it is not the most important thing in the world, but it is immediately noticable and easily fixable. I would be very curious to know how the campaign handles his wardrobe. If they are just leaving it up to Dr Paul or some assistant who knows nothing about menswear to handle his clothes ad hoc, that would be really amateurish and really piss me off. For under $20K Dr Paul should be able to look like a million bucks for every single appearance for the entire 2012 campaign (including all clothing, dry cleaning, etc). That is chump change for the money they are working with and is worth every penny.

"Appearance matters" is a fact of life.

No Free Beer
11-01-2011, 11:57 AM
his suits are fine. its his body type. take it easy everyone

musicmax
11-01-2011, 02:12 PM
his suits are fine. its his body type. take it easy everyone

No, his body type dictates that he get his suits altered or made-to-measure. Take a look at this picture: EVERY candidate's suit sleeves are too long (1/2" of shirt cuff should be showing). RP would do wonders for tossing off the "dowdy old man" look by getting a couple of Brooks Brothers or Hickey Freeman canvassed suits from their made-to-measure programs:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/International/gty_gop_debate_reagan_library_mw_110908_wblog.jpg