PDA

View Full Version : Anybody that was in the fray in 2007...

hammy
10-21-2011, 01:53 AM
...how are we doing in comparison this year? Better? Worse? The same?

CaptainAmerica
10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
...how are we doing in comparison this year? Better? Worse? The same? leaps and bounds BETTER

Danjlion7
10-21-2011, 01:57 AM

Momentously better. Raised about double the money this time around, and having positive coverage on fox news, limbaugh and hannity would have been unheard of in 2007. Not so this time around. Paul could really win this thing.

Karsten
10-21-2011, 01:58 AM
It doesn't even compare to 2007/8. Let's hope the primary results don't either.

Xenophage
10-21-2011, 02:00 AM
This time around:

We have higher polling numbers
We get more media coverage
We've raised more money (even if the moneybombs haven't been as big yet, we raise more overall)
The other candidates have adopted a slew of our talking points

By every metric I can think of we're doing much better this time.

Lord Xar
10-21-2011, 02:11 AM
I"d say better, but the concentration and mobilization of the media against Ron Paul is better tuned. I have not seen such propping up of failed candidates than I have now. It is almost a "jumping the shark" situation. I think this is indicative of Ron's potential. They, the media/elites, have a plan. And that is to ride out a "non-establishment" alternative to Romeny and whenever that candidate falters, they prop up another.. and then another. If you notice, Ron Paul hasn't been able to gain much traction.... it is deliberate. This is a reason by Cain's gaffs etc.. are not really "getting out there". If Cain falters, who do they have? Perry - he is already damaged goods. Newt? Too much of a risk and allows the idea of desperation in the repub party to come forward. Imho, they will keep Cain propped, while keeping Perry on Ice....

We need a game changer. Something that takes the cards away from the media/elites and allows the Ron Paul campaign to shape the debate.

gerryb
10-21-2011, 02:14 AM
It is nice having other candidates take some talking points.

We must remember, winning the presidency should not be the primary goal. It is definitely a long shot, in my estimation we are 1 quarter ahead of where we were in 07/08 in terms of campaign momentum, and the campaign itself is more prepared and organized to take advantage of that momentum.

We should be utilizing this time to find other local supporters, and identifying and electing local candidates who will nullify the unconstitutional oversteps of the fedgov.

Cabal
10-21-2011, 02:14 AM

It's like night and day tbh

kojirodensetsu
10-21-2011, 02:16 AM
A lot better.

orenbus
10-21-2011, 07:46 AM
My biggest pet peeve is collectively we are still ignoring the early states, everyone is so focused on local projects, raising money, addressing the media and I don't think enough attention is being paid by most Ron Paul supporters on Iowa, NH and SC. Assuming we would do well was one of our biggest mistakes in 2007 we overestimated our base of support in the early states in terms of volunteers and voter outreach. I feel like we still don't have the ideal organization in the early states this time around as I would like. A hundred people to cover all of Iowa and New Hampshire is not enough for voter outreach.

The campaign has taken steps to correct this, this time around with the phone from home project, but I have a feeling we don't have nearly as many people on the phone lines as we should. And more people are focused on other projects as opposed to doing what they can to help the early states which really determines the media message and public perception for the rest of the election.

I'm doing what I can to help the early states, but I think not enough people are doing what they can to make a difference and people will just tunnel vision on activities that are helpful in a way but do not have direct impact on critical votes in the early primaries and caucuses.

Todd
10-21-2011, 07:50 AM
winning.

bluesc
10-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Better in some ways, the same in others. We're not doing worse in any way, so I guess that's a plus.

When you look at polling numbers, there isn't a huge improvement. But when you look at:

Organization
Focus on early states
Ads
Media coverage
Name recognition
Fundraising
The terrible field of candidates
The economic environment and the fact that Ron predicted these things
His son being a Senator
The Tea Party

We are doing much better.

Butchie
10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
My biggest pet peeve is collectively we are still ignoring the early states, everyone is so focused on local projects, raising money, addressing the media and I don't think enough attention is being paid by most Ron Paul supporters on Iowa, NH and SC. Assuming we would do well was one of our biggest mistakes in 2007 we overestimated our base of support in the early states in terms of volunteers and voter outreach. I feel like we still don't have the ideal organization in the early states this time around as I would like. A hundred people to cover all of Iowa and New Hampshire is not enough for voter outreach.

The campaign has taken steps to correct this, this time around with the phone from home project, but I have a feeling we don't have nearly as many people on the phone lines as we should. And more people are focused on other projects as opposed to doing what they can to help the early states which really determines the media message and public perception for the rest of the election.

