PDA

View Full Version : This should be fun: Heritage / AEI to host presidential debate with CNN on foreign policy

Zatch
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/2011/10/Heritage-to-Co-Host-Debate-with-AEI-CNN

Washington, D.C., Oct. 17, 2011 – The Heritage Foundation will co-host a Republican presidential debate on foreign policy and national security with the American Enterprise Institute and CNN, officials of the two Washington-based think tanks and the worldwide cable news organization announced late tonight.

The Republican candidates’ debate, scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 15, at 8 p.m. at a Washington location to be announced shortly, will air nationally on CNN and CNN en Español and worldwide on CNN International, CNN Radio and CNN.com.

“Heritage is delighted to have this opportunity to increase public understanding of the candidates’ positions on critical foreign policy and national security questions requiring American leadership in the second decade of the 21st century,” Heritage President Edwin J. Feulner said.

The debate will mark the first time that either Heritage or AEI has sponsored a presidential debate. Details such as format will be announced later, said spokesmen for CNN and the two nonprofit, nonpartisan research institutes.

Bern
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Nagasakibomb.jpg/300px-Nagasakibomb.jpg

tyleranastasi
10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
As long as Ron is able to make his points clear, the facts are on his side.

JamesButabi
10-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Foreign Policy is far and away the most divisive issue for people that might normally consider voting for Ron Paul. It is the one area we can pick up the most support if articulated correctly.

As of right now this is how the average voter (non supporter) thinks of Ron Paul's foreign policy: "Hes going to bring all the troops home from every country around the world and doesn't care about repercussions of doing so."

We will not win the election with this perception. Ron needs to articulate his foreign policy in details so it doesn't scare the crap out of the average voter. He can't make this debate purely about economics. He needs to go beyond that with foresight, historical analysis, and a thoughtful direction (a plan). This issue will single handily decide whether or not we can win in 2012.

Federal Reserve audit - we have a mainstream message to the average voter
Balancing the Budget - we have a mainstream message to the average voter (not as many unknowns now)
Foreign Policy - we scare the scrap out of the average voter because of the unknowns

LisaNY
10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Why bother?? They all agree with eachother except for Ron.

lucent
10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Cain doesn't have a foreign policy.

howardroark
10-21-2011, 10:53 AM
We need to have as many of our people there as possible. We can't have clips and sound bytes of people booing Ron on his positions and skewing public perception that peace is not popular. As soon as we find out where this is being held, we need to ensure that we are the majority in the crowd.

bluesc
10-21-2011, 10:53 AM

He'll develop one, plenty of time to prepare. I hope Ron's campaign does the same.

I mean the campaign should hold focus groups to find specific wording, and script the answers to typical questions, have talking points to fall back on, ect. This needs to be a good one because foreign policy is the #1 reason people won't vote for him and the media criticize him.

Bruno
10-21-2011, 10:54 AM

Sure, he does. He just doesn't know what it is because he isn't President yet and hasn't surrounded himself with status quo advisors from previous campaigns to tell him what it is.

By his logic, any of us could be POTUS > you don't have to know anything, just hire smart people.

EBounding
10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Federal Reserve audit - we have a mainstream message to the average voter
Balancing the Budget - we have a mainstream message to the average voter (not as many unknowns now)
Foreign Policy - we scare the scrap out of the average voter because of the unknowns

Totally agree.

The wars aren't nearly as "popular" as they were in 2008 with conservatives, but people are now worried about Iran instead for some reason. He could describe a scenario where if Iran actually sent warships into our waters, that it would be an act of war. He would counter this threat as president, provided he has a declaration from congress. Then he could go on to say how it's a ridiculous scenario.

He should also mention that he wants us out of the UN to regain our sovereignty. He's said in the past that the US should be able to declare war as it sees fit without the authority of a global government. I don't think he mentioned this in any of the recent debates though. This is a unique position that would be very popular with the conservative base.

Finally he has to mention the overwhelming support he has from the military. The issue about Israel will probably come up too, so he should point out that he was the only one who didn't condemn them when they bombed Iraq in the 80's.

kah13176
10-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Paul better do a lot of preparation for this one.

Justinfrom1776
10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
The rest of the GOP field should just send in Dick Cheney as their representative, allowing Doc ample time to educate the chicken hawks.

sailingaway
10-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I posted this the other day. Nice to be run by the military industrial complex. Frum is salivating in his articles.

Carole
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM

He has PEOPLE! :rolleyes: :D

dbill27
10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Get your popcorn ready, this is going to be fun!