I'm doing what I can to help the early states, but I think not enough people are doing what they can to make a difference and people will just tunnel vision on activities that are helpful in a way but do not have direct impact on critical votes in the early primaries and caucuses.

What can those of us do who live outside of those states? I'm not asking that in a sarcastic way I genuinely would like to know what I can do to help, I give to the moneybombs and all but short of taking a trip out there, which is not possible due to work and money restraints, I'm not sure what I can do.

airborne373
10-21-2011, 08:08 AM
The grassroots & the official campaign have really matured into an effective and powerful political lobby.

- RP has over 100,000 financial donors and growing.
- Campaigned and elected Rand Paul Senator of the Common Wealth of Kentucky.
- Established C4L & YAL.
- Established the FED as a core problem. Partial audit of the FED.
- Challenged Neo-liberalism & Neo - Conservatism in the media.
- A crop of new media and personalities who support the philosophy of liberty and sound money.
- Election of Senator Mike Lee, Utah.
- Reaching a critical mass of 10% of the population with the idea of personal liberty and sound money. I believe that happened sometime in 2011.

By any metric the rEVOLution is WINNING! But hang on because its gonna be bumpy.

JohnGalt23g
10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
We're doing better, if for no other reason than other candidates are adopting Ron's positions out of necessity.

Four years ago, people looked at Ron like he was from Mars when he talked about the Fed. Now, it's de rigueur to be anti-Fed.

cero
10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
I cried my self to sleep after IA, NOT THIS TIME!

libertarian4321
10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Much better this time, especially in the polling.

donnay
10-21-2011, 11:44 AM
We are more focused and we are resilient to the media--the more they ignore us the more we are determined to push them back!

ronpaulhawaii
10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
much better!

Press harder!

fisharmor
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
We must remember, winning the presidency should not be the primary goal.

Yeah, because RP will do much better in caucuses. :P

helmuth_hubener
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Things are much better. Butchie, you can spread the word to your family and friends, on the internet, etc. You can also put up Ron Paul signs in whatever overseas place you are and make a video and post the video on the internet. I always like to see "Singapore for Ron Paul" or "Estonia for Ron Paul" videos. The Revolution is world-wide!

BLS
10-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I cried my self to sleep after IA, NOT THIS TIME!

For me it was Super Tuesday. Many a beer was consumed that night.

liberalnurse
10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
We kept on making noise the past four years. And, hell no we weren't going away. To quote the good doctor, "No matter what was done to us, no matter how much we were ridiculed and ignored, as was done during the campaign, it only energised the grassroots." We focused our energy on Rand and we won. Rand, in his 12/16/2007 speech at Faneuill Hall in Boston said, "They ignore us at their own peril." I think they get us now, "NO ONE BUT PAUL."

RonPaulVolunteer
10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
I'd say that winning the Presidency is a big difference :D

eleganz
10-21-2011, 01:33 PM
In terms of grassroots, not as excited to do things locally but more enthused overall and organized, just not enough people physically there to show the strength of the army. all in my opinion.

In terms of campaigns, they're making all the right moves. I'm really enjoying the campaign and really do think we have a shot now, compared to a couple months ago when I didn't think it could happen.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2011, 01:35 PM
leaps and bounds BETTER
This^^ Back in '07 Ron was not just blacked out, he was flat out ignored. RP was almost unheard of till the debates in my area last time. I see a lot more RP stickers and such now, too. The ads are so much better this time! :toady: (anyone who remembers "he's catching on, I'm tellin ya!" knows what I'm talking about ;))

Meiun
10-21-2011, 01:35 PM
This time around:

We've raised more money (even if the moneybombs haven't been as big yet, we raise more overall)

ditto the sentiment. Also, I think personal perceptions of Ron by much of the electorate have changed. They are definitely looking, and they have been hurt by this economy. And, Obama was a big failure in terms of ending the wars and bringing the troops home. I believe it's now seen as a must instead a nicety.

tremendoustie
10-21-2011, 01:37 PM

We certainly could use more help here in NH.

harikaried
10-21-2011, 01:40 PM
What can those of us do who live outside of those states.Make calls for the campaign to identify voters!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?317029-Ron-Paul-Phone-from-Home-Program

The campaign can then follow up in-person and get them to vote for Ron Paul.

r3volution
10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
better in every aspect , but a lot still needs to be done .

Athan
10-21-2011, 01:57 PM
In Cameron County South Texas... we are all but dissolved (temporary situation though I believe). We are trying to get the group back (We are all still great friends) together but we are missing members who were critical in 2007-08 that moved. We have no established meeting place as a result but we have one in mind. Certain members have moved futher from the central town, and we have little to no organization. Our larger neighboring county to the west in Hidalgo seems to be doing great though!

Steve-in-NY
10-21-2011, 02:24 PM
What can those of us do who live outside of those states? I'm not asking that in a sarcastic way I genuinely would like to know what I can do to help, I give to the moneybombs and all but short of taking a trip out there, which is not possible due to work and money restraints, I'm not sure what I can do.
MAKE CALLS.
http://phone.ronpaul2012.com and/or http://volunteers.rp2012.org

walt
10-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd say better way overall.

That said, I think we are forgetting about some of the things that made us successful (thinking we can now do it the mainstream way)and I encourage a return to these basics:
- Large sign postings everywhere (for those that remember, think Arizona and Texas style, we must redo this especially early states)
- One to one conversations - note: these need to be asking questions about people's concerns, hearing their concerns and then (and only then) discussing how a policy of Ron Paul's will help - personalize to each person
- live streaming Ron's speeches so we can share the links with people, I'm not seeing the same quantity of these as we saw back then

If we get each new supporter to directly talk to 5 friends about why they became a supporter and ask them to do the same the media can't black us out. :)

P,S. Digg played a large role in driving awareness, what is the Digg of 2012? I'm not seeing it yet...

hammy
10-21-2011, 07:08 PM
That phone thing seems pretty cool. Can I just use google voice? Am I allowed to advertise Ronny a little? lol

Thurifer
10-21-2011, 07:40 PM
That phone thing seems pretty cool. Can I just use google voice? Am I allowed to advertise Ronny a little? lol

There's a script you have to follow. It's phone banking. What the campaign does is identify potential supporters, and sends them material. It's about getting the vote out. You're actually not supposed to advertise Ron since I think that's illegal in NH.

bluesc
10-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Just watch: http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/

That turnout is awesome, the speech is awesome. We can win Iowa.

McDermit
10-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Official HQ, overall fundraising, and our overall numbers have improved by leaps and bounds.

Locally, the enthusiasm isn't what it was 4 years ago. This time in 07, we had 50+ people at our meetings, weekly sign waves with 10+ people, signs everywhere, and a really active core group of supporters. Right now? No signs. 4 people at the latest sign wave, 16 people at the most recent monthly planning meeting, ball was dropped on several major events that never materialized. Hopefully once the November election is over, things will start picking up.

idiom
10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I f we win in Iowa it will re-ignite hope in so many people who were crushed in 2008.

Ekrub
10-21-2011, 08:53 PM
2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8&feature=watch_response_rev

2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7RaYbToq7Q&feature=player_embedded

I wasn't around in 2007/08, but they really paved the way for what we have now. But I would say this campaign is worlds above the last one (just a little less endearing)

anaconda
10-21-2011, 09:07 PM
This time around:

We got a senator elected..

musicmax
10-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Ask me the evening of January 3rd.

10-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Far better. The campaign is putting Ron Paul in position to have a shot at winning some early primary states... whereas in 2007, it was all hopes and dreams.

All you need to know is learned by watching the following two advertisements. The first is from 2007, aired at a critical time right before the New Hampshire primary. The second is one of the first ads run this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNIeOB0whI

Dianne
10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Kick my ass, but we still have a lot of work to do. Ron Paul is much more confident then he was in 2007... And when I say confident, I don't mean his positions; I mean his power to deliver those positions. Paul is far better spoken now then he was in 2007, and although we all understood what he was saying; he had a difficult time delivering the message to the "sheeple". And of course the news media would intentionally try to reshape his answers.

Beside Paul having the confidence to get out there and kick some double ass this time, we are no longer described by scourge such as Hannity as the people in the tin foil hats.... the aunts and uncles locked in a basement somewhere; as we were in 2007.

The GOP, and the trash they feed us (like Cain, Perry, Romney), can't win without us. So hold your heads up high and stay loyal... The GOP cannot win an election without Ron Paul supporters.. so they better migrate to our camp, cause we are sure as hell not going to migrate to their's.

10-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Kick my ass, but we still have a lot of work to do. Ron Paul is much more confident then he was in 2007... And when I say confident, I don't mean his positions; I mean his power to deliver those positions. Paul is far better spoken now then he was in 2007, and although we all understood what he was saying; he had a difficult time delivering the message to the "sheeple". And of course the news media would intentionally try to reshape his answers.

Beside Paul having the confidence to get out there and kick some double ass this time, we are no longer described by scourge such as Hannity as the people in the tin foil hats.... the aunts and uncles locked in a basement somewhere; as we were in 2007.