10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Ron really needs to prepare for this. He needs to to find a way to present his positions in a way mainstream people can understand. He is going to be front and center in this one getting attacked from every angle since the rest of the field has the same position.

1. Show that Isreal would be in an arguably stronger position to defend themselves without the US reigning them in
2. Show that Iran is not a threat to the US and that any intervention there would be disastrous.
3. Show that our presence overseas is the reason we are attacked

The way Ron presents things in a historical perspective is very effective, but needs to be pared down to pre-arranged answers he can get out in a one minute sound bite. This is what it will take to win over people who like Ron but are on the fence about the foreign policy. People are sick of the endless wars, but scared of being attacked. He needs to show them that they won't be once we stop intervening overseas.

Mentioning that he was the only one who supported Isreal's attack on the Iraqi nuclear facility would score big points.

gb13
10-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Ron really needs to prepare for this. He needs to to find a way to present his positions in a way mainstream people can understand. He is going to be front and center in this one getting attacked from every angle since the rest of the field has the same position.

1. Show that Isreal would be in an arguably stronger position to defend themselves without the US reigning them in
2. Show that Iran is not a threat to the US and that any intervention there would be disastrous.
3. Show that our presence overseas is the reason we are attacked

The way Ron presents things in a historical perspective is very effective, but needs to be pared down to pre-arranged answers he can get out in a one minute sound bite. This is what it will take to win over people who like Ron but are on the fence about the foreign policy. People are sick of the endless wars, but scared of being attacked. He needs to show them that they won't be once we stop intervening overseas.

Mentioning that he was the only one who supported Isreal's attack on the Iraqi nuclear facility would score big points.

Wasn't there a quote from (I believe) the Israeli Prime Minister stating that they do not want, nor do they need, the U.S. to be so involved in their personal affairs; even going so far as to say they don't want our foreign aid anymore?? I swear I read something along those lines very recently.

10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Wasn't there a quote from (I believe) the Israeli Prime Minister stating that they do not want, nor do they need, the U.S. to be so involved in their personal affairs; even going so far as to say they don't want our foreign aid anymore?? I swear I read something along those lines very recently.

There was, but I don't know if it was the prime minister.

Fermli
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Peace through strength, and clarity.

Fermli
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6695/ronpaul2008thumbsup.jpg

SchleckBros
10-21-2011, 01:00 PM

"My friends, you don’t need to do nation building in Israel. We’re already built. You don’t need to export democracy to Israel. We’ve already got it. You don’t need to send American troops to defend Israel. We defend ourselves."

~ Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu,
May 2011 before the U.S. Congress

The Free Hornet
10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
The wars aren't nearly as "popular" as they were in 2008 with conservatives, but people are now worried about Iran instead for some reason. He could describe a scenario where if Iran actually sent rowboats into our waters, that it would be an act of war. He would counter this threat as president, provided he has a declaration from congress. Then he could go on to say how it's a ridiculous scenario.

Fixed that for you.

Lucille
10-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Why bother?? They all agree with each other except for Ron.

Yup. All Wilsonians, including Obama.

Neo-Wilsonianism as a Great-Granddaddy of Neoconservatism (http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster91.html)

eduardo89
10-21-2011, 02:19 PM
He'll develop one, plenty of time to prepare. .

So much time he might develop 2 or 3 foreign policies.

bluesc
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
So much time he might develop 2 or 3 foreign policies.

One for every interview.

Blankstare
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM

The US Federal government shouldn't HAVE a foreign policy.

freshjiva
10-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Ron should make the case made by:

1) Founders: quote Jefferson and Madison as often as possible - "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all; entangling alliances with none." (Jefferson)
2) Constitution: war making falls only as a duty of Congress
3) History: show how American Exceptionalism derived not from wars, occupation, military interventionism, and economic sanctions, but from the exact opposite; drive home point that conflicts arise from barriers to trade (ex.: Vietnam during wartime versus post-war relations with the United States or Iraq in the 1990s).
4) Fiscal: wars and militarism have bankrupted Empires of the past (Rome, Soviet Union) and is doing the same to us today.
5) Defense: quote the 9/11 Commission report, Michael Scheuer, Col. Douglas Macgregor as often as possible to explain why our national defense is weakened with long, open-ended nation-building projects, and hundreds of bases around the world, and emphasize protecting our national sovereignty, borders and homeland by bringing our troops home.

These five points are winning arguments.