The GOP, and the trash they feed us (like Cain, Perry, Romney), can't win without us. So hold your heads up high and stay loyal... The GOP cannot win an election without Ron Paul supporters.. so they better migrate to our camp, cause we are sure as hell not going to migrate to their's.

We have a lot of work to do, no doubt. The longest part of the battle is ahead.

ProBlue33
10-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I signed up after the "remember, remember the 5th of November money bomb", the momentum was amazing but not realized at primary time, online support did not translate into real life support. In four years many have awoken to the truth, and many have seen the mirage of "hope & change" vanish.
The first real test for me will come in the December tea party money bomb, we MUST beat the 6 million figure on that money bomb. That is the real acid test, I hope you guys are not blowing all your $2500 on all these other money bombs. Save some for that guy.

SpicyTurkey
10-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Money wise and support wise? Much better.

slamhead
10-21-2011, 10:16 PM
I think the only thing lacking this time around as compared to 08 is sign waiving. Meetups were a lot more active in 08. We would get 20-40 people showing up for those events. I went to a sign waiving from a meetup that has 450 people and only a half dozen people showed up.

zmall88
10-21-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't post here often but I this was a thought provoking thread. I was a county coordinator for the campaign in 2007/08, so maybe I have a little bit of insight.

2007/08 was all about the war and because the democrats hogged that issue, Ron Paul didn't fare as well as he could have. The grassroots was pushing the campaign; it was really amazing. It was a truly "distributed"/libertarian method of running a campaign. People are so creative when left to their own devices; a la moneybombs, tea parties (before they were co-opted by the foaming-at-the-mouth war mongers), the blimp, and so many other really awesome things. The supporters were way more hardcore and dedicated - maybe four years of listening to RP has made us complacent, but when he first talked at a debate, it was unbelievable. I remember us standing outside a basketball game in the middle of January with temperatures in the negative 30-40s (with wind chill) handing out Ron Paul flyers for hours!

The media coverage was zilch, we created all our coverage - it sucked really. A news anchor mentioning Paul for 30 seconds has the same effect has going door to door for a whole day. There is a world of difference now, he regularly gets media coverage (still not as fair), people are educated about his issues and the man, even conservatives like Sean Hannity (as of yesterday) are jumping on to the bandwagon. I really feel we have a good chance this time around - last time we were all lying to ourselves about how the polls were inherently biased, blah blah to keep us going.

Another thing I have to mention: Ron Pauls gotten old in these four years. He's lost alot of that fiery speech and confrontational attitude. The wrinkles on his face are way bigger and he strings up strange incoherent sentences every now and then. I'm not blaming him, he's pushing 76, not much more a man can do.

I can go on and on, but maybe I should stop.

BIG_J
10-21-2011, 11:42 PM
In 07/08 I would talk about the Fed or monetary policy to my parents and my xgfs parents and it would be ... "Why should I care about that..." Now, our talking points, are part of the mainstream. It's not so much, "I'm not going to vote for Ron Paul because he can't win..." it's, "Well, we should really audit the fed, and I really don't like my savings being debased 4% a year for no reason..."... It's a complete night and day switch really. I think we could actually win Iowa. Last time, we had every supporter from the corresponding states come to the straw poll for Paul, and we maybe had 700-1000, this year, it was complete instanity in his tents...The fact that Rand was elected just goes to show how much "he's catching on" haha...Our ads our some of the best out there. This is a professionally run campaign. Even if we "Don't"
win the nomination, we won the conversation and have a candidate for 2016. Seems like we are at 10-12% now...I don't know what the actual "tipping point" is, but it seems to be 15%, once we hit that, as a movement, we'll be unstoppable.

Ron's legacy may not be winning the battle, but winning the war. I hope to live long enough to see another liberty caucus president.

RonPaulCult
10-22-2011, 12:45 AM
The campaign is doing 1 billion times better.

Grassroots is doing a little worse in my opinion. We were WAY more active last time. I hope everybody is phoning from home out there....

heavenlyboy34
10-22-2011, 01:16 AM
The campaign is doing 1 billion times better.

Grassroots is doing a little worse in my opinion. We were WAY more active last time. I hope everybody is phoning from home out there....
Srsly? I notice a lot more fundraising, education stuff, etc. than last time around. Maybe I'm just more conscious of it, though.

realtonygoodwin
10-22-2011, 01:18 AM
About twice or maybe three times better.
Not good enough to win yet though. Our strategy seems to be relying on the other candidates to self destruct.